Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 17 Jul 2017, 10:48 (Ref:3752109)   #226
Ospi
Veteran

Ospi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOspi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wouldn't take much for the coyote to push 650hp, the current one proposed has no internals touched. It also wouldn't require close attention at each round like a current spec supercar engine does. The albens box is also quite problematic in supercars to add an extra element of reliability to the picture.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Old 20 Jul 2017, 00:30 (Ref:3752927)   #227
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
There doesn't need to be a dumping ground for anything. There isn't a massive glut of engines. There are 3 tiers of Supercars that require them. The blocks and heads don't last forever, so there will always be demand for them.
That could change very fast if the push to switch to turbo V6s actually starts gaining ground.
Old 20 Jul 2017, 12:13 (Ref:3753071)   #228
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ospi View Post
Wouldn't take much for the coyote to push 650hp, the current one proposed has no internals touched.
Certainly, a fun Coyote build here, 625hp at 8000rpm: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-NZIOIhUiU

Without Supercars rules you would get there pretty easily, just by throwing some off-the-shelf parts at it, ordering some off-the-shelf ported cylinder heads from a reputable supplier, and a bit of fine-tuning. With supercars rule (10:1 compression, 7500rpm rev limit) it would be a bit more difficult though as Nissan and AMG have found out.

If it was up to me, I would ask InnoV8 to look into the building the Coyotes with a flat-plane crank kit to get more of a Formula 1 / Cosworth DFV sound, perhaps go up to a 9000rpm rev limit, but I don't think that is what Lamden or Supercars are going for.

Quote:
“The rod ratio (in the FlatFast kit) matches the Ferrari 488 at 1.77, but I may need to back this off a tad after I build the first few for torque purposes. The higher rod ratio reduces the nasty torsional harmonics that have given the flat-plane crank a bad name,” Stephen explained.
https://www.svtperformance.com/2015/...nk-conversion/

Last edited by V8 Fireworks; 20 Jul 2017 at 12:19.
Old 22 Jul 2017, 08:27 (Ref:3753484)   #229
Malfunction Junction
Racer

Malfunction Junction should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMalfunction Junction should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
Certainly, a fun Coyote build here, 625hp at 8000rpm: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-NZIOIhUiU

Without Supercars rules you would get there pretty easily, just by throwing some off-the-shelf parts at it, ordering some off-the-shelf ported cylinder heads from a reputable supplier, and a bit of fine-tuning. With supercars rule (10:1 compression, 7500rpm rev limit) it would be a bit more difficult though as Nissan and AMG have found out.

If it was up to me, I would ask InnoV8 to look into the building the Coyotes with a flat-plane crank kit to get more of a Formula 1 / Cosworth DFV sound, perhaps go up to a 9000rpm rev limit, but I don't think that is what Lamden or Supercars are going for.

https://www.svtperformance.com/2015/...nk-conversion/

That flat crank idea would be ace even with no other changes........
Old 22 Jul 2017, 13:11 (Ref:3753519)   #230
Jam3s
Racer

Jam3s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Issue is then dealing with vibration, particularly since they're solid mounted but damn it would sound sweet.
Old 15 Oct 2017, 00:56 (Ref:3774234)   #231
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Some indication that both prototype cars will be at Surfers Paradise in an exhibition role.
It is a long way off until something like a full field can be expected but the demo might just get me off the couch and over to the circuit.
Does anyone have info about the schedule for their appearance?
Old 15 Oct 2017, 13:04 (Ref:3774323)   #232
loon
Racer

loon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridloon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
is not one of the cars the old swift formula Nippon chassis?
Old 16 Oct 2017, 00:30 (Ref:3774399)   #233
Jam3s
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by loon View Post
is not one of the cars the old swift formula Nippon chassis?
Correct, but it's basically just the tub and front inboard pickup points which is carried over I believe, the rest is revised or completely different.

It will be good to see them both on track together, they will be liveried the same as well.
Old 16 Oct 2017, 09:31 (Ref:3774445)   #234
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam3s View Post
Correct, but it's basically just the tub and front inboard pickup points which is carried over I believe, the rest is revised or completely different.

It will be good to see them both on track together, they will be liveried the same as well.
The tub and entire nosecone is the same. I've heard it has the same floor, as well, but cannot confirm.
Old 16 Oct 2017, 09:46 (Ref:3774447)   #235
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
wonder if this category will go ahead, Adn if it does will it be of interest to most people.

Seems to be stagnating a bit in my opinion
Old 16 Oct 2017, 10:44 (Ref:3774453)   #236
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
Seems to be stagnating a bit in my opinion
With the might of the Supercars empire backing it, there is no way this category will be a failure.
Old 16 Oct 2017, 10:56 (Ref:3774457)   #237
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
With the might of the Supercars empire backing it, there is no way this category will be a failure.
You say that like it is a bad thing..

Anyway, the pilots named as testing the Super5000s on the Gold Coast may be subject to change.

What is likely to happen engine-wise is a compromise... a Ford Coyote engine from the US, complete with flat plane crank, high rev limit, and a beautiful DFV-like screech...

At some point, a technical group within Supercar shall confirm the chassis spec, and the chassis builder can start fabricating cars on behalf of Supercar for a next season start.

