Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 Nov 2018, 22:13 (Ref:3863179)   #576
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
I had not seen this post BJ, and still can't see the video.

The regulations that the FIA / FOM make never seem to be coordinated, they give the cars an extra fuel allowance to ensure that they don't lift and coast to save fuel during the races. Next rule, make the front wing wider and make the end plates less efficient, i.e. add drag to the car to use up the increased fuel, back to lift and coast. Next rule make the tyres last better so that they can race, but they are lifting and coasting to save fuel anyway.

So who has an idea of the overall effect of what they are doing?
Brawn? Why isn't he doing his job?
Here's the address for the video. https://redirector.gvt1.com/videopla...file/file.webm
Old 13 Nov 2018, 23:11 (Ref:3863191)   #577
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
BJ this just leads to a 15 sec promo piece about Georgio Piola.
Old 13 Nov 2018, 23:20 (Ref:3863192)   #578
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
BJ this just leads to a 15 sec promo piece about Georgio Piola.
Oh what? This works. https://api.motorsport.tv/embed/p4E7...tions?autoplay
Old 13 Nov 2018, 23:56 (Ref:3863197)   #579
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Thanks BJ this worked in Edge.
Backs up the point about the rule changes being piecemeal and having unintended consequences. The drag and fuel consumption I queried above?
Old 14 Nov 2018, 00:35 (Ref:3863201)   #580
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Thanks BJ this worked in Edge.
Backs up the point about the rule changes being piecemeal and having unintended consequences. The drag and fuel consumption I queried above?
That's good, I could only get it to work in Chrome. Yes, it does back it up.
Old 14 Nov 2018, 10:15 (Ref:3863246)   #581
wnut
Veteran

Mark Hughes from Motorsport Magazine on the 2019 rule changes:

Conclusion: No change to the racing and advantage Mercedes.

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/o...ould-change-f1

"How effective will it all be? Here’s a quote from someone very close to the research behind it: “I don’t think it will make the racing very different to how it is. But if we’d left it, the racing would be much worse than it currently is.”
Will it have an effect on the competitive order? Probably not a profound one. But it would seem to make a super-high rake car less feasible – in that with a less powerful draw upon the diffuser exit speeding up the flow, the diffuser itself will stall at lower car speeds than it currently does as the ride height increases as the speed comes down. So does that mean anyone that has not followed a high-rake concept over the years might be looking better relative to the rest? What teams have done that? Only one: Mercedes." Mark Hughes
Old 14 Nov 2018, 17:46 (Ref:3863331)   #582
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
They need to reduce downforce on the body. It’s not rocket science
Old 14 Nov 2018, 20:25 (Ref:3863346)   #583
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
No it’s fluid dynamics, which is far more complicated. Rocket science is relatively simple.
Old 17 Nov 2018, 08:28 (Ref:3863742)   #584
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
bring back full side skirted ground effects!
Old 17 Nov 2018, 09:27 (Ref:3863749)   #585
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
The biggest shortcoming in the suggestions in response to the question is often the narrowness of vision , fiddling around the edges , tweaking this and that but not thinking about the bigger picture .

Which is?

1 What is F1 for - is it an entertainment, a sport , a business or technical showcase ? I think it may be all four , but it only needs to be a sport , if one run in a businesslike way .

2 Is it part of the wider motorsport scene? Arguably no , it exists in a bubble and many 'fans' don't have any interest in other forms of motor sport . So , should it be part of motor sport ? Absolutely .

3 Should it operate as a homogenised closed shop? Absolutely not .

4 Is spending half a billion dollars on two absurdly complex racing cars for twenty races a year reasonable ? No , it's obscene.

5 Should the teams (including manufacturers) have a say in the future of the sport ? No - they are self interested , may walk away at any time and are completely incapable of seeing themselves as others see them . I think it is crazy that a front wing looks like a piece of kinetic art , costs 100grand and is expendable in a first corner tussle . They don't

6 Do we want races won by pit stop algorithms or by one guy overtaking another on track ? Teams don't care which - but I want 'proper 'overtaking .

7 Does any sane person really care very much about tyre compounds ? No. How ridiculous does it look to the wider world , one more concerned in 2018 about finite resources and sustainability , that in a 8 minute race an F1 car can consume 12 tyres ?

My solution appeared about 100 posts back but I stick by it - we need to think about the essence of the sport before we get on to detail
Old 17 Nov 2018, 12:43 (Ref:3863763)   #586
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Or even 80 minute race ....
Old 17 Nov 2018, 13:33 (Ref:3863771)   #587
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
7 Does any sane person really care very much about tyre compounds ? No. How ridiculous does it look to the wider world , one more concerned in 2018 about finite resources and sustainability , that in a 8 minute race an F1 car can consume 12 tyres ?
That's what Formula E is for, to appear sustainable.

But I wouldn't mind whole race tyres like in 2005... It would be a good challenge to race without any pit stops.
Old 17 Nov 2018, 13:41 (Ref:3863774)   #588
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Yeah, it would be good if they got rid of the compulsory pitstop rule at the least. We might see a few surprises if that was the case
Old 17 Nov 2018, 17:22 (Ref:3863789)   #589
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
The biggest shortcoming in the suggestions in response to the question is often the narrowness of vision , fiddling around the edges , tweaking this and that but not thinking about the bigger picture .

Which is?

