Old 24 Oct 2017, 18:27 (Ref:3776204)   #701
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Mr Wehrlein should be smoking Mr Ericsson this year, easily if you believe the hype, but it’s just not happening...

Mr Hartley come on down..
I have to say, i don't think Ericsson is anywhere near as bad as he is more often than not portrayed, granted he makes the odd silly mistake but his speed isn't in doubt, at no point has he been absolutely destroyed by his team mates, be it Kobayashi, Nasr or Wehrlein.
Old 24 Oct 2017, 18:52 (Ref:3776213)   #702
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cds_uk View Post
I have to say, i don't think Ericsson is anywhere near as bad as he is more often than not portrayed, granted he makes the odd silly mistake but his speed isn't in doubt, at no point has he been absolutely destroyed by his team mates, be it Kobayashi, Nasr or Wehrlein.
I agree. If he could just be more consistent? Seems to go to sleep during races.
Old 25 Oct 2017, 12:19 (Ref:3776364)   #703
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Yes, he doesn't seem to be exploiting his talent to the full. I saw him in FBMW and F3 and he looked very impressive. GP2 maybe not so much, but still good enough. F1 he has on occasion looked good, but only on occasion
Old 25 Oct 2017, 13:56 (Ref:3776388)   #704
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Helmut Marko has said Daniil Kvyat won't be back in F1 for them
Old 25 Oct 2017, 21:19 (Ref:3776484)   #705
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nielsen View Post
Helmut Marko has said Daniil Kvyat won't be back in F1 for them
Indeed, not only that but Gasly and Hartley will def finish the season.

Clearly the team wants to give these two the opportunity to secure the seats for next year above anyone else.
Old 26 Oct 2017, 06:55 (Ref:3776533)   #706
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
I heard a rumour a few days ago that FOM is wanting to totally scrap Friday's for the 2018 season onwards. I didn't believe it was a story as Liberty Media were not too long ago talking of a "three day festival" for each event to attract more customers. Seems as though the story is in fact true. FOM wants to totally dump Friday's from race weekends.

Liberty Media/FOM have spoken to the hosts of the first race of the season (Australia) and the Australian GP Corp have rejected the idea.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vic...815-1508999946
Old 26 Oct 2017, 10:46 (Ref:3776568)   #707
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
We don't need more GPs. Too many have been there that have not warranted being on there. Quality over quanity
Old 26 Oct 2017, 22:48 (Ref:3776689)   #708
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
As an Aussie F1-goer, Melbourne love to make the GP a four day event, so fair to say that the idea of dropping to two days wouldn't have been taken so well.
Old 27 Oct 2017, 07:48 (Ref:3776721)   #709
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

I read it as more about reformatting the Friday, not dropping it.
Perhaps 2 races per weekend with practice and qualy all on Friday, or Saturday morning. Then race 1 Saturday afty and Sunday as usual.
Old 27 Oct 2017, 08:43 (Ref:3776730)   #710
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Perhaps 2 races per weekend with practice and qualy all on Friday, or Saturday morning. Then race 1 Saturday afty and Sunday as usual.
I can assure you it's to dump the Friday FP1 and FP2 on track action from the schedule. Not reformatting it. Saturday to have shorter (1 hr each) FP1 and FP2 sessions followed by qualifying, apparently.

Copy pasted the article below as some cannot access it.
Quote:

Melbourne F1 Grand Prix 2018: Chiefs resist push to slash Friday from event
PETER ROLFE, sports affairs reporter, Herald Sun
October 26, 2017 12:00am

MELBOURNE grand prix chiefs have vowed to resist a push to slash the Formula One offering at the Albert Park event.

Formula One management is considering dumping fan-friendly Friday practice, which allows spectators to see stars such as Daniel Ricciardo for a fraction of the race day cost.

F1 motorsport boss Ross Brawn floated the idea in an investor meeting at the weekend, with the idea that scrapping Friday action could help add more races to the global calendar.

Melbourne has one of only a few grands prix that run over four days.

Such a move could dilute the appeal of Melbourne’s event which this year cost taxpayers more than $51 million.

But Australian Grand Prix chief executive Andrew Westacott said it was “highly *unlikely” our event would be affected.

“It’s absolutely not a consideration for us because we’re on sale for Friday, we’re proceeding as normal and I know a lot of other promoters are as well,” he said.

“It’s not happening any time on our watch.”

Earybird adult general admission tickets to Friday of next year’s event were on Wednesday advertised for $35 online, plus booking fees.

The same tickets to Sunday’s race were $79.

peter.rolfe@news.com.au

Old 27 Oct 2017, 08:54 (Ref:3776732)   #711
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
I can assure you it's to dump the Friday FP1 and FP2 on track action from the schedule. Not reformatting it. Saturday to have shorter (1 hr each) FP1 and FP2 sessions followed by qualifying, apparently.
The actual proposal seems to be somewhere in between according to Ross Brawn.

