Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 Oct 2018, 07:39 (Ref:3854823)   #1501
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Solid backmarker qualifying from the current-spec McLaren anyhow! Nice steady run to P 18 and P 19, and within 107%.
Old 6 Oct 2018, 08:21 (Ref:3854835)   #1502
loon
Racer

loon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridloon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
Solid backmarker qualifying from the current-spec McLaren anyhow! Nice steady run to P 18 and P 19, and within 107%.
and look at those crap Honda engines !!
Old 6 Oct 2018, 14:29 (Ref:3854903)   #1503
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by loon View Post
and look at those crap Honda engines !!
Now STR have finally got decent grid positions, let's see how well those crap Honda engines do in the actual race.
Old 6 Oct 2018, 16:34 (Ref:3854930)   #1504
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
You would imagine they were on warp factor 10 Mr Zulu as Honda so wanted to be in Q3, so as you say let's see if they last in the race.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Now STR have finally got decent grid positions, let's see how well those crap Honda engines do in the actual race.
Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
Old 6 Oct 2018, 16:36 (Ref:3854932)   #1505
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

EffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsedEffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Gasly qualified 9th in Monza and finished last. That's something to keep in mind.
Old 6 Oct 2018, 16:43 (Ref:3854936)   #1506
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
You would imagine they were on warp factor 10 Mr Zulu as Honda so wanted to be in Q3, so as you say let's see if they last in the race.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
Mr Sulu, but yes, it’s a good point.
Old 6 Oct 2018, 20:50 (Ref:3854993)   #1507
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I remember Toyota always used to have their cars high up on the grid in Japan. The only time it translated into a podium was in 09
Old 7 Oct 2018, 10:52 (Ref:3855157)   #1508
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I remember Toyota always used to have their cars high up on the grid in Japan. The only time it translated into a podium was in 09
Speaking of Toyota, why don't McLaren enter LMP1? Especially under the new hypercar rules. It should be easier than F1.
Old 7 Oct 2018, 14:23 (Ref:3855221)   #1509
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Maybe they should, would be good to see another manufacturer challenging Toyota
Old 7 Oct 2018, 14:57 (Ref:3855247)   #1510
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Maybe they should, would be good to see another manufacturer challenging Toyota
Alonso's won Le Mans, so no need for McLaren to go LMP1 racing as far as that's concerned, unless going down that route can bring back some kudos and competitiveness as a race car manufacturer.
Old 8 Oct 2018, 10:27 (Ref:3855383)   #1511
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Alonso's won Le Mans, so no need for McLaren to go LMP1 racing as far as that's concerned, unless going down that route can bring back some kudos and competitiveness as a race car manufacturer.
I think McLaren needs to focus all their efforts in F1, or drop F1 and move to another category.
Old 8 Oct 2018, 14:26 (Ref:3855443)   #1512
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
I think McLaren needs to focus all their efforts in F1, or drop F1 and move to another category.
You're right they do. However, I've seen so many top teams in F1 over the years, who through one reason or another, slip down the field and never regain their competitiveness and status. Williams are a good example, the exception is Ferrari.

What other category would/could McLaren realistically move to?
Old 8 Oct 2018, 16:09 (Ref:3855462)   #1513
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Given its CanAm roots and 90s win at Le Mans, going sports car racing would make huge sense from a publicity point of view before their F1 heritage is completely lost.

With their success as a low volume car manufacturer, there should be transferrable skills in the racing car market.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 8 Oct 2018, 21:23 (Ref:3855529)   #1514
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Given its CanAm roots and 90s win at Le Mans, going sports car racing would make huge sense from a publicity point of view before their F1 heritage is completely lost.
I see and agree with both statements at the same time (if that is possible). I think a key question is if McLaren know what their problems are. It could be that they do lack focus, so taking on something else might be the wrong thing. Or it could be that focus is not the problem, but staffing or something else like organizational structure and culture. In that case, something else might not be a distraction.

I think if done correctly... They could do both. Both get their act together with respect to F1 and participate in another large series. But it clearly would be large jobs for both (hence the acknowledgement that maybe focus on one is the right thing to do). But I think the brand would be improved if they were more than just F1 (from a racing perspective).

