Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 22 May 2014, 08:26 (Ref:3408904)   #176
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Is there a change coming.. On the commercial side.. Or are the jungle drums in the powder room just thinking wishfully..
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 22 May 2014, 22:34 (Ref:3409155)   #177
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFA851 View Post
Yes she has been running ( paying ) the GT program for a few years, but that's a completely different kettle of fish. Far fewer rounds, far less competitive ( 1.5 seconds off the pace won't put you dead last on the grid ), the cars don't need constant development chasing hundredths of seconds to remain competitive etc etc. It all sounds nice and rosy to say she's done her time etc in a feeder class blah blah, but I still think she's bitten off far more than she bargained for, and is now suffering because of it. She could have done a lot worse though, and sent Ross Stone etc packing, but keeping them on board has certainly alleviated the pain somewhat. Hell imagine how bad it would have been otherwise……….
I agree with all that.

The thing is, if Volvo hadn't come on and done so well straight away, I think most of us would be saying that Erebus had done a reasonable job.

Within 1.5 years they've scored a podium and a race win and are now qualifying and finishing in the top 10 on a more regular basis at a variety of circuits. Arguably, they're at least matching, if not bettering the factory Nissan team.

But then Volvo came along and 'f**ked it for everybody'*.

*That quote is from Scott Redding, who was talking about the Marquez effect where all MotoGP debutantes will be judged against MM's achievements. Which I think is a pretty apt comparison.
Old 22 May 2014, 22:41 (Ref:3409159)   #178
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
stolen from Riley Curtis Design FB page:
Old 23 May 2014, 00:46 (Ref:3409192)   #179
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd be very surprised if the Dogecoin livery shifts away from Betty's 'Tron' design.
Old 23 May 2014, 00:54 (Ref:3409196)   #180
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
I'd be very surprised if the Dogecoin livery shifts away from Betty's 'Tron' design.
It is only a full sticker job... they could make the decision the day before the event and print a full car in the Dogecoin design, in their sticker shop in Erebus HQ...

They have to do it anyway... so changing the overall design wont cost them more than looking like a variation of Mr Walter's Roadways-branded Bathurst car from a few years go...

Money talks after all...
Old 23 May 2014, 07:08 (Ref:3409261)   #181
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
I am not sure if Riley has anything to do with it but my understanding is they are not in a position to offer the whole car anyway, the Dogecoin sponsorship is going to fit around the existing supporters.

I reckon its probably only going to be a bonnet.
Old 23 May 2014, 09:43 (Ref:3409310)   #182
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Apparently the are two positions on the car that have been discussed, at a cost of $20K and $50K per round, per car.
Old 26 May 2014, 22:32 (Ref:3411071)   #183
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Erebus Safe...?

..for 2015... With a new sponsor due soon!

Dogecoin?
Old 26 May 2014, 23:34 (Ref:3411085)   #184
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I would have thought with the performance out west they would have been able to get somebody on the car.
Old 26 May 2014, 23:36 (Ref:3411087)   #185
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
I would have thought with the performance out west they would have been able to get somebody on the car.
ICS?
Old 3 Aug 2014, 12:31 (Ref:3441180)   #186
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Erebus To Become MBAuP "Works" Team

Old 3 Aug 2014, 14:45 (Ref:3441202)   #187
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
>Mercedes thought being involved in V8 Supercars would damage the image of their high brow brand.<

I wouldn't have thought that was the best statement to make when begging for sponsorship
Old 3 Aug 2014, 14:48 (Ref:3441203)   #188
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
You must have read a different article to me. I thought it alluded to very possibly, hopefully etc. I couldn't see anywhere where it was a done deal.
Old 3 Aug 2014, 15:11 (Ref:3441204)   #189
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Look at the source.
Old 3 Aug 2014, 15:55 (Ref:3441206)   #190
Casper
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
Look at the source.
I read the words and nowhere in those words is there anything concrete, in fact it sounded like the sort of thing put out to push the sponsor.
Old 3 Aug 2014, 22:59 (Ref:3441285)   #191
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Another Phelps fishing expedition....
Old 3 Aug 2014, 23:19 (Ref:3441286)   #192
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
I read the words and nowhere in those words is there anything concrete, in fact it sounded like the sort of thing put out to push the sponsor.
100%. Its consistent with the source identified and with the PR nature of his tabloid articles.
Old 3 Aug 2014, 23:48 (Ref:3441290)   #193
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
In an interview with the Mr & Mrs Klimenko recently (in #10's "In The Pits"), they made reference to some models in the E class Benz range being out of stock for a significant period of time, and attributed that, at least in part, to the Erebus V8SC racing program.

Is it a correct conclusion to draw? Only MBAuP would know for sure, presuming they are surveying their customers and potential customers on their purchase decisions.

The more interesting piece is that there is a dealer (group of dealers?) in the MB network supplying body parts to Erebus for trade prices. You might imagine that the call for E-class Benz body panels isnt to high, so as to notice when a dealer puts an order in for a half dozen bonnets, a few doors and the like, would be more than likely to stick out...

Perhaps the Erebutians may end up like a 'Dealer Team', supported by the network, funded by a levy per vehicle sold. Like the Volvo-ites did in the 240T works team days...

Or indeed Mr Penske moves in... or both...
Old 3 Aug 2014, 23:49 (Ref:3441291)   #194
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
Another Phelps fishing expedition....
...with an audience of upwards of half a million people in Sydney alone buying the Telegraph, let alone in other states, who would eat this up as fact...
Old 4 Aug 2014, 00:01 (Ref:3441295)   #195
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
...with an audience of upwards of half a million people in Sydney alone buying the Telegraph, let alone in other states, who would eat this up as fact...
also in the herald sun

Nothing wrong with this article, Reckon your original post might have overstated the article though.

quotes a reasonable quality source.

Lets hope it happens, definitely my interest in owning a Benz has increased
Old 4 Aug 2014, 00:30 (Ref:3441303)   #196
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
Thats a worrying thought - not only confined to V8SC reporting.

Phelps basically acting as distribution network for V8SC agenda - this is a concern for anyone wanting a balanced and consistent representation of motorsport in the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar
Lets hope it happens, definitely my interest in owning a Benz has increased
And as previously stated a Volvo, Nissan, Ford and Holden. How big is the garage Pecky?
Old 4 Aug 2014, 02:30 (Ref:3441318)   #197
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would like to own one like out on the track though, with a cross plane crank.

Anyway, the article quotes a driver (what do they know) saying he would like it is he had a main sponsor. Slightly simplified, but not exactly ground breaking investigative journalism.

I think there's more to this story, particularly with the coke product placement beginning to seep in, but whether a factory deal with Mercedes is just around the corner, I'm not sure. In some ways with coke coming though, I would be less surprised if Penske announced he was teaming up with Erebus.
Old 4 Aug 2014, 07:56 (Ref:3441345)   #198
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Things go better with Coke....

Old 4 Aug 2014, 08:15 (Ref:3441349)   #199
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Ooh I like the look of that
Old 4 Aug 2014, 11:34 (Ref:3441374)   #200
Biggy G
Veteran

Biggy G should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Things go better with Coke....

Proudly bought to you by.....me

It is odd to see those logos and cap before any announcement is it not? Or have coke just sponsored Betty cos she gets a bonkers amount of air time?