Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

View Poll Results: Who will be the 2019 VASC Series Winning Driver?
#2 Mobil1/Mega, WAU Holden - Scott Pye 0 0%
#3 Rabble Club, KR Nissan - Garry Jacobson 0 0%
#5 The Bottle O, Tickford Ford - Lee Holdsworth 0 0%
#6 Monster Energy, Tickford Ford - Cam Waters 0 0%
#7 Kelly Racing, KR Nissan - Andre Heimgartner 0 0%
#8 Brad Jones Racing, BJR Holden - Nick Percat 0 0%
#9 Penrite Racing, Erebus Holden - David Reynolds 9 23.08%
#12 Shell V Power, DJRTP Ford - Fabian Coulthard 0 0%
#14 Freightliner, BJR Holden - Tim Slade 0 0%
#15 Castrol Racing, KR Nissan - Rick Kelly 0 0%
#17 Shell V Power, DJRTP Ford - Scott McLaughlin 17 43.59%
#18 Irwin Racing, Chasports Holden - Mark Winterbottom 1 2.56%
#19 Truck Assist, Tekno Holden - Jack Le Brocq 0 0%
#21 Cooldrive Auto Parts, BJR Holden - Macauley Jones 0 0%
#22 Mobil1/Mega, WAU Holden - James Courtney 0 0%
#23 Milwaukee Racing, 23Red Ford - Will Davison 0 0%
#33 Boost Mobile, GRM Holden - Richie Stanaway 0 0%
#34 Boost Mobile, GRM Holden - James Golding 1 2.56%
#35 Optus Racing, MSR Holden - Todd Hazelwood 0 0%
#55 SuperCheap Auto, Tickford Ford - Chaz Mostert 2 5.13%
#78 Harvey Norman, KR Nissan - Simona De Silvestro 0 0%
#88 Red Bull Holden, RBHRT Holden - Jamie Whincup 2 5.13%
#97 Red Bull Holden, RBHRT Holden - Shane Van Gisbergen 7 17.95%
#99 Penrite Racing, Erebus Holden - Anton de Pasquale 0 0%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2 Apr 2018, 01:15 (Ref:3812400)   #226
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
Not sure your point, Touring Cars are really wide in their description. Supercars meet the description of a Touring Car, so did the 1960 -1992 australian Touring Car champion cars

there is no requirement in touring Cars that they have road going relevance. F1 proves that road going relevance is not important to motorsport fans, As does NASCAR and drag racing and speedway
Haha how is the swinging in the breeze going for you Peckstar?

F1 and NASCAR aren’t claiming to be touring cars so your examples miss the mark. Try again.

Why claim to be touring cars if you have no relevance to the road cars?
Old 2 Apr 2018, 01:52 (Ref:3812401)   #227
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Isn't the BTCC version better, based on a real Insignia instead of a pretend one?
Old 2 Apr 2018, 06:39 (Ref:3812417)   #228
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
Haha how is the swinging in the breeze going for you Peckstar?

F1 and NASCAR aren’t claiming to be touring cars so your examples miss the mark. Try again.

Why claim to be touring cars if you have no relevance to the road cars?
Not at all, you reversed the discusion, road relevance means nothing anymore was Leos point, I just agreed with him.

Why does it matter as long as the racing is Engaging, compelling, dramatic and exciting racing is what is needed. the crowds suggest it is

Our supercars though do happen to have road relevance as v8 fireworks photo comparison shows, But heavily modified from road vehicles which is what touring cars are
Old 2 Apr 2018, 12:34 (Ref:3812475)   #229
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
But heavily modified from road vehicles which is what touring cars are
Pecky this is one of your better comparisons.
Old 4 Apr 2018, 16:14 (Ref:3812825)   #230
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post

Isn't the BTCC version better, based on a real Insignia instead of a pretend one?
Except it was a Croc of poo
Old 26 Apr 2018, 06:56 (Ref:3817452)   #231
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
2 More Years For Percat & BJR
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 26 Apr 2018, 08:47 (Ref:3817470)   #232
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Except it was a Croc of poo
So, based on the road going "commodore" after all
Old 26 Apr 2018, 08:54 (Ref:3817472)   #233
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Our supercars though do happen to have road relevance as v8 fireworks photo comparison shows, But heavily modified from road vehicles which is what touring cars are

