Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 7 Sep 2017, 10:53 (Ref:3765162)   #651
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Sold for £90k plus premium.
Old 7 Sep 2017, 22:43 (Ref:3765278)   #652
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Sold for £90k plus premium.
Gosh... glad James got a good sale and glad it's onto another racer.

Although aiui he was expecting a bit more.

Any news on who has it? Pls not JD Classics, they've got 2 Rovers, the XJS etc already!

Last edited by chunterer; 10 Sep 2017 at 09:36.
Old 4 Oct 2017, 00:59 (Ref:3771645)   #653
FormuleA3
Rookie

Netherlands
Rinsumageast
FormuleA3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
More pictures Groep 1B Capri

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormuleA3 View Post
Hello Guy's.

Who helps ?

I own this car from 2003 and I am looking for historic information of the car.

There is my told that it is a ex Gordon Spice Car and the car has raced in the 1978 24 hrs of Spa.

I know an old owner of the car and he has it bought in 1988-1989 from a engineer who worked by Carly Motor's from Zoetermeer in the Netherlands.

He told me that it is a ex Belga car and it was from the team of Michel de Deyne with the drivers Frank de Caluwe and Teddy Pilete.

The car is from 1978, T hats for sure.

I am looking for information for the period 1978 -1988.

Who help's ?
For more pictures, Look at my facebook Album :

https://www.facebook.com/adri.vanbel...7339990&type=3

The pictures are of the car as I bought it in 2003.
Old 4 Oct 2017, 01:14 (Ref:3771653)   #654
FormuleA3
Rookie

Netherlands
Rinsumageast
More pictures Groep 1B Capri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
chunterer, it looks like it has a Ford plate riveted on the slam panel and a "cold" number on the inner sill. May be a road going car then converted dont you think so? Or a leichtbau bare shell fitted later with numbers to have it road registered…
I'm surprised by the huge part linking the rear sway bar to the axle.
FormuleA3, any other pic detailing the roll bar and the front suspension?
Look at my Facebook Album:

https://www.facebook.com/adri.vanbel...7339990&type=3
Attached Thumbnails
DSC04679.JPG   DSC04681.JPG   DSC04680.JPG  

DSC04682.JPG  
Old 5 Oct 2017, 07:27 (Ref:3771988)   #655
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Lot of work to do there. Good luck.
Old 5 Oct 2017, 08:41 (Ref:3772003)   #656
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Adri, its absolutely no gospel but I would go for a MkIII built in Germany Cologne plant in September of 1978 (dunno time of the day though). Probably she was born as a XL, engine 2.3 litre HC fitted with a 4 speed gearbox, cwp ratio 3.22 in Atlas, LHD. Trim color, red cloth, exterior difficult to say whether grey or beige or gold metal or nevada beige. If this is right (please James or Peter or others correct if I'm wrong) its probably a road going car next converted to a racing car as so many others. Hope this helps.
Old 5 Oct 2017, 19:44 (Ref:3772157)   #657
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Ok, I don't want to dispel any enthusiasm so I'm going with a period competition Grp 1 car but not CC. The rollcage looks standard Safety Devices from around 1990, not legal now btw. The vin plate is not a UK number according to various search sites. CC cars had a separate plate with the serial number stamped on it. I.e CC13 etc. Looks like a 40DFI carb. CC ran 48IDA.

So, probably not (Happy to be corrected) a CC car but a club racer of approx mid 80s. Worth more investigation methinks.
Old 6 Oct 2017, 08:08 (Ref:3772261)   #658
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Yep, Ford Germany stamped plate gives a LHD car (Lenk 1) and the battery tray looks to be located on the right of the car. English genuine 3.0 cars had the battery tray located on the left (english passenger side!). Anyway you can have authentic fun with which is IMHO the most important thing. How many CC cars retain their original body today?
Old 12 Oct 2017, 19:24 (Ref:3773907)   #659
jakeyt
Rookie

jakeyt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
CC13

Hi Guys
My name is Mark, I'm fortunate enough to be the technician now looking after the Belga/Gordon Spice liveried Gp 1 car CC13. We've only had it since the recent auction. I had a great chat with Dave Cook (what a gent!) and gleaned a bit of info. As we received the car with absolutely nothing in the way of set up sheets etc I would be grateful for any information that I can get on set up, ride heights etc etc etc that anyone has. We intend to run it as a Gp 1 car so there's not a great deal we can change but anything would be better than nothing. Cheers Mark
Old 13 Oct 2017, 08:03 (Ref:3773954)   #660
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Hi Mark, you lucky guy! When you say Group 1 may be you mean Grp 1,5 or Grp 1+ if your car retains some bits such like a big Weber 48 IDA carb'.
Sure you will receive great help from here. Did you weight the car with or without any ballast? Do you know if the car retains its original CC shell? You could also have a look to the homologation form # 5336, free download on the FIA website (consultation only).
Old 13 Oct 2017, 08:55 (Ref:3773960)   #661
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Gerard,

The car is the Spice chassis signed by the man himself. It's an ex 24hrs Spa car. Appeared at Goodwood this year and I believe now has an HTP although not certain, I know it was being applied for. I thought that it had all the necessary "mods" because it was prepared by David Margullies (sp?) who knows a thing or two about these Capris.

