Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 30 Jan 2015, 16:42 (Ref:3499180)   #776
Mr Pink
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Mr Pink should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRG View Post
Lux posted on the kolles thread last summer

"So so sad that some of you will moan about a lack of LMP1 cars to compete with Rebellion and then when one comes along your all desperate for it to fail so that you can say "told you so". "

quite alot of people including mr pink used used this for further negitive remarks against Kollers.
Anyway I firmly believe rebellion we change both the engine and gearbox and prove they are worthy, Mabye they will be able to keep up with Kolles this year
My comment was "I don't think anyone want's them to fail, I know I'd love to see more privateers, but I think the scepticism is justified.". I don't find that overly negative and I was definitely happy that they managed to turn up to a few races.
Old 30 Jan 2015, 20:55 (Ref:3499256)   #777
BRG
Rookie

England
Gloucestershire
BRG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having reflected on what I said earlier.
Bart Haydon Rebellion's team leader, said that he believed the current regs would allow privateers to run within 2 seconds of the works teams at Le Mans.

It was immediately obvious at the beginning of the season that that would be difficult. The factory teams made massive leaps in performance and were reliable with it.

I know there were various discussions on these pages about how much power they had over lmp2, 50bhp or so and less torque.
By mid season people were saying the Toyota engine was not powerful enough. and also did not have enough capacity to make the most of the fuel flow breaks the ACO had given them.

So I would have thought Rebellion would have been looking for a new engine from mid to late season last year.

If Rebellion still believe in the 2 second gap, they will need to convince the ACO to let them have more fuel and a much higher flow rate then they most have an engine capable of running about 100 – 150bhp more than the hybrids i.e. 650 -700bhp and the only way to do this is with a NA engine of 5 or more litres or a turbo engine.

This is what I mean about being serious.
If they turn up with the 4.4l Judd v8 or the Audi dtm engine then their goal would be just to run.

I believe the news that says they may miss Silverstone is interesting.
If they go for a v8 i.e. Judd or Audi and still miss Silverstone then that would be poor as replacing a v8 with another v8 and same gearbox should not be that taxing.

I prefer to think they are integrating the v10 Judd or AER turbo with a new gearbox like Kolles are doing.
Lastly does anybody know more about the Cosworth engine I'm assuming they are talking about the 1.6 v6 f1 engine.

Edited by Ayse for oversized text.

Last edited by Aysedasi; 31 Jan 2015 at 15:40.
Old 31 Jan 2015, 00:31 (Ref:3499325)   #778
Félix
Veteran

MagnetON
Québec
Félix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFélix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Cosworth F1 design has been picked up by a new P1 entry for this year. I don't know what would be available (maybe the XG design from almost a decade ago) but surely they couldn't get the same engine as a factory entrant...

Knighty, how light can a Vette engine be? The Panoz-Ford was 170kg, I think the Caldwell Hemi and the Lister LMP engine must have been at least as heavy. I'd be surprised if a stock block could be trimmed to 150kg; the Judds have been 115 to 135 kg and with some budget they could trim more and get close to 100kg like the Zyteks or their 1997 F1 engine.
Old 31 Jan 2015, 00:36 (Ref:3499326)   #779
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
Does that Katech motor run a cross plane crank? I would love to hear a bellowing V8 in the back of a P1.
Yes, they are crossplane.
Old 31 Jan 2015, 04:27 (Ref:3499359)   #780
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Engine weight should be a small issue since they run without hybrid pieces. Hopefully they get a solid engine with power behind it.
Old 31 Jan 2015, 14:55 (Ref:3499470)   #781
Félix
Veteran

MagnetON
Québec
Félix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFélix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They've been given breaks to run 800kg. Look at Kolles: they're 75kg overweight and I bet the AER is around 130kg. The Toyota was probably 110kg.
Old 31 Jan 2015, 15:27 (Ref:3499479)   #782
BRG
Rookie

England
Gloucestershire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Félix View Post
They've been given breaks to run 800kg. Look at Kolles: they're 75kg overweight and I bet the AER is around 130kg. The Toyota was probably 110kg.

Both teams will strugle to make this weight as thier cars were designed for 900kg which is why i think they should concentrate on getting extra power and fuel breaks from the ACO.
Old 31 Jan 2015, 16:31 (Ref:3499490)   #783
Félix
Veteran

MagnetON
Québec
Per Racecar Engineering July 2014, the car was designed around a 850kg minimum weight. They were lobbying for a break to "at least 800kg" and got it.

The Xtrac 1159 gearbox they're using is rated for 850nm. This is probably exactly what Kolles is fitting to their car.
Old 31 Jan 2015, 17:12 (Ref:3499497)   #784
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Félix View Post
The Toyota weighs 120kg.

http://www.rebellion-racing.com/toyotarv8klm.html
Old 31 Jan 2015, 17:38 (Ref:3499501)   #785
carbon_titanium
Veteran

carbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcarbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
AER engine is in the range of 3.5-4.0L + twin turbo, the weight should be not less than 150kg
Old 31 Jan 2015, 18:52 (Ref:3499508)   #786
ger80
Veteran

Germany
Birmingham
ger80 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would love to know how the Audi R8 LMP FSI engine would do in the current regs
Old 31 Jan 2015, 20:42 (Ref:3499527)   #787
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Bart Hayden says its decision on engines isnt related to Toyota's performance, but their discontinuation of supplying them. It seems like Toyota may offer another engine in the future, maybe based on the current GT500 2L turbo.
Old 31 Jan 2015, 20:49 (Ref:3499531)   #788
Félix
Veteran

MagnetON
Québec
AER make light engines. http://www.mulsannescorner.com/aerturbolmp1v8.html Might have something to do with how difficult it has been to make their engines reliable. Still, they are installing them in Champ Cars now and that must be very exciting with a claimed 1,000 hp.

