Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 2 Aug 2018, 18:07 (Ref:3840917)   #1576
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Ami Robert, dont you think this could be an easy excuse, something like BS talking typical from salesmen from the paint factory!

1,000 posts - you're catching me up, Gerard!
Old 2 Aug 2018, 18:21 (Ref:3840920)   #1577
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Ho yes, John, thanks I didn't see that. Quand on aime, on ne compte pas!
Now I guess you know a lot about our language, did you hear the expression we have to say when a paint job is poor, looking like an orange peel skin? We say the paint must have been made with a cow's tail "peint avec une queue de vache"! Its of course not related to Lotus cars.
But seeing so called modern cars, many makers must use what is left from burgers…

Last edited by Gerard C; 2 Aug 2018 at 18:27.
Old 2 Aug 2018, 18:42 (Ref:3840923)   #1578
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Ho yes, John, thanks I didn't see that. Quand on aime, on ne compte pas!
Now I guess you know a lot about our language, did you hear the expression we have to say when a paint job is poor, looking like an orange peel skin? We say the paint must have been made with a cow's tail "peint avec une queue de vache"! Its of course not related to Lotus cars.
But seeing so called modern cars, many makers must use what is left from burgers…
No, I hadn't heard that expression, although I am rapidly learning a lot of new ones now that there is a French lady in my life...
Old 2 Aug 2018, 19:59 (Ref:3840947)   #1579
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
No, I hadn't heard that expression, although I am rapidly learning a lot of new ones now that there is a French lady in my life...
Oo! La, la!
Old 3 Aug 2018, 05:36 (Ref:3841005)   #1580
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Yes, oh lÃ*, lÃ*! But why a lady? You already had a cat… Because you learn fast and she's french another one: pour les tâches ancillaires, la femme s'avère supérieure au chat domestique! S'entendre avec une Française, c'est pas de la tarte !
Old 3 Aug 2018, 06:20 (Ref:3841009)   #1581
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Yes, oh lÃ*, lÃ*! But why a lady? You already had a cat… Because you learn fast and she's french another one: pour les tâches ancillaires, la femme s'avère supérieure au chat domestique! S'entendre avec une Française, c'est pas de la tarte !

'But why a lady? you ask. Yes Gerard, it is true, I have a cat (two actually) but they have their limitations.
Old 3 Aug 2018, 07:04 (Ref:3841015)   #1582
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Kev has sent me this link which is quite short but a bit of F5000 'fever'

https://youtu.be/q6N8C6ijw9k
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 3 Aug 2018, 23:11 (Ref:3841245)   #1583
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Kev has sent me this link which is quite short but a bit of F5000 'fever'

https://youtu.be/q6N8C6ijw9k
Just checking my bank balance
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 4 Aug 2018, 00:09 (Ref:3841253)   #1584
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I found this to be a great experience !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZQEqqsNEqs
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 4 Aug 2018, 05:00 (Ref:3841294)   #1585
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Absolutely fascinating. Brilliant training. Had a similar experience in a castle located south of Scotland or north of England if my memory serves.
Old 4 Aug 2018, 05:02 (Ref:3841295)   #1586
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Absolutely fascinating. Brilliant training. Had a similar experience in a castle located south of Scotland or north of England if my memory serves.
Bon Jour, mon ami.
Old 4 Aug 2018, 09:36 (Ref:3841332)   #1587
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Bon Jour, mon ami.
Yes, in old French language it was supposed to be a nice wish. Merci, ami Robert. Que cette journée vous soit douce. With nice people driving Bentleys in Silverstone I presume?
Old 9 Aug 2018, 11:55 (Ref:3842479)   #1588
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Absolutely nothing to do with historics, but interesting to read what’s happening with new motors and the latest test procedures manufacturers are having to adopt when compiling emissions / fuel consumption figures. The new ‘WLTP’ tests are (perhaps not surprisingly), causing the VAG group in particular big problems. According to Autocar, you can’t order any new Porker at the moment until all the testing is done and rubber stamped, the current model Golf GTI is no longer on sale, and the Golf R has lost several horsepower in order to comply. (As has the similar engined Seat Leon Cupra R.) As for other makers, Peugeot are having to re-engineer their 308GTI, while Mercedes are keeping quiet about the whole issue.....
Old 9 Aug 2018, 14:21 (Ref:3842538)   #1589
MartinH
Racer

Luxembourg
Luxembourg
MartinH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Absolutely nothing to do with historics, but interesting to read what’s happening with new motors and the latest test procedures manufacturers are having to adopt when compiling emissions / fuel consumption figures. The new ‘WLTP’ tests are (perhaps not surprisingly), causing the VAG group in particular big problems. According to Autocar, you can’t order any new Porker at the moment until all the testing is done and rubber stamped, the current model Golf GTI is no longer on sale, and the Golf R has lost several horsepower in order to comply. (As has the similar engined Seat Leon Cupra R.) As for other makers, Peugeot are having to re-engineer their 308GTI, while Mercedes are keeping quiet about the whole issue.....

Mike 'hi there, I'm not at ALL a lover of the current emission rules, mainly as all manufacturers are conning the public (& gov'ts) by producing cars with ridiculously long gearing !! My 2016 S-max gives me around 8 L/100km around town & my old 2007 one gave me 6.7 !!! FFS !

When last in the UK (via Stansted) I rented a Toyota Aygo petrol, that did 35mph in 1st gear, 65 in 2nd & 89 in 3rd !!!! The other 2 gears are just for filling up the space in the g'box !! To get past anything that moved over on the M11, I had to use 3rd to get any type of acceleration.

