Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Closed Thread

Old 20 Jun 2014, 14:08 (Ref:3424232)   #1
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
TUSC Round 7: 6 Hours of the Glen

The 6 hours of the Glen is back as a part of the North American Endurance Championship. Qualifying begins at 15:55 local track time on Saturday 28 June with the race kicking off at 11:15 Sunday 29 June. We have all four classes competing on track together for the first time since Sebring. Caution flags anyone? Oh well, it should be fun!

Schedule

Entry List

Track Map

Weather

Spotters Guide

FRC

Last edited by joeb; 24 Jun 2014 at 14:14.
Old 20 Jun 2014, 14:42 (Ref:3424251)   #2
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So .... P2 or DP ....?

Sorry Joeb, couldn't resist.

More seriously, it will be interesting to see how the new DP with all its modern aero handles the Glen, and how the P2s do (don't think they have ever run there.)

Sadly, no new cars in the field, but the DWing is entering in the tricycle class .... I keep hoping the DWing will have some sort of breakthrough race and show the performance of the open car ... but not exactly holding my breath.

What I really want to see is the two Mazdas having a day like or better than Laguna. The cars can run with the rest of the P-class ... and the Glen might be a good place to do that.

I enjoyed Detroit, but I am a lot more eager for a proper sports car endurance race.

I wonder if parts of it are televised---probably not as Sunday is NASCAR day ... like Friday, Saturday, Monday ....
Old 20 Jun 2014, 14:42 (Ref:3424253)   #3
BudLightJaguar
Veteran

Finland
BudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Though we have the PC gentlemen racing again, I still have positive thoughts about this event.

There's six hours to go, yellow flag now and then won't hurt
Old 20 Jun 2014, 14:49 (Ref:3424258)   #4
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A Viper or Falken win would be awesome. I can't wait to see those Vipers dueling with the Corvettes.
Old 20 Jun 2014, 14:55 (Ref:3424259)   #5
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I second Salamus.
Old 20 Jun 2014, 15:37 (Ref:3424273)   #6
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
WolfsburgRS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep, Falken or Viper is where I'm voting as well. The return to the Red/white is awesome, and the cars are going to have that much more visual impact because of it. I never really liked the silver based liveries.
Old 20 Jun 2014, 16:28 (Ref:3424286)   #7
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
BOP Changes to GTLM and GTD.
Old 20 Jun 2014, 16:39 (Ref:3424290)   #8
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamus View Post
You can find the IMSA info HERE. And holy smokes, there ave been 103 competition bulletins already this year in IMSA!

New AoP table:
http://www.imsa.com/sites/default/fi...0%2314-102.pdf

That GTLM table always makes me scratch my head because everybody gets breaks, just doesn't make sense. It seems like you could get to equality with many fewer moves....I can't even look at the GTD table....

edit: in case you want to see the FIA table with GTE bop look HERE

Last edited by joeb; 20 Jun 2014 at 17:00.
Old 20 Jun 2014, 16:39 (Ref:3424291)   #9
Gulf
Racer

Gulf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudLightJaguar View Post
Though we have the PC gentlemen racing again, I still have positive thoughts about this event.

There's six hours to go, yellow flag now and then won't hurt

Maybe if we are lucky will get 5 and a half hours of FCY so we can have another "close finish with tons of cars on the lead lap" like at Sebring.
Old 20 Jun 2014, 16:45 (Ref:3424295)   #10
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
So .... P2 or DP ....?

Well played! Hey talk about how they will perform at Watkins all you like, just don't talk about which one looks nicer or is overall "better"!
Old 20 Jun 2014, 16:52 (Ref:3424300)   #11
Maelochs
Veteran

"That GTLM table always makes me scratch my head because everybody gets breaks, just doesn't make sense. It seems like you could get to equality with many fewer moves"

It's like the line from that Deep Purple album ... "Can we have everything louder than everything else?"
Old 20 Jun 2014, 17:56 (Ref:3424313)   #12
Danathar
Racer

Danathar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
So .... P2 or DP ....?

More seriously, it will be interesting to see how the new DP with all its modern aero handles the Glen, and how the P2s do (don't think they have ever run there.)

Sadly, no new cars in the field, but the DWing is entering in the tricycle class .... I keep hoping the DWing will have some sort of breakthrough race and show the performance of the open car ... but not exactly holding my breath.

What I really want to see is the two Mazdas having a day like or better than Laguna. The cars can run with the rest of the P-class ... and the Glen might be a good place to do that.

I enjoyed Detroit, but I am a lot more eager for a proper sports car endurance race.

I wonder if parts of it are televised---probably not as Sunday is NASCAR day ... like Friday, Saturday, Monday ....
who knows. Honestly I'm so jaded about the whole DP vs P2 thing I almost couldn't care.
Old 20 Jun 2014, 18:13 (Ref:3424315)   #13
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
You can find the IMSA info HERE. And holy smokes, there ave been 103 competition bulletins already this year in IMSA!

