Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 28 Sep 2018, 16:34 (Ref:3853161)   #3926
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not sure it's a good idea but does anyone think there's any likelihood Carlin's 2nd/3rd cars will be the McLaren entries? I just wonder if there's a historic connection between the teams with them bringing Lando Norris through to F1

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 28 Sep 2018, 16:41 (Ref:3853162)   #3927
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery View Post
I'm not sure it's a good idea but does anyone think there's any likelihood Carlin's 2nd/3rd cars will be the McLaren entries? I just wonder if there's a historic connection between the teams with them bringing Lando Norris through to F1

I think if McLaren brings them enough cash they'll accept them with open arms. The press around the 2nd and 3rd car seems to be bring money and we'll provide the car so anything is possible
Old 28 Sep 2018, 17:30 (Ref:3853166)   #3928
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery View Post

Carlin used Chevy last season and I would have thought McLaren would have preferred a team using Honda engines. Though having said that, Honda and McLaren aren't exactly best of friends anymore.
Old 28 Sep 2018, 19:03 (Ref:3853171)   #3929
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Rosenqvist signs with Ganassi for 2019.

http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/139017
Old 30 Sep 2018, 13:55 (Ref:3853491)   #3930
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
So does a Harding/McLaren combination, with either 2 or 3 cars, one for Alonso, one or maybe two for herta and o'ward not make a lot of sense? Still a loose tie in with andretti too.

IndyCar could be a great landing spot for Ocon, and if he and Alonso are in indycar next year, the grid is incredible. Over ten deep in championship caliber drivers. (Might be without them, too fwiw).
Old 30 Sep 2018, 14:01 (Ref:3853493)   #3931
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I've been following motorsport for decades, I know how it is done and it's the same, whether it's F1, IndyCar or NASCAR. I don't see what's so confusing about what I said, regarding his race career? His career record doesn't warrant the seat but we all know he is there because of the Andretti name and the money that it brings.

The history of motorsport is riddled with drivers who didn't deserve the drive they got, due to a lack of skill but they brought money with them and that's why they got the drive.
Quote:
Marco Andretti has signed a contract extension with Andretti-Herta Autosport for his 14th season and beyond.

TBH, I don't quite understand why he is still there? He's had two wins in his IndyCar career, his last was at the 2011 Iowa Corn Indy 250. His best result since then was 3rd at Fontana in 2016 and his best season finish was 5th in 2013.

https://racer.com/2018/08/16/marco-t...ndretti-herta/
I am late to the thread, but the bolded is what is so confusing. If we all know why he is there, then why did you say/ask about why he was still there?

Marco ain't all that bad. Just that the championship caliber drivers goes about 10 deep, so top ten in points is really an accomplishment, though it is only midfield.
Old 30 Sep 2018, 14:03 (Ref:3853494)   #3932
RWill2073
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstets View Post
Yes it does.

I'm ambivalent about double points for both races. It seems to say that we must have drama from start to finish in order to maintain interest in the series. The racing is great. I'm going to watch the last race even if the championship is decided two races previous. I doubt there are but a handful of people who are going to watch the last race to see who wins the championship, that wouldn't be watching just to see who wins the race.
I just view the double points in the last race as keeping with other sports having a playoff. This is the racing equivalent of a playoff.
Old 30 Sep 2018, 14:06 (Ref:3853497)   #3933
RWill2073
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
It will be interesting to read Robin Miller's roundup and mailbag tomorrow and see what news he can hint at for next season. Think a new engine builder would be a year away if they started now, it's not a hard thing to build I think but I'm guessing they would want time to build, dyno test, in car test and sign teams. But then they do have 6 months to do all that before St Pete.
Quote:
A 3rd engine manufacturer needs to commit by May 2019.
He was talking about a manufacturer being entered for 2019, I think that is pretty clear. So a 3rd manufacturer would have to commit long before may 2019 for a season that starts in march 2019.
Old 30 Sep 2018, 14:29 (Ref:3853505)   #3934
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWill2073 View Post
I am late to the thread, but the bolded is what is so confusing. If we all know why he is there, then why did you say/ask about why he was still there?

