Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 Oct 2016, 18:03 (Ref:3683422)   #201
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
As I wrote earlier, it is not that simple. Both Dennis and Ojjeh have 25% shareholdings, and I believe at least 50% voting rights, and given the extremely close relationship between the two over so many decades, I think it highly unlikely that any other shareholder would be able to enforce a departure of Dennis if he doesn't wish to go.
That's the theory Mike but I heard something yesterday (from a mate who seems very well connected somehow) that apparently Ron did something last year that upset Mr Ojeh causing a fall out...
Old 27 Oct 2016, 22:33 (Ref:3683466)   #202
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
That's the theory Mike but I heard something yesterday (from a mate who seems very well connected somehow) that apparently Ron did something last year that upset Mr Ojeh causing a fall out...
Money?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/formula-1...-amid-boardro/

"After nearly three years desperately trying to find the backing to buy out Ojjeh – who owns 25 per cent – and Bahrain’s sovereign wealth fund – which owns 50 per cent"
Old 28 Oct 2016, 12:14 (Ref:3683597)   #203
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I read that Ojjeh was upset that Ron had been trying to get backing to buy him out while he (Ojjeh) was recovering from a double lung transplant.
Old 28 Oct 2016, 12:44 (Ref:3683605)   #204
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There have been stories for years that Dennis was trying to fund a buyout of McLaren, just as there have been rumours that he was going to be pushed out. Neither has happened, yet!

With a group of companies such as McLaren, I feel fairly certain that there would be/have been little problem in raising money to fund a buyout, so I tend not to have much faith in the rumours.
Old 28 Oct 2016, 16:18 (Ref:3683647)   #205
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
was going to write a long post but didnt.

basic summary is that i hope RD stays (or wants to stay), or if not, he is replaced with someone who has something close to his level of passion for the team and sport.

not some new sovereign wealth fund or hedge fund appointee who wants to try their hand at being a team principle for a bit.

some articles are throwing Zak Brown's name around...cant say i know enough about him other than he has successfully linked a racing career with an ability to find sponsorship. a bit uninspired perhaps but 'ability to find money' is probably the mold they are looking for.

also its halloween soon...perhaps they can resurrect the corpse of Whitmarsh!
Old 28 Oct 2016, 16:29 (Ref:3683651)   #206
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
was going to write a long post but didnt.

basic summary is that i hope RD stays (or wants to stay), or if not, he is replaced with someone who has something close to his level of passion for the team and sport.

not some new sovereign wealth fund or hedge fund appointee who wants to try their hand at being a team principle for a bit.

some articles are throwing Zak Brown's name around...cant say i know enough about him other than he has successfully linked a racing career with an ability to find sponsorship. a bit uninspired perhaps but 'ability to find money' is probably the mold they are looking for.

also its halloween soon...perhaps they can resurrect the corpse of Whitmarsh!
There isn't much sponsorship money around for F1 these days though and any big money that is around is being hoovered up by BE who as the one who says where the branding goes and points the camera at it, can guarantee a level of coverage that a team simply can't.

Some say that allegedly Ron is rooted to a sponsorship model that is 20 years out of date as he is still on a fag money rate card, maybe that is some of the tension?
Old 28 Oct 2016, 17:27 (Ref:3683659)   #207
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
Some say that allegedly Ron is rooted to a sponsorship model that is 20 years out of date...
All we know is, He's called The Stig!

but yeah, his 'wait to become competitive again before signing a long term title sponsor so you can sell the space at a premium' is probably a multi million dollar a year source of contention.
Old 28 Oct 2016, 18:10 (Ref:3683673)   #208
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, McLaren and Honda both have the pedigree for winning in F1. One thing that does concern me though, is that I don't think Honda is quite the company that it once was in F1(winning with BAR and Jordan - let alone with their amazing run with McLaren, Williams and Lotus in the 1980s).

Signs are more promising now. But, they is still a long way to go for them.
Old 29 Oct 2016, 16:00 (Ref:3683865)   #209
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don't see Honda buying up McLaren, or see why they would want to. They've had a big enough headache as it is sorting out the PU, so I don't think they would want the added complexity of owning a team and all that that would entail.

It's not been plain sailing for them across the pond. Since the introduction of the DW 12 and the return of Chevrolet, Honda have won the 500 three times but the Driver's Championship once and have yet to win the Manufacturer's Championship. It's engines and PUs they need to concentrate on, if they want to get back to where they used to be.
Old 29 Oct 2016, 18:19 (Ref:3683876)   #210
Tja
Racer

Tja should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Saward is reporting that the Mclaren BP deal is definitely going to happen.

https://joesaward.wordpress.com/2016...claren-and-bp/

he highlights connections between BP via Castrol and Honda as the logic behind the deal (and no doubt lots of money). how quickly can BP get up to speed and/or is this a step back for Mclaren?

not sure where that leaves ExxonMobil but in a previous post he suggested that they may move over to Red Bull.
German TV has just talked about this, confirming Castrol/BP to McLaren and ExxonMobil moving over to RedBull. I doubt we'll get an official confirmation from McLaren before the end of the season though. Is RedBull connected to another oil company at the moment? They lost Total when they dropped the Renault name IIRC?
Old 30 Oct 2016, 01:21 (Ref:3683926)   #211
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tja View Post
German TV has just talked about this, confirming Castrol/BP to McLaren and ExxonMobil moving over to RedBull. I doubt we'll get an official confirmation from McLaren before the end of the season though. Is RedBull connected to another oil company at the moment? They lost Total when they dropped the Renault name IIRC?

