Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 May 2018, 13:50 (Ref:3820351)   #1651
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I'd like to see that.

However, in all seriousness, what about having the GP at IMS and running clockwise, for 250 miles? The F1 Indy 250.
Doubt IMS or IndyCar would allow it. Diluting the Indy brand.
Old 6 May 2018, 15:49 (Ref:3820380)   #1652
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Indianapolis could be done with two chicanes, like Rafaela.
Old 6 May 2018, 16:15 (Ref:3820386)   #1653
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Indianapolis could be done with two chicanes, like Rafaela.
That would defeat the whole purpose of racing on an oval.
Old 6 May 2018, 17:03 (Ref:3820398)   #1654
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
That would defeat the whole purpose of racing on an oval.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NG8dy-6Mp0

Greatest race in the history of motorsport.
Old 6 May 2018, 17:15 (Ref:3820406)   #1655
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post

Old 7 May 2018, 09:17 (Ref:3820539)   #1656
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I wonder if anyone has thought of a return to Portugal? It wouldn't matter if it didn't come back, but just remember the days of Estoril and you know what I mean
Old 7 May 2018, 15:20 (Ref:3820608)   #1657
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:

Those chicanes aren't fast enough, let alone FIA-compliant.
Old 7 May 2018, 15:32 (Ref:3820611)   #1658
loon
Racer

loon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridloon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What about a race in Scarborough, the tour of Yorkshire put on a great finish there
Old 7 May 2018, 16:08 (Ref:3820615)   #1659
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I wonder if anyone has thought of a return to Portugal? It wouldn't matter if it didn't come back, but just remember the days of Estoril and you know what I mean
Liberty did say traditional European races are key to its plans for the future.
Old 7 May 2018, 16:25 (Ref:3820616)   #1660
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
You'd need a full rebuild of the garages and all the rest of it. The facilities haven't changed since the last F1 race. Seriously, there's still some old paintwork from back then dotted around.
Old 7 May 2018, 16:31 (Ref:3820618)   #1661
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Liberty did say traditional European races are key to its plans for the future.
Just like Kraft said when they took over Cadburys in the UK; the production in the UK of their confectionery was important. They then promptly closed down at least one of their major UK plants even before the ink was fully dry on the contracts.

Words are cheap!
Old 7 May 2018, 16:59 (Ref:3820621)   #1662
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Well, they've done quite a bit of work at Estoril since 1997, as the place was remade for MotoGP. However, because of it, I don't think the track layout is conducive to good racing; I consider Algarve a much better choice for F1 at this point.
Old 7 May 2018, 18:30 (Ref:3820628)   #1663
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Just like Kraft said when they took over Cadburys in the UK; the production in the UK of their confectionery was important. They then promptly closed down at least one of their major UK plants even before the ink was fully dry on the contracts.

Words are cheap!
But Liberty haven't closed down any traditional European GPs and both the French and German races are back on this year's calendar.
Old 7 May 2018, 18:43 (Ref:3820630)   #1664
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Yeah, I think again people are really trying to hate Liberty here. They said more Euro races, and we have two races back that we previously lost. That's not only stopped the trend of losing them but reversed it. Credit where it's due and all that.
Old 7 May 2018, 19:43 (Ref:3820638)   #1665
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
But Liberty haven't closed down any traditional European GPs and both the French and German races are back on this year's calendar.
and

Quote:
Yeah, I think again people are really trying to hate Liberty here. They said more Euro races, and we have two races back that we previously lost. That's not only stopped the trend of losing them but reversed it. Credit where it's due and all that.

The French GP deal was actually signed off in December 2016, and I believe that BCE was still in control then.

The German GP is returning to it's biennial slot at Hockenheim, having last been run in 2016.

And it's now nearly a year since the BRDC triggered the get-out clause, and we still do not know whether the race in the UK will be held after next year.

I'm holding on to my credit for the time being.

Oh, and I don't hate Liberty; I just don't care for either FOM or the FIA.
Old 7 May 2018, 19:51 (Ref:3820641)   #1666
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
The French GP should never have come off the calendar. Same with Germany. And I can’t see us ever losing the British GP. The FIA has it’s fault but it’s done a good job all things considered. FOM with Bernie was never easy. Liberty hopefully will do the right things
Old 7 May 2018, 20:32 (Ref:3820653)   #1667
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
The French GP deal was actually signed off in December 2016, and I believe that BCE was still in control then.

The German GP is returning to it's biennial slot at Hockenheim, having last been run in 2016.

And it's now nearly a year since the BRDC triggered the get-out clause, and we still do not know whether the race in the UK will be held after next year.

I'm holding on to my credit for the time being.

Oh, and I don't hate Liberty; I just don't care for either FOM or the FIA.
So why the Cadbury analogy, when no GPs have been removed?
Old 7 May 2018, 20:48 (Ref:3820657)   #1668
S griffin
Veteran

It’s an analogy that doesn’t work. F1 has kept all it’s GPs except Malaysia
Old 7 May 2018, 21:26 (Ref:3820664)   #1669
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:
So why the Cadbury analogy, when no GPs have been removed?

As I said, I don't hate them, but, at the same time time, I also don't trust them. They are involved with F1 for the same reasons as CVC and BCE, which is to make money.

And if it's expedient for them to have more races in countries other than the UK, then that is what they will do. And that's where the analogy with Kraft and Cadbury's is apt.
Old 7 May 2018, 21:33 (Ref:3820674)   #1670
S griffin
Veteran

But Liberty seem less fiscal motivated than CVC. And we’ve had only one GP in Britain for a long time. I don’t get this Craft Cadbury analogy
Old 7 May 2018, 21:35 (Ref:3820678)   #1671
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
As I said, I don't hate them, but, at the same time time, I also don't trust them. They are involved with F1 for the same reasons as CVC and BCE, which is to make money.

And if it's expedient for them to have more races in countries other than the UK, then that is what they will do. And that's where the analogy with Kraft and Cadbury's is apt.
But that hasn't happened and I don't see Liberty losing the British GP, for another race in other countries. They've said the traditional European races are key to F1.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/l...future-881346/
Old 7 May 2018, 21:45 (Ref:3820681)   #1672
S griffin
Veteran

I think Liberty will help keep the British GP on the calendar and keep all the European races too
Old 7 May 2018, 21:57 (Ref:3820682)   #1673
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
I think Liberty will help keep the British GP on the calendar and keep all the European races too
It's one of the traditional GPs and has been on the calendar since the F1 started back in 1950. Now that both the French and German GPs are back on the calendar, to lose the British GP would be something of a PR disaster for Liberty. Not to mention a disaster for F1, considering so many teams are based here.
Old 7 May 2018, 23:19 (Ref:3820692)   #1674
S griffin
Veteran

It has been going for so long. As I said it was a travesty to lose both France and Germany. Now they’re back it seems inconceivable to lose the British GP. I just can’t see it happening ever
Old 9 May 2018, 10:24 (Ref:3820999)   #1675
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Whispers suggest Miami is go for 2019!

We wait to see if Miami is an add on, or replaces a current round. I don't think it'll be replacing any of the current races. FOM are aiming for a 25 race calendar, eventually.