Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 12 Feb 2018, 12:44 (Ref:3800696)   #476
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Mike, you're beginning to show your age.

I believe that in modern parlance that Max would be considered the "go to guy" on such matters.
Old 12 Feb 2018, 14:11 (Ref:3800723)   #477
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Mike, you're beginning to show your age.

I believe that in modern parlance that Max would be considered the "go to guy" on such matters.
That sounds about right.

Partly because it does not imply in any way that the person to be gone to has any relevant and useful knowledge at all. That gets a high score for deniability. A big plus in the modern world.
Old 12 Feb 2018, 14:49 (Ref:3800724)   #478
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
You know you’re getting old when..... Someone doesn’t just hold open a door for you- they go out of their way to open it. OK, I was carrying kit bag in one hand and shopping in other.

BTW, one for Max. I see from the OZ forum that a race suit manufacturer has been selling race suits with an out of date homologation. Were they S. Hemisphere based only?

Exciting moment in the Winter Olympics- we were on course for a silver medal at one point, but managed to finish 7th. Phew, that was close- but on the other hand, if the athlete had got a medal we’d have had to listen to the beeb eulogising over it for the next week!
Just think Mike, if it had been you holding the door for a 'lady', you would have been accused of being a sexist dinosaur, or whatever in this topsy-turvy age!
Old 12 Feb 2018, 15:20 (Ref:3800727)   #479
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
When wandering through the Luton Mall, dodging dusky and swarthy faced characters and odd looking people speaking in a strange tongue, I thought that a new law should be introduced that meant foreigners were obliged under pain of something very harsh, to give way to the native Englishman on all occasions.

Not much chance I suspect in this PC world I live in.*

*No jokes about electrical shops - PLEASE (Viv, Mike, Terence et al)
Old 12 Feb 2018, 15:43 (Ref:3800731)   #480
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
You know you’re getting old when..... Someone doesn’t just hold open a door for you- they go out of their way to open it.
Specially if you were sitting into a flying airplane, the second before!
Old 12 Feb 2018, 16:13 (Ref:3800733)   #481
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
When wandering through the Luton Mall, dodging dusky and swarthy faced characters and odd looking people speaking in a strange tongue, I thought that a new law should be introduced that meant foreigners were obliged under pain of something very harsh, to give way to the native Englishman on all occasions.

Not much chance I suspect in this PC world I live in.*

*No jokes about electrical shops - PLEASE (Viv, Mike, Terence et al)
I'm just wondering if I should Curry favour by following that instruction...
Old 12 Feb 2018, 16:18 (Ref:3800734)   #482
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Certain types of personage of which a lot reside in Luton think it below themselves to give way to anyone, Never hold a door open for said types as they consider it as you being subservient.
Old 12 Feb 2018, 16:28 (Ref:3800738)   #483
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
On the few rare occasions my dear wife and I venture into Leicester together (it has been suggested that she may not like being seen out with me) we are astounded that we spend most of our walking time side-stepping oncoming pedestrians. We are clearly polite and do this as a natural reaction, but on the few occasions when I've decided to tough it out, I've still been the one who side-steps. How do these (other) people know that we will move out of their way?
Old 12 Feb 2018, 16:55 (Ref:3800741)   #484
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Leicester, Luton or Paris it seems we meet the same kind of people. What is * la mode here is to use the baby strollers as pedestrian bumpers! I dont appreciate either this kind of shocking attitude. This is how our world goes. Sad.
Old 13 Feb 2018, 15:09 (Ref:3800967)   #485
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I would not want you chaps to think me 'racist' or chauvinistic I have to admit that I did meet one nice foreigner once. Can't remember where or when but I am sure I remember it.

Gerard as we have never met I do not include you in the above. I have little doubt that for a Frenchie you are quite nice.
Old 13 Feb 2018, 18:10 (Ref:3801048)   #486
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Ami Robert, you mean Froggie? :white flag

Because we got a silver medal in skiing our national TV referred to one of our previous champion, Henri Oreiller. Do you remember he was a rallye driver too (Alfa and Ferrari?
Old 14 Feb 2018, 06:30 (Ref:3801188)   #487
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Silverstone testing this Friday

Is there anyone else daft enough to be testing at Sillystone this Friday 16 th Feb . We are but I was unable to book a garage . Would like to be able to share a garage if poss and of corse pay towards the cost . We just have a couple of single seaters . Thanks . Iain
Old 14 Feb 2018, 07:21 (Ref:3801190)   #488
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Compared with recent weather, Friday @ Silverstone is looking OK- certainly hardly any chance of rain (or snow)..... Sun may even show itself at times.

