Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 17 Oct 2018, 10:05 (Ref:3857247)   #5951
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McQ View Post
God damn it. Why shitty F1 ideas always have to come all the way down to endurance. Pit-stops, and now single tire supplier ? What's next ? 300 km races ? This is a good idea to reduce costs no ?
What this tyre supplier idea has to do with F1? I can't even name another sports car series besides Super GT with open tyre development (and besides GTLM in IMSA).

This single-supplier tyre idea must be an additional way to close the gap between privateers and OEMs. Currently big issue is that the LMP1 tyres by Michelin are designed for AWD/hybrid use and the front tyres are unsuitable for LMP1-Ls. With all the cars becoming the same in this sense this wouldn't be an issue in the future, but if tyre development remained open, the OEMs could still pay more and get better and exclusive compounds, and with all other performance areas so restricted, it could become even the biggest differentiator.
Old 17 Oct 2018, 11:06 (Ref:3857256)   #5952
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing how different manufacturers handle the engine matter. Limited power, but open engine architecture and apparently no regulation on torque or revs. Engine tuning to find the ideal rev range to use that 700HP effectively is gonna produce a wide variety of engines, and the lower power(and front-drive-only) nature of the hybrid will also bring the amount of torque you can get out of the ICE back into play - that was Audi's big performance advantage when they first brought in the diesel, and the advent of (nearly)unrestricted hybrids brought an end to that advantage. It'll be nice to see that come back.
Old 17 Oct 2018, 11:14 (Ref:3857260)   #5953
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This from DSC is well worth a read - http://www.dailysportscar.com/2018/1...gulations.html
Old 17 Oct 2018, 11:57 (Ref:3857266)   #5954
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjones View Post
This from DSC is well worth a read - http://www.dailysportscar.com/2018/1...gulations.html
lol 3.24-3.25 taget lap time?
hope they're talking about racetrim pace, do they forget that this year lmp2 pole was 3.24.8?

a 700hp+270hp powered car running so slow at le mans?
basically 0 downforce.
Old 17 Oct 2018, 12:12 (Ref:3857268)   #5955
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by canaglia View Post
lol 3.24-3.25 taget lap time?
hope they're talking about racetrim pace, do they forget that this year lmp2 pole was 3.24.8?

a 700hp+270hp powered car running so slow at le mans?
basically 0 downforce.
They said in the article that lmp2 will be slowed down and it will be better for the class.
Old 17 Oct 2018, 12:22 (Ref:3857270)   #5956
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
They said in the article that lmp2 will be slowed down and it will be better for the class.
Yeah read that; likely lmp2 cars will lose 50hp at least and gain some kg for sure; it's sad but is not a big problem.
A >900hp prototype lapping so slow at le mans means that new cars will have an awful amount of downforce.
2007 diesels had about 700hp and pole was in 3.26.

More than 10 years of aero development to throw in the bin
Old 17 Oct 2018, 12:31 (Ref:3857271)   #5957
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by canaglia View Post
Yeah read that; likely lmp2 cars will lose 50hp at least and gain some kg for sure; it's sad but is not a big problem.
A >900hp prototype lapping so slow at le mans means that new cars will have an awful amount of downforce.
2007 diesels had about 700hp and pole was in 3.26.

More than 10 years of aero development to throw in the bin
The one benefit I see is that low downforce and high power could make the cars look a bit more "lively" on the track and not so planted and on-rails like the current ones.
Old 17 Oct 2018, 13:13 (Ref:3857276)   #5958
Steve McQ
Racer

France
Steve McQ should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSteve McQ should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSteve McQ should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
They should cut 100-120 bhp and 25-50 kg on the P2, and increase their fuel tank capacity. 35 minutes a stint is really too short for an endurance race car.

Oh wait...
Old 17 Oct 2018, 14:06 (Ref:3857289)   #5959
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
The ACO/WEC is really trying to find a delicate balance here — a formula that appeals to manufacturers, niche constructors, and privateers. That they’re now talking about even lower costs (20 million euros instead of the previous 25 million euros listed earlier for a manufacturer) while still not being able to get IMSA on board is significant. Sound like there were serious cost concerns among the ACO/WEC’s target market at the higher amount.

And I wonder whether if even at the lower amount the hypercar forumla is sustainable for niche constructors and privateers — 20 million euro or 16 million euro is a lot of money for those companies/teams.

I find really strange Graham Goodwin’s point that slowing down LMP2s would (significantly) help the LMP2 marketplace. The limit on the ACO/WEC ecosystem ultimately is the number of spots on the grid at Le Mans. Having a less-powerful LMP2 presumably reduces costs and you could argue helps sales — but only if you have someplace to race.

