Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 17 Aug 2018, 16:19 (Ref:3844277)   #3326
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
This is probably not the thread for this question but I did not see a PLM thread...

And chance Porsche will bring their un-resricted 919 Hybrid Evo to PLM as part of their tour with the car? Getting to see a demonstration lap or two would be worth the price of admission. Also, it would be interesting to see if they can break Peugeot's 2008 record.
Old 17 Aug 2018, 17:22 (Ref:3844294)   #3327
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Trying to imagine how you can modify a LMP2 car to look like a Ford. Changes to the front to make it look like the GT are obvious. I wonder if you can have some sort of bar that links the side by the fin to the side pods to have that look you see near the back of the GT. That open part on the top/side where the air goes through. Keeping the Ecoboost engine seems obvious too.
Old 17 Aug 2018, 18:01 (Ref:3844308)   #3328
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberMotor View Post
This is probably not the thread for this question but I did not see a PLM thread...

And chance Porsche will bring their un-resricted 919 Hybrid Evo to PLM as part of their tour with the car? Getting to see a demonstration lap or two would be worth the price of admission. Also, it would be interesting to see if they can break Peugeot's 2008 record.
I'm saying that's highly doubtful. They've advertised all of the stops they've done for the car on the website.

And... I just checked the website, https://www.919tribute.com/en/stops

I do not recall that October date being on there before. So.. who knows? Maybe. It'll already be in the States for Rennsport...

Which I am attending and counting the days until! (41)
Old 17 Aug 2018, 19:20 (Ref:3844338)   #3329
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
Trying to imagine how you can modify a LMP2 car to look like a Ford.

You could just follow the Cadillac method and not worry about it.
Old 18 Aug 2018, 01:10 (Ref:3844383)   #3330
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hey the Cadillac DPi looks like a Cadillac ....

.... DPi.
Old 18 Aug 2018, 13:37 (Ref:3844448)   #3331
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
You could just follow the Cadillac method and not worry about it.
Sounds good enough to me. Having Ford join the DPi ranks after they bring down the curtain on their GT effort would be huge for IMSA. Especially with the 'renewed French friction'...
Old 21 Aug 2018, 00:53 (Ref:3845101)   #3332
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
Sounds good enough to me. Having Ford join the DPi ranks after they bring down the curtain on their GT effort would be huge for IMSA. Especially with the 'renewed French friction'...
I've been very busy lately so have surely missed some of the late-breaking news.

What is this of which you speak of Ford 'bringing down the curtain on their GT effort' and the 'renewed French friction'?
Old 21 Aug 2018, 01:57 (Ref:3845105)   #3333
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberMotor View Post
I've been very busy lately so have surely missed some of the late-breaking news.

What is this of which you speak of Ford 'bringing down the curtain on their GT effort' and the 'renewed French friction'?
Believe they said they wouldn't continue the GTs after the current contract with CGR. I'm not sure the year but I think it's through 2020.

Think the renewed French hostility is just the usual DPi vs P2 balance. Some of that may be assuaged by the split classes, but there's still the ego of IMSA vs ACO in charge. I think the old ALMS and ACO partnership had gone the way of Dyson racing with the advent of the WEC. Think the best we'll see is the DPi idea continuing on ACO built chassis. And maybe a merger in the future with the rules but I'm not holding out hope for that any time soon.
Old 21 Aug 2018, 13:43 (Ref:3845208)   #3334
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Believe they said they wouldn't continue the GTs after the current contract with CGR. I'm not sure the year but I think it's through 2020.

Think the renewed French hostility is just the usual DPi vs P2 balance. Some of that may be assuaged by the split classes, but there's still the ego of IMSA vs ACO in charge. I think the old ALMS and ACO partnership had gone the way of Dyson racing with the advent of the WEC. Think the best we'll see is the DPi idea continuing on ACO built chassis. And maybe a merger in the future with the rules but I'm not holding out hope for that any time soon.
Thanks. Sounds like the SOS. Ford DPi would be cool but I would hate to see the GT disappear. I think they are already 2/3 of the way to a DPi with their current GT design.
Old 21 Aug 2018, 16:55 (Ref:3845240)   #3335
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
It seems there's a certain slant in some media (funny that) towards Ford being gung ho about dpi. But the actual quotes are more of the same talk they have been saying since posed the dpi question. We shall see. There looks to be likelihood of the Nissan dpi continuing on though at least.
Old 22 Aug 2018, 00:21 (Ref:3845300)   #3336
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
It seems there's a certain slant in some media (funny that) towards Ford being gung ho about dpi. But the actual quotes are more of the same talk they have been saying since posed the dpi question. We shall see. There looks to be likelihood of the Nissan dpi continuing on though at least.
Or at the very least Onroak trying their absolute best to sell more of the kits and get multiple partners pitching in on the race fees. I'm not being critical of the effort at all, think it is in their best interest to push for more and sell more cars or at the very least spares. I think if we see United come to run IMSA again it would be a Nissan DPi program but it didn't feel like they are ready or willing for 2019.

Yeah, the Ford rumors seem to be the usual stretching a non-denial in to a we're working on it. I would not be surprised to see them roll out a Mustangish car after the GT program wraps up. But I'm not holding my breath waiting for it. Then again how long have we all said 'yeah, sure, they've said that before' to the mid engine Vette program. Well it looks like that is closer to a sad sad reality, without the rumble they're just another mid engine car, and at LM especially.
Old 22 Aug 2018, 14:48 (Ref:3845392)   #3337
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
JCDC-Jota exploring DPi option + more 'gossip' for Rolex:

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2018/0...-24-hours.html

Is that IMSA "Florida 36H + travel package" still available?
Old 22 Dec 2018, 00:30 (Ref:3871904)   #3338
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Gdrive looking at making their own dpi for 2020

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2018/1...programme.html

Dsc points to the irony of a Russian backed entry potentially entering in a us presidential race year.