The best place to look is at the RAC Blue Book from 1980 or Appendix J of that year.
Old 13 Oct 2017, 10:25 (Ref:3773975)   #662
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Ha OK, Peter. Would be interesting to know what shows the first page of its HTP, category Tourism de production de série or CT30/GB (if I'm right your Rover is hap'd as CT35/GB?).
Old 13 Oct 2017, 11:16 (Ref:3773984)   #663
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I honestly don't know since its about 1500km away from me at the moment.
Old 13 Oct 2017, 18:47 (Ref:3774065)   #664
jakeyt
Rookie

Hi Gerard
Yep it's probably GP 1+ as it has the 48iIDA. We weighed it without fuel and a seat but with all other fluids and it came out at 898kgs. It was involved in a big accident in 2016 so there are a great deal of new panels etc I suppose it's a bit like "Trigger's old broom" but there's a lot of original features. The Sotheby's website has a number of very good recent pictures.
Old 14 Oct 2017, 08:30 (Ref:3774151)   #665
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
898 kilos, Mark, you just wrecked my weekend with this feature!
I dont remember the weight scale for the Grp 1,5, but a MkIII appendix should be around 1061 kg, impossible to achieve if you start with a road going car and keep its metal panels (my MkII is around 1073 and could be 1051). Had a look to the auctioneer's site but they didn't show the suspension or brakes details. What a nice car you got !
Old 14 Oct 2017, 16:26 (Ref:3774190)   #666
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Mark, you asked an interesting question about ride heights. Someone here worked hard to have many images of the Tricentrol championship. I've been surprised to see that in period they use to have then rear end rather high compare to what we do now. Wo's right i dunno though… You'll see that the negative camber used was rather high value too but may be we can see there the tires influence.
Old 14 Oct 2017, 19:00 (Ref:3774201)   #667
jakeyt
Rookie

The pics with the high rear ride height may have been prior to what I think was a re-design of the single rear leaf that gave it a shaped rear part that lowers the car, or even before adjustable anti-roll bars were fitted.
Old 7 Dec 2017, 03:50 (Ref:3785575)   #668
FormuleA3
Rookie

Netherlands
Rinsumageast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Adri, its absolutely no gospel but I would go for a MkIII built in Germany Cologne plant in September of 1978 (dunno time of the day though). Probably she was born as a XL, engine 2.3 litre HC fitted with a 4 speed gearbox, cwp ratio 3.22 in Atlas, LHD. Trim color, red cloth, exterior difficult to say whether grey or beige or gold metal or nevada beige. If this is right (please James or Peter or others correct if I'm wrong) its probably a road going car next converted to a racing car as so many others. Hope this helps.
Gerard, That"s what on the vinplate is. Bud that"s not correct. The car is as a damaged car in oktober 1978 imported in the Netherlands and possible is then this vinplate rivitted.
Old 7 Dec 2017, 04:02 (Ref:3785576)   #669
FormuleA3
Rookie

Netherlands
Rinsumageast
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormuleA3 View Post
That"s what on the vinplate is. Bud that"s not correct. The car is as a damaged car in oktober 1978 imported in the Netherlands and possible is then this vinplate rivitted.
Old 7 Dec 2017, 04:17 (Ref:3785577)   #670
FormuleA3
Rookie

Netherlands
Rinsumageast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Ok, I don't want to dispel any enthusiasm so I'm going with a period competition Grp 1 car but not CC. The rollcage looks standard Safety Devices from around 1990, not legal now btw. The vin plate is not a UK number according to various search sites. CC cars had a separate plate with the serial number stamped on it. I.e CC13 etc. Looks like a 40DFI carb. CC ran 48IDA.

So, probably not (Happy to be corrected) a CC car but a club racer of approx mid 80s. Worth more investigation methinks.
Peter, That"s what on the vinplate is. Bud that"s not correct. The car is as a damaged car in oktober 1978 imported in the Netherlands and possible is then this vinplate rivitted.
Plus,
The engine is not the orginal engine. When I bought the car there was a 2.9 V6 with it and i have replace it for an 3.0 Essex as homologated from grp 1. That's the engine on the pictures.

Driver/owner Doris de Munck has in the late 80's with the car races in grp 1 driven.
I am looking for information before Doris.
Doris drove the car in the Netherlands and in Belgie. As far as I know.
Old 7 Dec 2017, 18:57 (Ref:3785700)   #671
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
You can have it back to Grp1 or Grp1,5 full features, engine and suspensions. One figure hard to achieve is the weight, CC cars were really light. If you go for Grp1 appendix you are allowed to race it at 1062 kilos. Others will tell you what is the weight scale used in period for a Capri Grp 1,5 but I guess it was much lighter.
Old 8 May 2018, 06:06 (Ref:3820741)   #672
zakspeed65
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
zakspeed65 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is my next project! Been working on getting it for a while, won't be as quick as the Zakspeed but still a very special car!
Thoughts welcome,
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1375.JPG   IMG_1369.JPG   IMG_1368.JPG  

IMG_1376.JPG   IMG_1379.JPG   IMG_1378.JPG  

Old 8 May 2018, 06:43 (Ref:3820744)   #673
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Lucky you! Did you weight it? The weight engine in will tell you a lot. Obviously Essex engine with racing exhaust manifold. What is this carb? Not a Holley, probably a Weber but not the homologated 40 DFI 5 or DFAV or IDA. Do you know the type? The body looks genuine, the hole in the bulkhead was done to allow the airbox to breathe freely. What type of suspensions and brakes? The rocker cover sticker is a collector! Yes you will have fun with, no doubt about that!
Old 8 May 2018, 07:30 (Ref:3820750)   #674
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Wow, where did you find that?!

Which chasdis no. Is it?
Old 8 May 2018, 08:31 (Ref:3820758)   #675
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Gerard. That's a 40 dfi if I'm not mistaken. The FIA sits longitudinally on a special manifold.

Tags
andy rouse, belga, belgian touring cars, broadspeed, capri mk3, cc motorsport, cc racing development, chris craft, dave cook, equipe esso, gordon spice, group 1, group 1 capri, group 1.5, jeff allam, jonathan buncombe, martin brothers, neil brown, pete clark, spa 24 hours, swindon engines, tricentrol, vince woodman