Leroy Boyce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A direct mention of the campaign!

http://www.thisisbusiness-eastmidlan...l/article.html
Old 6 Jan 2010, 11:05 (Ref:2608844)   #277
mickey29
Racer

England
Wellingborough
mickey29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmickey29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well done Leroy for initiating this campaign!
Old 6 Jan 2010, 11:29 (Ref:2608866)   #278
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The campaign is a good thing & the recent news from Kevin Wheatcroft as reported above is good news but any new company will need to be convinced of the financial viability of the circuit. They will want to know that they can get a decent return on their investment. 10-15% pa probably. And its clear that the Wheatcrofts are still hoping to get a reasonable sized lease fee from any new operator. All the people that have signed up to the facebook campaign & have supported the campaign with e-mails etc need to get out & buy tickets to watch race meetings regularly....for several years to come. And encourage their friends. That's far more important than turning up once, on a day in March
Old 6 Jan 2010, 11:38 (Ref:2608873)   #279
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
/\ /\ Very true Andy, but to hopefully convince any interested investors that it will be a viable (er) investment, a huge show of interest via facebook, e-mails and a parade at the circuit should help convince them that these people will indeed be paying customers once the circuit has re-opened.
Old 6 Jan 2010, 12:14 (Ref:2608892)   #280
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
This is great news Leroy well done and Andy wise words I am sure but I feel a tad pessimistic, the news from Kevin as I read it is very positive indeed especially the fact he has 12 bodies interested in the place.
Old 6 Jan 2010, 12:36 (Ref:2608899)   #281
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll be there on 7 march, Al, and I really want the place to re-open as a successful circuit. I just think that the enthusiasm for the campaign needs to be linked to a longer term plan. I really would suggest that everyone that joins the campaign also joins the Donington Park Racing Association Club (http://www.dprac.co.uk/index.html) and continues to support the circuit in subsequent years. DPRAC is a volunteer club of enthusiasts who have raised money over many years in the past for additional kit (medical & rescue gear) for the circuit, support for Marshals, welfare support for injured racers etc. DPRAC does not have a role running the circuit but its support to the circuit is extremely beneficial. In return, club members have in the past got discounted tickets to some race meetings, free tickets to a few club events, have access to a small enclosure, grandstand and club house overlooking the circuit, and a courtesy track day at the end of the season.

If support for the campaign can be linked to DPRAC then perhaps that will demostrate longer term support than just the 7 March visit, good an idea as that is on its own.
Old 6 Jan 2010, 12:42 (Ref:2608901)   #282
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
The campaign is a good thing & the recent news from Kevin Wheatcroft as reported above is good news but any new company will need to be convinced of the financial viability of the circuit. They will want to know that they can get a decent return on their investment. 10-15% pa probably. And its clear that the Wheatcrofts are still hoping to get a reasonable sized lease fee from any new operator. All the people that have signed up to the facebook campaign & have supported the campaign with e-mails etc need to get out & buy tickets to watch race meetings regularly....for several years to come. And encourage their friends. That's far more important than turning up once, on a day in March
That's exactly what was suggested to Leroy elsewhere that he regarded as "negative". Donington is a huge commercial undertaking, this isn't like protesting against government fuel taxes. Donington is likely to need millions of pounds of investment to bring it up to standard

A campaign to encourage attending club and national racing would be a great idea that would have a knock on effect throughout the sport.
Old 6 Jan 2010, 12:52 (Ref:2608908)   #283
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Donington is likely to need millions of pounds of investment to bring it up to standard
According to Kevin more like £600,000 to repair the damage and get it back up and running which sounds far more realistic to me. I will support it by turning up in my race car once its open to racing again.
Old 6 Jan 2010, 12:53 (Ref:2608909)   #284
skentellytubby
Racer

United Kingdom
Manchester
skentellytubby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well done Lee, you got on with it and did something about it for everyone's benefit and I for one am very grateful to you.

2010 will be my first racing season and Donington would have been a highlight, so with a bit of luck I may now actually get to have a play there in the next 12 months.

Kevin has done the right thing in making their basic intentions known, that being that those intentions are good. They can't do any more than that right now really.

Tom put so much into the track its no surprise to me that they intend to do something about it, its part of the family?? They just dont feel able to run it themselves, which is fair enough.

It can't be easy seeing some fool disassemble your dad's hard work while you are coming to terms with his passing away. Its just taken time and a bit of a friendly shove in the right direction thanks to Lee's campaign.

Is the rally still going ahead Lee? Hope so!

As Andy and Piglet says, if we want the place open and stay open we have to support it beyond turning up on one day in March. 10% ROI has got to be a minimum these days.

Simon

Last edited by skentellytubby; 6 Jan 2010 at 12:59. Reason: .
Old 6 Jan 2010, 13:01 (Ref:2608912)   #285
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
According to Kevin more like £600,000 to repair the damage and get it back up and running which sounds far more realistic to me. I will support it by turning up in my race car once its open to racing again.
As a long term prospect, the whole circuit needs a huge amount of investment to bring it up to a decent standard - semi decent toilets around the paddock would be a start.

