Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 23 May 2018, 18:17 (Ref:3824266)   #2851
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
According to this Autosport article, http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/136222, what Mercedes asked, in the original letter sent to Charlie Whiting was:

"With the exception of transformer oils used within ERS cooling circuits, and hydraulic oils used for PU actuators (both of which should have zero consumption in operation), do all oils (and specifically, any oil used in the pressure charging [turbocharger] system) used in the power unit need to comply with article 20?"

Whiting replied: "All oils used in the engine must comply with article 20 of the F1 technical regulations. The turbocharger is considered part of the engine."

Mercedes's second question was: "If the answer to Q1 is 'yes', does it therefore follow that the combined oil consumption of all the power unit oils must respect the 0.6lts/100km limit referenced within TD/012-17?", referring to previous technical directives about oil consumption. Whiting replied: "Yes".
Old 23 May 2018, 18:23 (Ref:3824271)   #2852
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
That’s better, Merc are right to ask. But that’s the trouble with PUs, be better if it was just about oil
Old 23 May 2018, 19:22 (Ref:3824282)   #2853
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Sorry, forgot to add -
Haha! Maybe we can be all part of team "ARS" (ambiguous rotating smiley)!

Richard

Old 23 May 2018, 20:20 (Ref:3824292)   #2854
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
According to this Autosport article, http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/136222, what Mercedes asked, in the original letter sent to Charlie Whiting was:

"With the exception of transformer oils used within ERS cooling circuits, and hydraulic oils used for PU actuators (both of which should have zero consumption in operation), do all oils (and specifically, any oil used in the pressure charging [turbocharger] system) used in the power unit need to comply with article 20?"

Whiting replied: "All oils used in the engine must comply with article 20 of the F1 technical regulations. The turbocharger is considered part of the engine."

Mercedes's second question was: "If the answer to Q1 is 'yes', does it therefore follow that the combined oil consumption of all the power unit oils must respect the 0.6lts/100km limit referenced within TD/012-17?", referring to previous technical directives about oil consumption. Whiting replied: "Yes".
So no mention of ferrari specifically, just a pure technical clarification request.
The only mention of 'cheating' came from a forum poster - who struggles to see anyone in red as a legitimate competitor, and assumes that their entire operation is part of an FIA conspiracy.
Old 23 May 2018, 22:22 (Ref:3824310)   #2855
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
So just making sure the rules seem right to them. I really wish we could concentrate more on what’s happening on track
Old 24 May 2018, 00:12 (Ref:3824319)   #2856
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Originally Posted by S griffin
Well that’s what I guessed, I think Merc are too classy for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man View Post

Old 24 May 2018, 07:17 (Ref:3824352)   #2857
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I think someone has stirred something up.
Never!

On the subject of Ferrari making up their own rules, the necessary (and illegal) mirror supports that were argued about in Spain have mirror-culously disappeared!

So... the necessary supports weren't necessary after all.

Old 24 May 2018, 07:32 (Ref:3824353)   #2858
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
FOM are having another fan survey.

One of the questions in the survey...

Survey is HERE.

Old 24 May 2018, 08:26 (Ref:3824361)   #2859
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
And further news to Ferrari's suspected cheating, from Thursday until race completion, both Ferrari cars will be fitted with devices that will monitor the Ferrari ERS system, as it has been under suspicion for a while now.

Ferrari obviously were not very keen on fitting the monitoring system to their cars, but the FiA insisted that they must do so.

IMO, monitoring the ERS on a track like Monaco is completely useless. How about the FiA monitor the Ferrari ERS at Spa. That should bring to life what many teams have been saying in the last few rounds, that being the Ferrari ERS system is suspect.

Old 24 May 2018, 09:42 (Ref:3824364)   #2860
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
I would like to see 2 points bonus for pole and 1 for fastest lap in race.
Old 24 May 2018, 12:02 (Ref:3824387)   #2861
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
And further news to Ferrari's suspected cheating, from Thursday until race completion, both Ferrari cars will be fitted with devices that will monitor the Ferrari ERS system, as it has been under suspicion for a while now.
You're the only one referring to it as cheating though?

