Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 28 Oct 2017, 01:07 (Ref:3776911)   #26
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
Yeah, in the heyday of Fathers Day they did. Like I said, hard to judge from camera angles provided, but car parking on the hill at Turn 2/3/4 is pretty vacant.
cheers.
Old 28 Oct 2017, 07:11 (Ref:3776956)   #27
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
Obviously its not easy to judge from streaming, but the crowds looked to have stayed away in droves...
Sunday is the main day, always has been
Old 29 Oct 2017, 08:25 (Ref:3777170)   #28
AnEmmoFan
Rookie

AnEmmoFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was there on the Saturday, only ARDC members could park near turns 2-4. Others parked near adjacent to the main straight. I thought it was a reasonable crowd for a Saturday. Behind the pits seemed very busy. Good thing that the 6 hour race was cancelled. Interesting and varied program of events.
Old 29 Oct 2017, 09:23 (Ref:3777179)   #29
old fart
Racer

Australia
a racetrack -wish it was Mt Panorama.
old fart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridold fart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Overall the weekend was a great success- far more entertaining than the last couple of years and a good Saturday crowd spread around the track.Today saw a larger crowd considering the 37c temperature and some sensational dices right through the various fields. Even though the main Gardner circuit was used we saw Mustang v Mini v Lotus Cortina racelong battles with some excellent safe racing.
The various displays were well patronised and patrons appeared to enjoy the freedom of access to the main pit and paddock areas.
A definite step up from previous events and the change of date from Fathers Day seemed to be a great innovation.
Old 30 Oct 2017, 03:49 (Ref:3777351)   #30
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
David Towe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bloody hell it was hot there. The Saturday crowd was quite good but Sunday was a disappointment for me. They tried a new paddock set up with all the display cars behind the garages which made for a great sight even though our trailers were consigned to the boon docks. They've got ideas again to reinvigorate the meeting and I'm sure it will get better again next year.
From the driver's seat, it wasn't a good weekend for me. I struggled with a lack of grip all weekend and only managed 6th in the Group A race and 7th in the combined races except the last race where I suffered a DNF with another lock up so bad it went through to the belts. The meeting was pretty well organised again and I appreciate what all the marshalls and flaggies did for us all in the heat there.
Old 30 Oct 2017, 03:58 (Ref:3777352)   #31
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I notice that the new AMRS (Nationals lite) is running at Eastern Creek last Sunday in October next year so the date is on the move again.Maybe back to Fathers Day now Supercars has moved to start of August.
Excellent meeting.The Sports Sedans were a great addition with a strong field.
The crowd is about what can be expected in the non TCM post novelty factor years.
Old 30 Oct 2017, 05:42 (Ref:3777361)   #32
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
Watched it on tv/net feed
Had my fill of XU1s to last a while
coverage was good for amateur adv/free coverage
Commentary could of been better
Had hoped they would be able to show some of the static displays and cars in carpark/paddock areas, maybe a word with some of the heros there. Could be that MCM have exclusivity show they can show a highlights package on commercial tv.
All in all a good first effort, better than no coverage.
Old 30 Oct 2017, 07:46 (Ref:3777394)   #33
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
The news I was told is that the meeting is definitely not on the same weekend next year and not a definite to go back to Father's Day, stay tuned for more info as it gets released.
This year we had no trailers behind the garages and the static displays that would normally have been behind the grandstand were where the trailers would normally have been. I'm not sure of whether or not I like that because the food and merchandise vendors out there had very little foot traffic.
It has some problems, but the racing is good and the displays were great with some fantastic vehicles on display, I'm sure they'll fine tune it and get it back on track, so to speak.
Old 31 Oct 2017, 21:38 (Ref:3777833)   #34
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Towe View Post
Bloody hell it was hot there. The Saturday crowd was quite good but Sunday was a disappointment for me. They tried a new paddock set up with all the display cars behind the garages which made for a great sight even though our trailers were consigned to the boon docks. They've got ideas again to reinvigorate the meeting and I'm sure it will get better again next year.
From the driver's seat, it wasn't a good weekend for me. I struggled with a lack of grip all weekend and only managed 6th in the Group A race and 7th in the combined races except the last race where I suffered a DNF with another lock up so bad it went through to the belts. The meeting was pretty well organised again and I appreciate what all the marshalls and flaggies did for us all in the heat there.
Onya David...the marshals and flaggies mostly do it for the love of the sport, but it is nice when drivers and (cough!) the organisers express their appreciation...

