Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 25 Oct 2011, 18:57 (Ref:2976723)   #3676
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Really hoping G H-C stays in sportscars in some capacity, whether it be with a new manufacturer or as a team boss of a private effort.

Ditto the Aston Martin drivers in Vantages. They, as well as many members of that team, deserved better.
Old 25 Oct 2011, 20:48 (Ref:2976773)   #3677
Livininthinair
Veteran

United States
Colorado
Livininthinair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLivininthinair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will AMR use a developed version of the new GT3 V12 Vantage or stick with the V8???... They have the drivers and the history to become what we all know they can be...

Last edited by Livininthinair; 25 Oct 2011 at 21:06.
Old 25 Oct 2011, 21:04 (Ref:2976784)   #3678
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Just a reminder that a separate thread has been opened about G H-C and speculation as to his plans.
Old 25 Oct 2011, 23:27 (Ref:2976841)   #3679
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamasque View Post
The biggest problem with Vantage is that it didn't get the treatment that DBR9 had. They should have raced it competitively for a few years and then sell a lot of them to privateers, it would be a top machine by now. Instead they were busy with LMP1 and hoping the V8 will sort itself out somehow.
This is a fair point and I think it shows the reason why AMR has struggled the last few years. I think they have simply bitten off more than they can chew. Developing the Lola-V12 and "developing" the Vantage at the same time was probably pushing it given their budget, but then developing a totally new in-house LMP1 while "developing" the Vantage takes the strain to a whole new level. Focusing on the Vantage while ignoring everything else might enable them to get back into gear. We'll see though. They have some work to do and who knows what their budget situation is like at the moment. If nothing else, as KA said, just having some stability and everyone working in the same direction should help tremendously. I just hope they don't try to take (politic for) any shortcuts.

Also, getting some fresh ideas into the organization may be beneficial after a disastrous season. I hope this discussion isn't off topic given the new GH-C thread, but wasn't GH-C given some new responsibilities/job title within AMR this season? Something about him focusing on just the factory team instead of all the privateer efforts? Maybe that did not work so well. It's hard to say from the outside.

Speaking of the privateers, what is AMR's relationship like with the privateers at the moment? Has the AMR-Jota situation been settled as far as deposits and stuff go? How is working with AMR different than working with Porsche and Ferrari? Could that situation be improved? I wonder how AMR running factory Vantages will impact the privateer situation. It could lead to a better car for privateers, but teams may not want to compete against the factory. We'll have to see how that shakes out because I know the privateers are an important revenue stream for AMR.
Old 26 Oct 2011, 00:29 (Ref:2976859)   #3680
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGD View Post
I wonder how AMR running factory Vantages will impact the privateer situation. It could lead to a better car for privateers, but teams may not want to compete against the factory. We'll have to see how that shakes out because I know the privateers are an important revenue stream for AMR.
You would think if they went that route, that they would compete in WEC, and hope to sell to privateers for ALMS and LMS... but who knows.
Old 26 Oct 2011, 08:50 (Ref:2976942)   #3681
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
I think that would be their best move . Gather some reputation back up .

Would love to see that P1 engine being developed though .
Old 26 Oct 2011, 09:26 (Ref:2976958)   #3682
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
G H-C ran the racing and IMO they tried to do too much and in that I agree with AGD. The attempt at LMP1 distracted from what should have been a racing department in the Porsche mould that sold cars and supported the best teams to get results and sell more cars.

I have spoken to drivers with wide experience and the continuing theme is that the GT cars needed development to make them easier to drive and more reliable. Reliability was the major problem with Drayson, niggling problems restricted JMW and it seemed that resources at AM Racing were spread too thinly. Just who in the organisation insisted on an LMP1 programme we shall never know, that it was a mistake is clear with hindsite and G H-C was in charge. It will be interesting to see what happens next but if it were my decision I would shelve LMP 1 and build on the GTE potential that JMW revealed, perhaps it was a lack support that made them move back to Ferrari and if so that will worry other potential Pro teams, even that perception will put people off.
Old 26 Oct 2011, 10:08 (Ref:2976991)   #3683
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by old man View Post
Just who in the organisation insisted on an LMP1 programme we shall never know, that it was a mistake is clear with hindsite and G H-C was in charge.
It's definitely clear and obvious to say that the AMR-One was a mistake. A huge mistake. Was the Lola-V12 a mistake? That's harder to say. On one hand, building and running that took away from building a competent GT2/GTE car. On the other hand, the Lola-V12 was quite successful in terms of wins in the ALMS and LMS and it did win the LMS title in 2009. Perhaps it had a better shot at winning titles in the LMS (back when it was new) than the GT2 car did even with equal development. It's hard to say. LMP1 and GT2 were both quite competitive in the LMS back during that time period.

