Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 12 Jul 2010, 06:39 (Ref:2725242)   #1
LC2guy
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
LC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think they've suffered with image a bit as they are always on the same bill as the same model of car but in a higher class that looks sexier and is much faster. If they were on their own as a GT race with a mix of s/seaters and saloon cars making up the program, they'd probably be the most popular on the bill.
Old 12 Jul 2010, 20:58 (Ref:2725716)   #2
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
dj4monie is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Not sure what happen to the Euro series or and the UK series is dominated by Ginettas.

I would run a couple of Boss 302R's in Europe, I'm kinda surprised nobody has imported any. I know a Dutch or a Belgian team was suppose to run some Camaros.

The only part of Grand Am I can stand is Grand Am Cup and that's because it was never their idea... It was originally the IMSA Firestone Firehawk Series...
Old 12 Jul 2010, 21:20 (Ref:2725732)   #3
Quintin03
Veteran

Netherlands
Quintin03 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4monie View Post
I know a Dutch or a Belgian team was suppose to run some Camaros.
Yes, Equipe Verschuur. One of their cars didn't meet the delivery, the second broke before round one and the third broke during round one. They've had problems ever since I believe.
Old 12 Jul 2010, 21:28 (Ref:2725737)   #4
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

The only part of Grand Am I can stand is Grand Am Cup and that's because it was never their idea... It was originally the IMSA Firestone Firehawk Series...
As if IMSA invented showroom stock racing... and just FYI, there's no direct lineage between the Firehawk series and Conti Challenge:

Quote:
The Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge is a racing series run by the Grand American Road Racing Association. Originating from the Canadian Motorola Cup, the series was taken over by Grand-Am in 2001 to become the Grand-Am Cup following the demise of rival IMSA's Firehawk series of similar rules in the US.
Old 13 Jul 2010, 19:17 (Ref:2726248)   #5
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
As if IMSA invented showroom stock racing... and just FYI, there's no direct lineage between the Firehawk series and Conti Challenge:
Ova here, Stockroom Stock was invented by the SCCA to replace a series of classes that in years past had Mustang GT350's and such in them. They slowly got replaced with tube chassis cars and the cost shot through the roof.

There is a direct lineage between the Firehawk series and Conti Challenge and he's how I know this.

IMSA's series was different than SCCA because IMSA allowed minor modifications (bolt-ons). In fact there is not a ton of difference between the Eagle Talon's that the Archer Brothers fielded and the Talon's they fielded in SCCA World Challenge T2.

SCCA Showroom Stock was stock until the Dodge Neon ACR started to dominate SSC that they allowed "Trunk Kits". Otherwise you had to race the cars as they came with bolt-in roll bars. The Neon had 1 way adjustable Koni struts (1997-99 MY) and they were sloted for vastly more camber adjustment than what was found on most cars in its class, I know I had one Plus all the engineers in Chrysler Small Car raced the things so they had custom flashed ECU's and blueprinted engines.... These things are fairly normal in Showroom Stock.

But anyway, the Firehawk series became the Speedvision Endurance series when Firestone ended its relationship and Toyo was brought in. When Speedvision, then Speed dropped direct sponsorship, what was left of it merged with the Canadian Motorola Cup and THAT became The Conti Challenge.

Last edited by dj4monie; 13 Jul 2010 at 19:22.
Old 13 Jul 2010, 06:52 (Ref:2725890)   #6
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
...and the UK series is dominated by Ginettas.
I wouldn't quite say that, the Lotus 2-11 has proven quick in the 3 races it has taken part in & would have won at Knockhill if it hadn't been rudely punted off & in to retirement by a Viper at a late re-start.
Old 13 Jul 2010, 19:26 (Ref:2726253)   #7
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
I wouldn't quite say that, the Lotus 2-11 has proven quick in the 3 races it has taken part in & would have won at Knockhill if it hadn't been rudely punted off & in to retirement by a Viper at a late re-start.
I haven't seen much of the British GT series this year. The person that used to record the series doesn't seem to anymore and of course I can't watch it here without torrents available.

I know Chad Racing is doing European GT3 this season.
Old 14 Jul 2010, 01:27 (Ref:2726372)   #8
pez
Rookie

pez should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the British GT is not a good yard stick for GT4.
The European series has much better success with approx grid sizes of 15 cars and I understand some other national GT4 series have momentum such as the Dutch GT4.

The Asia series launched this yr has about 10 cars on the grid with supposedly a couple more to join later in the yr.
Old 15 Jul 2010, 06:21 (Ref:2726933)   #9
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pez View Post
the British GT is not a good yard stick for GT4.
The European series has much better success with approx grid sizes of 15 cars and I understand some other national GT4 series have momentum such as the Dutch GT4.

The Asia series launched this yr has about 10 cars on the grid with supposedly a couple more to join later in the yr.
I'd hardly call 15 cars 'success'

There is some good racing in GT4 but not enough cars on the grid - That means that either the formula doesn't appeal to prospective racers or the costs don't stack up - see anbove for the response from an actual prospective competitor!
Old 15 Jul 2010, 19:50 (Ref:2727269)   #10
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Goodwin View Post

There is some good racing in GT4 but not enough cars on the grid - That means that either the formula doesn't appeal to prospective racers or the costs don't stack up - see anbove for the response from an actual prospective competitor!
I know Graham you have seen a Conti Cup event or when it was Motorola or Speevision. I think it ran with the ALMS in the early days.

50+ car grids are nothing to sneeze at and GS which is similar enough to GT4 that the same Mustang FR500 is raced in Europe without only minor changes has 27 cars.

They also have taped delayed TV Coverage. This weekends New Jersey race will be shown one week after it runs this Saturday.

I wouldn't call its fanbase large its basically an extension of those that follow Cup racing because many teams and drivers come directly from that environment.

Do you have Ratel's ear?

Last edited by dj4monie; 15 Jul 2010 at 20:15.
Old 15 Jul 2010, 19:59 (Ref:2727278)   #11
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Goodwin View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iF7RAmG1gwQ&hd=1

GS Start from Mid Ohio

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WnVJfI8dj8&hd=1

ST Start from Mid Ohio

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K93SgdIdoRA

More ST Coverage

This is something Manufactures can embrace from top to bottom.