Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 16 Oct 2012, 18:16 (Ref:3153004)   #1676
gregc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedford
gregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Read what auroan wrote again.

Quote:
The only way to change it is for the fastest of each chassis/engine combination to slow down
The calculation is done based on the single quickest car of each combination. So if Shedden is the quickest Honda, his and only his times will be used.

Edit - beaten to it
Old 16 Oct 2012, 18:27 (Ref:3153007)   #1677
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
If they need to do performance equalization at all, why can't they just dyno the engines at the start of the year and have them all set to "350 bhp" and have done with it. Why the need for meddling after every few rounds?
Old 16 Oct 2012, 18:44 (Ref:3153011)   #1678
gregc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedford
gregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
If they need to do performance equalization at all, why can't they just dyno the engines at the start of the year and have them all set to "350 bhp" and have done with it. Why the need for meddling after every few rounds?
That's the real problem this year and I intensely dislike the fact that Dynamics/Honda (this year - could easily be 888 next....) are getting penalised for developing the best car. I don't have an issue with a pre season equalisation really, it's as you say - it's the constant tinkering...

Anyway, hopefully Dick Bennetts' boost-adjustment-predictor-of-doom* has got it right and the MGs and Hondas will be moved back closer together.

*spreadsheet
Old 16 Oct 2012, 20:06 (Ref:3153039)   #1679
awrb
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
awrb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Well the problem with that is how the engine delivers the power. One will be more drivable and deliver its power in a more useful way than the other. So it will be better and people will moan.

Why do we suddenly have engine equalisation anyway? Where's this come from? A few years ago we didn't have it and no one had an engine that was so much better than the others they just drove away with it. There is absolutely no way to equalise engines because as soon as you do anything it becomes political, people think they are being victimised or someone else has come out of the equalisation process better off. The the moaning starts and people get really dissatisfied. Not to mention that if the engines are properly equalised they may as well all use the Swindon unit.
Old 16 Oct 2012, 20:12 (Ref:3153041)   #1680
CarsCarsCars
Racer

United Kingdom
UK
CarsCarsCars should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IMO the regs should outline how the engine can perform (ie must have a turbo be 2-litre etc. and more specific ones) so they all perform fairly evenly but teams can still have room to imorove and tweak.

As said above, this wasnt an issue before so why now? If every car had equal boost surely straight line speed would be quite even.
Old 16 Oct 2012, 20:23 (Ref:3153044)   #1681
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's not quite as simple as giving a car x amount of boost and them being even. For example the Golf has a lot of boost, but it's not producing lots of power due to the limitations of the engine design.
Old 16 Oct 2012, 20:29 (Ref:3153051)   #1682
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Forgive me for over simplifying this, however what I believe has happened is that Honda have actually gone out and produced a full on racing 2.0L turbo engine, all singing all dancing, however a lot of the other engines are a lot more basic (the TOCA unit - perhaps road going origins?) and are relying on a big turbo to give them the power?

Please correct me if I am wrong on that, however what I understood was that some teams designed full on racing engines, and others had adapted road going blocks...?
Old 16 Oct 2012, 21:18 (Ref:3153077)   #1683
auroan
Veteran

auroan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Forgive me for over simplifying this, however what I believe has happened is that Honda have actually gone out and produced a full on racing 2.0L turbo engine, all singing all dancing, however a lot of the other engines are a lot more basic (the TOCA unit - perhaps road going origins?) and are relying on a big turbo to give them the power?

Please correct me if I am wrong on that, however what I understood was that some teams designed full on racing engines, and others had adapted road going blocks...?
Not quite. All engine builders have to use road going engines and certain components from said engine as the base of their race versions. It just so happens that the Honda engine is a very strong engine in road going trim, and Neil Brown who build them have a lot of experience in getting the best out of it. Look how good the BMW NGTC engines are (which are also Neil Brown engines)
Old 16 Oct 2012, 21:39 (Ref:3153085)   #1684
Spanner monkey
Racer

England
Norwich
Spanner monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
however what I believe has happened is that Honda have actually gone out and produced a full on racing 2.0L turbo engine, all singing all dancing, however a lot of the other engines are a lot more basic (the TOCA unit - perhaps road going origins?) and are relying on a big turbo to give them the power?
The rules are the same for ALL engine builders & the turbo is a spec item. I believe Team hard lease an NBE engine (same as the NGTC spec in the TD/pirtek cars) for around £25,000 per season much cheaper than the bespoke World racing engines that RML lease to customers for 100k per season!!!!
Old 16 Oct 2012, 21:43 (Ref:3153087)   #1685
Spanner monkey
Racer

England
Norwich
Quote:
Why build a good car/engine combination when you'll just get your boost turned down so that the bloke in the shopping trolley can keep up?
Did'nt think the MG6 was as bad as a shopping trolley...
Old 16 Oct 2012, 21:47 (Ref:3153089)   #1686
Spanner monkey
Racer

England
Norwich
Quote:
For example the Golf has a lot of boost, but it's not producing lots of power due to the limitations of the engine design.
Or is the handling/aero not good enough? Even though they have done alot to bring it up to a competative S2000 spec.. All respect to AMD for taking on the challeng
Old 17 Oct 2012, 07:26 (Ref:3153209)   #1687
ckBrenneke
Rookie

ckBrenneke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Sally View Post
Go on!

