Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 3 Feb 2014, 23:19 (Ref:3363855)   #901
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
Audi Quattro in a forest The sound. Oh the sound.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAr1J2l2ch4

(driving is pretty decent too...)
Old 3 Feb 2014, 23:42 (Ref:3363860)   #902
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
I was going to ask what has that to do with sportscars, but maybe little bit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsMQRRVPmDw
Old 7 Mar 2014, 10:02 (Ref:3376076)   #903
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Le Mans 1971, in French, but pictures talk by themselves.
Old 7 Mar 2014, 10:51 (Ref:3376085)   #904
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Almost the same amount of night coverage we get now.
Old 7 Mar 2014, 18:31 (Ref:3376251)   #905
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PascaLM View Post
GREAT find there PascaLM. Just over seven and a half thousand views. We're gonna change that !
Old 8 Mar 2014, 09:26 (Ref:3376420)   #906
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PascaLM View Post
Thankyou.
You have made my day
Old 9 Mar 2014, 11:29 (Ref:3376681)   #907
SpikerJack
Racer

Italy
SpikerJack should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z20_OmYQrgw
Simon Pagenaud helmet cam sebring..
Old 9 Mar 2014, 21:07 (Ref:3376824)   #908
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FIA GT 1997, Helsinki, oh the noise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwB2kr71XVc
Old 9 Mar 2014, 21:18 (Ref:3376830)   #909
carbon_titanium
Veteran

carbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcarbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj choc ice View Post

Great video! if we think that actual racing cars have almost all kind of electronic help, power steering, AP racing or brembo state of art brakes, semiautomatic gearbox, super aero and super tyres. I just try to image how could it be for a driver to race with a beast like the mclaren f1 gtr or the CLK... over 600hp to control without TCS, no ABS, manual gearbox, poor aero and poor tyres quality (compared to nowadays). The driving skill level was simply insane.
Is easy enough to understand why "wannabe pro drivers" like enzo ide, von taxis and a lot others are able to mark performances similiar to a real pro driver.
Old 9 Mar 2014, 21:26 (Ref:3376833)   #910
TheDude
Racer

Portugal
Ourem
TheDude should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon_titanium View Post
Great video! if we think that actual racing cars have almost all kind of electronic help, power steering, AP racing or brembo state of art brakes, semiautomatic gearbox, super aero and super tyres. I just try to image how could it be for a driver to race with a beast like the mclaren f1 gtr or the CLK... over 600hp to control without TCS, no ABS, manual gearbox, poor aero and poor tyres quality (compared to nowadays). The driving skill level was simply insane.
Is easy enough to understand why "wannabe pro drivers" like enzo ide, von taxis and a lot others are able to mark performances similiar to a real pro driver.
I dont belive any of those GT1 cars had a Manual 'Box and I am pretty confident that those cars had more "liberal" aero than today's cars, and I agree, they tires today are massively better
Old 9 Mar 2014, 21:54 (Ref:3376840)   #911
carbon_titanium
Veteran

carbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcarbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
I dont belive any of those GT1 cars had a Manual 'Box and I am pretty confident that those cars had more "liberal" aero than today's cars, and I agree, they tires today are massively better
Late '90 GT1 had sequential gear box, is not a "full" manual, you're right, but drivers had to use clutch everytime during changing or shifting! it was a lot more stressfull than actual GTE/GT3 cars where drivers must to use clutch only to restart after a pit stop and to insert R. Don't forget also that nowadays the stick has basicly disappearead and with paddles, drivers never move arms from the steering wheel. About aero, well, the CLK and the 911 GT1 were not less than true prototypes, but we can't compare the old aero quality and downforce amount with the actual racing cars.

Last edited by carbon_titanium; 9 Mar 2014 at 22:01.
Old 9 Mar 2014, 22:32 (Ref:3376849)   #912
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
After watching FIA GT from that era and seeing how tail happy the Mercedes were, they must've been a handful to drive flat out, whatever gearbox they were using.

Great to watch though
Old 9 Mar 2014, 22:42 (Ref:3376856)   #913
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
SMG gearbox worked on the same principals as motorcycle gearboxes going all the way back to the Peugeot 905 in 1993. Usually, it was pull the lever back for up shifts, push forward for downshifts, aside from the McLaren F1, which was "backward" from that.

Personally, I see stick SMG gearboxes as an unhappy comprise--with paddles, you can keep both hands on the wheel and with a H pattern manual, you could skip gears if the gearbox was dodgy or to suit driving tactics.
Old 10 Mar 2014, 12:23 (Ref:3377062)   #914
deggis
Veteran

Finland
If late 90s GTs looked hard to drive, why not go back 10 years... Group C cars. And those were probably pretty pleasant ones to drive compared to 917... and so on.

