Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 7 Aug 2017, 17:19 (Ref:3758018)   #251
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
WEC should ditch the 6 hour flat rate because it will give the races more personality. A 12 hour race, an 8 hour race, maybe even a 3-4 hour sprint races. The teams are too comfortable and confident with the 6 hour format - they all know how to run it in perfectly, and only a FCY in an awkward will place will disrupt this. If you vary the race lengths then it will lead to more varied results.

"Is 6 hours an endurance race" is really a completely separate question - and the answer is of course yes. I'd argue anything over 2 hours is an endurance race. Outside of NASCAR are there any regular series which race for more than 2 hours that we don't consider endurance? Not every race needs to be a full 24 hours for it to be an endurance event.

I'd happily have Spa as a 12 hour race. WEC is never going to be at Sebring any time soon, so lets make a new classic (just like ALMS did with Petit). Maybe Fuji could be 8 hours. Maybe Nurburgring could be 4 hours.
Old 7 Aug 2017, 17:31 (Ref:3758024)   #252
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Unless they change their regs, the ACO won't accept anything short of a 6 hour race. I'd rather see at least 1-2 longer races, like say 12 hours or 1000 miles/1500km.

And for these cars, anymore, 6 hours isn't an endurance race, it's a sprint race for these cars pretty much. But that's just my opinion. Not to mention as been mentioned, if you have a standard race length, everyone's strategy is pretty much standardized.

Also, IMO, if you want to do shorter races, have them be a double header. I can't see most teams traveling to do one 3-4 hour race. If anything, the flyaways should be longer or double header races to get everyone's money's worth.

Shorter races might work for regional series like IMSA or the LMS, but if you're going to ask teams to do flyaway races, either have those races be 8, 10, 12 hours long or 1500-2000km or 1000 miles. Or have two 4 hour races on the weekend.
Old 7 Aug 2017, 22:41 (Ref:3758067)   #253
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Unless they change their regs, the ACO won't accept anything short of a 6 hour race. I'd rather see at least 1-2 longer races, like say 12 hours or 1000 miles/1500km.

And for these cars, anymore, 6 hours isn't an endurance race, it's a sprint race for these cars pretty much. But that's just my opinion. Not to mention as been mentioned, if you have a standard race length, everyone's strategy is pretty much standardized.

Also, IMO, if you want to do shorter races, have them be a double header. I can't see most teams traveling to do one 3-4 hour race. If anything, the flyaways should be longer or double header races to get everyone's money's worth.

Shorter races might work for regional series like IMSA or the LMS, but if you're going to ask teams to do flyaway races, either have those races be 8, 10, 12 hours long or 1500-2000km or 1000 miles. Or have two 4 hour races on the weekend.

Full reverse grid for the second race maybe?

GT Am at the front of the grid!

Ha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 7 Aug 2017, 23:10 (Ref:3758073)   #254
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
No, that would be too gimmicky. I know that some would argue that the double header weekends would be a gimmick, too. But it could be a way to have shorter races without breaking the endurance race spirit. And it won't be a heat race, though the results of race 1 would determine the starting order for race 2 for prototypes and GTs (to save on practice and qualifying time).
Old 8 Aug 2017, 06:42 (Ref:3758122)   #255
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
6 hour race may not be much of a durability test now, but it still changes the mentality of the drivers. Drivers often talk about "flatout racing", but are they deceiving themselves? I just refuse to believe they'll take every corner starting from the 1st lap T1 as they would take them in a ~2 hour race. That's why I think this over-repeated "24 hour sprint race" saying is a joke. I've never liked the 6 hour length: too short for an endurance race, too long for a true sprint race.

Last edited by deggis; 8 Aug 2017 at 06:50.
Old 8 Aug 2017, 06:44 (Ref:3758123)   #256
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
8 hours of Spa and Fuji sound good to me.
Old 8 Aug 2017, 06:46 (Ref:3758124)   #257
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
AoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
scratch 8 at Fuji, I lose enough sleep that weekend as is.
Old 8 Aug 2017, 06:48 (Ref:3758126)   #258
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Also, 6 hours seems to work for European (and to a lesser extent, North American) TV.
Seems to work how? Eurosport doesn't show many regular WEC races live. Was even Watkins Glen fully on Fox Sports 1.
Old 8 Aug 2017, 13:27 (Ref:3758173)   #259
TzeiTzei
Veteran

Finland
TzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm not the biggest fan of the six hour races either. You sacrifice half a day for the race but don't really get that rewarding feeling you get from longer races.
Old 8 Aug 2017, 13:41 (Ref:3758176)   #260
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
WEC is never ever going to be getting viewing figures that can justify 6 hours of TV solid every single race. They should concentrate on internet exposure and be ahead of the curve for that one. This is something they're currently trying their best to fail on, as the service provided is poor. No RLM, different commentators each race, very very poor quality site, erratic video quality. It's just bad. They are upload races to YouTube afterwards, which is fantastic, but the live experience is still very poor and patchy.