Sticking the track back together would just be the start, it needs decent hospitality centres if anyone is to have a hope of maximising revenues and that requires investment.

The Wheatcrofts haven't run the circuit themselves for years, it was leased to (??) Clear Channel before DVLL.
Old 6 Jan 2010, 13:03 (Ref:2608913)   #286
Piglet
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by skentellytubby View Post
Kevin has done the right thing in making their basic intentions known, that being that those intentions are good. They can't do any more than that right now really.
Other than drop the price the rent DVLL was paying appeared to be enormous!
Old 6 Jan 2010, 13:25 (Ref:2608923)   #287
Mr Don
Rookie

Ireland
Loughborough uk
Mr Don should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Boyce's Bumps
Oh yes, definitely
Old 6 Jan 2010, 13:40 (Ref:2608926)   #288
skentellytubby
Racer

United Kingdom
Manchester
skentellytubby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet View Post
Ha!!

Fair point though, I wonder how much the track "really" owes them....?
Old 6 Jan 2010, 14:25 (Ref:2608932)   #289
Leroy Boyce
Rookie

Someone has very generously set up a "proper" website!

savedonington.co.uk

Spread the word!
Old 6 Jan 2010, 16:44 (Ref:2608978)   #290
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
That's been the case for as long as the circuit has been leased to others. Sorry to say it, but it's true.
Old 6 Jan 2010, 17:08 (Ref:2608988)   #291
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy Boyce View Post
Someone has very generously set up a "proper" website!

savedonington.co.uk

Spread the word!
One minor thing about publishing those emails - the one which asks "why have you not replied?" misses the point that the original respondent could well have lost, or have been losing, their job at the time. Attacking the PR department in that way seems a little bit insensitive to me.

Still, well done on organising the groundswell of support for DP. I'll try to be there in Probans on the 7th if I can!
Old 6 Jan 2010, 17:47 (Ref:2609001)   #292
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Quote:
As a long term prospect, the whole circuit needs a huge amount of investment to bring it up to a decent standard - semi decent toilets around the paddock would be a start.

Sticking the track back together would just be the start, it needs decent hospitality centres if anyone is to have a hope of maximising revenues and that requires investment.

The Wheatcrofts haven't run the circuit themselves for years, it was leased to (??) Clear Channel before DVLL.
I always found it fine myself maybe I am just not fussy but no problem with the toilets or the hostpitality suites etc. it is a race track after all just what do you expect. I thought the pub was good and the food good as well, no problem at all as far as i was concerned then again I am not a BTCC or F1 hero. No worse and a lot better than the likes of Croft, Snett, Lydden, Pembrey, Cadwell, Thruxton, Combe and only surpassed by Brands and Silverstone both of which were not up to Uncle Bernies standards but so what.
Old 6 Jan 2010, 17:53 (Ref:2609004)   #293
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
thats the 1 good thing out of all of this...redgate pub has been saved....now jus give us back the bloody bridge n spitfire and we'll call it quits LOL
Old 6 Jan 2010, 18:14 (Ref:2609010)   #294
Leroy Boyce
Rookie

I have been passed some interesting information from a reliable source:

"It is expected that club racing will start sometime this year. Repairs to the track will be starting in one month and will take six-seven weeks to complete."
Old 6 Jan 2010, 18:17 (Ref:2609016)   #295
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
good stuff....id love club racing to start there asap....its a real shame tho..donington deserves international events...would have loved to have that infield loop if nothin else...would have been awesome!!!
Old 6 Jan 2010, 18:21 (Ref:2609018)   #296
RCMADD
Racer

England
derby
RCMADD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
that suits me just fine

there is a bump down craner just as it flicks left before old hairpin im going to call boyces bump
Old 6 Jan 2010, 20:29 (Ref:2609083)   #297
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Best place to lift.
Old 6 Jan 2010, 21:14 (Ref:2609112)   #298
cannardd
Racer

United Kingdom
London, England
cannardd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy Boyce View Post
I have been passed some interesting information from a reliable source:

"It is expected that club racing will start sometime this year. Repairs to the track will be starting in one month and will take six-seven weeks to complete."
One of the championships I'm involved with this year has today added Donington to its calendar in August, admittedly with a "TBC" but that is understandable as the work still needs to be done.

With that and the news from Kevin today is finally something hopeful.

Old 6 Jan 2010, 21:19 (Ref:2609115)   #299
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well somthing positive about this lovely place at last

Will definately make a trip up there from the South this year to lend my support

Gillett, where are you?/ Does anyone know??
Old 6 Jan 2010, 22:56 (Ref:2609149)   #300
Leroy Boyce
Rookie

A great article can be found here:
http://www.britsonpole.com/fans-welc...ture-post19631