Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 Mar 2017, 20:22 (Ref:3721681)   #51
calderra
Rookie

calderra should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bottas 2017 is looking a lot like Rosberg 2016 to me.

Give the car wider margins than Lewis does, and with any luck Lewis will break something and put himself out of the way while Bottas cruises to some big, easy wins. Regardless, right now he's looking like an easy P3 in the championship because Kimi and Max are days behind.
Old 26 Mar 2017, 20:57 (Ref:3721691)   #52
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I thought Bottas was solid and undramatic in the car this weekend. So solid, and so lacking in drama in fact, that there was little to suggest that the difference in pace to Lewis was down to anything other than pure speed.

Lewis must be very hungry for the title after last year, and I think he naturally digs deep for a battle against an extra-team opponent. I highly doubt Bottas will be embarrassed by Hamilton, but I suspect he will be squarely beaten over the course of the season.
Old 27 Mar 2017, 15:11 (Ref:3721886)   #53
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
I thought bottas could have passed him late. He was closing fast for quite a while only to stall out at about 2 seconds behind Hamilton. Looked like he was playing the team role for now. Very encouraging start I think. Wish he would have made a run on Hamilton at the end, but he probably wasn't allowed just yet.
Old 27 Mar 2017, 15:14 (Ref:3721887)   #54
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Or could it be he was hitting the minimum distance you can easily run behind another car? I think it's a bit early for team orders.
Old 27 Mar 2017, 15:22 (Ref:3721888)   #55
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
I think it makes sense for team orders the first few races to not cause strife with Hamilton right off the bat. Give a few races to gauge whether bottas has enough to compete. You think Hamilton would have been as positive post race if his teammate had passed him?
Old 27 Mar 2017, 15:27 (Ref:3721890)   #56
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
Or could it be he was hitting the minimum distance you can easily run behind another car? I think it's a bit early for team orders.
would agree with that...if LH's merc was having tire issue from following a car im inclined to think that VB would have experienced the same issues if and when he pulled up to his team mate.

the team orders part is a bit tricky though...yes they didnt employ team orders telling VB to specifically to back off but using the same tire strategy for both drivers always strikes me, to some extent, as a behind the scenes team order (not that i have a problem with team orders).

by virtue of going longer on his first stint on ultras i would have thought there could have been/should have been an opportunity to let VB try out the super softs for his second stint.
Old 27 Mar 2017, 15:31 (Ref:3721893)   #57
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWill2073 View Post
I think it makes sense for team orders the first few races to not cause strife with Hamilton right off the bat. Give a few races to gauge whether bottas has enough to compete. You think Hamilton would have been as positive post race if his teammate had passed him?
How can they gauge if Bottas can compete, if they also impose team orders to keep him behind?
Old 27 Mar 2017, 17:11 (Ref:3721908)   #58
RWill2073
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
How can they gauge if Bottas can compete, if they also impose team orders to keep him behind?
If they imposed team orders, they still have the data showing he was catching Lewis.
Old 27 Mar 2017, 17:19 (Ref:3721910)   #59
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
I'm afraid I don't buy it.
Old 27 Mar 2017, 18:04 (Ref:3721925)   #60
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Valterri didn't finish too far behind Lewis, so that's not a bad start
Old 28 Mar 2017, 01:10 (Ref:3722008)   #61
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Team orders for sure. Merc wanted to maintain second and third positions incident free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 28 Mar 2017, 12:52 (Ref:3722151)   #62
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Still don't buy it.
Old 28 Mar 2017, 15:01 (Ref:3722183)   #63
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Pete View Post
Team orders for sure. Merc wanted to maintain second and third positions incident free.

I suspect Bottas was maybe as quick or slightly quicker at the end than Hamilton, but even if he was given the go ahead to pass Hamilton, I didn't see him being able to catch and pass Vettel. And who had the pace at that point between the two is speculation. At the moment, I believe these cars may prove to be hard to pass when the speed differential between them is small.

But... I can imagine that both drivers were instructed to hold position. I think who was the leading Mercedes driver likely had little impact. So if the roles were reversed, I expect the result would have been the same. Finish in that position to guarantee points and podium for both drivers.

To early in the year for heavy handed team orders.

Richard
Old 28 Mar 2017, 15:12 (Ref:3722186)   #64
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is being instructed to hold position not team orders?