Max Mexico 2016.

Last edited by wnut; 30 Oct 2016 at 01:27.
Old 30 Oct 2016, 06:30 (Ref:3683962)   #212
Tja
Racer

Tja should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post

Max Mexico 2016.
Ok thanks, It's on there quite a lot
Old 21 Nov 2016, 18:31 (Ref:3689999)   #213
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
McLaren have appointed Zak Brown as its new executive director but still have to appoint a new chairman.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mc...rector-852419/

So can we expect to see plenty of positive spin on McLaren in Autosport, F1 Racing and Motorsport.com then?
Old 21 Nov 2016, 19:13 (Ref:3690007)   #214
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
McLaren have appointed Zak Brown as its new executive director but still have to appoint a new chairman.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mc...rector-852419/

So can we expect to see plenty of positive spin on McLaren in Autosport, F1 Racing and Motorsport.com then?
Here's Autosport's take on it.

http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/127214
Old 9 Jan 2017, 09:53 (Ref:3701208)   #215
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Honda appear to be adopting a Mercedes type turbine/compressor arrangement for their new power unit.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ho...ressor-864024/

I wonder will that mean a major step forward in their performance time will tell.
Old 9 Jan 2017, 18:13 (Ref:3701334)   #216
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
so a further move away from RD and the size zero philosophy which the team and Honda have had many many problems with.

given that the design work must have been done many moths ago, i wonder if this new direction factors into any of the board room issues surrounding the team over the past year?

if it works does that put them them back in the mix or just equal to where Merc were in 2014 when the new engine formula started?
Old 9 Jan 2017, 19:51 (Ref:3701367)   #217
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
so a further move away from RD and the size zero philosophy which the team and Honda have had many many problems with.

given that the design work must have been done many moths ago, i wonder if this new direction factors into any of the board room issues surrounding the team over the past year?

if it works does that put them them back in the mix or just equal to where Merc were in 2014 when the new engine formula started?
All good points.

I am of the opinion that the size zero concept was the root of the problems. I made the point months ago in a post that this is the benefit of an all in one team like Mercedes. That there is less of the customer/provider relationship. That pushback on bad ideas work better within a team atmosphere. I could be off the mark, but I can envision McLaren pushing Honda in the direction of the size zero design and that negatives of that solution could have been suppressed to maintain the happiness of the relationship.

Clearly the honeymoon phase is over and they know it didn't work. Time to face reality, come up with a new plan and then move forward. It hard to say how much the shakeup within McLaren is part of this. I suspect the shakeup within McLaren is just part of the aftermath of how things have been going.

Regardless, it sounds like they are more on-track now than before. Hopefully they will not be too far behind now.

Richard
Old 10 Jan 2017, 02:20 (Ref:3701478)   #218
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
All good points.

I am of the opinion that the size zero concept was the root of the problems. I made the point months ago in a post that this is the benefit of an all in one team like Mercedes. That there is less of the customer/provider relationship. That pushback on bad ideas work better within a team atmosphere. I could be off the mark, but I can envision McLaren pushing Honda in the direction of the size zero design and that negatives of that solution could have been suppressed to maintain the happiness of the relationship.

Clearly the honeymoon phase is over and they know it didn't work. Time to face reality, come up with a new plan and then move forward. It hard to say how much the shakeup within McLaren is part of this. I suspect the shakeup within McLaren is just part of the aftermath of how things have been going.

Regardless, it sounds like they are more on-track now than before. Hopefully they will not be too far behind now.

Richard
Do you think Mr Newey & his RBR design team are working at Size Zero?
Suspect that they are...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 10 Jan 2017, 09:37 (Ref:3701545)   #219
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Do you think Mr Newey & his RBR design team are working at Size Zero?
Suspect that they are...
Off hand I can't remember how Renault has their turbo setup, but I believe it was nothing as radical as Honda tried. So no.. they are probably not working with a "size zero" power unit. Remember, by definition Mercedes isn't either.

I also think RBR and Renault is a relationship at the other end of the spectrum. In that RBR likely pushed Renault as hard as anyone, but Renault was unable to respond (combo of maybe stubborn plus a token system that prevented quick change) .

If would be very interesting to see how things would work out if RBR where to try to develop their own engine. Would they push the engine design team around (and potentially into bad corners such as a size zero design), or would they be an equal partner with the aero team and be able to stand their ground when needed? We will likely never know.

Richard
Old 10 Jan 2017, 09:50 (Ref:3701550)   #220
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Peeps seem to have such short memories, or maybe elect to ignore past facts.

