Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 9 Mar 2018, 18:20 (Ref:3807111)   #151
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compromised View Post
You could say that, but then it's odd that a setup from a supposedly "slower" car (VF) worked well.
Depends on ability of driver and their style to extract the max from the car
Old 9 Mar 2018, 23:00 (Ref:3807166)   #152
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
Yep, and Lowndes found it " very easy to drive, it's a lot nicer to drive a car you don't have to hustle or manage". http://www.supercars.com/news/champi...easy-to-drive/

Gee, it couldn't possibly be so great for Lowndes and Erebus because the car has a lower and more central centre of gravity due to a lighter bodywork package, therefore making everything better in the handling department with no drawbacks..........

Could it?
You can have whatever opinion you like but there are not enough facts yet to prove a disparity.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 10 Mar 2018, 02:24 (Ref:3807173)   #153
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ford teams to apply to homologate composite panels.

https://www.speedcafe.com/2018/03/10...eplace-falcon/

Can't wait to see the status quo remain and for the next excuse.

Old 10 Mar 2018, 10:13 (Ref:3807200)   #154
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The composite panels were known about, last year when the car first broke cover.

Another instance where Ford teams were caught napping...
Old 10 Mar 2018, 12:43 (Ref:3807221)   #155
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
The composite panels were known about, last year when the car first broke cover.

Another instance where Ford teams were caught napping...
From purely a cost perspective, it is hard to make sense of putting a proposal up to put composite panels on FG/X.

888 was spoken of as having spent $1.2m homologating ZB, funded presumably by Holden & friends. Same amount of work required to design Mondeo probably, even if they only run 8 of them not 14.

$1.2m, 8 Fords = $150k per car...

What will a composite FGX roof cost? Or doors? Or rear quarters? Or bonnets? Or boot lids?

Is playing with Grandpa’s Axe the best use of resources?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 10 Mar 2018, 12:48 (Ref:3807224)   #156
Mixer
Veteran

No say it will cost anything like that just to make composite panels, the shape isn't changing just the material.

Old 10 Mar 2018, 12:51 (Ref:3807227)   #157
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
No say it will cost anything like that just to make composite panels, the shape isn't changing just the material.

And junk the perfectly serviceable existing panelwork...

The article suggests that DJRTP and Tickford are applying to manufacture these independent of each other. Lets make 2 sets of designs, manufacturing equipment & methods, and the real possibility that one will be better than the other...

Mondeo. It’s time.
Old 10 Mar 2018, 12:53 (Ref:3807228)   #158
Mixer
Veteran

Nobody is going to cough up the millions required to do it, just makes no sense. People need to give up on Ford. They are gone and are not coming back.

Old 10 Mar 2018, 13:05 (Ref:3807230)   #159
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Nobody is going to cough up the millions required to do it, just makes no sense. People need to give up on Ford. They are gone and are not coming back.

Isnt a Mondeo and a Fusion the same car?
Doesn’t Mr Penske run a Fusion in NASCAR...

Surely the design capacity already exists on that body shape, however convoluted it becomes for NASCAR, to do it cheaper than the quoted 888 number?
Old 10 Mar 2018, 23:51 (Ref:3807288)   #160
JAFA851
Veteran

New Zealand
JAFA851 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
People need to give up on Ford. They are gone and are not coming back.
This. Do to them as they have done to you.
Old 20 Mar 2018, 03:50 (Ref:3809257)   #161
Silver GT
Racer

Silver GT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
theres a report in the Hearld Sun that the Ford boys are just waiting for a tick off on some new body panels for the AGP meet

can anyone add any comments?
Old 20 Mar 2018, 04:01 (Ref:3809258)   #162
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver GT View Post
theres a report in the Hearld Sun that the Ford boys are just waiting for a tick off on some new body panels for the AGP meet

can anyone add any comments?
the article linked but behind paywall)

includes quotes from Tim edwards

Quote:
The man leading the Falcon fightback, Tim Edwards from Tickford Racing, admits the Fords are ready to race with updated panels but cannot front that way at the AGP meeting without full approval from Supercars.

“I can’t say we’re running anything until we have approval. We’ve got to step through it,” Edwards says.
Quote:
The technical chief at Supercars, Dave Stewart, confirms there has been an application for a Falcon update but will not go into any sort of detail.

“We’ve have an application and we’re working through it. That’s both the Ford and Nissan homologation teams,” he says.
Old 20 Mar 2018, 04:12 (Ref:3809259)   #163
Jam3s
Racer

Jam3s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So they're already ready to go without much mumbling about significant costs and difficulty to produce which was being drummed into us in this thread.
Old 20 Mar 2018, 04:15 (Ref:3809260)   #164
Ospi
Veteran

Ospi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOspi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What's funny about this is due to the hinge design on the ZB there wasn't actually much benefit over the VF roof unlike the Ford which will see a much larger benefit. Swings and roundabouts.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Old 20 Mar 2018, 04:15 (Ref:3809261)   #165
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam3s View Post
So they're already ready to go without much mumbling about significant costs and difficulty to produce which was being drummed into us in this thread.
the teams mentioned significant costs, nothing to do with this thread

and there is no mention of the costs in this article which is still early in process
Old 20 Mar 2018, 05:00 (Ref:3809266)   #166
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ospi View Post
What's funny about this is due to the hinge design on the ZB there wasn't actually much benefit over the VF roof unlike the Ford which will see a much larger benefit. Swings and roundabouts.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
I know, right?
Old 20 Mar 2018, 05:23 (Ref:3809267)   #167
Silver GT
Racer