Either way, it is obvious now that the only prototypes AMR should consider are LMP2s. Maybe an LMP1 for the ALMS, but building a new car and hoping to sell them to ALMS teams is probably not a good idea either. Ultimately they really should just put all their effort into developing the Vantage so that they can show themselves well to potential sponsors/collectors for the factory team and regain the trust of the privateers.
Old 26 Oct 2011, 10:47 (Ref:2977013)   #3684
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGD View Post
It's definitely clear and obvious to say that the AMR-One was a mistake. A huge mistake
The engine wasnt a mistake . Just didnt have the development on it .

Im sure they could build a great car , if they did aero development both on and off the track . I think this point has been proven well enough .

Just one example ..... Pescarolo . In the early days of Pescarolo Sports , the car didnt see a wind tunnel either , but it did have the attention of Andre de Cortanze (ex-Toyota) . When it recieved wind tunnel time , it was quicker over a lap at Le Mans that any Audi R8 was .

Nuff said .
Old 26 Oct 2011, 19:55 (Ref:2977356)   #3685
canam
Veteran

canam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
The engine wasnt a mistake . Just didnt have the development on it .

Im sure they could build a great car , if they did aero development both on and off the track . I think this point has been proven well enough .

Just one example ..... Pescarolo . In the early days of Pescarolo Sports , the car didnt see a wind tunnel either , but it did have the attention of Andre de Cortanze (ex-Toyota) . When it recieved wind tunnel time , it was quicker over a lap at Le Mans that any Audi R8 was .

Nuff said .
That was the Hybrid year...where it had a stonkingly large restrictor--and everyone else was emasculated. Henri played the game....and still didn't win. It wasn't the aero. Bad example. After quali, JJ Lehto said "are these cars (Pescas) in the same race?"

French entry at the time.
Old 26 Oct 2011, 21:54 (Ref:2977409)   #3686
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by canam View Post
That was the Hybrid year...where it had a stonkingly large restrictor--and everyone else was emasculated. Henri played the game....and still didn't win. It wasn't the aero. Bad example. After quali, JJ Lehto said "are these cars (Pescas) in the same race?"

French entry at the time.
Leaving aside the French predilection to favour a French team every 10 years with a 5 in it, my understanding is that the 2005 hybrid Pescarolo hadn't yet seen a wind tunnel in terms of formal development - which perhaps says something about the regs that year - although the Pescorolos were a lot lot faster than the other Dome and Courage hybrids.

When it did, however, it was extraordinary. Given the DNA of the chassis and engine what it was able to do in 2009 once there was some aero time is really noteworthy - for all that the first hour at Silverstone that year can be put down to Bouillon and total commitment, the car didn't hurt much either. Perhaps more telling on this note is Premat's comment this year that the Oak-Pescarolo was better balanced than any Audi he'd ever driven.

Dragging this back on topic however... The Courage C60 that the Pescarolo evolved from was reasonably competitive from day one. With the AMR-ONE all we have are the disappointing results and the comments from those involved, which indicate that there might have been something more than what we got from the car.

