Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 18 May 2017, 16:32 (Ref:3734282)   #5401
roderick
Racer

Japan
roderick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridroderick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubak View Post
Well, yeap, it is great that it can be possible (maybe with some fine to Toyota Racing, 5000 Euro +/-: D) to have Stéphane Sarrazin in num. 7. So, have two solid crews ... I think Toyota strategy will be clear and from oldstyle days: have two sprint cars to catch a win and one endurance trim behind two Porsches ... and who knows, perhaps num. 9 win a race as Porsche Num. 19 in 2015 (in terms of pace, but it will be f&cking miracle! ) ). I think that last endurance crew that already won Le Mans was Peugeot in 2009. Le Mans tyres strategy is a same as last year, no change on useing numbers of tyres, right?

Good or bad, Stéphane Sarrazin was so many times in driver lineup that battleing a win (in 2014 ... or last year in 6 num .... but there is clear indication that Porsche winning crew from last year in terms of whole performance were naturally better than No. 6 Toyota and more lucky one as No. 5. )

BTW, on June's issue of updated TS050 on Racecar Engineering Pascal Vasselon said that the weakest point was clearly the quality control last year. The part that broke physically [at Le Mans] was a quality issue which was impossible to catch (ehm, like wiring loom in 2014? :-/ ). Now, if they had the same failure, they would be able to do the last lap in four minutes at Le Mans (BTW they had similar problem with num. 6 later on Nürburgring WEC and car finised). It was because whole team
were running short of time of engine developing (well, right, run first dyno on the end of the year ((2015)) and 6 months later win LM? Not possible! ) and didn’t have right mode for the engine. So, late desitions about engine change to fit into a chassis (last year article about TS050 2016 spec. was saying that position of (inter)coolers was a nightmare).

The best picture of TS050 2016 engine so far what I have found is this one...

Attachment 49592

Well, line connector (pipes) from coolers and intercoolers are pretty weird... so maybe not suffering vibrations issues during a whole event... but, seems still a bit strange at whole.
The problem wasn't just because of its placement. The real problem of intercooler pipe problem was due to adhesive connecting carbon fiber duct and aluminum manifold port.
As far as I know, they've changed the layout drastically and no longer using CF for the piping between intercooler and manifold.
Old 19 May 2017, 01:49 (Ref:3734372)   #5402
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
All aluminum now?
Old 19 May 2017, 04:38 (Ref:3734386)   #5403
bentley speed 8
Veteran

Sri Lanka
bentley speed 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbentley speed 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It all points out the fact that last year's car was a rushed job, with having to develop the new V6 much earlier than they expected. This year, they finally had time to optimize the car, and so far it seems to be quite good in the reliability department.
Old 19 May 2017, 08:41 (Ref:3734417)   #5404
Japanese Samurai
Veteran

Japan
Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!
Toyota will stream J-sports live broadcast of LM24 race for free (only in Japan ?).
http://toyotagazooracing.com/jp/wec/...4h-lemans.html
Old 19 May 2017, 13:41 (Ref:3734463)   #5405
Japanese Samurai
Veteran

Japan
Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!
Car Watch reports Toyota Le Mans tech briefing meeting.
http://car.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/1060699.html

2017 TS050 battery system electric pressure: 815V (2016 spec: 750V)
2017 TS050 battery running possible temperature: 85 degree (2016 spec: 60 degree)

Necessary time is 4 minutes and 30 seconds to charge 8MJ.

Last edited by Japanese Samurai; 19 May 2017 at 13:53.
Old 19 May 2017, 13:56 (Ref:3734468)   #5406
GasperG
Veteran

Slovenia
GasperG has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Li-ion cells at 85°C
Old 20 May 2017, 00:50 (Ref:3734567)   #5407
Hiro
Racer

Hiro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanese Samurai View Post
Necessary time is 4 minutes and 30 seconds to charge 8MJ.
No I do not think so (I stand corrected). The writer does not understand this context. The actual slide is a comparison between Prius Prime and TS050. Prius takes 3 hours to charge 10.3 MJ (from the 200V outlet) while TS050 takes 1.3 lap of Circuit de la Sarthe (converted to 4.5 minutes) to charge the same but actually it only requires the braking time which may be several ten seconds. The performance of the racing car battery is astronomical.

