Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 22 Dec 2017, 18:53 (Ref:3788735)   #5326
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
AoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by trickyd View Post
Then, if they wanted to, McLaren/Porsche/Mercedes/Aston Martin/Ferrari can race a car based on their hybrid hypercar. They could be allowed to make it longer and wider up to a limit, add a wing/diffuser and some cooling/aero ducts and cutaways.
Considering the amount teeth pulling it took just to get the three road cars tested side-by-side-by-side, I suspect the holy trinity wouldn't participate. And Merc's money is tied up elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickyd View Post
In an ideal world these two classes would then mix it at the front in a similar way that you had the Joest Porsche and Courage's mixing it with the works GT1 cars in the mid to late 90's. Then at least when the manufacturers take their toys away after a year or two you'd have a top class left.
Except that was never the intention. GT1 was never supposed to compete with the prototypes, but LMP675 was supposed to compete for wins overall. ACO doesn't have a great history with this bit.

Last edited by AoB Special Stage; 22 Dec 2017 at 18:58.
Old 22 Dec 2017, 19:17 (Ref:3788745)   #5327
TzeiTzei
Veteran

Finland
TzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Styling cues or road car look = BoP. There is no way around it.
Old 22 Dec 2017, 20:17 (Ref:3788749)   #5328
TRuss
Veteran

TRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It doesn't matter what they look like, there will probably be a BoP/EoT. Either that or it will basically be a spec series. I'll take the former.
Old 23 Dec 2017, 05:00 (Ref:3788800)   #5329
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
They don't have to bop it. Just stick with the fuel flow and set up a rule of dimensions and all that. The rear diffuser is the same already, and the front wing/splitter is the most popular area of gains to be made. The rest of the current cars look pretty close to each other so maybe that is the area that isn't of too much importance.
Old 23 Dec 2017, 07:22 (Ref:3788803)   #5330
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TzeiTzei View Post
Styling cues or road car look = BoP. There is no way around it.
To an extent. I don't think they really want more than NASCAR style aero matching though. Which is appealing to the manufacturers because they don't have to explain why 50% of their budget is for hidden aero widgets that will never be used on a road car but sucks for people like me.
Old 23 Dec 2017, 17:10 (Ref:3788861)   #5331
TRuss
Veteran

TRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Like I mentioned earlier, we don't know what they want. We don't even know if if they know, what they want. All of this speculation is pointless.
Old 24 Dec 2017, 06:32 (Ref:3788949)   #5332
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
I just hope it's not bop or anything dealing with more spec parts than currently used.
Old 24 Dec 2017, 23:08 (Ref:3789080)   #5333
TRuss
Veteran

I imagine most all of us do. That hardly ever seems to matter though.
Old 28 Dec 2017, 12:27 (Ref:3789437)   #5334
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A very good renderer Marco Van Overbeeke has set to work on the latest and greatest hypercars, like Porsche 918 Spyder, Mercedes-AMG Project One, Koenigsegg Agera RS, Ferrari FXX-K EVO, Aston Martin Valkyrie and the McLaren Senna to imagine the future scene of the ACO GTP/GT1.

https://drivetribe.com/p/bAW7cF5CQV-...Tr6FSgRV0g4Sow
Old 28 Dec 2017, 17:37 (Ref:3789478)   #5335
YZFrider
Racer

YZFrider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridYZFrider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That article got my neurons firing...factory teams enter hypercars and privateers with purpose-built prototype cars. like now albiet upgraded to meet 2020 rules/regs with optional road car styling cues
Old 28 Dec 2017, 20:29 (Ref:3789503)   #5336
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafan37 View Post
A very good renderer Marco Van Overbeeke has set to work on the latest and greatest hypercars, like Porsche 918 Spyder, Mercedes-AMG Project One, Koenigsegg Agera RS, Ferrari FXX-K EVO, Aston Martin Valkyrie and the McLaren Senna to imagine the future scene of the ACO GTP/GT1.