The 2014 RE article on Rebellion claimed +/- 115 kg and the TS030 unit is apparently close to 100 kg now. It probably varies depending on whether builders include the exhaust, inlet tract or fluids. BMW claimed they could have gone down to 68 kg with their F1 V8 if they hadn't had to comply with the rulebook's limitations.
Old 1 Feb 2015, 14:53 (Ref:3499733)   #789
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon_titanium View Post
AER engine is in the range of 3.5-4.0L + twin turbo, the weight should be not less than 150kg
AER reckon it weighs 115kg.

http://www.aerltd.com/existing-products/
Old 1 Feb 2015, 15:25 (Ref:3499739)   #790
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRG View Post
Both teams will strugle to make this weight as thier cars were designed for 900kg which is why i think they should concentrate on getting extra power and fuel breaks from the ACO.
Rebellion seems to have no major problem with it. It's Kolles's issue if they can't make the diet work.

I don't think ACO can continue handing them restrictor + whatever engine breaks forever thou, there comes the limit. Same with tank sizes, you'd need to start (equally) decreasing the factory tank capacities itself.
Old 1 Feb 2015, 18:51 (Ref:3499778)   #791
BRG
Rookie

England
Gloucestershire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Rebellion seems to have no major problem with it. It's Kolles's issue if they can't make the diet work.

I don't think ACO can continue handing them restrictor + whatever engine breaks forever thou, there comes the limit. Same with tank sizes, you'd need to start (equally) decreasing the factory tank capacities itself.
Do you think the ACO are willing to give more bop breaks to get them closer to the works teams or was Bart Hayden’s wishes to run a few seconds behind the factory teams always a faulty assumption
Old 1 Feb 2015, 19:38 (Ref:3499798)   #792
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes... and yes
Old 2 Feb 2015, 23:17 (Ref:3500298)   #793
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!
French magazine AutoHebdo reports that Rebellion Racing have ultimately opted to run with the AER engine and - unfortunately - would have to miss the first FIA-WEC round at Silverstone due to the necessary changes to the engine installation.
Old 2 Feb 2015, 23:23 (Ref:3500299)   #794
Deleted
Veteran

Aww Judd V10 would've been so awesome - or HPD

With AER it means spec-rivalry between them and Kolles Gang. Guess they wanted 'safer' option

So many potential powerplants and no takers
Old 2 Feb 2015, 23:33 (Ref:3500301)   #795
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Aww Judd V10 would've been so awesome - or HPD

With AER it means spec-rivalry between them and Kolles Gang. Guess they wanted 'safer' option

So many potential powerplants and no takers
Or it means we can see who actually has a better car. I know it will be low on the list of interesting things in P1 this year, but when was the last time two privateers were battling in P1?
Old 2 Feb 2015, 23:49 (Ref:3500306)   #796
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Well, them missing Silverstone as well as the WEC Prologue test weekend does show the disadvantage of Oreca designing the car. Meaning, the R-One isn't very suited to using a turbo engine without major modifications.

Even the Oreca LMP2 cars aren't very suited to turbocharged engines seeing as all of them have run NA V8s. Those are issues rooted in the Courage LC70s that they were derived from, and the R-One has design details derived from the older open cockpit Oreca and Courage LMP cars. And a lot of us remember how much Courage struggled with the AER turbo V8s in '07 and how Oreca ditched them in favor of Judd V10s for '08.

The Judd GV5 V10 or the Judd and Zytek 4.4-4.5 liter V8s would've been a safe choice and avoided the need for a major redesign (they could've used the same basic cooling layout as the 3.4 Toyota V8, which I believe is the major hang up with the AER turbo V6), but I think that Rebellion got burned on the small Toyota V8 and they feel that even with a 4.4 or 4.5 liter V8 that there'd still be a pretty big performance drop off with the fuel flow formula vs the older air restrictor formula.
Old 2 Feb 2015, 23:58 (Ref:3500308)   #797
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Or it means we can see who actually has a better car. I know it will be low on the list of interesting things in P1 this year, but when was the last time two privateers were battling in P1?
Rebellion vs Pickett

I think even with same engine the only way Kolles can have real fight against (#12) Rebellion is if the chassis is indeed fully free of the extra ballast like they claim, and if they don't recycle rent drivers in the car the usual CK style.
Old 3 Feb 2015, 03:41 (Ref:3500339)   #798
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Rebellion vs Pickett

I think even with same engine the only way Kolles can have real fight against (#12) Rebellion is if the chassis is indeed fully free of the extra ballast like they claim, and if they don't recycle rent drivers in the car the usual CK style.
Or Pickett vs dyson for that matter!
Old 3 Feb 2015, 16:40 (Ref:3500482)   #799
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Or Pickett vs dyson for that matter!
Yeah but you asked the last time there was competitive privateer battle, PLM 2013 with Rebellion against Pickett came after the last time Dyson had actual chance for victory with pro drivers. Ie VIR 2013
Old 3 Feb 2015, 20:09 (Ref:3500553)   #800
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Rebellion-AER......great news, i really think they made the correct choice, sadly a bit too late, but I expect this will now be highly competitive, really they made a horrid choice designing the R1 around the old Toyota IRL engine, there is a part of me that suspects oreca intentionally bum-steered rebellion to keep them away from Toyota on the track, but they will never admit this......I can imagine Oreca contributed to such an awful choice, but who am I to say......anyway, best of luck Rebellion-AER B-)