Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 25 Jan 2017, 20:03 (Ref:3705073)   #226
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
I'm glad they left AER behind and was hoping for them to use the Nissan unit. Now both ByKolles and Nissan's engine have a new breath of fresh air. I hope it's a good partnership.
Old 25 Jan 2017, 20:53 (Ref:3705082)   #227
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Damian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I would like to see a team choosing the AIM Judd v10 to have something different to hear.
Old 28 Feb 2017, 13:15 (Ref:3715306)   #228
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mecachrome turbo V6 derived from their GP2 engine confirmed for Ginetta LMP1.

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2017/0...etta-lmp1.html
Old 28 Feb 2017, 15:02 (Ref:3715320)   #229
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
So no other engine(s) will be possible (like the Nissan)??
Old 28 Feb 2017, 16:17 (Ref:3715333)   #230
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
So no other engine(s) will be possible (like the Nissan)??
Perhaps one of the other builders has an exclusive contract?
Old 28 Feb 2017, 17:50 (Ref:3715350)   #231
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
This is only the Ginetta, though. So the Nissan is still an option for anyone else. Maybe the Ginetta allows for a switch? Wonder what the SMP Dallara will run?
Old 1 Mar 2017, 00:53 (Ref:3715410)   #232
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker
What options did Ginetta have? AER? Honda North America? Who else?

One false step could spell disaster. But no matter what, Ginetta still have to stay the course and forge its own path. Because there’s no going back now with or without Mechachrome.
Old 1 Mar 2017, 09:13 (Ref:3715489)   #233
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juntos View Post
What options did Ginetta have? AER? Honda North America? Who else?

One false step could spell disaster. But no matter what, Ginetta still have to stay the course and forge its own path. Because there’s no going back now with or without Mechachrome.
Maybe the Nissan-Cosworth that ByKolles are using. Judd and Gibson have a couple of V8s and V10s of between 4.5 and 5.5 litres capacity sitting on the shelf that could do the job.
Old 3 Mar 2017, 14:36 (Ref:3716121)   #234
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Damian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There was a Cosworth v8 turbo too some years ago. It's basically the Chevy Indycar engine with two turbos. But I think now it was replaced with the Nissan v6

http://archive.dailysportscar.com/su...cosworthxh.htm

Judd have the AIM

http://juddpower.com/our-engines/aim-lmp1-engine/

Last edited by Damian Baldi; 3 Mar 2017 at 14:41.
Old 3 Mar 2017, 22:54 (Ref:3716243)   #235
Japanese Samurai
Veteran

Japan
Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!
Sorry for multi post.

According to Kota Sera blog,
Motohiro Matsumura (NISMO) confirms the maximum thermal efficiency of VRX30A engine beyond 43% at Motorsport technology and culture seminar.
And engine supply to Bykolles is leasing (not sellout) to keep a secret. NISMO is in charge of technical support.
http://serakota.blog.so-net.ne.jp/2017-03-03
Old 11 Mar 2017, 08:13 (Ref:3717933)   #236
Mike E
Veteran

Here is the Mecachrome V6 that will form the basis of Ginetta's LMP1 engine.

https://twitter.com/RacecarEngineer/...06162782924802
Old 11 Mar 2017, 09:03 (Ref:3717940)   #237
TF110
Veteran

United States
Something like 620hp and 120+kg from the stat sheet. I hope it's more powerful than that for the p1 cars.
Old 11 Mar 2017, 09:11 (Ref:3717945)   #238
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Something like 620hp and 120+kg from the stat sheet. I hope it's more powerful than that for the p1 cars.
being turbo, it can push 1000hp or 400hp as well...
it's all about consumes and lifespan required...
Old 11 Mar 2017, 09:37 (Ref:3717949)   #239
Mike E
Veteran

Graham G says it will be getting direct injection for the endurance version as well.
Old 15 Mar 2017, 11:10 (Ref:3718776)   #240
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TRD (Toyota Racing Development) is developing a new engine with one eye on the non-hybrid LM P1
http://www.endurance-info.com/fr/trd...le-trd-biz001/
Old 20 Mar 2017, 16:11 (Ref:3720220)   #241
bentley speed 8
Veteran

Sri Lanka
bentley speed 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbentley speed 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
More engine options for LMP1-L is always welcome.
Old 30 Mar 2017, 16:42 (Ref:3722634)   #242
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Not sure where to place this question. It may already have been answered previously, but... Are either Toyota or Porsche using in 2017 (or previously) Turbulent Jet Ignition (TJI) in their LMP1 engines?

