Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 4 Dec 2018, 07:25 (Ref:3867788)   #751
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Interested to see what colors will be on the CORE Ligier Nissan. Wonder if they'll stick with the blue and orange? I kinda wanna see something different because the Acura's have the orange theme too.
Fudge... Thirty years already.

Ala Bee Gees...

"Lonely days, lonely nights. How do I live without my Nissan.....???"

Would these do?

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/o...n-gtp-zx-turbo

jimclark
Old 4 Dec 2018, 19:26 (Ref:3867926)   #752
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Looks like another LMP2 for Daytona: Dragonspeed brings a 2nd car.

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/d...-for-rolex-24/
Old 5 Dec 2018, 19:42 (Ref:3868122)   #753
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I didn't see this anywhere else but for those who loved the old Red Dragon it seems to be no more, "JDC’s use of the No. 84, rather than No. 99 as seen last season, comes in the wake of former sponsor GAINSCO opting to withdraw from all racing activities." From Racer's announcement of their driver lineup for 2019 article.

#84: Steven Simpson, Simon Trummer with Chris Miller (NAEC) and Juan Piedrahita for Daytona
#84 Misha Goikhburg, Tristan Vautier with Rubens Barrichello and Devlin DeFrancesco for Daytona, Juan Piedrahita for remaining NAEC schedule
Old 5 Dec 2018, 20:37 (Ref:3868132)   #754
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
#84: Steven Simpson, Simon Trummer with Chris Miller (NAEC) and Juan Piedrahita for Daytona
#84 Misha Goikhburg, Tristan Vautier with Rubens Barrichello and Devlin DeFrancesco for Daytona, Juan Piedrahita for remaining NAEC schedule
That would be #84 for one and #85 for the other then I presume?
Old 5 Dec 2018, 20:41 (Ref:3868133)   #755
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
That would be #84 for one and #85 for the other then I presume?
D'oh, yes it would be. 85 is first, 84 is second line.
Old 6 Dec 2018, 02:58 (Ref:3868190)   #756
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
I didn't see this anywhere else but for those who loved the old Red Dragon it seems to be no more, "JDC’s use of the No. 84, rather than No. 99 as seen last season, comes in the wake of former sponsor GAINSCO opting to withdraw from all racing activities." From Racer's announcement of their driver lineup for 2019 article.

I wonder how much time the team had to prep for this? Coming up with another season's budget has to be difficult. So two yellow Caddy's on the grid. Was this the first time we heard of Rubens being in the car? That is a pretty big score for one of the "small" teams.
Old 6 Dec 2018, 04:58 (Ref:3868196)   #757
lemansnsx
Rookie

lemansnsx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I wonder how much time the team had to prep for this? Coming up with another season's budget has to be difficult. So two yellow Caddy's on the grid. Was this the first time we heard of Rubens being in the car? That is a pretty big score for one of the "small" teams.
Be pretty funny if Defrancesco's family business shows up as a sponsor! Would be like a flashback to F1 circa 1977, lol.

As for the Red Dragon, that was always Bob Stallings spending Gainsco money in his role as Executive Chairman and it had been drastically reduced over the last few years. Maybe the board pulled the plug or maybe some other factor at play.
Old 6 Dec 2018, 14:29 (Ref:3868280)   #758
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemansnsx View Post
Be pretty funny if Defrancesco's family business shows up as a sponsor! Would be like a flashback to F1 circa 1977, lol.

As for the Red Dragon, that was always Bob Stallings spending Gainsco money in his role as Executive Chairman and it had been drastically reduced over the last few years. Maybe the board pulled the plug or maybe some other factor at play.
It sounded like the announcement was buried in the tweet and PR regarding the driver lineups so think they kept it under wraps if they knew. Gainsco is pulling all motorsports money so think it is a change like ESM losing Patron, the company is going another direction and it is out of the hands of the man previously writing the checks. MP sounded surprised in a comment on the article so I'm thinking it was not known prior, yeah I'm surprised he reads and responds on comments too but I've seen it a reasonable amount lately from him.
Old 7 Dec 2018, 04:18 (Ref:3868446)   #759
lemansnsx
Rookie

IMSA test @ Daytona on Tuesday

Big test day this coming Tuesday for Michelin at Daytona with, according to IMSA, 30 teams across 3 series. Anybody from here attending?
Old 7 Dec 2018, 05:38 (Ref:3868459)   #760
Nick Woodbury
Veteran

United States
New England
Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Big test day this coming Tuesday for Michelin at Daytona with, according to IMSA, 30 teams across 3 series. Anybody from here attending?
Hopefully our lord and savior, Lanky Turtle, will be present to capture some action. Other than that, we can only hope that Marshall Pruett will be there to capture some trackside footage maybe?