You’ve been spoiled by South Africa!
Old 14 Feb 2018, 08:37 (Ref:3801204)   #489
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
compte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcompte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Matt Telling - Porsche Driver

Does anyone know of a Matt Telling, Porsche driver? He has bought a house in our tiny hamlet in England and the immediate neighbour thinks a racing driver in his 30s equals heavy drinking and all night barbies!!!
Old 14 Feb 2018, 08:56 (Ref:3801206)   #490
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by compte deGraves View Post
the immediate neighbour thinks a racing driver in his 30s equals heavy drinking and all night barbies!!!
No, that's a racing driver in their 60s....... No names!
Old 14 Feb 2018, 09:16 (Ref:3801211)   #491
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by compte deGraves View Post
Does anyone know of a Matt Telling, Porsche driver? He has bought a house in our tiny hamlet in England and the immediate neighbour thinks a racing driver in his 30s equals heavy drinking and all night barbies!!!
He is Australian. (Seriously, he is)
Old 14 Feb 2018, 09:35 (Ref:3801217)   #492
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
“Put another shrimp on the barbie” then, and stock up on Fosters......
Old 14 Feb 2018, 10:27 (Ref:3801238)   #493
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Another smile at a news headline this morning, this one on the net-

“Terrifying video shows jet engine falling apart mid-flight”

(The cowling came off a 777 engine, but it continued to it’s destination and landed perfectly...... )

One passenger posted a pic in a tweet showing the cowl-less engine and him holding up the emergency info card. Caption ‘I don’t see anything about this in the manual’!
Old 14 Feb 2018, 11:06 (Ref:3801250)   #494
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Another smile at a news headline this morning, this one on the net-

“Terrifying video shows jet engine falling apart mid-flight”

(The cowling came off a 777 engine, but it continued to it’s destination and landed perfectly...... )

One passenger posted a pic in a tweet showing the cowl-less engine and him holding up the emergency info card. Caption ‘I don’t see anything about this in the manual’!
Probably more unnerving for the person on the ground upon who's head the cowling landed?

Mike, do you remember the mid-air crash between a Canberra & Victor over Holt many years ago? Fortunately it happened at night as bits of debris landed all over the place, otherwise there could have been a lot of injuries on the ground. An entire wing landed in the 'L' behind two rows of cottages just along the road from our house. We were on holiday at the time & missed it all!
Old 14 Feb 2018, 12:40 (Ref:3801274)   #495
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
We are testing today here at Clay. 40mph winds and rain. Freezing cold. Utterly, utterly awful. The lad seems to be enjoying himself though, as 10 year olds do!

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 14 Feb 2018, 13:01 (Ref:3801280)   #496
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
We are testing today here at Clay. 40mph winds and rain. Freezing cold. Utterly, utterly awful. The lad seems to be enjoying himself though, as 10 year olds do!

Will you be developing new lines in thermal racewear?
Old 14 Feb 2018, 17:05 (Ref:3801308)   #497
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post

Half term activity day?
Old 14 Feb 2018, 19:23 (Ref:3801350)   #498
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Mike, do you remember the mid-air crash between a Canberra & Victor over Holt many years ago? Fortunately it happened at night as bits of debris landed all over the place, otherwise there could have been a lot of injuries on the ground. An entire wing landed in the 'L' behind two rows of cottages just along the road from our house. We were on holiday at the time & missed it all!
I didn’t remember it, but looked it up on the web. The eye witness report is worth reading-

http://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=22784
Old 14 Feb 2018, 20:51 (Ref:3801368)   #499
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
I didn’t remember it, but looked it up on the web. The eye witness report is worth reading-

http://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=22784
Quite a graphic description, isn't it?

I still remember the stunned atmosphere that had overtaken the town when we returned from North Wales the day after. I went with my father to see the wing that had fallen behind the nearby cottages, I still have a photograph I took. One resident recounting how he had just returned to his back door after walking his dog down the lane when the wing fell behind him!

There was a large scrapyard nearby & I often wondered how much of it fell in there, never to be found.
Old 15 Feb 2018, 06:36 (Ref:3801444)   #500
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Quite a graphic description, isn't it?
Certainly very detailed. This lighter comment struck me-

"My pal and I were travelling towards Holt in his ancient Morris Minor on the night of the incident. We were about 5 miles from Holt after Cowleys's finest had just managed to get us up one of the highest and steepest hills in Norfolk (about 300ft !) in second gear."

For those not familiar, there are some short but very steep hills in that area of Norfolk!