Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Aug 2017, 20:39 (Ref:3759417)   #651
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yes, I did realize it when I did a search for 'man spitting out drink gif' on Google, but thank you for mentioning it, Adam43.
Old 14 Aug 2017, 22:25 (Ref:3759431)   #652
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
ASCII Man, you do realise you've just posted an animated gif. I thought I'd mention it just in case.
Ban him!! 😂
Old 15 Aug 2017, 03:15 (Ref:3759448)   #653
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
Agreed. But one of McLaren-Honda's problems, as well as the lack of pace and unreliability, has been the gap - well, yawning chasm, really - between their rhetoric and ambition on the one hand and their performance on the other. I keep having to remind myself that there is no immutable law that McLaren will recover and fight at the front, and that BRM, Lotus, Brabham and Tyrrell all won championships before declining and finally going into death spirals.
Ha! Well I do like the idea that future success for anyone is not inevitable. Generally speaking nobody is safe from a future "death spiral" (some are more safe than others). "If" McLaren was to "fail", I suspect it would look different than some of those examples above. I can't remember how the F1 team and commercial enterprise are structured. Likely the commercial side can survive without the F1 team. The F1 team might become something else. But regardless, a very good point to make.

What I think could be more likely for the F1 side of the McLaren house is a Williams style long slow slide into general mediocrity. Williams has had relatively erratic performance over the past 10+ years (with occasional highlights, but not enough to show a positive trend). And I say this is an absolute fan of Williams who would love to see them back on top.

Richard
Old 21 Aug 2017, 14:03 (Ref:3760748)   #654
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The only way Williams and McLaren will get back on top is with primary A-grade engine supplies, running a Renault or Merc engine they will only ever get B-grade motors......hence its worth toughing it out with Honda, but I admit, its taken far too long........most of McLarens problems are self inflicted as they pushed honda to package the engine too tight (size zero) in the first place when Honda re-joined F1 3 years ago.

If the Honda deal goes south for McLaren I think they are long over-due making their own engines, the simplified 2021 motors may allow this. McLaren use Ricardo for their road car powertrain R&D and employ a lot of very experienced powertrain engineers for the road-car engine business......they just need to actually realize they can do an F1 engine and make the jump with assistance from Ricardo and Zytek.

Or like I said before, get their old mate Mario Illien (Ilmor) on the case and just pay his bills
Old 21 Aug 2017, 14:52 (Ref:3760754)   #655
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Someone needs to get GM, PSA or Ford interested in Formula 1.
Old 21 Aug 2017, 15:14 (Ref:3760757)   #656
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
Someone needs to get GM, PSA or Ford interested in Formula 1.
that will never happen, the real automotive money these days is in china, trust me I work in the powertrain R&D industry for a living, someone like Geely, PATAK, Chery, Great-Wall and so on.......they have money coming out of their ears, but nobody has ever heard of them, so they could do with the F1 exposure........hence buddying up with McLaren for an F1 engine done by Ilmor is easy for all parties involved.
Old 21 Aug 2017, 15:31 (Ref:3760758)   #657
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty View Post
The only way Williams and McLaren will get back on top is with primary A-grade engine supplies, running a Renault or Merc engine they will only ever get B-grade motors......
was Williams getting b grade versions of the Renault PUs in 2012 & 2013 though? RB won those years and Williams were also pretty fairly trounced by a severely underfunded Lotus- Renault team as well.

and now with Merc power they still tended to get out classed by Force India (and i cant imagine that FI have a more favourable engine deal/upgrade schedule then Williams do).

anyways it's not that i disagree, but rather i think the bigger issue is budget size followed by how they spend their money.

even with access to the best engine, Williams, certainly, would struggle financially to maintain the development pace necessary to be competitive at the sharp end over an entire season.

plus these are large corporations now and no doubt subject to sprawling costs stemming from building up and supporting other departments/projects...something Force India by contrast doesnt have to deal with.

sad to say, but Williams and Mclaren are not the lean and mean racing enterprises they once were.