Marco ain't all that bad. Just that the championship caliber drivers goes about 10 deep, so top ten in points is really an accomplishment, though it is only midfield.
I asked because of his career results, which are right next to my question that you put in bold type.
Old 30 Sep 2018, 14:35 (Ref:3853509)   #3935
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWill2073 View Post
He was talking about a manufacturer being entered for 2019, I think that is pretty clear. So a 3rd manufacturer would have to commit long before may 2019 for a season that starts in march 2019.
That's the latest a new manufacturer can commit to IndyCar, before implementing the next generation of engines.

https://www.autosport.com/indycar/ne...-commit-by-may
Old 1 Oct 2018, 14:32 (Ref:3853839)   #3936
Formulahistory
Veteran

Formulahistory should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There won't be a third manufacture. Who should that be?
Old 1 Oct 2018, 14:49 (Ref:3853844)   #3937
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulahistory View Post
There won't be a third manufacture. Who should that be?
I don't think anyone knows who should it be at this juncture, not even Mike Miles and Jay Frye.
Old 3 Oct 2018, 18:17 (Ref:3854355)   #3938
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Looks like Ferrucci will get the other Coyne seat.

https://racer.com/2018/10/01/ferrucc...-seat-in-2019/
Old 4 Oct 2018, 07:16 (Ref:3854455)   #3939
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Not sure that will go down well with some
Old 4 Oct 2018, 14:03 (Ref:3854521)   #3940
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
IndyCar executives Stephen Starks and Tony Cotman came to Punta del Este to meet Fernando Cáceres Hernández (TC2000 / Formula E race promoter) and his son Juan Ignacio "Fufy" Cáceres (Champ Car one-timer), as well as Enrique Ant?*a (Maldonado governor and presidential candidate).

https://motormario.com/tic-tac-tic-b...dycar-en-punta
Old 4 Oct 2018, 15:33 (Ref:3854540)   #3941
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
IndyCar executives Stephen Starks and Tony Cotman came to Punta del Este to meet Fernando Cáceres Hernández (TC2000 / Formula E race promoter) and his son Juan Ignacio "Fufy" Cáceres (Champ Car one-timer), as well as Enrique Ant?*a (Maldonado governor and presidential candidate).

https://motormario.com/tic-tac-tic-b...dycar-en-punta
Formula E races there, so they've gone down for a bit of sniff. Who knows, it could become Uruguay's version of Surfers Paradise.
Old 4 Oct 2018, 15:34 (Ref:3854541)   #3942
Obizzz
Racer

Sweden
Sweden
Obizzz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
https://racer.com/2018/10/04/ericsso...-indycar-ride/

Two Swedes in Indycar next year?
Old 4 Oct 2018, 17:07 (Ref:3854546)   #3943
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Seems more and more F1 drivers are considering making a switch across the pond. Must be the Alonso effect
Old 4 Oct 2018, 17:56 (Ref:3854548)   #3944
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Seems more and more F1 drivers are considering making a switch across the pond. Must be the Alonso effect
Possibly, though more likely due to only 11 teams in F1 and therefore a limited number of seats. Next season IndyCar could potentially host a 26 car field, next season.

It's also cheaper for a team to set up and go IndyCar racing than racing in F1 and there isn't the stringent criteria required by F1.

From a driver's point of view, there will be allure of the Indy 500, plus iconic US tracks like Laguna Seca, Mid-Ohio and Road America, which haven't been butchered to meet F1'a requirements.
Old 4 Oct 2018, 20:24 (Ref:3854558)   #3945
S griffin
Veteran

And also there’s no need for DRS in indycar, it has close racing throughout
Old 5 Oct 2018, 00:12 (Ref:3854582)   #3946
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
And also there’s no need for DRS in indycar, it has close racing throughout
There is P2P but both drivers can use it and it's limited.
Old 5 Oct 2018, 13:42 (Ref:3854685)   #3947
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
The Maldonado governor has made some wild claims: IndyCar hasn't raced outside United States over 30 years, and the race will be held in early 2019. Par for the course.
Old 5 Oct 2018, 14:29 (Ref:3854700)   #3948
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
The Maldonado governor has made some wild claims: IndyCar hasn't raced outside United States over 30 years, and the race will be held in early 2019. Par for the course.
IndyCar still race in Canada. However the last race outside North America was the 2011 Indy Japan 300, at Motegi, which was won by Scott Dixon.
Old 5 Oct 2018, 20:52 (Ref:3854762)   #3949
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Actually, the São Paulo Indy 300 was last held in 2013.
Old 6 Oct 2018, 00:12 (Ref:3854777)   #3950
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Actually, the São Paulo Indy 300 was last held in 2013.
Ooops...