This is purely my opinion and I'm sure many would disagree -

6 Hours of Silverstone
10 Hours of Spa
24 Hours of Le Mans
3 Hours of Nurburgring (make the sprint race European, less travel)
6 Hours of Mexico
12 Hours of....somewhere American
8 Hours of Fuji
6 hours of Shanghai

Lets change it up. Lets create classics. If IMSA made Petit Le Mans 2h 40m then it'd be just another race, and that's what the ACO is doing to the WEC. But I'm sure they can create an awesome 12 Hour race in America (Indy? don't know) that'll catch on. Japanese fans are crazy, they deserve a good long one too. Let's have some variety and give each race it's own feeling, rather than a stamped out 6 hour event which is what we get now. There will be problems with my suggestion obviously, but just putting it out there that varying things would be good for everyone.
Old 8 Aug 2017, 15:28 (Ref:3758203)   #261
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
I would think races being shortened from 6 hours to 5 hours is more likely than anything to account for the 1 hour GTE sprint race.
Old 8 Aug 2017, 16:09 (Ref:3758209)   #262
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
12 Hours of....somewhere American
I don't think an American WEC race is sustainable after the COTA contract expires, unfortunately. At least under the current rules set and two tracks it restricts you to.
Old 9 Aug 2017, 01:28 (Ref:3758301)   #263
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbsmith View Post
Since the Houston fence deal the FIA has really distanced themselves from any responsibility for the iffy state of American race tracks. Neither NASCAR and by extension IMSA nor IndyCar really follow FIA track grading.
Judging by the latest FIA list of licensed circuits (that of July 13, 2017), the issue looks to have been resolved. The following U.S. circuits are listed as Grade 2, with the license expiration date:

Barber, March 17, 2020 — not on FIA list of September 28, 2016
Lime Rock, February 5, 2019
Long Beach, April 6, 2018 — not on FIA list of September 28, 2016
Nola, March 31, 2018
Road America, January 15, 2020 — not on FIA list of September 28, 2016
Road Atlanta, April 15, 2018
Sebring, February 27, 2018
St. Petersburg, March 9, 2020 — not on FIA list of September 28, 2016
VIR, January 10, 2019 — not on FIA list of September 28, 2016
Watkins Glen, June 8, 2019

(COTA and Indy are, of course, Grade 1. Mosport is list as Grade 2.)
Old 9 Aug 2017, 02:53 (Ref:3758308)   #264
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
AoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://www.dailysportscar.com/2017/0...netterton.html

I don't recall seeing this, so . . .
Old 9 Aug 2017, 03:12 (Ref:3758312)   #265
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Dyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
I don't think an American WEC race is sustainable after the COTA contract expires, unfortunately. At least under the current rules set and two tracks it restricts you to.
If you ran it as a combo weekend at any of the non-street circuit tracks that IMSA races at next year it would draw solid attendance. The WEC went out and picked the worst sports car track in the country to draw a crowd at the hardest time of the year.
Old 9 Aug 2017, 03:23 (Ref:3758315)   #266
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyson Mazda View Post
If you ran it as a combo weekend at any of the non-street circuit tracks that IMSA races at next year it would draw solid attendance. The WEC went out and picked the worst sports car track in the country to draw a crowd at the hardest time of the year.
Like, I don't know, let's say Road America? Those darn pit walls though.
Old 9 Aug 2017, 05:36 (Ref:3758330)   #267
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
The WEC went out and picked the worst sports car track in the country to draw a crowd at the hardest time of the year.
True, but the WEC has a rather restrictive business model and one of the few dates & places that fits is COTA in September, which, as you said, doesn’t draw well.

