Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 11 Mar 2018, 12:24 (Ref:3807351)   #726
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
That’s a great pic. Is there a story to go with it......?
Old 11 Mar 2018, 13:10 (Ref:3807355)   #727
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
That’s a great pic. Is there a story to go with it......?
Uncle Eric would know the story better as he was there but that's taken coming off a RoRo ferry in Lagos (I think) in 1975 or 76. One thing for definite is the ferry sailed from Sheerness, I remember well-delivering beat old Feyland Mastiffs there on more than one occasion
Old 11 Mar 2018, 13:32 (Ref:3807358)   #728
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
You can just se the illegals climbing out of the back.
Old 11 Mar 2018, 14:46 (Ref:3807362)   #729
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
You can just se the illegals climbing out of the back.
Unless they were British economic migrants wanting to start a better life in Nigeria I doubt it.
Old 11 Mar 2018, 16:52 (Ref:3807374)   #730
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
Unless they were British economic migrants wanting to start a better life in Nigeria I doubt it.
My mistake Tim, they must have been climbing in.
Old 12 Mar 2018, 09:13 (Ref:3807477)   #731
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
My mistake Tim, they must have been climbing in.
So we can blame the Falce family for starting all of todays illegal immigrant problems
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 12 Mar 2018, 11:30 (Ref:3807486)   #732
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
So we can blame the Falce family for starting all of todays illegal immigrant problems
Why not! Someone’s got to be blamed.....

I know Mr Elwin isn’t a Volvo fan, so thought I’d post a pic of this for sale in town. 30yr old local car, 1 owner, 47k miles, and MINT...... One of the mechanics where it is for sale pdi’d the car for delivery when it was new.
Attached Thumbnails
058227FC-C3E5-4493-A8AE-C21540A337A7.jpeg  
Old 12 Mar 2018, 11:38 (Ref:3807488)   #733
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

I know Mr Elwin isn’t a Volvo fan, so thought I’d post a pic of this for sale in town. 30yr old local car, 1 owner, 47k miles, and MINT...... One of the mechanics where it is for sale pdi’d the car for delivery when it was new.
Alright, Mike. I saw a MUCH nicer Volvo than that hideous heap at Antwerp last weekend - a P1800 convertible. One of just 300 converted by Volvoville in the US, this was one of just three known roadworthy survivors, two of which are in Belgium.

This car was the end result of a 30-year search by the owner, who happens to be a Volvo dealer. He reckons he has a unique collection of Volvo convertibles, as well as a few other interesting things.
Old 12 Mar 2018, 12:11 (Ref:3807491)   #734
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Alright, Mike. I saw a MUCH nicer Volvo than that hideous heap at Antwerp last weekend - a P1800 convertible. One of just 300 converted by Volvoville in the US, this was one of just three known roadworthy survivors, two of which are in Belgium.
Only 3 left? Maybe because up to 1969 the P1800 bodies were made in the U.K....
Old 12 Mar 2018, 13:09 (Ref:3807497)   #735
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

Ah yes PDI . I could make loads of bonus doing PDI back in the late 70's. Paid for my motor racing.Happy days.
Old 12 Mar 2018, 13:35 (Ref:3807498)   #736
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Ah yes PDI . I could make loads of bonus doing PDI back in the late 70's. Paid for my motor racing.Happy days.
The days of bonuses! Wonder if they still exist? Amazing how quick jobs got done when there was a chance of extra income.....

I’d buy that Vovo if I had that sort of spare cash or my lotto ticket comes up! Would look good towing a GpA 240T touring car....
Old 12 Mar 2018, 13:47 (Ref:3807502)   #737
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
HOW much????? Thirteen K?????

The world's gone mad.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 12 Mar 2018, 16:16 (Ref:3807522)   #738
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Only 3 left? Maybe because up to 1969 the P1800 bodies were made in the U.K....
By Pressed Steel I think, and cars built up by Jensen. So much remedial work needed on the bodies that it nearly finished Jensen off (for the first time)
Old 12 Mar 2018, 17:10 (Ref:3807536)   #739
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McKay View Post
By Pressed Steel I think, and cars built up by Jensen. So much remedial work needed on the bodies that it nearly finished Jensen off (for the first time)

Spot on. Wasn't until 1969 onwards that the bodies were produced in Sweden! Think Jensen built about 6000 complete cars for them.
Old 12 Mar 2018, 17:23 (Ref:3807540)   #740
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Rather humorously I've just been caught out on Twitter. I did wonder when the question came back "which one is the Triumph? My excuse is that I've been in hospital today to undergo some tests.

Enjoy.

https://twitter.com/TufferB/status/9...420593154?s=20
Old 16 Mar 2018, 12:59 (Ref:3808316)   #741
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
For those not at Goody, a bit different auction to those I usually follow.....

http://www.hjpugh.com/tractorsales/170318catalogue.pdf

Lot 122, the 1948 Field Marshall brings back memories! Single (horizontal) cylinder 2 stroke diesel, and started by using a blank 12 bore cartridge. The exhaust isn’t very visible in the pic, but was more of a ‘smoke stack’, and would belch huge amounts of black smoke when under load. Unique noise as well, and I’ve fond memories of watching them work. They were very popular to drive thrashing machines (by belt), replacing steam, and when running stationary to do so, if the ground was soft the tractor would slowly sink in as it rocked back and forwards, such was the crank imbalance!