Old 28 Mar 2017, 16:06 (Ref:3722201)   #65
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Is being instructed to hold position not team orders?

I assume you are asking me. BSchneiderFan may have a different opinion.

Given team orders can range from the extreme of "pit this lap" to "allow your teammate to pass", I would say holding position is a "team order". I don't disagree with your comment at the top of this page other than the sureness that there was an order of any type.

The context of the general discussion however has been if Bottas was told to not pass or pressure Hamilton due to a preference for Hamilton to finish in front of Bottas. My opinion is that real or implied driver ranking within the team was likely not a significant factor in any orders at the end of this race... if any orders even existed. I would assume that constructor points was the prime motivation with respect to late race strategy.

Richard
Old 28 Mar 2017, 21:35 (Ref:3722270)   #66
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
If Lewis was behind Bottas in a faster car at that stage of a GP, telling him to hold station would be a complete waste of breath.
Old 29 Mar 2017, 03:57 (Ref:3722333)   #67
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think it is all huff and puff given Lewis wasn't able to get past Verstappen even with a known pace advantage, then Bottas was never going to get past Hamilton with the same car.
Old 29 Mar 2017, 09:01 (Ref:3722379)   #68
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzle View Post
I think it is all huff and puff given Lewis wasn't able to get past Verstappen even with a known pace advantage, then Bottas was never going to get past Hamilton with the same car.
You're probably right, apparently Ocon was 27 km/h faster down the straight than Alonso and could not get an overtake right.
Old 29 Mar 2017, 14:28 (Ref:3722434)   #69
RWill2073
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
If Lewis was behind Bottas in a faster car at that stage of a GP, telling him to hold station would be a complete waste of breath.
I think this is right. Bottas probably could have challenged Hamilton at the end but wasn't going to ruffle feathers in the team yet. Hamilton wouldn't have cared about that. Bottom line is that bottas looked competitive enough that he probably could have made a run and passed Hamilton late, which is encouraging for anyone thinking Hamilton could walk away with it this year or dominate his new teammate.
Old 29 Mar 2017, 15:40 (Ref:3722453)   #70
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWill2073 View Post
IBottom line is that bottas looked competitive enough that he probably could have made a run and passed Hamilton late,
I'm not so sure - I certainly think Bottas could have got closer to Hamilton - but then he'd have been in the dirty air of Hamiltons car and not be able to get within DRS range. Also how hard was Hamilton pushing? He wasn't going to catch Seb so he may well have just turned the engine down and cruised to the finish. All ifs and buts really though so we'll have to wait and see......
Old 29 Mar 2017, 18:46 (Ref:3722473)   #71
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
I'm not so sure - I certainly think Bottas could have got closer to Hamilton - but then he'd have been in the dirty air of Hamiltons car and not be able to get within DRS range. Also how hard was Hamilton pushing? He wasn't going to catch Seb so he may well have just turned the engine down and cruised to the finish. All ifs and buts really though so we'll have to wait and see......
Agree. I suspect Hamilton could only get so close to Vettel and Bottas could only get to close to Hamilton. And between the three of them they settled into a rough balance. Was Vettel only running so fast to maintain a specific gap to Hamilton, was Hamilton running a specific speed to maintain a gap to Vettel, etc. Everyone within striking distance incase something goes wrong with the car in front of you. But I also think Bottas pace was good and we will have to wait to see a straight up Hamilton vs. Bottas battle.

Richard
Old 29 Mar 2017, 18:52 (Ref:3722475)   #72
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
If they did have to put in team orders to keep Bottas behind, then surely that's good enough for Mercedes to know that Bottas is doing just fine? He doesn't have to beat Lewis to prove he's good enough to keep - he just needs to be close. If he's so close he gets told to slow down, then surely Mercedes would be happy with that?

Arguably, if they told Bottas to hold position, it's better than Rosberg did a lot of the time, and they kept him.
Old 9 Apr 2017, 14:20 (Ref:3725037)   #73
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
I see Hamilton is winning in the hair department. His transplant has rooted well!

Old 9 Apr 2017, 18:33 (Ref:3725086)   #74
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well, he's comprehensively ahead in all respects really after China......
Old 9 Apr 2017, 18:54 (Ref:3725091)   #75
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I see Hamilton is winning in the hair department. His transplant has rooted well!

Ohhhhh. Is that why he's wearing welding goggles now?