But I think in the past 10 years or so a new level of "looks too easy" has been reached. When I watch onboards from LMPs or GTLM/Es, the word that comes to mind is: uninspiring. Even when compared to early 2000s, there is a big difference (e.g. this). I guess it is a combination of many things, cars being generally better handling, more advanced powersteering making it look like steering requires no effort at all, electronics and sadly traction control. It has become hard to even tell when the driver is really pushing.

I don't think stick shifting adds really that much. For example this onboard from is very exciting, the amount steering action and continuous corrections easily compensate.
Old 10 Mar 2014, 22:01 (Ref:3377228)   #915
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Carbotanium, the only time drivers needed to use clutch back then was starting and on downshifts, the box flat shifted on the upshift.

I think the fact cars look easy to drive is a combination of things, not the least sports biosciences, look at how fit and strong pro drivers today are compared to those years ago....
Old 11 Mar 2014, 07:24 (Ref:3377323)   #916
trickyd
Racer

trickyd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj choc ice View Post

It shows how much motorsport has changed over the last 15-20 years that they would even consider holding a round of an FIA World Championship in Finland, a European country made up predominantly of trees with a small population and no car manufacturer. Nowadays unless you sit on top of an enormous quantity of oil, can claim you are a growing market or are ruled by some despot with deep pockets you don't stand a chance, of course. For that reason alone, I like that video. Its old school in its own way!
Old 11 Mar 2014, 18:08 (Ref:3377483)   #917
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by trickyd View Post
It shows how much motorsport has changed over the last 15-20 years that they would even consider holding a round of an FIA World Championship in Finland?
Not a rallying fan then I take it?
Old 11 Mar 2014, 18:46 (Ref:3377497)   #918
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Apologies for continuing off topic, but putting my pedants hat on for a minute, while in the 90s Finland couldn't boast a domestic manufacturer of their own, Valmet built Saabs for the world market from the late 60s, and all Porsche Boxster and Cayman models were produced there until 2011. Vauxhall / Opel Calibra, also sundry Talbots and Ladas, and since last year the Mercedes A Class....

Made some cool farm tractors as well, think at one time Juha Kankkunen was sponsored by them!

Old 11 Mar 2014, 19:02 (Ref:3377499)   #919
carbon_titanium
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchZ06 View Post
Carbotanium, the only time drivers needed to use clutch back then was starting and on downshifts, the box flat shifted on the upshift.

I think the fact cars look easy to drive is a combination of things, not the least sports biosciences, look at how fit and strong pro drivers today are compared to those years ago....
In the last generation of GT1 cars (DBR9, C6R, S7R, MC12 and on) drivers had to use clutch only during downshifts, I guess we all know that, but I remeber a video about the mclaren f1 gtr where the driver clearly was using the clutch to upshift (after the tetre rouge around 0:54).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBEngMWNZe4

Maybe more recent cars like CLK and 911 GT1 had a more advanced gearbox, this I don't know, but surely that kind of driving was a lot stressfull than now, where drivers don't need to use clutch at all (if not to restart or to use R).
Old 11 Mar 2014, 20:02 (Ref:3377521)   #920
TheDude
Racer

Portugal
Ourem
TheDude should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon_titanium View Post
In the last generation of GT1 cars (DBR9, C6R, S7R, MC12 and on) drivers had to use clutch only during downshifts, I guess we all know that, but I remeber a video about the mclaren f1 gtr where the driver clearly was using the clutch to upshift (after the tetre rouge around 0:54).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBEngMWNZe4

Maybe more recent cars like CLK and 911 GT1 had a more advanced gearbox, this I don't know, but surely that kind of driving was a lot stressfull than now, where drivers don't need to use clutch at all (if not to restart or to use R).
that's a very ancient car.

I Belive the CLK and the 911 had the sequential gearbox (upshift without clutch) as did the long tail F1 GTR
Old 12 Mar 2014, 07:19 (Ref:3377661)   #921
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Goodness me, someone at Magnus Racing had fun here.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/CXJwgC3iuKk
Old 12 Mar 2014, 14:11 (Ref:3377819)   #922
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well. That was different.
Old 20 Mar 2014, 23:23 (Ref:3382496)   #923
Mac K
Rookie

Canada
Ontario,Canada
Mac K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone recall the awesome Porsche Motorsport ad shown during the first hour of the Sebring 12 Hour this year? I can't find it anywhere..
Old 22 Mar 2014, 22:24 (Ref:3383149)   #924
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Vallelunga 1973

The opening of the 1973 season at Vallelunga had been the first report of a sport-car race I read on a magazine. Souvenir.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cci4kKF2K5Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jg4xcmoOZqo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6S_JVfGX5Y
Old 27 Mar 2014, 14:24 (Ref:3385157)   #925
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
I was surfing Drive's youtube channel and came across this informative look at Audis Customer Sport programme which builds and supports the Audi R8 LMS and its customer. Quite interesting how many production components are used in the car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAxDH...miUnWrEktL2Oup