Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 10 Sep 2017, 23:56 (Ref:3765941)   #1501
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
As Mr. Spock would say: "Intriguing".

http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/131714
Old 11 Sep 2017, 02:59 (Ref:3765958)   #1502
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder what are the 40 places for potential new GPs?
Old 11 Sep 2017, 07:22 (Ref:3765975)   #1503
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Expressed interest, nothing else.

I suppose of you are expanding into new areas, a lot of countries would be interested.

But it is largely conjecture. Touting that you want new GP's to PM's and business leaders is very different to them agreeing to shell out 300 million to build a track!!

The sport has no presence in Africa which is poor. Sepang is going, I can see Thailand coming, maybe Indonesia. Honda certainly have massive presence there in bike terms.

Can see more Baku type venues coming, and maybe a couple more races in South America.
Old 11 Sep 2017, 08:58 (Ref:3765989)   #1504
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Maybe they should have non championship events at these new venues first to see if they are worth it
Old 11 Sep 2017, 12:08 (Ref:3766034)   #1505
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Expressed interest, nothing else.

I suppose of you are expanding into new areas, a lot of countries would be interested.

But it is largely conjecture. Touting that you want new GP's to PM's and business leaders is very different to them agreeing to shell out 300 million to build a track!!

The sport has no presence in Africa which is poor. Sepang is going, I can see Thailand coming, maybe Indonesia. Honda certainly have massive presence there in bike terms.

Can see more Baku type venues coming, and maybe a couple more races in South America.
But they have said they aren't interested in having anymore low impact events so I expect that rules out any more former 3rd world countries.
New venues will be either known or 'heritage' purpose built circuits or new street tracks in destination cities.

How long before we all get fed up with hearing 'Destination cities' trotted out?
Old 11 Sep 2017, 16:23 (Ref:3766094)   #1506
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Africa really is the glaring omission. I'd like to see them race in Marrakesh or at Kyalami.
Old 12 Sep 2017, 13:13 (Ref:3766271)   #1507
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
Africa really is the glaring omission. I'd like to see them race in Marrakesh or at Kyalami.
Or Welkom, that looked quite a modern but flowing track when MotoGP was there, but like the Dubai circuit?
Old 12 Sep 2017, 13:57 (Ref:3766279)   #1508
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
The new Kyalami looks nice, so would love to see F1 there
Old 12 Sep 2017, 14:21 (Ref:3766287)   #1509
el_cat
Racer

el_cat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just out of interest, what are the current circuits that hold Grade 1 or 1T status that haven't hosted a race recently?

I understand that Buriram is Grade 1, and I'm sure I read that Losail might be as well. Algarve, Mugello, Jerez all 1T I assume? And Vallelunga, which I didn't know

Kyalami I read isn't a million miles from 1/1T, but which other permanent facilities are up to scratch or close to it?
Old 12 Sep 2017, 15:25 (Ref:3766301)   #1510
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Welkom was horrendously bumpy and I believe was run into the ground a little, all sorts of stories surrounding that place in various places!!

Had an oval aswell remember, though not sure anything ever ran there.

Kyalami cant even run bike races anymore, and was broke I think, so I doubt they could run a race without massive investment, and I think housing was encroaching significantly was it not?

I think Qatar will ne soon, can run under lights obviously, not sure about pits though? And no spectator area to speak of, though none of the big Arabic tracks do, but Qatar is small fan wise.

Has to eb able to be affordable.

Are the AbuDhabi, Bahrain GP's expensive to attend? Is that why no-one really goes? I know India was, as was Turkey, not sure about Korea.
Old 12 Sep 2017, 23:11 (Ref:3766404)   #1511
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_cat View Post
Just out of interest, what are the current circuits that hold Grade 1 or 1T status that haven't hosted a race recently?

I understand that Buriram is Grade 1, and I'm sure I read that Losail might be as well. Algarve, Mugello, Jerez all 1T I assume? And Vallelunga, which I didn't know

Kyalami I read isn't a million miles from 1/1T, but which other permanent facilities are up to scratch or close to it?
Grade 1T is no more. IIRC all it was was a Grade 2 circuit that paid some extra money to the FIA to allow F1 cars to test there. Jerez and Mugello are Grade 1. Algarve and Vallelunga are Grade 2.

The list as of July 17, 2017 of FIA licensed circuits by grade can be found here: "List of FIA licenced circuits"
Old 13 Sep 2017, 03:45 (Ref:3766428)   #1512
JABWOA
Veteran

Australia
3rd star to the left
JABWOA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So from that list:
Heritage Tracks: Estoril, Fuji, Hockenheim, Imola, Indy, Instanbul (!!), Jerez, Korea, Magny, India, Valencia
New: None as the following are under 5.5km minimum F1 track length - Grade 1 tracks under 5.5km are: Buriram, Dubai, Moscow Raceway, Motorland, Mugello, Qatar

Plus any manner of long temporary street circuits as long as the cheque clears.
Old 13 Sep 2017, 04:13 (Ref:3766430)   #1513
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Chunder, Porsche bought Kyalami and HEAVILY revitalized it.

While it isn't in F1 state, Welkom doesn't look dire by any means either.