Someone else is!!!!
Pirtek?
Old 17 Oct 2012, 12:27 (Ref:3153333)   #1688
Jiiiiiiim
Veteran

England
Devon
Jiiiiiiim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckBrenneke View Post
Pirtek?
Well Pirtek did say they considered using the Vectra for Silverstone so maybe if it is one of the Full NGTC spec Honda's that r sticking a Swindon unit in they'd give it a go!?!

If its not one of the full NGTC spec cars what about Team Hard and their S2000 Civic, seems they will have Swindon units in the Insignia!?!
Old 17 Oct 2012, 14:51 (Ref:3153369)   #1689
BtccLee
Veteran

BtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I didn't think we were having boost changes next year?
Old 17 Oct 2012, 18:56 (Ref:3153492)   #1690
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
It's not quite as simple as giving a car x amount of boost and them being even. For example the Golf has a lot of boost, but it's not producing lots of power due to the limitations of the engine design.
Same Lehmann unit in the RAR Audis, doesn't have much of a problem in those does it?
Old 17 Oct 2012, 19:06 (Ref:3153497)   #1691
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanner monkey View Post
Or is the handling/aero not good enough? Even though they have done alot to bring it up to a competative S2000 spec.. All respect to AMD for taking on the challeng
Ollie Jackson posted elsewhere that the engine design was the limiting factor, no matter how much boost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by medius View Post
Same Lehmann unit in the RAR Audis, doesn't have much of a problem in those does it?
RAR aren't using them anymore apparantly. They were kicking out 350BHP last year and they still are. They haven't got any faster, everyone else has caught up.
Old 17 Oct 2012, 19:07 (Ref:3153498)   #1692
auroan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by medius View Post
execpt it isn't. The Audis run a Petel ecu and other mandatory ngtc stuff. The golf runs a Bosch ecu. They having different intakes, manifolds, exhausts etc. Only the block, turbo
and fuel rail is the same.
Old 17 Oct 2012, 19:18 (Ref:3153504)   #1693
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
Ollie Jackson posted elsewhere that the engine design was the limiting factor, no matter how much boost.

RAR aren't using them anymore apparantly. They were kicking out 350BHP last year and they still are. They haven't got any faster, everyone else has caught up.
Who's doing RAR engines?
Old 17 Oct 2012, 19:29 (Ref:3153512)   #1694
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
Who's doing RAR engines?
Field Motorsport?
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/103481
Old 17 Oct 2012, 20:38 (Ref:3153544)   #1695
markreeves
Racer

England
Hull
markreeves should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Surprised no one’s mentioned Plato's post about boost pressures for Brands
Quote:
Audi A4 NGTC 0.100
Honda Civic NGTC 0.050
MG 6 NGTC TOCA 0.000
Proton NGTC TOCA 0.075
Toyota Avensis NGTC 0.075
Toyota Avensis NGTC TOCA 0.100
Vauxhall Insignia NGTC TOCA 0.125
BMW S2000 T 0.075
Ford Focus NGTC 0.050
Ford Focus S2000 T 0.100
Honda Civic S2000 T 0.100
Vauxhall Vectra S2000 T TOCA 0.100
VW Golf S2000 T 0.125

These are only the adjustments from the amount set at the start of the year though, so you still dont know what the actual amount is.
Old 18 Oct 2012, 08:43 (Ref:3153739)   #1696
W.A Trichlorostyrene
Veteran

W.A Trichlorostyrene should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Also from Plato, here's the boost for the latest round at Silverstone:

Quote:
Audi A4 NGTC 0.125
Honda Civic NGTC 0.000
MG 6 NGTC TOCA 0.050
Proton NGTC TOCA 0.100
Toyota Avensis NGTC 0.100
Toyota Avensis NGTC TOCA 0.075
Vauxhall Insignia NGTC TOCA 0.100
BMW S2000 T 0.050
Ford Focus NGTC 0.075
Ford Focus S2000 T 0.100
Honda Civic S2000 T 0.125
Vauxhall Vectra S2000 T TOCA 0.125
VW Golf S2000 T 0.125
Old 18 Oct 2012, 12:07 (Ref:3153821)   #1697
Spanner monkey
Racer

England
Norwich
JP's comments

Don't assume that the base boost level is the same for all the engines. Toca did flow work last year & set a baseline figure for each engine.
It does not mention the actual boost figures the cars baselines are set too. The Hondas base could be 1.6 & the MG at silverstone could of been 1.725 so loosing 0.050 boost from silverstone figures on the engine would'nt be that bad

But like mentioned elsewhere this is not official team statement - just what JP has posted..
Old 18 Oct 2012, 12:51 (Ref:3153846)   #1698
auroan
Veteran

The only base boost I know is the NBE Engine'd Honda's at 1.5Bar
Old 18 Oct 2012, 12:57 (Ref:3153852)   #1699
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by auroan View Post
The only base boost I know is the NBE Engine'd Honda's at 1.5Bar
This article describes the base flow analysis carried out.

An interesting point in this though is the mention that the performance calculation is an average.

I would hazard a guess that Plato and Neate's average is a lot lower than Neal, Shedden, Jordan and Smith's.....

'Thereafter, during the course of the season, a strict mathematic calculation – based on a rolling average of each model’s qualifying and lap times over a set number of events – will determine if any further changes should be made to their respective boost levels.'
Old 18 Oct 2012, 13:17 (Ref:3153861)   #1700
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ya, but is that the average of the fastest driver... or the average across everyone using that model of car ?