I felt sorry for people in black cars in the heat...did they ever make White JPS specials??
Old 31 Oct 2017, 23:15 (Ref:3777851)   #35
old fart
Racer

Australia
a racetrack -wish it was Mt Panorama.
old fart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridold fart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by 275 GTB-4 View Post
Onya David...the marshals and flaggies mostly do it for the love of the sport, but it is nice when drivers and (cough!) the organisers express their appreciation...

I felt sorry for people in black cars in the heat...did they ever make White JPS specials??
Being a long term ARDC volunteer official I can vouch for the fact that the club looks after us very well indeed and on Sunday the emphasis was on ensuring hydration and sun protection.

The biggest problem we faced was the usual one in that we are first in and last out thus not having time to visit the various displays nor do the wander around the paddock like the spectators were able to do.

David you haven't had too much good luck over the last couple of years so maybe you need to change your avatar !!
Old 1 Nov 2017, 09:31 (Ref:3777937)   #36
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hadn't been to MCM for a few years, and on first glance last weekend it did feel a little light on spectator wise compared to my previous visit, but on reflection it really wasn't a bad crowd. The grandstand seemed pretty populated and I'm guessing a lot of people sat there all day rather than brave the heat walking around

A good idea next year, if they are going to keep all the display cars in the pits, might be to move the merchandise & memorabilia section to the same area. That probably suffered a little being outside the track on it's own, same with the food vans. I remember the first Tasman Revival in 2006 had the merchandise & memorabilia section in the paddock area and it was a great hit....well I spent a lot of money in there anyway...

It seemed like more of a race meeting with less 'sideshows' this year other than static displays, which is good & bad depending on what way you look at it. If they can't get TCM back ever, hopefully they can get some 'guest' categories back like Central Muscle Cars from NZ or F5000 as in the past. The Sports Sedans were great and hopefully they stay as a regular with Group N and Group C/A

An idea i'd love to see, and it obviously needs the approval of the car owners and i've no idea how possible this idea is to implement, but i'd love to see a feature event, at say about 3pm on the Sunday afternoon. Something like a 40min race for Group C/A Heritage Touring Cars, where the car owners partner with another driver and we have a Goodwood style driver change after 20mins.

You could call it the "Bathurst Celebration Race" or something, have the pre-race grid extravaganza they trialled a few years back before this feature event etc.... Driver pairings could be along the lines of say David Towe with Tony Longhurst in the JPS M3, Terry Lawler & Steve Johnson in the Mustang, Ben Grice in the STP GpC Commodore etc etc.. you get the idea. (I'd suggest it with Group N cars, but i'm assuming the owners here would be less likely to run them for that long in one race)
Old 1 Nov 2017, 09:52 (Ref:3777946)   #37
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Agreed on the Goodwood-esque ideas.

It's unfortunate in some ways, that the event couldn't be held at Oran Park, for instance, or any other place with significant history.
Old 1 Nov 2017, 22:23 (Ref:3778070)   #38
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Agreed on the Goodwood-esque ideas.

It's unfortunate in some ways, that the event couldn't be held at Oran Park, for instance, or any other place with significant history.
What would stop the ARDC promoting the event at Sandown for instance?
Old 2 Nov 2017, 02:03 (Ref:3778094)   #39
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
Excellent meeting.The Sports Sedans were a great addition with a strong field.
The crowd is about what can be expected in the non TCM post novelty factor years.
I would've come just for the Sports Sedan field-hearing about that at late notice and me being having to work that weekend put a spanner in that idea.
Old 2 Nov 2017, 03:44 (Ref:3778117)   #40
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69 View Post
I hadn't been to MCM for a few years, and on first glance last weekend it did feel a little light on spectator wise compared to my previous visit, but on reflection it really wasn't a bad crowd. The grandstand seemed pretty populated and I'm guessing a lot of people sat there all day rather than brave the heat walking around

A good idea next year, if they are going to keep all the display cars in the pits, might be to move the merchandise & memorabilia section to the same area. That probably suffered a little being outside the track on it's own, same with the food vans. I remember the first Tasman Revival in 2006 had the merchandise & memorabilia section in the paddock area and it was a great hit....well I spent a lot of money in there anyway...