Silver GT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the story is now on supercars

seems the Nissans think its a foregone conclusion....they have already fitted their new roofs
Old 20 Mar 2018, 05:53 (Ref:3809270)   #168
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Link to article on Supercars site here
All seems a bit strange to me. Quotes Mr Kelly saying that they've worked hard to pull weight out of the cars but it begs the question on what they've been doing for the last few years - you'd think a driven, competitive team would have done that ages ago in areas that the regs permitted it.
Article also says that both Ford and Nissan declined the opportunity to re-spec composite panels last year but now are rushing to do so. This again seems weird - lack of foresight combined with a light-bulb moment in Adelaide perhaps?
Anyway, if they have a genuine need for lighter panels and ballast it's good that they're getting it - I guess we'll see over the next few events how close they all are to each other (or not).
Old 20 Mar 2018, 06:05 (Ref:3809273)   #169
Compromised
Veteran

Compromised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Surely Supercars will say no - parity between the cars has already been achieved through the homogulation process. Wouldn't further changes upset the balance?
Old 20 Mar 2018, 06:21 (Ref:3809275)   #170
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam3s View Post
You missed the point of the discussion entirely, making the ZB's panels in steel would have been costly and difficult.

Anyway I look forward to the ZB still being competitive if not dominant at the AGP, as their form their seems to be less than that of Adelaide.

DJRTP quiet on this, strangely.
Old 20 Mar 2018, 06:34 (Ref:3809280)   #171
djr81
Racer

djr81 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
You missed the point of the discussion entirely, making the ZB's panels in steel would have been costly and difficult.

Anyway I look forward to the ZB still being competitive if not dominant at the AGP, as their form their seems to be less than that of Adelaide.

The article says"...roof skins, which were custom-made due to difficulties obtaining production examples from Germany."

Difficult to obtain, not costly and difficult to make.

Everyone else can cut and shut roof panels. Its not rocket science.
Old 20 Mar 2018, 06:54 (Ref:3809281)   #172
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Very unlikely, DJRTP is the best team with the best driver and will brain 'em, now their extremely unfair disadvantage is partially removed.

Quote:
Designed by Triple Eight, the Commodores were said to be running as much as 40kg of ballast to make it to the 1,410kg minimum weight required for all cars.

“They [Triple Eight for the ZB] had to create a firewall because it’s a hatchback and it’s got a nice piece of carbon separating the cabin, whereas ours has got a dirty great bit of steel." said Tim Edwards.

“That’s not the sort of thing we could even entertain changing, because unless we were changing model or building new cars, you’ve just got to live with some of those things.”

“We have got a lot of unexpected modifications to the car after how things rolled out at Adelaide with the Holden, which our crew has dug deep and done an outstanding job of trying to level the playing field again,” Rick Kelly.

It is crystal clear the honest and trustworthy Falcon and Altima runners are still a some unfair disadvantage.

In a way it's good that Triple Eight's optimistic interpretation has has made it clear to the others that anything goes... The Falcon should handle nicely with it's new composite bonnet and composite roof.

Last edited by V8 Fireworks; 20 Mar 2018 at 07:07.
Old 20 Mar 2018, 06:57 (Ref:3809282)   #173
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Must strongly disagree.

A little metalwork with sheetmetal and an English wheel has to be cheaper than making composite moulds and using composites (which is a much more expensive raw material than sheet metal, not to mention all the labour hours of sanding and laying up, that aren't required with simple sheet metal).

I mentioned it before: the beautiful Project Binky Mini -- all hand fabricated out of sheetmetal, at a much lower cost than using composites.
Old 20 Mar 2018, 07:03 (Ref:3809283)   #174
Mixer
Veteran

If you can find enough people with skills to make panels like that suitable for a race car, you have an opportunity to make money selling them to Supercar teams...

But I'm here to tell you that you are wrong. Fabrication like that is very skill intensive and is NOT cheap.

The point remains - Ford and Nissan pointed the bone at this for the cause of the ZB's immediate competitiveness, completely discounting 888's record of car wins on debut, and the Commodore's rather incredible run of form at Adelaide.

Now that both will have eliminated this alleged advantage I await the next excuse.

Scotty was really fast at the GP last year, slippery car goes well - but Fabs seems to be all at sea, and a team needs both its drivers up the pointy end.
Old 20 Mar 2018, 07:08 (Ref:3809284)   #175
djr81
Racer

djr81 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=Mixer;3809283]The point remains - Ford and Nissan pointed the bone at this for the cause of the ZB's immediate competitiveness, completely discounting 888's record of car wins on debut, and the Commodore's rather incredible run of form at Adelaide.
QUOTE]

Ford and Nissan pointed the bone at a homologated advantage in a parity formula. That they were proven to have a point counts for nothing?