Last edited by Hiro; 20 May 2017 at 00:58.
Old 20 May 2017, 02:25 (Ref:3734573)   #5408
Japanese Samurai
Veteran

Japan
Thank you for correcting.
Old 20 May 2017, 14:26 (Ref:3734658)   #5409
ModelT
Rookie

ModelT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by roderick View Post
The problem wasn't just because of its placement. The real problem of intercooler pipe problem was due to adhesive connecting carbon fiber duct and aluminum manifold port.
As far as I know, they've changed the layout drastically and no longer using CF for the piping between intercooler and manifold.
Hmmmm, so it didn't simply run out of fuel then?
Old 20 May 2017, 17:45 (Ref:3734698)   #5410
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Can someone translate this image and what the square boxes represent?

I notice there's no representative of the Toyota's race engine on that graph, but they show the 'diesel turbo race engine', which I presume is based on Audi's R10, at 42.6% thermal efficiency.
Old 20 May 2017, 20:08 (Ref:3734727)   #5411
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post

I notice there's no representative of the Toyota's race engine on that graph, but they show the 'diesel turbo race engine', which I presume is based on Audi's R10, at 42.6% thermal efficiency.
The boxes are just more data points (engines) that they have data for. The square ones are diesel engines, the diamond ones are petrol engines. They've highlighted a few data points as stars, but the others are just other engines that are perhaps less relevant, so not highlighted. The diesel race engine they've highlighted comes in before the year 2000, so if the scales are accurate then that's not the Audi racing unit. There were a few diesel touring cars in the 90s, but they weren't really at the level of technology that diesel LMPs and touring cars ran in the 00s.

The line graph/arrow they've drawn through the points isn't accurate though. Both the lines should be significantly lower if they're to be accurate.
Old 20 May 2017, 20:14 (Ref:3734730)   #5412
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Yep, diesel racing engine corresponds to about 1998 or '99, which was the year that BMW won the Nurburgring 24 with a diesel.

To be honest, other than their current engine, I don't see any of Toyota's racing engines being that efficient, since the were high revving NA V8s without DFI. Granted, about the same can be said for anyone else, since especially at LM in '11 and '13 Audi burned more fuel to make more power, combined with the fact that they were running more downforce and needed that power to maximize top speed.
Old 20 May 2017, 23:14 (Ref:3734770)   #5413
Japanese Samurai
Veteran

Japan
Quote:
Title: (WEC is) Thermal efficiency improvement competition

In box: We chose gasoline engine, but its thermal efficiency figures closes up (=nearly equal to) that of diesel engine.

*However, it's ambiguous whether the comparative target is a production diesel engine or a racing diesel engine in Japanese.
Old 21 May 2017, 00:11 (Ref:3734781)   #5414
TF110
Veteran

United States
Thanks for the translations. I didn't look at it right the first time. I agree with you guys and see now the year for the diesel race engine is around the '99, 2000 mark so too early to be the R10. But if Audi was only that efficient 5 or 6 years later it's still a good deal higher than the petrol engine cars. No wonder Audi and Peugeot were said to be making near 800hp.
Old 21 May 2017, 06:41 (Ref:3734820)   #5415
GasperG
Veteran

Slovenia
GasperG has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Toyota claimed "over 40%" for TS-040, they also claim 40% for last generation Prius (pfi) and 41% for last generatin 2.5 hybrid engine (Camry).

Graph doesn't reveal anything about new TS-050 engine, I think it's just old graph they showed for representation, that diesel and gasoline efficiency are about to meet.
Old 21 May 2017, 12:31 (Ref:3734944)   #5416
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Thanks for the translations. I didn't look at it right the first time. I agree with you guys and see now the year for the diesel race engine is around the '99, 2000 mark so too early to be the R10. But if Audi was only that efficient 5 or 6 years later it's still a good deal higher than the petrol engine cars. No wonder Audi and Peugeot were said to be making near 800hp.
What it really does show is the amount of money thrown at diesel engines for development in road use. In Europe especially governments were on a massive diesel push because of better fuel mileage and lower emissions. In the UK you saved hundreds of pounds a year on tax using a diesel. Only the last 5 years or so did they start throwing the same money at petrol engine, usually little ones with turbos. Then the VW stuff kick started that more. In the UK it has highlighted we weren't even measuring the correct emission gas, nevermind the amount of gas.

The graph is pretty inaccurate in a lot of ways, but it is good at demonstrating the attitude towards the fuels and how governments pushed certain agendas at certain times.