Tech info here..... http://www.fieldmarshalltractors.com...all/4536216010

Video of starting procedure if you’ve got 3 minutes.... https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VEurohAwrmA
Old 16 Mar 2018, 13:15 (Ref:3808320)   #742
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:

Lot 122, the 1948 Field Marshall brings back memories! Single (horizontal) cylinder 2 stroke diesel, and started by using a blank 12 bore cartridge. The exhaust isn’t very visible in the pic, but was more of a ‘smoke stack’, and would belch huge amounts of black smoke when under load. Unique noise as well, and I’ve fond memories of watching them work. They were very popular to drive thrashing machines (by belt), replacing steam, and when running stationary to do so, if the ground was soft the tractor would slowly sink in as it rocked back and forwards, such was the crank imbalance!

Tech info here..... http://www.fieldmarshalltractors.com...all/4536216010

Video of starting procedure if you’ve got 3 minutes.... https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VEurohAwrmA
One of the local farmers had one when I was at school, as it was a 2 stroke the engine could sometimes start in reverse without you knowing and caused all sorts of "fun" , however I have never known how the engine worked as it didn't have crankcase compression or a super/turbo charger. presumably it had ports and not valves ? I do know that it had a decompression lever that could automatically work off of the massive external flywheel so that you could also start it with a crank handle.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 16 Mar 2018, 13:16 (Ref:3808321)   #743
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Tech info here..... [url]http://www.fieldmarshalltractors.com/workings-of-a-field-marshall/4536216010[/u

Didn't Dinky make a model?
Old 16 Mar 2018, 17:57 (Ref:3808402)   #744
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Didn't Dinky make a model?
They certainly did John.

Old 16 Mar 2018, 18:01 (Ref:3808405)   #745
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Seems they’re worth a bit, as well!
Old 16 Mar 2018, 23:17 (Ref:3808445)   #746
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Seems they’re worth a bit, as well!
Like all old mechanical stuff, a mate of mine has been collecting tractors and related farm machinery for years, he's an absolute anorak and has probably got over a million quid's worth and still collecting.
A lot of cars in the day they were just scrapped when they got obsolete and people wanted newer stuff, the same with tractors although as farming got into the 20th century and more intensified the need for huge 4 wheel powerful machinery became the norm, now they are ECU controlled with all mod-cons like aircon and drive like a car.
However like modern cars modern tractors have got too "technical" and the silliest of things like a sensor or a dodgy connection on the canbus wiring can stop things working. Gone are the days of having a toolbox hanging off the side of the tractor with a hammer and an adjustable spanner inside that would get you going again.
Up my local farm they still have an old Fordson Dexta that they still use when things break down, unfortunately it won't take all the modern ancillary stuff behind it. However it will lay about for ages and still start instantly when needed.
Old 17 Mar 2018, 10:23 (Ref:3808500)   #747
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Like all old mechanical stuff, a mate of mine has been collecting tractors and related farm machinery for years, he's an absolute anorak and has probably got over a million quid's worth and still collecting.
A lot of cars in the day they were just scrapped when they got obsolete and people wanted newer stuff, the same with tractors although as farming got into the 20th century and more intensified the need for huge 4 wheel powerful machinery became the norm, now they are ECU controlled with all mod-cons like aircon and drive like a car.
However like modern cars modern tractors have got too "technical" and the silliest of things like a sensor or a dodgy connection on the canbus wiring can stop things working. Gone are the days of having a toolbox hanging off the side of the tractor with a hammer and an adjustable spanner inside that would get you going again.
Up my local farm they still have an old Fordson Dexta that they still use when things break down, unfortunately it won't take all the modern ancillary stuff behind it. However it will lay about for ages and still start instantly when needed.
There's a lovely little Fordson sitting in a field almost opposite my house right now. The corrugated shed it was sheltering in was completely destroyed in one of the many winter storms but the tractor's still there.
Old 17 Mar 2018, 11:43 (Ref:3808511)   #748
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Strange weather here. Woke up to a covering of snow everywhere. Thick snow falling at 9-30. 10-30 no snow to be seen anywhere.

Opposite to Goodwood where it looked absolutely glorious at 9-45 (though undoubtedly cold). Blizzard conditions now.
Old 18 Mar 2018, 08:04 (Ref:3808806)   #749
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know it's unlikely but for anyone thinking of attending the second day I.e. today of the VSCC Herefordshire Trial it is apparently cancelled. I assume due to snow again. Check with VSCC info sites if needing to confirm.
Old 18 Mar 2018, 12:02 (Ref:3808848)   #750
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The second day of the AGBO Rally @ Weston Park was cancelled. I got a call @ 5-45am when I was already on the M6, let's hope Goodwood still happens and I can watch it front the warmth of my armchair.