It isn't all doom and gloom... there just isn't loads of chat around this stuff right now...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 16 Oct 2017, 10:59 (Ref:3774459)   #238
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
You say that like it is a bad thing..
I wasn't saying it's a good thing or a bad thing

General consensus seems to be around here though that the only way for a category to succeed is if it aligns itself with Supercars, so therefore why won't this category succeed given it's alliance?
Old 16 Oct 2017, 11:03 (Ref:3774461)   #239
Ospi
Veteran

Ospi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOspi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's one car in particular drivers are almost afraid to drive again, gold Coast circuit will emphasis which.
Old 16 Oct 2017, 22:53 (Ref:3774575)   #240
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ospi View Post
There's one car in particular drivers are almost afraid to drive again, gold Coast circuit will emphasis which.
Oscar's example was very twitchy at Sandown, but it was also on slicks on a damp track, and looked to be too stiffly sprung
Old 18 Oct 2017, 00:36 (Ref:3774768)   #241
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I do not understand why the two different chassis.
Are these two different formulas, a single category that accepts the two types of chassis applying BOP or finally a single car will be chosen?
Old 18 Oct 2017, 01:20 (Ref:3774773)   #242
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafan37 View Post
I do not understand why the two different chassis.
Are these two different formulas, a single category that accepts the two types of chassis applying BOP or finally a single car will be chosen?
Its a little complicated, however two different groups attempted to re-create the same thing - F5000. Both had built a vehicle

Eventually they agreed to compromise, and that's where we currently are, trying to work out how that compromise will work.

Supposidly we get to see both vehicles this weekend
Old 18 Oct 2017, 01:25 (Ref:3774774)   #243
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Its a little complicated, however two different groups attempted to re-create the same thing - F5000. Both had built a vehicle

Eventually they agreed to compromise, and that's where we currently are, trying to work out how that compromise will work.

Supposidly we get to see both vehicles this weekend
Thanks for your answer.
Old 19 Oct 2017, 09:08 (Ref:3774991)   #244
Jam3s
Racer

You'll notice from the images from the circuit today that they have removed the large airbox from the Thunder, presumably to pull the Indy strings.
Old 19 Oct 2017, 10:53 (Ref:3775005)   #245
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
You'll notice from the images from the circuit today that they have removed the large airbox from the Thunder, presumably to pull the Indy strings.
More likely that it wasn't necessary - as I said in the past a throwback air intake was rather pointless on an otherwise modern car. It had been indicated in the past it was a temporary detail regardless.

The new airbox incorporated into the rollbar should do the needed job at least as well(remember, those old airboxes were designed during an era where designer knew next to nothing about aero compared to today), probably for less drag, and suits the car far better.

As someone who personally wants to see a modern F5000 instead of a throwback series, the FT5000 chassis now gets my nod as my preferred car. I hope Supercars sees the light on that, but I'm not holding my breath.

Old 19 Oct 2017, 14:31 (Ref:3775052)   #246
Jam3s
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
More likely that it wasn't necessary - as I said in the past a throwback air intake was rather pointless on an otherwise modern car. It had been indicated in the past it was a temporary detail regardless.

The new airbox incorporated into the rollbar should do the needed job at least as well(remember, those old airboxes were designed during an era where designer knew next to nothing about aero compared to today), probably for less drag, and suits the car far better.

As someone who personally wants to see a modern F5000 instead of a throwback series, the FT5000 chassis now gets my nod as my preferred car. I hope Supercars sees the light on that, but I'm not holding my breath.

https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net...e8&oe=5A747C1E
No one involved ever thought it was necessary, it was simply the aesthetic. That doesn't mean it couldn't still be functional, however if they decide they no longer wish to head down the nostalgic route then this latest iteration will likely become the standard for the car.

As for the chassis and engine choices, it will have little to do with form and function and mostly to do with politics. There's more people in the S5000 box with pulling power compared to the FT who have spent a lot of money on the S5000 project. To me there's very little on the S5000 which trumps the FT when it comes to anything but aesthetics (which is subjective but will be important with the fans and can't be ignored).
Old 19 Oct 2017, 23:00 (Ref:3775120)   #247
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
As for the chassis and engine choices, it will have little to do with form and function and mostly to do with politics. There's more people in the S5000 box with pulling power compared to the FT who have spent a lot of money on the S5000 project. To me there's very little on the S5000 which trumps the FT when it comes to anything but aesthetics (which is subjective but will be important with the fans and can't be ignored).
I prefer the FT5000 Spectrum car as well.

Hopefully this is chosen over the Supashock designed S5000 car.
Old 20 Oct 2017, 06:27 (Ref:3775151)   #248
one five five
Veteran

A pity they won't just race both of them in the series and find out which one is better that way.....
Old 20 Oct 2017, 06:32 (Ref:3775152)   #249
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
A pity they won't just race both of them in the series and find out which one is better that way.....
all two of them?

Expensive lesson for someone who chooses the wrong one
Old 20 Oct 2017, 06:36 (Ref:3775154)   #250
one five five
Veteran

Quote:
Expensive lesson for someone who chooses the wrong one
Thats how proper racing is. If you choose the wrong car, bad luck, try some different developments to speed it up.