Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 2 Oct 2017, 16:49 (Ref:3771321)   #326
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Plato just did not seem his old self at Brands. After taking the wets in R1 which turned out to be wrong, he just seemed to give up, I mean in R3 he was beaten by Stewart Lines of all people.

Interesting wiki have on their entry list two Handy Alfas.
Old 2 Oct 2017, 16:55 (Ref:3771323)   #327
850Estate
Veteran

Sweden
GBR/SWE
850Estate should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by psq43 View Post
Now, I heard that too....

I'm glad someone else said it first though in case I said it, and it wasn't true!
Purely to fan the flames of rumour here, you could maybe read something into this from Jason on BTCC Crazy.

Quote:
“What a brilliant result,” Plato told BTCC Crazy. “Ashley winning the title validates everything we knew we could do with this package despite the constant changes being made throughout the season – it is job done.
Old 2 Oct 2017, 17:11 (Ref:3771331)   #328
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Interesting wiki have on their entry list two Handy Alfas.
References the TCT article, yet that article clearly talks about 'the car' in the singular.

Entry has since been updated. Remember that wiki can be edited by anyone, including those who are unable to distinguish between one and two.
Old 2 Oct 2017, 20:15 (Ref:3771359)   #329
ExplodeTheApex
Racer

United Kingdom
ExplodeTheApex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On a positive note, in the interviews after the final Porsche race on Sunday Dan Cammish seemed to suggest that he has his best chance yet of landing a competitive BTCC seat next year, which would be great!

Thinking wildly outside the box for a minute, is it possible that there could be some sort of Plato/Ingram team tie up with a new manufacturer? Plato seems to be a big fan of his and mentored him on the KX Akademy program, and could fit in with the Plato leaving BMR and Speedworks car switch possibilities?
Old 2 Oct 2017, 21:15 (Ref:3771372)   #330
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExplodeTheApex View Post
On a positive note, in the interviews after the final Porsche race on Sunday Dan Cammish seemed to suggest that he has his best chance yet of landing a competitive BTCC seat next year, which would be great!

Thinking wildly outside the box for a minute, is it possible that there could be some sort of Plato/Ingram team tie up with a new manufacturer? Plato seems to be a big fan of his and mentored him on the KX Akademy program, and could fit in with the Plato leaving BMR and Speedworks car switch possibilities?
Two Scoobs Speedworks? That would be interesting...
Old 2 Oct 2017, 22:09 (Ref:3771378)   #331
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoner View Post

I'd really like to know why Josh Cook thought driving such a geriatric car was a better choice than sticking with the decent Ford Focus at Maximum.
Josh didn't have the budget to finish the season at Maximum, in fact I don't think he would have gone past Croft if he'd stayed.

The MG drive didn't require any budget from him.
Old 3 Oct 2017, 08:18 (Ref:3771462)   #332
850Estate
Veteran

Sweden
GBR/SWE
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic View Post
Josh didn't have the budget to finish the season at Maximum, in fact I don't think he would have gone past Croft if he'd stayed.

The MG drive didn't require any budget from him
If that's true it's quite something - where did MG/Triple Eight/BMR get the money to run the car from?
Old 3 Oct 2017, 09:36 (Ref:3771473)   #333
Jiiiiiiim
Veteran

England
Devon
Jiiiiiiim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 850Estate View Post
If that's true it's quite something - where did MG/Triple Eight/BMR get the money to run the car from?
Josh definitely didn't have the funds to see out the year at Maximum, though I don't know the details of the deal he struck with 888.
Old 3 Oct 2017, 11:36 (Ref:3771491)   #334
BobJones
Veteran

BobJones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
If there are any Subarus in 2018......
There's a three-year contract out there, but as we know, BMR doesn't own the chassis and who knows the exit clauses.

Would be a massive shame, especially after winning the driver's title.
Old 3 Oct 2017, 12:13 (Ref:3771500)   #335
BobJones
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckn002 View Post
Stewart Lines - as others have said, and as much as they've been hanging onto the TBL, I think Maximum will be off to TCR UK. Other than with Cook they've had little success and it was clear Lines really did not want to be driving from the interviews I saw.
Tony Gilham had a driver and sponsors lined-up to help Lines with the Cook-shaped hole. Lines said no because....well, god knows. Maybe he saw Cook's performances in the upgraded car and thought he could give it a bash?