The max I saw in 5th was an indicated 115mph (downhill of course) at less than 3800 or the 6000rpm available ..... This is SO stupid.

Yes, I am looking around for a good old model S-max, to replace my current guzzler !!

Martin
Old 9 Aug 2018, 15:36 (Ref:3842555)   #1590
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
...while Mercedes are keeping quiet about the whole issue.....

My Son-in-Law has, reportedly, just ordered an E-Class estate (not sure which engine - but 200 or 220) on a personal hire plan at what seems to be a remarkably good deal for a PF plan.

His 4 year BMW 5 series lease is about to end and a recent job change has added to his commute distance. One wonders if they are trying to shift production ahead of regulatory changes that will make them unsellable.

More impressively the engine output claims for the 200 is 150 bhp and the 220 185 (from memory), Yet with the 9 speed auto box the performance figures are better than my Saab Aero original specification despite it's solid and well proven turbo technology and 250 bhp.

It's not like the E-class is smaller or lighter so they must have come up with some very interesting ways of completely maxing the performance through the gearbox and traction and engine response/torque map to obtain those numbers.

Does anyone have any insights about how they have done it?
Old 9 Aug 2018, 15:59 (Ref:3842557)   #1591
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
My Son-in-Law has, reportedly, just ordered an E-Class estate (not sure which engine - but 200 or 220) on a personal hire plan at what seems to be a remarkably good deal for a PF plan.

His 4 year BMW 5 series lease is about to end and a recent job change has added to his commute distance. One wonders if they are trying to shift production ahead of regulatory changes that will make them unsellable.

More impressively the engine output claims for the 200 is 150 bhp and the 220 185 (from memory), Yet with the 9 speed auto box the performance figures are better than my Saab Aero original specification despite it's solid and well proven turbo technology and 250 bhp.

It's not like the E-class is smaller or lighter so they must have come up with some very interesting ways of completely maxing the performance through the gearbox and traction and engine response/torque map to obtain those numbers.

Does anyone have any insights about how they have done it?
Modern turbo diesels have spectacularly high torque figures, usually at low engine speeds, but often also come with narrow power bands. By carefluuy matching the engine to a multi-speed, electronically controlled transmission does enable them to keep the engine in the 'sweet spot' for optimum acceleration.
Old 9 Aug 2018, 16:12 (Ref:3842561)   #1592
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Modern turbo diesels have spectacularly high torque figures, usually at low engine speeds, but often also come with narrow power bands. By carefluuy matching the engine to a multi-speed, electronically controlled transmission does enable them to keep the engine in the 'sweet spot' for optimum acceleration.

Thanks Viva.

Even relatively modest cars seem to be adding a gear a year to their 'boxes.

We should probably expect that soon someone will invent something called continuously variable transmission (unless that has already been patented by the TV broadcasters ....)

Old 9 Aug 2018, 16:15 (Ref:3842564)   #1593
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Thanks Viva.

Even relatively modest cars seem to be adding a gear a year to their 'boxes.

We should probably expect that soon someone will invent something called continuously variable transmission (unless that has already been patented by the TV broadcasters ....)

Some would say that's a DAF(t) idea...
Old 9 Aug 2018, 16:34 (Ref:3842568)   #1594
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Boom boom
Old 9 Aug 2018, 17:13 (Ref:3842571)   #1595
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Is this a knock on from F1 technology? The F1 cars are remarkably efficient and of course have multiple semi automatic gears.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 9 Aug 2018, 17:18 (Ref:3842572)   #1596
Eric Falce
Veteran

United Kingdom
Orpington Kent
Eric Falce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Classic car chassis stamping

My Lotus Cortina is now with the painters and hopefully will soon be ready for assembly. What I need is the vin number restamped on the O/S top suspension strut. Does anyone offer this service as we have welded new suspension tops in and, yes as I was told today, I should have stamped them before I welded them in.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 9 Aug 2018, 17:40 (Ref:3842578)   #1597
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Falce View Post
My Lotus Cortina is now with the painters and hopefully will soon be ready for assembly. What I need is the vin number restamped on the O/S top suspension strut. Does anyone offer this service as we have welded new suspension tops in and, yes as I was told today, I should have stamped them before I welded them in.
When I needed the same on a Mk2 RS2000 I found a guy on eBay who had the correct stamps, but..... I had to send him the new strut reinforcing plate and the old one to copy. Guess the Lotus, being made in the UK and many years earlier, would need different stamps anyway? Might be a question for an owners club forum.....
Old 9 Aug 2018, 17:50 (Ref:3842581)   #1598
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Is this a knock on from F1 technology? The F1 cars are remarkably efficient and of course have multiple semi automatic gears.
I don’t think so. Think most F1 have seven speed boxes, but don’t have a torque converter....? As Viva says, likely more to do with getting lowest emissions figures- that’s what it’s all been about in the last few years, often at the expense of economy. 9 speed torque converter autos commonplace now, but dual clutch boxes don’t utilise so many ratios. Probably a packaging issue!
Old 9 Aug 2018, 21:25 (Ref:3842634)   #1599
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Or trucks?
Old 10 Aug 2018, 15:45 (Ref:3842811)   #1600
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Grant, dont you think the CVT transmission has already been used on town cars, like some Fiat or Ford? The double clutch thing is a copy of what Ferrari used on its F1 a decade or more ago, cleverly adapted by VW group (may be the first car was the Touran 2.0 TDI DSG, not sure).
Its funny to know how some selected people can spy the competition with a simple tape recorder placed along any pitlane…

As to the stamping man on eBay, seems he can copy any year stamps. He can either supply the reinforcing plate or stamp yours before welding of course. What a man did can be redone by another man!