https://drivetribe.com/p/bAW7cF5CQV-...Tr6FSgRV0g4Sow
Not terribly informative. Side views alone give very little.
Old 29 Dec 2017, 17:05 (Ref:3789628)   #5337
TRuss
Veteran

They look like dumb downed versions of the road cars. As exotic as the road cars are, I'd like for racing cars to be that much more exotic. Something that isn't approachable to somebody just because they happen to be rich. A racing car at this level should make any road going car look less than in any and all criteria. And that's the problem. Most modern road cars, especially supercars, hypercars, heavily tuned/modified cars making 1,000, 2,000+HP and looking amazing while doing it have taken the luster away from all racing cars, which are overly homogenized and have been anti-innovation, anti-speed and making the same lap times for the past nearly 25 years.
Old 3 Jan 2018, 18:23 (Ref:3790500)   #5338
TRuss
Veteran

After looking at some photos of the Porsche 961 I've softened my stance on the drive tribe renders. I still think that they looked dumbed down by comparison to the road cars that they are based on. The aero on the road cars is so much more clever than the tacked on wings and things in the renderings. I say keep the road car's stock active aerodynamics with maybe a minimal amount of small flicks and whatever cutouts are needed for the additional cooling. Keep them looking like nothing more than a track prepped road car (ala the 961) lowered with beefy race rubber and I'm in.
Old 4 Jan 2018, 08:29 (Ref:3790575)   #5339
TF110
Veteran

United States
I don't like any of those renders much. They look just like the road cars with some paint job and a fin. Little too close to GTE, which imo looks better with the big tires and wide fenders.
Old 9 Jan 2018, 02:53 (Ref:3791471)   #5340
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I do not know if this theme fits into this thread but I found it important to mention.

Adrian Newey received an offer from an LMP1 team in 2014. He said:"That was very interesting in principle; to be involved in a team with the aim of winning Le Mans remains on my bucket list. But the team is based in Germany and that bit didn't appeal"
Who was that Team? Porsche?

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/124...rned-them-down
Old 9 Jan 2018, 03:23 (Ref:3791475)   #5341
TF110
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafan37 View Post
I do not know if this theme fits into this thread but I found it important to mention.

Adrian Newey received an offer from an LMP1 team in 2014. He said:"That was very interesting in principle; to be involved in a team with the aim of winning Le Mans remains on my bucket list. But the team is based in Germany and that bit didn't appeal"
Who was that Team? Porsche?

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/124...rned-them-down
Toyota Porsche Audi all based in Germany, so he didn't give anything away there
Old 9 Jan 2018, 03:33 (Ref:3791478)   #5342
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Toyota Porsche Audi all based in Germany, so he didn't give anything away there
Yes, I already know that the 3 factory equipment of LMP1 are based in Germany, but I remember some visit of Newey to the Porsche Box in some race, maybe it was just to say hello to Mark Weber or maybe not, I do not know.
Old 9 Jan 2018, 14:39 (Ref:3791548)   #5343
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Wouldn't surprise me. I wonder what he's doing now though, I haven't really heard much from him recently.
Old 9 Jan 2018, 16:15 (Ref:3791564)   #5344
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Isn’t Bykolles also German based?
Old 9 Jan 2018, 16:26 (Ref:3791566)   #5345
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
Isn’t Bykolles also German based?

well, must to admit that kolles in 2016 introduced a lot of new aero parts for the CLM.
Guess it wasn't toyota.... Newey doesn't look like a guy captivated by low budget programs
Old 10 Jan 2018, 15:57 (Ref:3791746)   #5346
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
2018 Tech regs have come out (dated today on FIA site)