sort of an unrelated point, but i think FI is one of the most efficient teams in terms of points per dollar spent...i think if that team can get access to a new owner/full manu backing i could see them jumping to the sharp end more quickly then Williams or Mclaren getting back up there.
Old 21 Aug 2017, 16:34 (Ref:3760764)   #658
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
was Williams getting b grade versions of the Renault PUs in 2012 & 2013 though? RB won those years and Williams were also pretty fairly trounced by a severely underfunded Lotus- Renault team as well.

and now with Merc power they still tended to get out classed by Force India (and i cant imagine that FI have a more favourable engine deal/upgrade schedule then Williams do).

anyways it's not that i disagree, but rather i think the bigger issue is budget size followed by how they spend their money.

even with access to the best engine, Williams, certainly, would struggle financially to maintain the development pace necessary to be competitive at the sharp end over an entire season.

plus these are large corporations now and no doubt subject to sprawling costs stemming from building up and supporting other departments/projects...something Force India by contrast doesnt have to deal with.

sad to say, but Williams and Mclaren are not the lean and mean racing enterprises they once were.

sort of an unrelated point, but i think FI is one of the most efficient teams in terms of points per dollar spent...i think if that team can get access to a new owner/full manu backing i could see them jumping to the sharp end more quickly then Williams or Mclaren getting back up there.
Williams throw a lot of bits at the car but they have bit of a history of not always working, something that Paddy Lowe is addressing. They also have consistently produced cars that are not effective on some circuits, I know that Williams are focused on their lack of budget compared to Ferrari and Red Bull, but I doubt that FI have a bigger budget than Williams, and probably quite a lot less, they seem leaner and keener and with a better driver line up. Perhaps Williams is held back by keeping a big team mentality on small team budgets? And I speak as a long time Williams fan and follower!
Old 22 Aug 2017, 00:49 (Ref:3760837)   #659
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
Williams throw a lot of bits at the car but they have bit of a history of not always working, something that Paddy Lowe is addressing. They also have consistently produced cars that are not effective on some circuits, I know that Williams are focused on their lack of budget compared to Ferrari and Red Bull, but I doubt that FI have a bigger budget than Williams, and probably quite a lot less, they seem leaner and keener and with a better driver line up. Perhaps Williams is held back by keeping a big team mentality on small team budgets? And I speak as a long time Williams fan and follower!
I think that Paddy Lowe is a great get for Williams, now the test will be to see if they listen to him and give him the authority to carry out the changes he wants. Paddy is absolutely the X factor that Williams need to be competitive again, will they take the opportunity or fire him?

I agree FI are something special, their consistent results are very very impressive. Year in year out they punch well above their weight.

Last edited by wnut; 22 Aug 2017 at 00:57.
Old 22 Aug 2017, 09:40 (Ref:3760906)   #660
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I agree, Williams did well in getting Paddy
Old 22 Aug 2017, 15:12 (Ref:3760964)   #661
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
Perhaps Williams is held back by keeping a big team mentality on small team budgets? And I speak as a long time Williams fan and follower!
which is a problem, that i would think, gets magnified by poaching/enticing talent from other top/big budget teams. Paddy is great but can he get back to success with a team that has a much smaller budget?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
I agree FI are something special, their consistent results are very very impressive. Year in year out they punch well above their weight.
i would like to know more about Andrew Green's technical team (i think thats their tech directors name) and why the likes of Williams and Mclaren are not more actively trying to poach him or people from departments that have proven to work well under a smaller budget....maybe not so much Mclaren at this point but certainly Williams could benefit from this imo.

or they could get lucky and just discover the next Newey!
Old 22 Aug 2017, 16:55 (Ref:3760980)   #662
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to say I think Williams main problem this year is drivers.
Old 22 Aug 2017, 23:49 (Ref:3761041)   #663
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cds_uk View Post
I have to say I think Williams main problem this year is drivers.
2016 9th (Bottas) and 11th (Massa) in drivers championship.