Quote:
As for drivers changing teams, I can't see many changes happening - most people looked at home to me in their current teams. But then again I said the same thing last season - roll on silly season!
I think the reverse, we are in for one of the silliest seasons it quite some time and perhaps a return of some more 'amateur' drivers filling seats.
Old 3 Oct 2017, 13:18 (Ref:3771504)   #336
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJones View Post
Tony Gilham had a driver and sponsors lined-up to help Lines with the Cook-shaped hole. Lines said no because....well, god knows. Maybe he saw Cook's performances in the upgraded car and thought he could give it a bash?
???:

“We tried to make it work with a younger driver, and I thought the summer break would have given us time to find another racer with some budget, but that hasn’t been the case,” said Lines.
“Rather than being left high and dry, the best option was for me to do the rest of the year to make sure we can fulfil our commitment to be on the grid.”
Old 3 Oct 2017, 14:00 (Ref:3771513)   #337
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
The MG drive didn't require any budget from him.
Funding Cooks ride whilst not repairing Platos?
Old 3 Oct 2017, 14:37 (Ref:3771519)   #338
luckn002
Veteran

England
South England
luckn002 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds like no change for Andrew Jordan next year... for once!

http://www.btcccrazy.co.uk/btcc/andr...surrey-racing/
Old 3 Oct 2017, 15:13 (Ref:3771522)   #339
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Hopefully he'll have a more consistent season in 2018
Old 3 Oct 2017, 17:41 (Ref:3771558)   #340
luckn002
Veteran

England
South England
luckn002 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Sounds like no change for Andrew Jordan next year... for once!

http://www.btcccrazy.co.uk/btcc/andr...surrey-racing/
...and looks like a similar story for Mat Jackson at Motorbase

http://www.btcccrazy.co.uk/btcc/mat-jackson-signs-off-rollercoaster-year-with-independent-victory/
Old 3 Oct 2017, 18:37 (Ref:3771567)   #341
850Estate
Veteran

Sweden
GBR/SWE
Quote:
...and looks like a similar story for Mat Jackson at Motorbase

http://www.btcccrazy.co.uk/btcc/mat-...ndent-victory/
I can't remember if it was said at the time, but I take it the Shredded Wheat deal is in place next season?
Old 3 Oct 2017, 18:51 (Ref:3771568)   #342
pimmy
Veteran

England
Witney
pimmy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's a three year deal.
Old 4 Oct 2017, 08:29 (Ref:3771699)   #343
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I'm pretty sure Tony's offer included Stewart handing over the TBL to Team Hard.
Old 4 Oct 2017, 09:13 (Ref:3771704)   #344
850Estate
Veteran

Sweden
GBR/SWE
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimmy View Post
It's a three year deal.
Good stuff, should give the team some continuity over the break - and, I'd imagine, allow Jackson to get some decent test miles under his belt.
Old 4 Oct 2017, 11:18 (Ref:3771730)   #345
S griffin
Veteran

Well hopefully the backing will this time work, as you say with more time to test
Old 4 Oct 2017, 11:39 (Ref:3771743)   #346
BobJones
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
???:

“We tried to make it work with a younger driver, and I thought the summer break would have given us time to find another racer with some budget, but that hasn’t been the case,” said Lines.
“Rather than being left high and dry, the best option was for me to do the rest of the year to make sure we can fulfil our commitment to be on the grid.”
Link to tweets already discussed elsewhere in the forum (sorry, I forget where) that showed Gilham's helping hand that was turned down.
Old 4 Oct 2017, 11:40 (Ref:3771745)   #347
BobJones
Veteran

Quote:
I'm pretty sure Tony's offer included Stewart handing over the TBL to Team Hard.
I think you are correct. Or at least borrowed.
Old 4 Oct 2017, 11:43 (Ref:3771747)   #348
S griffin
Veteran

Well it's obvious Lines wanted to keep his TBL for 2018 when he could get a better driver in his seat
Old 4 Oct 2017, 11:54 (Ref:3771750)   #349
thlbtcc
Veteran

thlbtcc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
That Mr Bleach is a rumour I heard at the weekend but thought it way wide of the mark... even if BMR fold I would think one of the other teams would come in for the cars at the right price.
Upon reflection. Here's a stab.

JP and Adrian Flux sponsorship go elsewhere. The Subaru deal is dependant on a title sponsor. So BMR will be there with Subaru in 2018, provided they can find matching sponsorship funds from elsewhere.

If true, they'll lack Plato's marketing company to find sponsors, but they can at least say they are champions now.

Warren Scott https://twitter.com/DunlopBTCC/status/914125862206832641

[Ash winning the title] "It's good for us, for Subaru, for all of our sponsors and potentially for gaining more sponsors next year"

Also, I noticed Ash was keen to mention "Thanks to Subaru Adrian Flux Racing" in every interview at Brands, unlike previews interviews. Almost like a public job interview, showing he can provide good sponsorship coverage, reminiscent of when Jackson/Motorbase were trying to keep Airwaves backing.

Anyway, something like that.
Old 4 Oct 2017, 14:37 (Ref:3771780)   #350
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Link to tweets already discussed elsewhere in the forum (sorry, I forget where) that showed Gilham's helping hand that was turned down.
The thing is, the tweets will only have contained certain information, and won't have mentioned everything else that was part of the 'deal'.

From Lines' comments, it seems that he wanted to keep the TBL and look to carry it forward into 2018. It would suggest that the Gilham offer would have put that in jeopardy in some way?

The TBLs are pretty valuable nowadays with the consistent full grids, so Lines' public statement may be referring to being high and dry without one after this season if he didn't run the car himself?