Richard
Old 9 Oct 2018, 01:21 (Ref:3855552)   #1515
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Or it could be that focus is not the problem, but staffing or something else like organizational structure and culture. In that case, something else might not be a distraction.
Their current F1 car is full of radical aerodynamic & chassis ideas that don't work properly. I think the first step, in F1, is to develop a conventional car that follows the philosophies of the top cars.

A solid base to steadily close the gap to the top teams. While innovation like F-duct worked for McLaren in the past, I think now they should concentrate on basics and efficient use of resources on fundamental design improvements (instead of radical ideas that may not add worthwhile performance) --- such an approach works well for Force India.

It may be a good idea for Mclaren to purchase Renault gearbox and rear suspension to reduce unnecessary costs and increase budget available for aero and chassis development.

Hopefully any LMP1 or LMP2 car that McLaren design would be created from first principles and not try to be too clever!
Old 9 Oct 2018, 17:18 (Ref:3855722)   #1516
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Or they could just rebadge an Oreca like Renault (sorry, Alpine....)
Old 18 Oct 2018, 17:30 (Ref:3857593)   #1517
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Mclaren set to get what i would imagine is a much needed cash infusion via a new sponsorship deal with Coca-Cola for the remainder of the year.

the article suggests that there are options to extend if the deal proves beneficial.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/c...laren/3197157/

a bit surprising as i thought Coca Cola had sold its energy drink interests over to Monster a few years ago.

also interesting (well maybe more interesting to Canadians as legalization of marijuana just came into effect yesterday) is that Coca Cola are apparently making big investments in cannabis infused beverages...which i imagine will be the next big thing in drinks that you really shouldn't drink.

which i suppose makes F1 a perfect space to advertise in!
Old 18 Oct 2018, 17:51 (Ref:3857596)   #1518
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
Mclaren set to get what i would imagine is a much needed cash infusion via a new sponsorship deal with Coca-Cola for the remainder of the year.

the article suggests that there are options to extend if the deal proves beneficial.

a bit surprising as i thought Coca Cola had sold its energy drink interests over to Monster a few years ago.

also interesting (well maybe more interesting to Canadians as legalization of marijuana just came into effect yesterday) is that Coca Cola are apparently making big investments in cannabis infused beverages...which i imagine will be the next big thing in drinks that you really shouldn't drink.

Coca-Cola bought a stake in Monster in 2014, in order to expand Coke's energy drinks market. In exchange, Monster transferred ownership of its Natural Soda range to Coke.
Old 19 Oct 2018, 02:07 (Ref:3857657)   #1519
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That's cool! Coke rarely-to-never puts their own name on cars, usually only on drivers or they use sub-brands, so that's interesting.
Old 19 Oct 2018, 06:10 (Ref:3857674)   #1520
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post

I was kinda hoping McLaren would be painting their cars red & white...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 19 Oct 2018, 07:17 (Ref:3857683)   #1521
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
I was kinda hoping McLaren would be painting their cars red & white...
Like the ex Max Stewart Darcy Russel owned (maybe Darcy has sold it on now but he had it for a number of years) Coca Cola Lola F5000.....

Old 19 Oct 2018, 23:57 (Ref:3857838)   #1522
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Like the ex Max Stewart Darcy Russel owned (maybe Darcy has sold it on now but he had it for a number of years) Coca Cola Lola F5000.....

Nice

Or The Wayne at Le Mans 1998...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 20 Oct 2018, 00:45 (Ref:3857846)   #1523
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
McLaren aren't doing IndyCar next year, not full time, what ever that means.

http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/139498

BTW, I did this Coca-Cola skin for an rFactor mod.

Old 20 Oct 2018, 13:46 (Ref:3857928)   #1524
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
McLaren aren't doing IndyCar next year, not full time, what ever that means.

http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/139498

BTW, I did this Coca-Cola skin for an rFactor mod.

lol, CART Factor. That's a blast from the past. I did all the original skins for that (bar the Penskes).

Nice to see Coca Cola on a car but that's a really small commitment down there.
Old 20 Oct 2018, 18:55 (Ref:3857963)   #1525
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
lol, CART Factor. That's a blast from the past. I did all the original skins for that (bar the Penskes).

Nice to see Coca Cola on a car but that's a really small commitment down there.
Blimey! It was an excellent mod. I still play it every so often. It will be interesting to see what McLaren's livery is going to look like.