ARS -
Old 24 May 2018, 14:49 (Ref:3824408)   #2862
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
And further news to Ferrari's suspected cheating, from Thursday until race completion, both Ferrari cars will be fitted with devices that will monitor the Ferrari ERS system,
This is a totally separate matter - and bears no relation to your allegations of cheating made previously.

'The FIA [...] points out there is nothing illegal about the architecture of the Ferrari system – and that if any team is convinced that something illicit is going on, it should lodge a formal protest'

Quote:
Ferrari obviously were not very keen on fitting the monitoring system to their cars, but the FiA insisted that they must do so.
'Data from the first five races is still being analysed by the FIA in an ongoing process, and Ferrari is co-operating fully.'

Are you Lauda's alter ego?

'questions raised by Mercedes’ Niki Lauda.'
'This is what has been vexing Lauda who has been quite outspoken in his calling for the FIA to make a ruling'
Old 26 May 2018, 12:36 (Ref:3824751)   #2863
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The trolling is getting boring now. Seems every thread is now just a case of F1Guy pushing an agenda. The posts don't even fit the links being posted.
Old 26 May 2018, 14:37 (Ref:3824780)   #2864
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
The trolling is getting boring now. Seems every thread is now just a case of F1Guy pushing an agenda. The posts don't even fit the links being posted.

Unless something changes, RIP ten-tenths
Old 27 May 2018, 02:07 (Ref:3824849)   #2865
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post
Unless something changes, RIP ten-tenths
Don't go to the sportscar side, it's even worse with 2 people constantly pushing their personal agenda complete with false stats and weblinks often show the opposite what they claim. Sadly I think tenths won't last another 24 months as it has been and my motorsports news source will have to change again

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
Old 27 May 2018, 05:13 (Ref:3824857)   #2866
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Teams agree to dump the MGU-H for the good of the sport

http://www.f1reader.com/list/news/la...ort-039-198127

Fuel limitations are also going to be dropped apparently, can only hope.

Budget caps also being revisited, $150 million a year being touted in the face of Merc opposition to the limit saying it is too low!
If you are paying Lewis $40 million a year, I guess you are not left with much!

Nice to see Liberty and the FIA standing firm and forcing through necessary changes.
Old 27 May 2018, 07:06 (Ref:3824864)   #2867
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Quote:
It seems as Ferrari will not be using the ERS monitoring hardware for the race itself. The FiA are satisfied with their investigation on Thursday that Ferrari are not "cheating". The cars were only monitored during free practice one and two.

Why not monitor the cars during qualifying and the race? And why monitor at Monaco? Probably the only track on the calendar where outright HP makes the least impact. Strange decision by the FiA.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-mo...-idUKKCN1IR0SB

Old 27 May 2018, 07:23 (Ref:3824866)   #2868
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
You cannot ask a team to install additional hardware during qualifying or race, a time when the additional weight gives a performance disadvantage. Either everyone has it, or nobody has it, similar to the dummy cameras. Realistically, practice is the only fair time to do that kind of spot checking.

Also, given the ERS strengths are underbraking and acceleration, not outright HP numbers and top speeds, Monaco is a perfectly reasonable circuit to run this monitoring system on. Silverstone is actually one of the worst for ERS as the cars struggle to recover all the energy required for a full recharge due to the lack of decent braking zones.
Old 27 May 2018, 07:46 (Ref:3824868)   #2869
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
It seems as Ferrari will not be using the ERS monitoring hardware for the race itself. The FiA are satisfied with their investigation on Thursday that Ferrari are not "cheating". The cars were only monitored during free practice one and two.

Why not monitor the cars during qualifying and the race?
So the FiA failed to find any evidence of your claim? Yet you still insist on using the term 'cheat'?

Obviously they've gained enough data to determine how the Ferrari ERS works, and that the battery arrangement (which complies fully with regulations) does not operate in a non-compliant manner.
Old 27 May 2018, 08:07 (Ref:3824870)   #2870
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Some comments from Charlie Whiting on the investigation.
Quote:

Charlie Whiting: "We are now satisfied everything is in order.

"The matter was exacerbated by unsubstantiated allegations that went through the paddock like wildfire. It came from a Ferrari engine man now at Mercedes, but his information would be the length of his gardening leave old.

"If we had a hard case, we would have gone to the stewards, but we didn’t have anything. If they felt they had anything substantial to question, they could have made a protest.