It seemed like more of a race meeting with less 'sideshows' this year other than static displays, which is good & bad depending on what way you look at it. If they can't get TCM back ever, hopefully they can get some 'guest' categories back like Central Muscle Cars from NZ or F5000 as in the past. The Sports Sedans were great and hopefully they stay as a regular with Group N and Group C/A

An idea i'd love to see, and it obviously needs the approval of the car owners and i've no idea how possible this idea is to implement, but i'd love to see a feature event, at say about 3pm on the Sunday afternoon. Something like a 40min race for Group C/A Heritage Touring Cars, where the car owners partner with another driver and we have a Goodwood style driver change after 20mins.

You could call it the "Bathurst Celebration Race" or something, have the pre-race grid extravaganza they trialled a few years back before this feature event etc.... Driver pairings could be along the lines of say David Towe with Tony Longhurst in the JPS M3, Terry Lawler & Steve Johnson in the Mustang, Ben Grice in the STP GpC Commodore etc etc.. you get the idea. (I'd suggest it with Group N cars, but i'm assuming the owners here would be less likely to run them for that long in one race)
The ARDC actually tried to organise this kind of Pro Am race for Heritage Touring Cars at the historic meeting in June but there was no interest from any of the co- drivers approached.As for the longer race for these cars it was actually run at the 2015 MCM although in the end shortened from 25 to 15 laps and even at that turned pretty processional.
Old 2 Nov 2017, 03:59 (Ref:3778119)   #41
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I find it surprising given how many of the past and present stars are hopping into them at every other opportunity.
Old 2 Nov 2017, 22:21 (Ref:3778251)   #42
peterelise
Racer

peterelise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm also surprised that pro drivers or former pro drivers weren't interested in a pro/am race. For the group C cars I guess the original drivers are getting on but Terry Shiel ran his old (but newly restored) RX7 at race pace in the master blast and I bet he'd be happy to race it if given a chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 22 Nov 2017, 07:54 (Ref:3782138)   #43
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by 275 GTB-4 View Post

Actually there was one, my old 325 Group A that was originally run by JPS and driven by Longhurst and is now in France after several years domiciled in NZ.
Attached Thumbnails
Group A 323.jpg  
Old 22 Nov 2017, 07:59 (Ref:3782139)   #44
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by old fart View Post

David you haven't had too much good luck over the last couple of years so maybe you need to change your avatar !!
I don't think I'd say I haven't had much luck in the last few years, I did take third outright last year and that was the third time I've done it in the last 7 years. One of those should have been second if a certain Torana had been sent home like it should have been. Tyre troubles caused by a lack of budget this year meant the car had no grip and you can't make up for being under powered without any grip as well.
Old 22 Nov 2017, 08:05 (Ref:3782140)   #45
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69 View Post

There were plans for that very concept but pro drivers won't pay for the ride and as I pay the bills, I'm the only one driving it. Can you imagine a pro signing a contract agreeing to pay several hundred thousand dollars if they were unlucky enough to write off the car whether it was their fault or not?
I love my car and am totally a Jum fan but I'm sorry even the great man himself is not driving my car without my investment being completely covered.
Old 22 Nov 2017, 10:03 (Ref:3782161)   #46
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
There were plans for that very concept but pro drivers won't pay for the ride and as I pay the bills, I'm the only one driving it. Can you imagine a pro signing a contract agreeing to pay several hundred thousand dollars if they were unlucky enough to write off the car whether it was their fault or not?
I love my car and am totally a Jum fan but I'm sorry even the great man himself is not driving my car without my investment being completely covered.
Out of interest David do you know how it works in the UK with the Goodwood Revival?
Old 23 Nov 2017, 06:19 (Ref:3782368)   #47
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
Out of interest David do you know how it works in the UK with the Goodwood Revival?
Sorry, I can't shed any light on that.
Old 28 Nov 2017, 23:20 (Ref:3783890)   #48
Terry S
Racer

Terry S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So it appears the Muscle Car Masters is moving to June in 2018.

They seem to be moving it around a lot.....
Old 29 Nov 2017, 00:30 (Ref:3783900)   #49
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
They've been trying to revive it in the face of other big meetings that got moved to only a few weeks either side of it and have a new plan for next year and then back to it's original date on Father's Day. I think it will be good for the meeting.
Old 30 Nov 2017, 07:59 (Ref:3784249)   #50
Terry S
Racer

Terry S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
They've been trying to revive it in the face of other big meetings that got moved to only a few weeks either side of it and have a new plan for next year and then back to it's original date on Father's Day. I think it will be good for the meeting.
So how does moving it around so much help? I am confused!