I cant see how a car with space frame spec chassis, spec suspension (of totally different type) , different dimensions and wheelbase, chev v8 engine, rwd and composite body that looks "sorta like" a fwd 4/6 cyl road car, can be called "heavily modified from road vehicles". I even think the headlights are custom lightweight units. So whats from the road car, badges. tail lights and door handles?

Dont get me wrong VASC are entertaining, but dont pretend that any of them are "heavily modified from road vehicles" like group c or group a was. I mean Funny cars also have bodies that look similar to some road car.
Old 26 Apr 2018, 09:13 (Ref:3817476)   #234
champcarman
Veteran

champcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchampcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77 View Post
I cant see how a car with space frame spec chassis, spec suspension (of totally different type) , different dimensions and wheelbase, chev v8 engine, rwd and composite body that looks "sorta like" a fwd 4/6 cyl road car, can be called "heavily modified from road vehicles". I even think the headlights are custom lightweight units. So whats from the road car, badges. tail lights and door handles?

Dont get me wrong VASC are entertaining, but dont pretend that any of them are "heavily modified from road vehicles" like group c or group a was. I mean Funny cars also have bodies that look similar to some road car.
Does it matter?
Old 29 Apr 2018, 01:44 (Ref:3817982)   #235
Forda
Veteran

Forda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by champcarman View Post
Does it matter?
This very thing would probably account for a large number of former followers of the series.
Old 29 Apr 2018, 02:01 (Ref:3817985)   #236
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I still maintain that the bulk of the die-hards still believe what we have now are road cars, tarted up to race.

The comments on various social media seem to back this up.
Old 29 Apr 2018, 03:23 (Ref:3817988)   #237
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
I still maintain that the bulk of the die-hards still believe what we have now are road cars, tarted up to race.

Watching Bathurst last year with the car club I am in saw a number of comments which suggested this very thing.
Old 29 Apr 2018, 06:14 (Ref:3817995)   #238
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post

I’d expect this from casual fans who might watch Bathurst only every year but the number of people who follow the series more closely who still believe the tarted up road cars line is surprising.
Old 29 Apr 2018, 06:17 (Ref:3817996)   #239
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by champcarman View Post
Does it matter?
To some it matters a lot

To some it matters very little
Old 29 Apr 2018, 10:00 (Ref:3818030)   #240
Forda
Veteran

Forda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A lot of people who once followed Group C and Group A now refer to the current series as 'NASCARS', and tend to tune out.
Old 29 Apr 2018, 12:05 (Ref:3818070)   #241
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
I’d expect this from casual fans who might watch Bathurst only every year but the number of people who follow the series more closely who still believe the tarted up road cars line is surprising.
They must not pay attention much!

Crompo explained it quite extensively... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lhD...E91F14529CFA65
Old 30 Apr 2018, 02:49 (Ref:3818268)   #242
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forda View Post
A lot of people who once followed Group C and Group A now refer to the current series as 'NASCARS', and tend to tune out.
Also tend to say "get off my lawn".

That is hilarious.
Old 30 Apr 2018, 03:51 (Ref:3818272)   #243
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
oh well, the series is more popular now than then so you lose some , you win some

the fields are bigger, the racing's closer, we get more raceing and we get a bigger variety of winners

Ive got a friend that in the category, but he still watches, because its still motorsport an its still on TV and even with the current highlights package its better the the coverage from 30 years ago on FTA

Last edited by peckstar; 30 Apr 2018 at 04:19.
Old 30 Apr 2018, 03:54 (Ref:3818273)   #244
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Also tend to say "get off my lawn".