"We had concerns in Baku that we couldn’t explain. In Spain, Ferrari showed us things that helped satisfy us that they were inside the rules.

"We first looked at data, digging quite deep. We had to understand whether Ferrari’s explanations were valid. We were never in doubt that things were above board, but by Friday night we were convinced. We have some pretty clever guys working for us now to spot this kind of thing.

"We will probably ask Ferrari to run new hardware at future races to make it easier for us to monitor, but we have a system here in Monaco to establish what is happening without an additional sensor."

That last paragraph is interesting. At first CW says the FiA is "satisfied everything is in order." But then goes on to say further monitoring may take place at future races??

This is a can of worms is it not? If the FiA are satisfied no "cheating" is taking place, then why the need for further monitoring down the track, by which, prolonging the cheating rumours in the paddock further into the season??

What would happen if the FiA were to find something that is deemed not legal further down the calendar? Would they then act on their findings and possibly disqualify Ferrari from the championship(s)?? I highly doubt it, specially if Ferrari are in a tight battle for the championship(s). Bad decision by the FiA. They should've said the investigation is complete, no further action. By saying the FiA may continue to monitor Ferrari's ERS system, leaves the door open for further questioning IMO.

Old 27 May 2018, 08:27 (Ref:3824875)   #2871
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Some comments from Charlie Whiting on the investigation.
That last paragraph is interesting. At first CW says the FiA is "satisfied everything is in order." But then goes on to say further monitoring may take place at future races??

This is a can of worms is it not? If the FiA are satisfied no "cheating" is taking place, then why the need for further monitoring down the track, by which, prolonging the cheating rumours in the paddock further into the season??

What would happen if the FiA were to find something that is deemed not legal further down the calendar? Would they then act on their findings and possibly disqualify Ferrari from the championship(s)?? I highly doubt it, specially if Ferrari are in a tight battle for the championship(s). Bad decision by the FiA. They should've said the investigation is complete, no further action. By saying the FiA may continue to monitor Ferrari's ERS system, leaves the door open for further questioning IMO.
Try reading CW's statement again without an anti-Ferrari bias.

There was never an investigation, and the only claim of cheating was made on this forum.

They took the decision to install a monitoring device just to back up the assessment of compliance they had already reached. No harm in applying a confidence check - it's regular practice in engineering work.

He then raises the possibility of a future monitoring device, which I would imagine is so that it will be easier to refute allegations in future, not to uncover a breach of regulations.

Is it so hard to accept that if CW is content, then the ridiculous allegations of cheating can stop - not repeatedly trolled out here?
Old 27 May 2018, 08:58 (Ref:3824884)   #2872
S griffin
Veteran

Ferrari are just using the rules to their best advantage and Charlie Whiting is happy for them. No proof of cheating here
Old 27 May 2018, 10:09 (Ref:3824897)   #2873
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Should return to proper engines, 3litre V8s then Ferrari can run their 4l version at Monza like the old days.
Old 27 May 2018, 12:06 (Ref:3824912)   #2874
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
I don't have access to the SkyF1 telecast atm, but apparently Martin had said Ferrari were most likely doing something illegal, also said something along the lines of the FiA has swept it under the carpet for the benefit of the sport (??). Nico Rosberg also commented on the issue apparently?
Anyone who's watching SkyF1 could you fill me in on the conversation that took place please?
Old 27 May 2018, 13:30 (Ref:3824922)   #2875
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Teams agree to dump the MGU-H for the good of the sport

http://www.f1reader.com/list/news/la...ort-039-198127

Fuel limitations are also going to be dropped apparently, can only hope.

Budget caps also being revisited, $150 million a year being touted in the face of Merc opposition to the limit saying it is too low!
If you are paying Lewis $40 million a year, I guess you are not left with much!

Nice to see Liberty and the FIA standing firm and forcing through necessary changes.
Driver, team management and a few other items are excluded from the budget cap. Please actually read the limits proposed, the reason for MB and Ferrari complaints is they would make almost 50% for Mercedes and 40% for Ferrari of the workforce redundant to meet the cap.

Fuel limits restriction were brought up by Wolff but apparently only in passing not as a serious point.

Last edited by broadrun96; 27 May 2018 at 13:39.