Quote:
If you ran it as a combo weekend at any of the non-street circuit tracks that IMSA races at next year it would draw solid attendance.
Which, of course, doesn’t fit what the WEC is try to do (6 hour raccs at Grade 1 circuits). Even if the the WEC were willing to race at a Grade 2 circuit besides Le Mans, I’m not sure a combines date is in either series’ interest. It wouldn’t help IMSA’s branding and marketing efforts.

The WEC brass won’t like it if the IMSA part of the show draws better or comes across better than the WEC race, which is quite possible. The news stories about DPi versus LMP1 that a combined date would invite aren’t something the WEC is looking for right now.
Old 9 Aug 2017, 08:13 (Ref:3758342)   #268
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
The WEC feel that they need a North American round. It could be argued that Mexico City counts. But we don't know the future of even that race beyond this year with the financial problems that the promoter's having.

Only viable NA tracks, unless the ACO decide to take a hit/swallow their pride and run at a Grade 2 track, are Indy GP and Montreal.
Old 9 Aug 2017, 10:05 (Ref:3758361)   #269
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I think Silverstone needs to be a 12 hour event, or if not, then at least start the race at 17:00 local time so that it finishes in the dark.
Old 9 Aug 2017, 10:07 (Ref:3758362)   #270
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I think Silverstone needs to be a 12 hour event, or if not, then at least start the race at 17:00 local time so that it finishes in the dark.
Doesn't Silverstone have massive NIMBY-issues that make night racing pretty much impossible?

Also: 6h in April are already pretty miserable weatherwise - 12h in April is pretty much "Kill-me-now"-territory.
Old 9 Aug 2017, 13:33 (Ref:3758393)   #271
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
I never understood why we hate rain at Silverstone but love it at Spa.

My logic for a Silverstone 6 hour was it has ELMS the day before so is already a bit of a festival.
Old 9 Aug 2017, 16:30 (Ref:3758415)   #272
MissClarrpz
Racer

MissClarrpz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMightyM View Post
Judging by the latest FIA list of licensed circuits (that of July 13, 2017), the issue looks to have been resolved. The following U.S. circuits are listed as Grade 2, with the license expiration date:

Barber, March 17, 2020 — not on FIA list of September 28, 2016
Lime Rock, February 5, 2019
Long Beach, April 6, 2018 — not on FIA list of September 28, 2016
Nola, March 31, 2018
Road America, January 15, 2020 — not on FIA list of September 28, 2016
Road Atlanta, April 15, 2018
Sebring, February 27, 2018
St. Petersburg, March 9, 2020 — not on FIA list of September 28, 2016
VIR, January 10, 2019 — not on FIA list of September 28, 2016
Watkins Glen, June 8, 2019

(COTA and Indy are, of course, Grade 1. Mosport is list as Grade 2.)
Barber, Lime Rock, Long Beach, St Pete, Mosport-Too Short
Nola-Too expensive for track
VIR, Road America-Too poor facilities
Watkins, Road Atlanta, Sebring-Already major sportscar races, probably don't want another

So Indy, Montreal, CotA or no NA
Old 9 Aug 2017, 17:47 (Ref:3758426)   #273
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
COTA's probably out due to poor promotion and poor track management. So it's probably Indy or Montreal. That's unless the ACO decide to swallow their pride and run a Grade 2 track.

However, given the ACO's hubris over the past decade or so, the existing management of the ACO would have to be forced out before that happens. They'd rather sink the WEC than do what makes sense it seems.
Old 9 Aug 2017, 18:18 (Ref:3758431)   #274
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
Quote:
COTA's probably out due to poor promotion and poor track management. So it's probably Indy or Montreal. That's unless the ACO decide to swallow their pride and run a Grade 2 track.

However, given the ACO's hubris over the past decade or so, the existing management of the ACO would have to be forced out before that happens. They'd rather sink the WEC than do what makes sense it seems.
They can't run anywhere but COTA, Montreal, Mexico City, and Indy as they are the only tracks that have pit garages.
Old 9 Aug 2017, 18:26 (Ref:3758432)   #275
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
They can't run anywhere but COTA, Montreal, Mexico City, and Indy as they are the only tracks that have pit garages.
If they stick to the current ideals then yeah, for sure. But they have run WEC at Sebring before. Ok the race was a mess and had about 9-10 classes, but it does show they can make it work.

They can adjust if they want. It's more a case if they want to adapt to fit an American style circuit, or if it's worth it. WEC really hasn't taken off in America, so should they keep going at it? Or just move elsewhere?