I'll go back to what I've said elsewhere - had it run longer in June and thus been allowed to continue it might have surprised many of us - and I'm sad it didn't on a whole number of levels, not least in that it means we almost certainly won't have an Aston Martin LMP1 at Le Mans in 2012.
Old 26 Oct 2011, 22:29 (Ref:2977416)   #3687
AGD
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge View Post
I'll go back to what I've said elsewhere - had it run longer in June and thus been allowed to continue it might have surprised many of us - and I'm sad it didn't on a whole number of levels, not least in that it means we almost certainly won't have an Aston Martin LMP1 at Le Mans in 2012.
Surprised us? How? If I remember correctly, the AMR-Ones were hanging with the tail end of the LMP2 pack in practice and qualifying. It's also worth noting that the drivers reported that it drove well while competing with the dregs of the LMP2 class. A car handling well does not mean it is a fast car. In fact, it could be argued that teams like Audi hire the best drivers so that they can drive a fast car that is a bit on the edge so they can maximize performance.
Old 27 Oct 2011, 03:27 (Ref:2977471)   #3688
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
The drivers and everyone else in the team said the real problem was that the car was massively down on power. The available data kinda confirmed that. It's only after Mulsanne Mike had basically called it all a web of lies this forum collectively written off the chassis and all of a sudden acquired faith in the potential of i6 turbocharged engine. The truth is that we don't really know.
Old 27 Oct 2011, 06:51 (Ref:2977510)   #3689
JayBMS
Racer

Italy
JayBMS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Aston Martin Le Mans Festival mentioned here is interesting.

http://www.amr-teams.co.uk/2011/10/a...turns-for.html

To me suggests that they are putting big effort into LM this year.
Old 27 Oct 2011, 12:44 (Ref:2977679)   #3690
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBMS View Post
The Aston Martin Le Mans Festival mentioned here is interesting.

http://www.amr-teams.co.uk/2011/10/a...turns-for.html

To me suggests that they are putting big effort into LM this year.
Doesn't seem like anything other than a support race with a grandstanding name. But it maybe implies they had hoped to have something in the field in the main race. I'm not sure how far in advance these support slots are agreed?
Old 27 Oct 2011, 14:26 (Ref:2977724)   #3691
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Looks like a non Championship race of 45 minutes, for V8 Vantages in GT4...
Nothing else.
It would be kind of nice to have GT1, 2, 3 & 4 Astons in a single race! LM is big enough you're unlikely to get anyone being lapped...
Old 28 Oct 2011, 08:53 (Ref:2978071)   #3692
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Two car GTE team for the WEC seems to be the plan.

http://twitter.com/#!/dsceditor/stat...39319434268672
Old 28 Oct 2011, 08:53 (Ref:2978072)   #3693
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Double post
Old 28 Oct 2011, 09:00 (Ref:2978076)   #3694
Asa
Veteran

Hong Kong
Disneyland
Asa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/95707

"Alan Wickham has already left the Renault team to take up a role in sportscar racing."

Could this be Aston Martin?
Old 28 Oct 2011, 09:47 (Ref:2978097)   #3695
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Two car works GTE Pro team for World Championship also reported on DSC who seem to think a full assault on GT racing is the plan, seems sensible to me!
Old 28 Oct 2011, 11:11 (Ref:2978149)   #3696
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Good news all things considering. Better than nothing.
Old 28 Oct 2011, 11:18 (Ref:2978153)   #3697
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Good news all things considering. Better than nothing.
I think its brilliant news . You cant sell a half arsed car to customers , and then expect them to come back .

The Vantage was unfinished business as far as Im concerned , and glad their returning to it .
Old 28 Oct 2011, 12:50 (Ref:2978192)   #3698
old man
Veteran

England
UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
I think its brilliant news . You cant sell a half arsed car to customers , and then expect them to come back .

The Vantage was unfinished business as far as Im concerned , and glad their returning to it .
I am sure JMW boss would agree, their car was advertsied on DSC again recently
Old 28 Oct 2011, 12:53 (Ref:2978193)   #3699
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
I am a tad intrigued by the Le Mans Aston Festival... It may NOT be limited to GT4. I wonder if I may see my wish above?
Old 28 Oct 2011, 13:08 (Ref:2978205)   #3700
JayBMS
Racer

Italy
JayBMS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey View Post
I am a tad intrigued by the Le Mans Aston Festival... It may NOT be limited to GT4. I wonder if I may see my wish above?
I dont think it is, did some digging and a team running a 2012 spec GT4 Vantage (banned in AM GT4 Challenge) are planing to run in it. Plus a team I expect to see running a GT3 next year are planning to entre but wouldn't say what with...