It has been a hot topic within the F1 community. I think Mercedes had it first, then Ferrari, Renault and now Honda is giving it a go. It's not particularly an easy thing to make work. If you don't know what TJI is, it basically is a pre-chamber combustion system to support very lean running (high efficiency). In place of where normally you would find a spark plug in the head, you would have a small pre-chamber, a pre-chamber fuel injector and a spark plug. The fuel in that pre-chamber is ignited and then via specific nozzles, jets of combustion gases are sent into the main combustion chamber to ignite the main (I assume very lean) fuel/air combo. The FJI system accounts for part of the power delivery as well.

http://www.f1technical.net/news/20316

I don't know if Mahle is a Porsche partner or not, but I believe Mahle has worked with Ferrari on their TJI solution.

http://www.mahle-powertrain.com/en/e...-jet-ignition/

I can't seem to find any mention of Honda or Toyota using TJI, but at the same time, I would be surprised if one or both are not using this in 2017.

Richard
Old 30 Mar 2017, 18:31 (Ref:3722646)   #243
TF110
Veteran

United States
I've read on the autosport forums that Honda is now using it in F1. I would be interested to know if it's on the lmp1's also.
Old 31 Mar 2017, 08:22 (Ref:3722732)   #244
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
I've read on the autosport forums that Honda is now using it in F1. I would be interested to know if it's on the lmp1's also.
for a turbocharged gasoline engine, TJI is without doubt must-have technology.......you can be rest assured if Porsche /Toyota were not using it last year, they will be this year for sure.......the technology is unique to Mahle and heavily patented, so you would need to first sign a mass production contract with Mahle before they let you use it in a race application.......this is how they work on the piston business, no mass production pistons = no race pistons
Old 31 Mar 2017, 13:55 (Ref:3722801)   #245
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty View Post
the technology is unique to Mahle and heavily patented, so you would need to first sign a mass production contract with Mahle before they let you use it in a race application.......this is how they work on the piston business, no mass production pistons = no race pistons
That's an interesting assertion. If Mahle holds all of the key patents, then I am sure they will be compensated somehow. Forcing agreement to become an OEM supplier is a big ask. What I find interesting is that when I look for things like press releases for partnerships between the F1 engine manufactures and Mahle, I can find some for Mercedes and Renault that point to road cars (extending back to a time prior to the current engine regulations and TJI). I can find a press release for Ferrari but that is focused purely on the F1 project with no mention of the road car division (no clue if Ferrari is using Mahle in their production cars or not). I did find one article that talks about Mahle working with Ferrari on TJI, and supplying pistons for the F1 project, but it also says that Mahle "used" to provide pistons for Mercedes, but no longer (implication is that Mercedes likely still uses TJI but without all of the bits from Mahle).

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2016/05...iciency-gains/

And so far, I can find absolutely nothing regarding Honda and Mahle (other than aftermarket Mahle components). And it is pretty well accepted that the new 2017 Honda F1 engine uses TJI. So I am "somewhat" skeptical that the "only" option to work with Mahle is a deal to use their components in road car manufacturing. If Mahle truly only does deals that way, then another option is if someone like Honda has found a solution that does not require licensing Mahle IP.

Regarding Toyota and Porsche, it's hard to search out news about Porsche and Mahle because results are so flooded with aftermarket usage. I so far can't find anything about Toyota either.

Richard

Last edited by Richard C; 31 Mar 2017 at 14:00.
Old 31 Mar 2017, 15:19 (Ref:3722811)   #246
TF110
Veteran

United States
Not sure if this is the right thread, but a gentleman's agreement between Toyota and Porsche has been put in place to use the current chassis through 2019.
Old 31 Mar 2017, 17:50 (Ref:3722849)   #247
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That's a long time on the same chassis. Impressive that they both feel they can do that. Porsche is still on the original one too of course.
Old 27 Oct 2017, 08:34 (Ref:3776728)   #248
Japanese Samurai
Veteran

Japan
Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!
Tokyo Motor Show 2017 report by Kota Sera.
http://serakota.blog.so-net.ne.jp/2017-10-26

He reports 3D printing collecting pipe of exhaust manifold of VRX30A evo at Koiwai Co., Ltd. booth.
Material: Inconel 718
3D Printer: Arcam A2X
Printing time: 22 hours
Weight: 0.96 kg
Old 26 Mar 2018, 06:19 (Ref:3810808)   #249
Mike E
Veteran

Gibson GL458 to be revealed today.

https://twitter.com/gibsontech1/stat...718595072?s=19

https://twitter.com/gibsontech1/stat...756913161?s=19
Old 26 Mar 2018, 19:05 (Ref:3811056)   #250
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
http://www.dailysportscar.com/2018/0...p1-engine.html