If the hypercar concept succeeds, that leaves less spots for LMP2s at Le Mans and on the WEC grid. Unless the long-term idea is to replace GTE with hypercars…
Old 17 Oct 2018, 14:34 (Ref:3857298)   #5960
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
16m to do lap times the same as with 3m now. Sounds like a great sell for privateers.
Old 17 Oct 2018, 15:49 (Ref:3857311)   #5961
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

EffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsedEffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMightyM View Post
I find really strange Graham Goodwin’s point that slowing down LMP2s would (significantly) help the LMP2 marketplace. The limit on the ACO/WEC ecosystem ultimately is the number of spots on the grid at Le Mans. Having a less-powerful LMP2 presumably reduces costs and you could argue helps sales — but only if you have someplace to race.
I think he implies that just slowing down the Oreca would be enough, thereby persuading people to consider other chassis...
Old 17 Oct 2018, 15:57 (Ref:3857313)   #5962
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

EffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsedEffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsed
Also that 3:25 is clearly bullshit. Anybody remember the 3:30 target that the hybrid cars were aimed at? These cars will undoubtedly go faster than 3:20.

I don't like all the restrictions, especially the stupid ones on testing etc. Cost control is stupid and they're stupid for trying it but apparently it's needed for people to show up.

I don't mind most other things, although I'm iffy on limiting ERS performance and limiting aero development (another thing that's never going to work). I do like that they finally embraced the idea of forcing manufacturers to sell the hybrid systems for 2 million a pop. It seems to me with that rule in place further restrictions on hybrid systems are rather pointless and should be let go.

Also no mention of active aerodynamics, which was one of the things I really liked about the first batch of regulations put out. I wonder where it went?
Old 17 Oct 2018, 16:01 (Ref:3857314)   #5963
canaglia
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMightyM View Post
The ACO/WEC is really trying to find a delicate balance here — a formula that appeals to manufacturers, niche constructors, and privateers. That they’re now talking about even lower costs (20 million euros instead of the previous 25 million euros listed earlier for a manufacturer) while still not being able to get IMSA on board is significant. Sound like there were serious cost concerns among the ACO/WEC’s target market at the higher amount.

And I wonder whether if even at the lower amount the hypercar forumla is sustainable for niche constructors and privateers — 20 million euro or 16 million euro is a lot of money for those companies/teams.

If the hypercar concept succeeds, that leaves less spots for LMP2s at Le Mans and on the WEC grid. Unless the long-term idea is to replace GTE with hypercars…

It does exist indeed.... it's called DPi

just take a lmp2 spec carbon tub, build a hypercar look bodywork around the way mazda did, fit inside a 650hp turbo or big NA, bespoke or road derived. Take a standard kers as base and let some development room.
Old 17 Oct 2018, 16:04 (Ref:3857315)   #5964
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

But DPi sucks.
Old 17 Oct 2018, 16:05 (Ref:3857316)   #5965
canaglia
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EffectiveSprinkles View Post
But DPi sucks.

Disagree, IMHO IMSA has been the best sportscar series in last 2 seasons.
Old 17 Oct 2018, 16:08 (Ref:3857317)   #5966
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EffectiveSprinkles View Post
Also no mention of active aerodynamics, which was one of the things I really liked about the first batch of regulations put out. I wonder where it went?
Presumably a victim of the ACO/WEC’s desire to further limit cost.
Old 17 Oct 2018, 16:20 (Ref:3857322)   #5967
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

I'll definitely need to ask Graham about that. Does he work like Beetlejuice or how do we summon him?
Old 17 Oct 2018, 16:22 (Ref:3857323)   #5968
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
€16m budget for privateers.

"lmao"

Edit: Sharing of pit crews mean we are definitely not going back to the old/better pit stop format of fuel and tyres separately. It'd take far too long with stacked cars.
Old 17 Oct 2018, 16:25 (Ref:3857325)   #5969
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

What's funny about that? Does anyone know Rebellion's budget for this season?
Old 17 Oct 2018, 16:44 (Ref:3857328)   #5970
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
Slower LMP2's upside is that the cars are considered too fast for genuine Am drivers at the moment, I imagine.
Old 17 Oct 2018, 16:46 (Ref:3857329)   #5971
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The budget for a WEC LMP2 team is said to be €5-6m (around €1m higher than ELMS). If the jump from one class to another is to triple the budget, whilst dropping the silver driver requirement (which often brings in money), in a series where sponsorship isn't a big payer due to limited viewers (outside of Le Mans), then that's not going to end well.