Remember that a diesel engine is generally more efficient, and diesel contains more energy per litre than petrol, but it requires a larger and heavier engine to extract it, which makes it difficult for racing use, and more suited to high torque vehicles (lorries, tractors), and long distance motorway travelling where you don't have to do a lot of stop starting with the extra weight.
Old 21 May 2017, 13:32 (Ref:3734965)   #5417
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
In the US, I remember the old Mercedes diesels that smoked and rattled. If, you got behind one, you would think they were burning coal for fuel. With the increase in emissions laws, they faded.

Along comes the Audi LMP with "clean diesel". I bought into it even when my eyes were seeing something different. I hoped that the efficiency of the diesel could be a viable tool for increased efficiency and clean while doing so.

The last time I saw Audi and Peugeot racing at PLM, late in the night it looked like they were fogging for mosquitoes they had so much smoke coming out. Some said at the time, "All race cars smoke late in a race." I've seen many race cars at the end of a race and I know when some cars are not smoking at all and some are puffing.

VW's deception sealed the deal in the US, I think. Full electric will probably be the future while diesel stays where the torque is needed for moving larges masses.
Old 21 May 2017, 13:55 (Ref:3734973)   #5418
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Yeah the ACO regs regarding diesels said there must be no visible emissions. This was fine with the R10, but come 2008 Peugeot had turned up the fuel mixture and it was very clearly visible from trackside. Stood trackside at the esses looking up at the Dunlop bridge and you could see it against the sky in the morning. Since the ACO were then ignoring it (rule obviously didn't apply to the French cars), Audi had to respond and come the R15 they had visible fumes too, and the ACO decided to not bother with that rule.

Where did the Toyota graph come from? It's a very odd one. Doesn't seem to fit with the scales and since its LMP based you'd expect a bit of data on the Audi diesels, but they've highlighted toad cars. Its a bit strange that one.
Old 21 May 2017, 14:29 (Ref:3734985)   #5419
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Also same rules don't apply to Ford, Chevy and Dodge pick ups with diesel engines, which probably pollute a lot more than VAG's cheater engines ever did. Diesels are better at carbon emissions, but NOX emissions have never really been much different between the two.
Old 21 May 2017, 14:54 (Ref:3734993)   #5420
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Also same rules don't apply to Ford, Chevy and Dodge pick ups with diesel engines, which probably pollute a lot more than VAG's cheater engines ever did. Diesels are better at carbon emissions, but NOX emissions have never really been much different between the two.
Pickups are classified differently. I believe they have different safety standards too.
Old 21 May 2017, 14:59 (Ref:3734998)   #5421
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
Never the less, I think that they should have to abide by similar emissions standards, considering their popularity, and that gasoline engined trucks already use modified V8s from Ford, GM and Chrysler road cars.
Old 21 May 2017, 15:19 (Ref:3735003)   #5422
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Yeah, I agree but it's because they're classified differently (utility vehicles) which is how they get away with. One of the many reasons pickups are not that popular in Europe. In the UK you'd bankrupt yourself on the emissions tax. That might change with the new tax laws we have starting this year.
Old 21 May 2017, 21:57 (Ref:3735138)   #5423
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Yeah the ACO regs regarding diesels said there must be no visible emissions. This was fine with the R10, but come 2008 Peugeot had turned up the fuel mixture and it was very clearly visible from trackside. Stood trackside at the esses looking up at the Dunlop bridge and you could see it against the sky in the morning. Since the ACO were then ignoring it (rule obviously didn't apply to the French cars), Audi had to respond and come the R15 they had visible fumes too, and the ACO decided to not bother with that rule.
Yes, I do think the Audis were cleaner early on. The Peugeot entry did seem to affect the rules and things weren't as clear as before.

When everyone was talking about equalizing diesel and petrol, with a petrol engine you can restrict the air on the front end, with a diesel, you have particulate filters that restrict the engine on exhaust.

Later on, it seemed the particulate filters weren't focused on as they were earlier.
Old 22 May 2017, 02:03 (Ref:3735164)   #5424
TF110
Veteran

United States
I don't think we'll see a diesel back in lmp1 unless it's with Peugeot. But that doesn't look likely either.

On topic, does anyone think we'll see Toyota do a qualifying type run at the test day? These last few years they seem to have been focusing mostly on race pace. But now with three cars they have that much more data to compile and can split programs through three cars instead of two.
Old 22 May 2017, 02:29 (Ref:3735166)   #5425
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Qualifying serves no real purpose in a 24 hour race other than bragging rights. The test day priority is going to be the race setups. Fundamentally is poor management to pursue anything otherwise.

Will they put low fuel on a race setup, new tires, max turbo boost, max ers in qualifying practice on wednesday/thursday of raceweek? Absolutely.