2017 11th (Massa) and 12th (Bottas) in drivers championship.
Old 23 Aug 2017, 03:26 (Ref:3761067)   #664
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
2016 9th (Bottas) and 11th (Massa) in drivers championship.

2017 11th (Massa) and 12th (Bottas) in drivers championship.
indeed!

I think the actual values are...

2016 8th (Bottas) and 11th (Massa) in drivers championship.

2017 11th (Massa), 12th (Stroll) and 3rd (Bottas) in drivers championship (incomplete season)

They don't have a strong paring this year, but Bottas is doing well enough this year that IMHO, Williams have larger issues than a lack of driving talent.

Back on topic...

Lots of speculation and press hype for the spec 4 power unit. Cross fingers and hope Honda has made real progress on both power and reliability.

Richard
Old 23 Aug 2017, 10:09 (Ref:3761135)   #665
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
Well knock me over with a feather ;-).......Ilmor have been helping Honda on the F1 engine for a short while now......Finally Honda realised they needed help from an external consulting company who actually knew what they are doing.....flippin great news......I would love to see McLaren now overtake the Renaults.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/131354/honda-ilmor-boost-creates-mclaren-dilemma

Old 23 Aug 2017, 12:01 (Ref:3761166)   #666
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty View Post
Well knock me over with a feather ;-).......Ilmor have been helping Honda on the F1 engine for a short while now......Finally Honda realised they needed help from an external consulting company who actually knew what they are doing.....flippin great news......I would love to see McLaren now overtake the Renaults.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13...claren-dilemma

Fixed link, not sure why yours is just text and not a hyperlink ...

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13...claren-dilemma

It's been clear for awhile that you are not a Honda fan. But if you have been paying any attention to reports directly from Honda (mostly direct quotes and not speculative reporting via the Japanese press), they have been using outside resources on the 2017 engine from the start. I think the only thing that might be new in that article is speculation/rumors that they "are" working with Ilmor vs. that they "might" or "should" be working with them. Even then... it might not even be true. Ilmor might not be involved.

My amateur opinion is that Honda's problems are less about who they are consulting with, than their testing and project management philosophies. For example... I read that they go straight from engine dyno to chassis integration at the track. They don't have a chassis dyno such as the AVL setup that others have. I have no idea if they plan to change that, or how they plan to work around that deficiency if they don't start using one.

But, there is no doubt this has all been discussed extensively inside McLaren and Honda. Honda claims they are changing their ways. Let's see what plays out in the second half of the season. Personally I think it's unlikely McLaren will move to Renault. I suspect Red Bull (via Toro Rosso) hold all the cards. If they don't want TR to switch to Honda, then that holds up both a path for Honda to have at least one team and the Renault engine supply moving from TR to McLaren (Renault has their own problems and doesn't want to increase the number of teams they supply). If anything, assuming the new spec goes well, I can see Honda at both McLaren and TR. This being RB putting a toe in the waters to test Honda plus play Honda against Renault.

Richard
Old 23 Aug 2017, 14:22 (Ref:3761191)   #667
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
Its not a case of me not being a Honda fan, when Honda returned 3 years ago I was actually pretty excited, I am more frustrated that both Honda and McLaren both got themselves into such a mucking fuddle, especially when the year before Hondas arrival Mclaren ran the first Mercedes turbo engine, so had a good idea of what to expect and how to achieve it, like with the split turbo and so on......to pursue the axial flow turbine was utterly foolish on both sides of the partnership........then look what happened over the last 3 years.......honestly I am desperate to see them get on the podium, I would like to see Honda remain with McLaren, as I honestly believe the Renault engine will not be a long term solution.

Like I said in another post, for McLaren and Williams to return to the front and dominate the sport again, they both need A-grade engines.......the sooner Williams jump to Honda the better......then Honda will have 2 quality teams with which to dominate F1 again like in the 80's.
Old 24 Aug 2017, 07:26 (Ref:3761321)   #668
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Well, well.. that article also states that Mercedes has had some input on the Honda PU!