Even if Rebellion are scraping around the €16m mark, that's the top team. And if you aim your new budgets at the top teams, then where does that leave everyone else? Outside of F1 and maybe Ganassi and Penske IndyCar teams (which are almost semi-works and have budgets of approx $15m a year), no privateer teams are running budgets that high.

Edit: Also, the reason LMP2s got sped up is that they were too close the GTE cars in speed. That meant that LMP2 drivers were having to dive-bomb into braking areas. If we cut the speed of the LMP2s, we reintroduce that problem. And that was over the speeds of the pre-evo GTE cars. I'm not sure slowing LMP2 is a particularly good idea.

A good idea is forced commercial hybrids. That's been suggested a lot on here (and in the F1 forum) for a few years.
Old 17 Oct 2018, 17:55 (Ref:3857341)   #5972
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
The thing is the rules limit development so you get what you get and that's that for the duration of the rules. No reason to do excessive development and redesigns. So it's like an lmp2 in that sense. You make or purchase your car and it's within this performance window then you're set.

There's things about this set of rules so far that seriously turn me off. First is a nearly spec tire. This seems obvious to me that the ACO are helping their French countrymen, Michelin even more with a stranglehold on the class/sport. This is not the right way to go. I think two tire manufacturers are a better idea and leave it up to teams to make the choice. The second is the targeted lap time of 3:24-3:25. If that's race pace, fine. But if it's ultimate pace as in qualifying and fastest laps, it's too slow and it'll back up lmp2 more into GTE which needs to go faster imo. They just sped up lmp2 to slow them back down. Third thing is this insistence on using hybrids for EVERYONE. Then on top of it the hybrids will mostly be the exact same; battery powered, fwd only, limited output.

The reason I watch lmp1 over DPi is because the development and the freedom. Of everything F1 gets wrong, it at least has that part right. The saving grace for this new class for me so far is MAYBE we get cool looking cars and different engine types. With that hopefully it brings back unique sounds instead of the same muted turbo buzz we hear now.
Old 17 Oct 2018, 18:43 (Ref:3857345)   #5973
GasperG
Veteran

Slovenia
GasperG has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I don't like the fact that ICE power is 700 HP and hybrid 270 HP, I would call this a "soft" hybrid. Why not keep the almost 50:50 power split that Toyota and Porsche were running, the massive electric boost was making a big difference and was definitely good to see from a spectator point of view.
Old 17 Oct 2018, 18:52 (Ref:3857346)   #5974
Tique
Racer

France
Paris
Tique should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
3.24-3.25 for 20M€ is a kind of joke. Today, the LMP2 are close to this for 5-6M€. Why spending such money for the same result ?
I am affraid that the IMSA is right by not following the ACO.
And I am affraid that we will not see a lot of people signing for this...
Old 17 Oct 2018, 19:10 (Ref:3857347)   #5975
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
The thing is the rules limit development so you get what you get and that's that for the duration of the rules. No reason to do excessive development and redesigns. So it's like an lmp2 in that sense. You make or purchase your car and it's within this performance window then you're set.

There's things about this set of rules so far that seriously turn me off. First is a nearly spec tire. This seems obvious to me that the ACO are helping their French countrymen, Michelin even more with a stranglehold on the class/sport. This is not the right way to go. I think two tire manufacturers are a better idea and leave it up to teams to make the choice. The second is the targeted lap time of 3:24-3:25. If that's race pace, fine. But if it's ultimate pace as in qualifying and fastest laps, it's too slow and it'll back up lmp2 more into GTE which needs to go faster imo. They just sped up lmp2 to slow them back down. Third thing is this insistence on using hybrids for EVERYONE. Then on top of it the hybrids will mostly be the exact same; battery powered, fwd only, limited output.

The reason I watch lmp1 over DPi is because the development and the freedom. Of everything F1 gets wrong, it at least has that part right. The saving grace for this new class for me so far is MAYBE we get cool looking cars and different engine types. With that hopefully it brings back unique sounds instead of the same muted turbo buzz we hear now.
Although I don't mind DPi as much as you, I agree with this. Limited development...ok, but high privateer costs to go with it. Spec tyre, and we all know which brand that will be. Slower cars, which backs up the classes and brings back the same problem. Same solution for everyone. Add the bad pit stop regulations to the top of this and it's all a bit meh.

Single pit stop crews for all races except Le Mans. That's a lot of temporary pit crews for one race.

And of course IMSA won't follow this - the costs are still a lot higher than the current DPis, which is working well for them.