1 What is F1 for - is it an entertainment, a sport , a business or technical showcase ? I think it may be all four , but it only needs to be a sport , if one run in a businesslike way .

2 Is it part of the wider motorsport scene? Arguably no , it exists in a bubble and many 'fans' don't have any interest in other forms of motor sport . So , should it be part of motor sport ? Absolutely .

3 Should it operate as a homogenised closed shop? Absolutely not .

4 Is spending half a billion dollars on two absurdly complex racing cars for twenty races a year reasonable ? No , it's obscene.

5 Should the teams (including manufacturers) have a say in the future of the sport ? No - they are self interested , may walk away at any time and are completely incapable of seeing themselves as others see them . I think it is crazy that a front wing looks like a piece of kinetic art , costs 100grand and is expendable in a first corner tussle . They don't

6 Do we want races won by pit stop algorithms or by one guy overtaking another on track ? Teams don't care which - but I want 'proper 'overtaking .

My solution appeared about 100 posts back but I stick by it - we need to think about the essence of the sport before we get on to detail
Where is this jibberish etched in stone?

I didn't think so.

Maybe F1 is not for you? If that's the case, there are many other facets of auto racing that might be more suitable for you, no? Those of us that enjoy F1 can stick around.

Formula One is fine just the way it is and has always been. The showcase for the very best.

jimclark
Old 17 Nov 2018, 17:50 (Ref:3863794)   #590
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimclark View Post

I didn't think so.

Maybe F1 is not for you? If that's the case, there are many other facets of auto racing that might be more suitable for you, no? Those of us that enjoy F1 can stick around.

Formula One is fine just the way it is and has always been. The showcase for the very best.

Err ..my reply isn't etched in stone anywhere , literally or metaphorically. It's what is known as a commentary on a subject which interests me . You too I assume ?

F1 not for me? I saw my first F1 race in 1971 and have loved it ever since. But , like most people who follow a sport for a very long time , I've welcomed some changes more than others . Hence my reply, which really shouldn't be too hard to understand .

And there is sort of a little clue in the title of the thread , no ? People like you and me contribute to threads like this because we have something to say, even if , as in your own case , it's to the effect that everything in F1 is perfect and always has been.At least I think that's the essence of what you're trying to say ?

And it really isn't difficult to be polite , even if we disagree .
Old 17 Nov 2018, 19:42 (Ref:3863808)   #591
jimclark
Veteran

United States
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
And it really isn't difficult to be polite , even if we disagree .
Absolutely. My apologies if something I posted implied you were impolite.

jimclark
Old 17 Nov 2018, 19:52 (Ref:3863810)   #592
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Quote:
Absolutely. My apologies if something I posted implied you were impolite.
I have to admit I am confused by your responses above. Plus the use of the wink emoticon. Are you being serious, joking or trying to pushing people’s buttons?

Richard
Old 17 Nov 2018, 20:33 (Ref:3863813)   #593
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
I have to admit I am confused by your responses above. Plus the use of the wink emoticon. Are you being serious, joking or trying to pushing people’s buttons?

Richard
PM'd you.

jimclark
Old 17 Nov 2018, 22:36 (Ref:3863825)   #594
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77 View Post
bring back full side skirted ground effects!
Worst most processional racing in the history of F1.
Old 19 Nov 2018, 09:53 (Ref:3864172)   #595
GingerPixel
Racer

GingerPixel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGingerPixel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Methinks Jim Clark From Beyond The Grave is a bit of a mixer!
Old 19 Nov 2018, 21:45 (Ref:3864336)   #596
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerPixel View Post
Methinks Jim Clark From Beyond The Grave is a bit of a mixer!
(jimclark, please, I have respect for Jimmy)

I don't know the term "mixer" but from the context, 'a clue. Not so. Just opinion like everyone else.

jimclark
Old 19 Nov 2018, 22:20 (Ref:3864354)   #597
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
(jimclark, please, I have respect for Jimmy)

I don't know the term "mixer" but from the context, 'a clue. Not so. Just opinion like everyone else.
Nobody who actually knew him ever called Jim, Jimmy. Only American broadcasters and ignorant journalists used Jimmy.
Old 19 Nov 2018, 23:10 (Ref:3864363)   #598
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Nobody who actually knew him ever called Jim, Jimmy. Only American broadcasters and ignorant journalists used Jimmy.
Sir Jackie Stewart referred to him as Jimmy, in the documentary, "Jim Clark: the quiet champion", that was shown on BBC4. About 30 seconds in.

https://youtu.be/vyC9Dz0Hm7U

Old 20 Nov 2018, 00:47 (Ref:3864375)   #599
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Sir Jackie Stewart referred to him as Jimmy, in the documentary, "Jim Clark: the quiet champion", that was shown on BBC4. About 30 seconds in.

https://youtu.be/vyC9Dz0Hm7U
I saw that BJ, and have been aching to have somebody ask Jackie why he did so ever since!
Playing to an American audience? I really don't know why he did so!
Old 20 Nov 2018, 01:14 (Ref:3864378)   #600
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
I saw that BJ, and have been aching to have somebody ask Jackie why he did so ever since!
Playing to an American audience? I really don't know why he did so!
Maybe. He was a commentator for ABC's Wide World of Sports and NBC Sportsworld for a number of years.

It would be interesting to hear his take on how to fix F1. I remember back in the day, how he bemoaned what were called Micky Mouse circuits. Today's equivalent would be Tilkedromes.