The option to remove Friday running for F1 cars is under consideration, whilst at the same time expanding the whole package to be a four-day event.
Old 27 Oct 2017, 12:31 (Ref:3776762)   #712
S griffin
Veteran

I'd rather they added more support races. That would be more worth what you pay
Old 28 Oct 2017, 10:16 (Ref:3776983)   #713
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I'd rather they added more support races. That would be more worth what you pay
Australia already does, even having support races on Sunday which doesn’t seem to happen everywhere in the world...

The local press keep saying we were pioneers at having a full schedule..
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 28 Oct 2017, 10:33 (Ref:3776988)   #714
S griffin
Veteran

Well the Aussies love their motorsport among other things, so it's no surprise they insist on turning into a proper festival of motorsport
Old 29 Oct 2017, 03:53 (Ref:3777152)   #715
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Interesting rumour in the Mexico paddock regarding Ricciardo. Apparently, a few months back, he was wanting to end his contract with RBR. But was refused by RBR. Ricciardo wanted out for 2018.

Would be interesting to find out what DR's plans were. Where was he planning to go to? It would have been about the same time as Raikkonen and Bottas' contract negotiations. But apart from a seat at Ferrari or Mercedes, there were no other "good" seats available. I do remember Renault wanting DR as part of the deal for the McLaren supply. But did he want to leave RBR for Renault? Would have been a massive gamble if so.
Old 29 Oct 2017, 04:20 (Ref:3777155)   #716
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Ricciardo wanted out for 2018.
Be the reason why Hartley went to Torro Rosso,if Riccardo goes 2019 it gives Red Bull an experienced driver option to slot in alongside Verstappen.
Old 29 Oct 2017, 04:45 (Ref:3777157)   #717
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post
Be the reason why Hartley went to Torro Rosso,if Riccardo goes 2019 it gives Red Bull an experienced driver option to slot in alongside Verstappen.
Verstappen and Hartley at RBR in 2019?? Not, going, to, happen. No way.

Verstappen and Sainz at RBR in 2019? Most probably.

So if Sainz has to go back to RBR (he's RBR contacted and only on loan to Renault), who will take his place at Renault??

Ricciardo to drive for the factory Renault team in 2019!
Old 29 Oct 2017, 07:46 (Ref:3777167)   #718
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
Verstappen and Hartley at RBR in 2019?? Not, going, to, happen. No way.

Verstappen and Sainz at RBR in 2019? Most probably.

So if Sainz has to go back to RBR (he's RBR contacted and only on loan to Renault), who will take his place at Renault??

Ricciardo to drive for the factory Renault team in 2019!
"Australian racing driver to Renault" rumour? That sounds familiar!
Old 29 Oct 2017, 08:43 (Ref:3777172)   #719
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
"Australian racing driver to Renault" rumour? That sounds familiar!
😀
Old 2 Nov 2017, 22:08 (Ref:3778248)   #720
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ericsson and Leclerc at Sauber then?
I can never remember if Blick are reliable or not...
http://www.planetf1.com/news/sauber-...r-2018-report/
Old 3 Nov 2017, 02:18 (Ref:3778279)   #721
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Looks to be the case, although Motorsport.com are reporting Ferrari are still trying to shoehorn GIO into a Sauber or Haas...
Old 3 Nov 2017, 05:47 (Ref:3778295)   #722
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!

Quote:
Ferrari could quit Formula One after 2020 if the sport's new owners take it in a direction contrary to the Italian sportscar maker's interests, chairman Sergio Marchionne said on Thursday......http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/for...archionne.html

In my life time it must be about the 50th time they have threatened to quit F1..
Old 3 Nov 2017, 08:12 (Ref:3778308)   #723
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post
In my life time it must be about the 50th time they have threatened to quit F1..
How many times in the past has it come with a claim that an alternative series would be created?

'When asked how he would feel about being the chief who took Ferrari out of F1, Marchionne said: “Like a million bucks, because I’d be working on an alternative strategy to try and replace it. A more rational one, too.”'
Old 3 Nov 2017, 11:53 (Ref:3778334)   #724
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
The Formula Teddy out the Pram sub-forum is still on here, ready to be revived.

The expected threats, posturing & politicising by the big teams in order to sway any future decisions for their own benefit will likely carry on until for a while. Its not unexpected. I dont think people should take the threats too seriously. Eventually some kind of compromise will be reached in which Ferrari maintain their head honcho status, and the racing will go on.
Old 3 Nov 2017, 12:20 (Ref:3778336)   #725
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
It all seems to be pretty standard fare - and if you are being honest about situations then in initial negotiations then nothing should be ruled out of the possible.

A similar thing is seen in many other fields - where the totally unthinkable is put forward as a possible, and then everyone draws back from that position to a 'middle ground'. If Ferrari were to say the opposite (that they have no intention to ever leave F1), then any complaints they had over proposals could be comfortably ignored.

At least when Renault, Mercedes, Honda etc. say they'd consider withdrawing, it does seem like a possibility.