Wait, when did this all happen!??
Old 24 Aug 2017, 08:10 (Ref:3761329)   #669
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
Well, well.. that article also states that Mercedes has had some input on the Honda PU!

Wait, when did this all happen!??
It doesn't actually say Mercedes had input on the PU - although that might be what is implied.
What it actually says is that Mercedes had input behind the scenes at Honda.
That could mean many things - help in staff structures, historical testing data of Merc PU, sharing of transmission data....
Old 24 Aug 2017, 08:57 (Ref:3761333)   #670
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
[QUOTEWell, well.. that article also states that Mercedes has had some input on the Honda PU!][/QUOTE]

I think they put a spanner in the works...
Old 24 Aug 2017, 11:43 (Ref:3761354)   #671
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Surely with Merc help they'd do a lot better than this now or are they deliberately sabotaging it
Old 24 Aug 2017, 12:50 (Ref:3761368)   #672
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
They have been rumours circulating for a number of weeks now that Mercedes have been "assisting" Honda with their PUs, but both sides, and McLaren, vehemently deny that there is any truth to the matter.

Whatever the "truth" is, I doubt that it will be acknowledged for a very long time, if ever.
Old 24 Aug 2017, 14:10 (Ref:3761377)   #673
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
They have been rumours circulating for a number of weeks now that Mercedes have been "assisting" Honda with their PUs, but both sides, and McLaren, vehemently deny that there is any truth to the matter.

Whatever the "truth" is, I doubt that it will be acknowledged for a very long time, if ever.
I expect that is correct. That given any involvement by a large manufacture is primarily a marketing exercise of your own engineering prowess, it is a negative to expose the dirty truths of things like rebadging the designs of others, outsourcing design and construction to a third party as well as help from third party consultants or other manufactures.

Maybe at some point in the future, someone on the inside will step forward once their career is over and safe from professional repercussions and provide details of who they are, why they should be trusted and what really happened. At the moment it is nothing more than a large amount of unsubstantiated rumors and speculation or which some percentage is likely true. We just don't know which percent.

And of course there will always be those who are, or purport to be insiders who live behind aliases who will say "I can't say who I am, but trust me". But the problem is... you have "insiders" who give conflicting statements. It's hard to even decide which "insider" to trust. Posts here and on other forums I visit (as well as media speculation) reminds me of the lyrics from a Dire Straits song... "Two men say they're Jesus one of them must be wrong".

Richard
Old 24 Aug 2017, 14:56 (Ref:3761379)   #674
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Maybe at some point in the future, someone on the inside will step forward once their career is over and safe from professional repercussions and provide details of who they are, why they should be trusted and what really happened.
Sorry for quoting myself... When I typed the above, I was thinking about something like this...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1937747336

That book is by ex-Ilmor people and tells the story of the pushrod engine built by Ilmor Engineering for the 1994 Indy 500 that was eventually badged as a Mercedes (this was back before Mercedes bought that company which eventually became the group that built the current F1 engine for Mercedes).

I am not sure this current Honda saga is book worthy (I would buy a copy), but I do expect at some point, someone will step out of the shadows and tell the story.

Richard
Old 24 Aug 2017, 18:18 (Ref:3761408)   #675
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Sorry for quoting myself... When I typed the above, I was thinking about something like this...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1937747336

That book is by ex-Ilmor people and tells the story of the pushrod engine built by Ilmor Engineering for the 1994 Indy 500 that was eventually badged as a Mercedes (this was back before Mercedes bought that company which eventually became the group that built the current F1 engine for Mercedes).

I am not sure this current Honda saga is book worthy (I would buy a copy), but I do expect at some point, someone will step out of the shadows and tell the story.

Richard
That would be Mercedes-Benz High Performance Engines Ltd. In 2005, Mario Illien in partnership with Roger Penske bought the Special Projects division from Mercedes-Benz High Performance Engines Ltd., because it was involved in developing the Honda IndyCar engine from 2003-2006 with HPD, Honda Performance Development. The new company, which is totally independent of Mercedes, is again called Ilmor Engineering Ltd.