New AoP table:
http://www.imsa.com/sites/default/fi...0%2314-102.pdf

That GTLM table always makes me scratch my head because everybody gets breaks, just doesn't make sense. It seems like you could get to equality with many fewer moves....I can't even look at the GTD table....

edit: in case you want to see the FIA table with GTE bop look HERE
That's interesting Joe, thanks, I had not bothered to look. It's also frustrating... I just hate BOP, especially when your favorites are at a disadvantage in every category.

You know what I do like though? P2 cars. They sure are good looking.
Old 20 Jun 2014, 18:22 (Ref:3424318)   #14
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamus View Post
Were the Vipers any good at Daytona and Sebring? I don't even recall them running? Was it that bad?
Old 20 Jun 2014, 18:40 (Ref:3424321)   #15
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll try to be optimistic too. Watkins Glen should not be the disaster that Sebring was for these reasons:

1. IMSA officials are showing signs they learn from mistakes. In particular I hope they will be less 'yellow happy'

2. The nature of the Watkins Glen track could allow for more space for disabled cars to get out of the way

3. Hopefully there will be fewer unqualified LMPC drivers in this field.

With that said. I hope that Fox will devote much of their TV time to the GTLM battle. It will be epic. I think the Vipers will come in renewed and be a force again. I expect a 10 car slug fest in that category (minus Krohn Ferrari)
Old 20 Jun 2014, 18:51 (Ref:3424323)   #16
BudLightJaguar
Veteran

Finland
BudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjessica09 View Post
I'll try to be optimistic too. Watkins Glen should not be the disaster that Sebring was for these reasons:

1. IMSA officials are showing signs they learn from mistakes. In particular I hope they will be less 'yellow happy'

2. The nature of the Watkins Glen track could allow for more space for disabled cars to get out of the way

3. Hopefully there will be fewer unqualified LMPC drivers in this field.
'nuff said. This is exactly what I hope for this race.
Old 20 Jun 2014, 18:56 (Ref:3424324)   #17
Gulf
Racer

Gulf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
Were the Vipers any good at Daytona and Sebring? I don't even recall them running? Was it that bad?
Viper would have won Sebring if NASCAR knew the differneces in their own classes.
Old 20 Jun 2014, 19:37 (Ref:3424338)   #18
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Yup. Handed that race to Porsche. Looking forward to those Red Snakes again. Always my pick in GTE... LM.
Old 20 Jun 2014, 19:49 (Ref:3424344)   #19
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
GTE promises to be a barn burner. I demand exclusive air-time
Old 21 Jun 2014, 11:05 (Ref:3424538)   #20
vodka
Rookie

Lithuania
Vilnius
vodka should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So this should be DP all the way, as this is a fast and flowing track. Still hope for Sharp/Dalziel and PNA Porsche victory.
Old 21 Jun 2014, 11:12 (Ref:3424540)   #21
Maelochs
Veteran

The biggest concern I have is whether the officials will be calling "avoidable contact" penalties at the Glen.

Detroit was fun, but pretty much a NASCAR race, with all the leaders passing by hipcheck---not the way racing should be, IMO.

Six hours of "Eat my fender" and all the P2s will be in the garages.
Old 21 Jun 2014, 13:44 (Ref:3424584)   #22
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Entire race on FS1, so that's good for people without FS2, or who don't like to continually change channels in the middle of the same program.

I think the track should somewhat favor the P2's, depending on whether the DP's can get through the esses at full throttle. But the problem with the P2's right now is numbers. There's not enough of them and their performance is entirely dependent on how just 2 teams run.
Old 21 Jun 2014, 14:26 (Ref:3424612)   #23
BudLightJaguar
Veteran

Finland
Quote:
The biggest concern I have is whether the officials will be calling "avoidable contact" penalties at the Glen.

Detroit was fun, but pretty much a NASCAR race, with all the leaders passing by hipcheck---not the way racing should be, IMO.

Six hours of "Eat my fender" and all the P2s will be in the garages.
Yup. Contact belongs to RallyX or Sprint cars. Not to sports car races.
Old 21 Jun 2014, 15:37 (Ref:3424648)   #24
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudLightJaguar View Post
Yup. Contact belongs to RallyX or Sprint cars. Not to sports car races.
I think it's just the nature of the track. It was the same thing for the PWC races, and even the Indycar races had their share of "pushing" through the corners.

I wouldn't expect this sort of thing at the Glen, although the chicane is always a trouble spot for anything that races there.
Old 21 Jun 2014, 21:53 (Ref:3424724)   #25
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
With the high speed part in the first sector, I hope it evens out. The high speed turns with the chicane might even it out with downforce vs. top speed.
Closed Thread