The number of people in either the UAE or Bahrain who could possibly afford to go to ANY Grand Prix, much less one of those two, is quite limited. Populations of those countries, as well as Qatar, are quite small. Furthermore, all are inflated significantly by foreign nationals working there.
Old 13 Sep 2017, 04:20 (Ref:3766431)   #1514
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
JAB, I'm unaware of any 5.5-km minimum for F1. I think Appendix O would basically put it at either 3.5 or 3.7 km.

If there were such a thing, Shanghai, Bahrain, Qatar, Dubai, Istanbul, and India wouldn't meet it. That's two current, two (recent) former, and two potential circuits. That 5.5-km assertion just sounds absurd, and I'm aware of no codified basis for it.
Old 14 Sep 2017, 02:44 (Ref:3766690)   #1515
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This could be the design of the circuit of Buenos Aires.
Unfortunately with a chicane in Salotto.
https://www.motorlat.com/filemanager...tina_2019.jpeg
https://www.motorlat.com/notas/f1/24...f1-a-argentina
Old 14 Sep 2017, 13:12 (Ref:3766816)   #1516
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Including the first sector, fine.
A sharper chicane the the end of the back straight, fine.

But the double twisty Salotto and mid-straight chicane are completely outrageous.

I would accept a sharper Salotto entrance, but not more.
Old 14 Sep 2017, 13:36 (Ref:3766819)   #1517
S griffin
Veteran

They cannot be serious? Getting rid of the best corner on the circuit, and then putting a chicane on a straight. Everything else, fine, but the flow will be ruined
Old 14 Sep 2017, 14:23 (Ref:3766823)   #1518
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
First sector ok, the entrance to Salotto I can understand being tightened especially as it will mark the end of probably slightly over 1000m "straight".

What I don't get is that ridiculously tights set of esses that have their entrance so close to the lake?

I can understand not wanting another 900m straight coming back around the lake, but there has to be something more elegant than that chicane.

Finally at the end of the straight, what the hell is that supposed to be? It looks like a street course solution to where a new roundabout has been built across where previous years have raced.
I'd also suggest as drawn it's not very safe either. As cars go through the right hander there is a section where they will be pointing at cars coming out of tight left handed part without any form of barrier. I know this happens at chicanes at other circuits, but it usually occurs on a slow apex where the car has slowed in a straight line before hand, this would be happening through a curved braking zone for that tight second part.
Old 14 Sep 2017, 15:29 (Ref:3766833)   #1519
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafan37 View Post
How to ruin the character of a track.
Old 14 Sep 2017, 17:25 (Ref:3766859)   #1520
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Yeah, That's pretty painful looking. Also, it doesn't exactly look workable; I can definitely see potential run-off issues.

Furthermore, that layout gives you one, or maybe two, decent overtaking opportunities on the lap. The problem with those ultra-tight corners is, you NEED a straight of at least 1,200 m following to allow the cars to make up the physical gap that opens under acceleration after such a slow corner.

So the only given overtaking point I see is that 90, or whatever it is, at the first part of Salotto. Maybe that chicane on the return run from Salotto won't be too tight, so there might be a shot at the end of the long loop. The left-hander there, however, is so slow, you don't have enough straight before the final hairpin. And if they've tightened that last, real turn, then there's really no chance of being close enough to the guy in front to make a move into Turn 1.
Old 14 Sep 2017, 17:28 (Ref:3766861)   #1521
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
How to ruin the character of a track.
Yes, I think like you. It is simply removing the challenges of the track, the safety is killing motorsport.
Old 20 Sep 2017, 00:45 (Ref:3768671)   #1522
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
JAB, I'm unaware of any 5.5-km minimum for F1. I think Appendix O would basically put it at either 3.5 or 3.7 km.

If there were such a thing, Shanghai, Bahrain, Qatar, Dubai, Istanbul, and India wouldn't meet it. That's two current, two (recent) former, and two potential circuits. That 5.5-km assertion just sounds absurd, and I'm aware of no codified basis for it.
What is even the reason for a 3.5/7 km minimum? It's not like the grid is so big you keed the space.
Old 21 Sep 2017, 04:34 (Ref:3768980)   #1523
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Maybe they don't want F1 cars lapping in under a minute. Honestly though, most any track under 2.0 miles isn't going to be that enjoyable, with the possible exception of Portland or something.

For international-level, Grade 3 circuit racing and up, the absolute minimum, unless there's a special exception, such as in the case of Lime Rock, the length is 3.0 km.

Also, with relatively few exceptions, road courses under 2.5 miles (~4.0 km) aren't usually up to full Grade 2 standard anyway, except for those of us here in NA with Mosport, Laguna Seca, Mid Ohio, Lime Rock, etc., plus our bevy of street circuits. You have a few in Europe, namely Sachsenring and Oschersleben, along with a few in Japan: Aida/Okayama and Sugo. I might also say that Eastern Creek passes muster, but around the world, that's about it.
Old 21 Sep 2017, 07:51 (Ref:3769012)   #1524
Mr Pink
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Mr Pink should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafan37 View Post
That is just painful. Hockenheim levels of destruction.
Old 27 Sep 2017, 19:58 (Ref:3770162)   #1525
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Is there a Danish GP on the way based in the center of Copenhagan?

http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/132058

This looks like the sort of location that Liberty would like to bring F1 to but is it viable?