At the beginning of this new era, it was the Red Bulls that had the most problems with the Renault power-units, and it was pretty well acknowledged by all and sundry that a large proportion of their problems were attributed to the cramped space that Adrian Newey and his gang had left the Regie into which to stuff their unit.
Old 10 Jan 2017, 10:52 (Ref:3701563)   #221
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
All good points.

Richard
Totally agree......dont forget McLaren ran the Mercedes engine in 2014, and they should be shot for not realizing the mercedes turbo packaging was a big powertrain benefit, but no, McLaren who know nothing about engines (this is why they need Ricardo on the road car side) pushed honda into the dopey axial flow exhaust turbine which had the efficiency of a an ant running a marathon, its easy to blame Honda, but it was actually Mclaren that pushed them to do it through the dopey size-zero packaging route for the best possible aerodynamics, for sure aero is important, but they just took it way too far and paid the price with 2 awful seasons in F1.......McLaren need to sort their own act out before they release press statements saying "we would have been the best with the best engine"......Mclaren made the bed, then need to sleep in it.

It would not surprise me to see the 2017 Mclaren-Honda package be an absolute flier......Honda will probably also have implemented Turbulent Jet Injection and also realize another significant performance gain, just like Renault and Ferrari did, after they realized Mercedes had it since 2014!
Old 10 Jan 2017, 16:29 (Ref:3701619)   #222
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
At the beginning of this new era, it was the Red Bulls that had the most problems with the Renault power-units, and it was pretty well acknowledged by all and sundry that a large proportion of their problems were attributed to the cramped space that Adrian Newey and his gang had left the Regie into which to stuff their unit.
though it must be said, with a handful of wins and a much better overall record compared to Mclaren, RB and Renault have done a much better job at making it work (and in a much faster time frame as well) without having to drop the tight rear/size zero packaging concept.

on the surface (and in hindsight) it does look like RB's very public tantrums and chastising of Renault has done more to push the team/partnership forward then the reserved/behind closed doors approach that Mclaren had taken (thinking back to one of the talking points in the 'whats wrong with RB' thread from a year ago)
Old 11 Jan 2017, 00:37 (Ref:3701702)   #223
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Peeps seem to have such short memories, or maybe elect to ignore past facts.

If you are speaking of me, it is likely short memory. I do remember now problems with cooling due to pushing the limits with the Renault power unit. The question (for me) is did RBR drive the initial design of the Renault power unit (to make it smaller)? It could very well be the fact and I just can't remember the details.

Richard
Old 11 Jan 2017, 02:29 (Ref:3701713)   #224
godlameroso
Racer

godlameroso should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgodlameroso should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
All good points.

Richard
Their main bottleneck was clearly the compressor. In 2015 they had problems with compressor stall, in 2016 they improved a lot, particularly in energy harvesting at the expense of some engine power. By Silverstone they had regained that power, and the Spa upgrade improved fuel efficiency.

They did not implement a TJI system like Ferrari. From what I've heard, the layout they pick will be "surprising", and to think of it as not so much revolutionary but "highly refined"

If I had to guess what that means is they either keep their current layout, or change the compressor and move it forward.

Implementing TJI would not have been feasible in 2016 because there were not enough tokens to implement all the supporting mods that are needed to make the concept work.

For 2017 they'll be making a very nice step forward, mostly in terms of a broader power band, and fuel efficiency. Will it be enough, that depends on Mclaren's chassis, the aero is good, but mechanical suspension is far behind Red Bull and Mercedes. Then again, since Monaco, it's believed McLaren abandoned developing the chassis for this year, and any upgrades were really just tests to determine the direction for next year.

The slotted end plates and front wing without the "outwash tunnel" were tests to determine drag with these concepts.

I'll be disappointed if they're not at least 4th fastest. And be pleasantly surprised if they can get on the podium. Getting on the podium and then challenging in 2018 for something serious.
Old 11 Jan 2017, 02:33 (Ref:3701714)   #225
godlameroso
Racer

godlameroso should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgodlameroso should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty View Post
Totally agree......dont forget McLaren ran the Mercedes engine in 2014, and they should be shot for not realizing the mercedes turbo packaging was a big powertrain benefit, but no, McLaren who know nothing about engines (this is why they need Ricardo on the road car side) pushed honda into the dopey axial flow exhaust turbine which had the efficiency of a an ant running a marathon, its easy to blame Honda, but it was actually Mclaren that pushed them to do it through the dopey size-zero packaging route for the best possible aerodynamics, for sure aero is important, but they just took it way too far and paid the price with 2 awful seasons in F1.......McLaren need to sort their own act out before they release press statements saying "we would have been the best with the best engine"......Mclaren made the bed, then need to sleep in it.

It would not surprise me to see the 2017 Mclaren-Honda package be an absolute flier......Honda will probably also have implemented Turbulent Jet Injection and also realize another significant performance gain, just like Renault and Ferrari did, after they realized Mercedes had it since 2014!
The mixed axial centrifugal compressor is very compact and efficient, and if they had a little more space to make it the size they want(could just be better intake packaging) it could deliver enough boost pressure. Their harvesting is already at a good level, the next step is implementing their version of TJI/CVCC or whatever they're doing, but Honda likes doing things their own way, so they could be doing something completely different.