The car would be the Gibson P1 rebadged.
Old 22 Dec 2018, 00:52 (Ref:3871908)   #3339
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post

Dsc points to the irony of a Russian backed entry potentially entering in a us presidential race year.

WHOA! That is out of left field. Seems like this would aim at ACO realm instead, but things aren't really normal these days, so this makes sense I guess.
Old 22 Dec 2018, 02:45 (Ref:3871915)   #3340
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/d...ease-for-2019/

"All LMP2 cars gain 10kg of minimum weight, along with a reduction in maximum RPMs compared to this year’s Rolex 24 at Daytona"

Question: Does this mean the Gibson based LMP2 class will probably lap Daytona in 2019 at the pace of the 2014-2016 LMP2 configuration cars now?
Old 22 Dec 2018, 12:18 (Ref:3871964)   #3341
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:

"All LMP2 cars gain 10kg of minimum weight, along with a reduction in maximum RPMs compared to this year’s Rolex 24 at Daytona"

Question: Does this mean the Gibson based LMP2 class will probably lap Daytona in 2019 at the pace of the 2014-2016 LMP2 configuration cars now?
Not likely at Daytona, at least. 10kg is very little in the big picture, and they'd have to restrict the revs rather significantly to overcome the reduced drag of the narrower body.
Old 22 Dec 2018, 12:20 (Ref:3871965)   #3342
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
I'm guessing the much better tires will help that.
Old 22 Dec 2018, 14:50 (Ref:3871975)   #3343
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
Not likely at Daytona, at least. 10kg is very little in the big picture, and they'd have to restrict the revs rather significantly to overcome the reduced drag of the narrower body.
yes, i see the changes to LMP2's as meant to slightly slow acceleration and slightly reduce the top speed on the banking. Small measures but that may be the difference needed to get the DPi cars past them on the straights. And thus far, these changes will only be for Daytona. They may be more, or less, restricted once the rest of the season begins.
Old 22 Dec 2018, 15:04 (Ref:3871978)   #3344
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

as far I know, WEC lmp2 redline is @9200rpm.
Considering that gibson is a mid-sized NA high-rev engine with max power reached close to revlimiter, drop down to 8200rpm it means a considerable power loss. If you ask me 550hp is now max power.
Nissan old gen lmp2 output was about 500-520hp.

It's symbolical....
no more ACO lmp2 leading IMSA DPi....
Old 22 Dec 2018, 20:16 (Ref:3872013)   #3345
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by canaglia View Post
It's symbolical....
no more ACO lmp2 leading IMSA DPi....
it's class warfare!

Daytona always gets its own set of regs to account for the banking. Also, nobody wants to see too much slow traffic as the fastest cars reach the end of the oval and try to weave their way into the infield. That corner is reserved for intra-class contact.
Old 23 Dec 2018, 14:26 (Ref:3872106)   #3346
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

Lol so you might have 3 Oreca 07s rebadged differently in 2020 in this series

"Acura" Oreca 07 LMP2-DPI
"TBA Russian" Oreca 07 LMP2-DPI
"Stock" Oreca 07 LMP2

Hughes de Chaunac is smiling...
Old 23 Dec 2018, 14:41 (Ref:3872112)   #3347
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Lol so you might have 3 Oreca 07s rebadged differently in 2020 in this series

"Acura" Oreca 07 LMP2-DPI
"TBA Russian" Oreca 07 LMP2-DPI
"Stock" Oreca 07 LMP2

Hughes de Chaunac is smiling...
Yes! But i really don't see this project coming to fruition. Why would someone pay to run a car i the US with a Russian car company branding. There aren't any Russian cars sold here, so what is the point? That being said, if they do show up I'll cheer for them.
Old 23 Dec 2018, 14:57 (Ref:3872115)   #3348
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agree, remember 4 years ago g-drive announced they were going to use a super/hypercar engine for their lmp2 ligier.... but actually they kept on using nissan and switched for oreca.
Can privates build their own lmp2 based car and homologate it as dpi? even without any manufacturer involvment?
Old 23 Dec 2018, 15:01 (Ref:3872116)   #3349
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Yes! But i really don't see this project coming to fruition. Why would someone pay to run a car i the US with a Russian car company branding. There aren't any Russian cars sold here, so what is the point? That being said, if they do show up I'll cheer for them.
It's so cheap and easy for "OEM" to have their name there so I think it's more of a case of "why not?... look at "Nissan" who probably don't even remember they have been competing in this category for years now, even when they entered the series had to specifically demand at least something needed to be added to the spec Onroak chassis they chose to rebrand

And Zytek is more than glad to supply LMP1/2 engines to everyone in the world of course... Their conveyor belts must be gigantic by now
Old 23 Dec 2018, 15:08 (Ref:3872119)   #3350
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by canaglia View Post
Agree, remember 4 years ago g-drive announced they were going to use a super/hypercar engine for their lmp2 ligier.... but actually they kept on using nissan and switched for oreca.
Can privates build their own lmp2 based car and homologate it as dpi? even without any manufacturer involvment?
I think there has to be an OEM involved in the project in some way. What that means exactly isn't clear, but as long as somebody pays the IMSA fee the series is good with about anything.