That is hilarious.
A read of John Craft's excellent book, Anatomy & Development of the Stock Car, would lead one to draw the conclusion that the development of the Supercar from '92 to the present day followed a similar although not identical path as the NASCAR stock car from the 50's to the early 1980's.
Old 30 Apr 2018, 05:49 (Ref:3818278)   #245
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
oh well, the series is more popular now than then so you lose some , you win some
Is it?

What are you basing your numbers off?

Quote:
the fields are bigger, the racing's closer, we get more raceing and we get a bigger variety of winners
The fields are not bigger

The racing is only closer because the cars are purpose built to be that close. In Group C and Group A, the cars were designed and built with being faster than the others in mind.

Does a bigger variety of winners really prove anything? Was 2012 with only 4 different winners any worse than 2013 or 2011 when there were more winners?
Old 30 Apr 2018, 06:08 (Ref:3818281)   #246
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Is it?

What are you basing your numbers off?

The fields are not bigger

The racing is only closer because the cars are purpose built to be that close. In Group C and Group A, the cars were designed and built with being faster than the others in mind.

Does a bigger variety of winners really prove anything? Was 2012 with only 4 different winners any worse than 2013 or 2011 when there were more winners?
im basing my numbers on the facts, not rose coloured glasses. its really not hard to find

for many years of the Atcc thorugh the 80's there were just 20 cars or less at each round
Old 30 Apr 2018, 08:36 (Ref:3818298)   #247
mite5255
Racer

Australia
Caboolture Queensland
mite5255 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Hey, hang on a minute, I'm 65 and followed both group c and A and will admit it took me awhile to warm to group a BUT I have NEVER EVER refereed to the current series as Nascars, Oh and I sure as hell don't tune out, I may take a nap but I always follow what is going on, oh ****, my eyelids are getting heavy
Old 30 Apr 2018, 09:20 (Ref:3818316)   #248
one five five
Veteran

Quote:
im basing my numbers on the facts, not rose coloured glasses. its really not hard to find
Where are these facts? Please supply a source (preferrably not a quote from the series organiser would be nice), it's the least you can do as you always go on about others providing a source

Quote:
for many years of the Atcc thorugh the 80's there were just 20 cars or less at each round
Every year in the 80s had most races featuring more than 20 starters

34 cars starting this ATCC round from 1984
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VM9o90KwjGg

Over 30 cars at a 1989 ATCC round at the height of "Formula Sierra"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iOuDJDNtEM
Old 30 Apr 2018, 10:15 (Ref:3818331)   #249
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Where are these facts? Please supply a source (preferrably not a quote from the series organiser would be nice), it's the least you can do as you always go on about others providing a source

Every year in the 80s had most races featuring more than 20 starters

34 cars starting this ATCC round from 1984
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VM9o90KwjGg

Over 30 cars at a 1989 ATCC round at the height of "Formula Sierra"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iOuDJDNtEM
Really you are going to cherry pick a couple of rounds to make an argument

tell me about rounds 2,3,5 of 1989, but i will admit 89 and 90 were good years for Group A, Just like 77 was for Group C

But there are no years where there were at least 26 cars on the grid for every event and for almost every years(with the exceptions mentioned above) it was common to have less than 20 cars at an event

Your welcome to work out the stats, but the average field over the life of Supercars is considerable higher than the average field over the life of group A and Group C. even now with only 26 cars at most events it is still higher

Last edited by peckstar; 30 Apr 2018 at 10:21.
Old 30 Apr 2018, 11:06 (Ref:3818344)   #250
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
Quote:
Really you are going to cherry pick a couple of rounds to make an argument

tell me about rounds 2,3,5 of 1989, but i will admit 89 and 90 were good years for Group A, Just like 77 was for Group C

But there are no years where there were at least 26 cars on the grid for every event and for almost every years(with the exceptions mentioned above) it was common to have less than 20 cars at an event

Your welcome to work out the stats, but the average field over the life of Supercars is considerable higher than the average field over the life of group A and Group C. even now with only 26 cars at most events it is still higher
Regardless of the number of starters the number of likely winners has stayed remarkably similar over the 58 year history of the ATCC / Supercars championship.

The same could also be said for Formula One.