Hybrid
https://www.fia.com/file/64996/downl...token=A4ImrviJ

Non-Hybrid
https://www.fia.com/file/64997/downl...token=BYfJS47h

LMP2
https://www.fia.com/file/64998/downl...token=qpt8I7OJ
Old 10 Jan 2018, 18:33 (Ref:3791784)   #5347
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Pardon my ignorance (I haven't read though the PDF files), but are there any major changes aside from what we already know about LMP2 jokers/BOP options?
Old 10 Jan 2018, 22:32 (Ref:3791856)   #5348
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Just reading through the yellow parts (additions I assume?), what interest me is the following:
Hybrid
- Strong, and quite comical clarification of sprung weight:
Quote:
"Will be considered as sprung parts of the car in contact with the external air stream, all parts that will be wet if the complete car would be plunged into a liquid bath."
- Added point about Ancillaries above 50V. What could it be that Toyota added that would require this to be part of the legislation?
- Minimum weight is 875kg + 3kg of camera installation.
- 15" maximum diameter for Carbon brake discs.
- Adding the word "Power Circuit" a whole bunch of times.
- 35.2kg of petrol per stint is allowed for Hybrid (52.9kg for non-hybrid)

Non-hybrid
- Strong, and quite comical clarification of sprung weight:
Quote:
"Will be considered as sprung parts of the car in contact with the external air stream, all parts that will be wet if the complete car would be plunged into a liquid bath."
- Rearwing endplate connecting to the bodywork might be allowed for non-hybrids, but not hybrids. This section features for non-hybrids, not for hybrids:
Quote:
"Some exceptions are tolerated for one possible reinforcement of the rear wing endplates per side of the car."
- Torque metering is compulsory for all non-hybrids cars. It must be supplied by engine manufacture with guidance to the chassis manufacture for installation.
- Porsche's side mirrors inside the fenders are effectively banned for non-hybrids:
Quote:
"Except the side window of the car and the driver’s helmet visor, there should be no structure, even transparent, between the eyes of the driver and the mirror reflective glass."
LMP2
- Regarding disconnecting the Transmission in order to push the car the following is added:
Quote:
f a pneumatic system is used (with internal pressure greater than 10 bar), a pressurized air bottle (exclusively fitted outside the cockpit) of a maximum weight of 0.5 kg is allowed.
It is the duty of the constructor to demonstrate that this system is of safe construction
Old 11 Jan 2018, 00:24 (Ref:3791871)   #5349
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
My reading is not that attached rear end plates are not being allowed for either class, as that's almost impossible to police without F1 levels of restrictiveness, but rather they're allowing for privateer cars having less advanced structural engineering so they can add a separate support that doesn't follow all the usual bodywork rules.
Old 12 Jan 2018, 10:23 (Ref:3792239)   #5350
tomerswayler
Racer

tomerswayler should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtomerswayler should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtomerswayler should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
The changes mentioned for the fuel flow and consumption should bring the Toyotas and Privateer very close together. The 2017 figures are from https://www.fia.com/file/58905/downl...token=eNkmOZrc

Let's see:
LMP1H 8MJ
2017 878kg___124,9MJ/lap fuel___80,2kg/h fuel___44,1kg/stint fuel
2018 878kg___124,9MJ/lap fuel___80,2kg/h fuel___35,2kg/stint fuel

LMP1
2017 833kg___157,2MJ/lap fuel___100,9kg/h fuel___53,0kg/stint fuel
2018 833kg___210,9MJ/lap fuel___110,0kg/h fuel___52,9kg/stint fuel

The LMP1H will see a drop in the average stint length as the fuel per stint decreases by 20%. A normal stint will be 10 or 11 laps instead of 13 laps, so LMP1H and LMP1 could be forced on the same stint lengths/strategy.

The LMP1 class gets 34% more fuel per lap and will have 9% more power. Is that a jump in power (and laptime) similar to what LMP2 did from 2016 to 2017? LMP2 improved the laptime from a 3:36 to a 3:25.

The best ByKolles did a 3:24 in 2017, the best LMP1H was 3:14.

Looks like it'll be a close competition!