In other news, here is an interesting article I ran into on the nascar website earlier today...now that Kurt Busch is employed with Chip Ganassi Racing for next year's cup season, the opportunity to run other marquee events for Chip such as the Rolex 24 and the Indy 500 are but a simple ask away it seems!

https://www.nascar.com/news-media/20...si-says-table/
Old 7 Dec 2018, 05:39 (Ref:3868461)   #761
jimclark
Veteran

United States
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
I haven't been in a few years. 'Don't know if you can now.
I used to catch tests when you could walk out to one section of the grandstands (forget the name of the section) from the shop any day of the week to check out the track, but I hear that's changed. I'll give 'em a call and give it a thought (4 hours north of me) if it's can do somehow. Do you know if it's open to the public?

Got a link, by chance?

Last edited by jimclark; 7 Dec 2018 at 05:44.

jimclark
Old 7 Dec 2018, 14:07 (Ref:3868558)   #762
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
I don't think the track is open to the public. Hope I'm wrong. Got Florida vacation starting this weekend.
Old 7 Dec 2018, 14:12 (Ref:3868564)   #763
lemansnsx
Rookie

No link, no mention of the public, heck it wasn't even on IMSA's own competitor web site as of a day or two ago.
Old 7 Dec 2018, 16:36 (Ref:3868597)   #764
Nick Woodbury
Veteran

United States
New England
Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!
Cool! Alexander Rossi will be driving for Roger Penske for the IMSA Endurance races! Although he is only tabbed to drive at the Rolex 24 and at Sebring. No mention of the 6 Hours of the Glen or Petit.

I'm surprised the article did not mention Rossi's previous experience in Endurance racing, specifically his '13 Le Mans drive in a Greaves Caterham/Zytek P2 as well as the '14 Rolex 24 in the Deltawing (I forgot about that deltawing drive).

https://racer.com/2018/12/07/rossi-j...a-for-enduros/

Last edited by Nick Woodbury; 7 Dec 2018 at 16:46.
Old 7 Dec 2018, 18:07 (Ref:3868611)   #765
MaskedRacer
Veteran

Hope there is no rain during the WEC and IMSA qualifying sessions at all in March. We have to get a straight up chance to compare and contract lap times. Will be one of the most fun aspects of the joint weekend. I assume they will run the same track configuration. Most fun will be to compare LMP1 privateer vs DPI and all of the GT classes too.
Old 7 Dec 2018, 20:51 (Ref:3868636)   #766
MaskedRacer
Veteran

There is probably no point to speculate GTD grid, especially since sprint and endurance are two different seasons with different grids now. For the rest here is what I got right now. Anybody care to follow up or confirm?:

Prototype

Penske Acura DPI 6
Penske Acura DPI 7
Joest Mazda DPI 55
Joest Mazda DPI 70
Action Express Cadillac 5
Action Express Cadillac 31
WTR Cadillac 10
JDC Cadillac 84
JDC Cadillac 85
Juncos Cadillac 32
Spirit of Daytona Cadillac 90 (status unknown)
CORE Nissan 54
PR1 Oreca 07 LMP2
Performance Tech LMP2
DragonSpeed Oreca 07 LMP2, Daytona only
DragonSpeed Oreca 07 LMP2, Daytona only
RLR MSport Ligier LMP2, Daytona only

GTLM
Same 9 cars as 2018.
Old 7 Dec 2018, 22:02 (Ref:3868642)   #767
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Quote:
No link, no mention of the public, heck it wasn't even on IMSA's own competitor web site as of a day or two ago.
I'm getting dizzy.

That's why I asked. I checked IMSA right after posting and no cigar.
What was your source? I'll go there.

jimclark
Old 8 Dec 2018, 00:09 (Ref:3868651)   #768
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
Hope there is no rain during the WEC and IMSA qualifying sessions at all in March. We have to get a straight up chance to compare and contract lap times. Will be one of the most fun aspects of the joint weekend. I assume they will run the same track configuration. Most fun will be to compare LMP1 privateer vs DPI and all of the GT classes too.
Not sure if ever before has there been such a global sportscar structure comparison possible in a single weekend

LMP1 H+NH
LMP2
LMP3
DPi
GTE
GT3
GT4
TCR

And since it's Sebring and not some tarmac runoff wastlend like COTA where half of the lap times might be questionable due to no-one respecting track limits, the info should be rather accurate too

Add into that the crappy Hoosier-Conties now having been phased off too
Old 8 Dec 2018, 03:37 (Ref:3868678)   #769
lemansnsx
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimclark View Post
I'm getting dizzy.

That's why I asked. I checked IMSA right after posting and no cigar.
What was your source? I'll go there.
Source was an email blast to IMSA media. Nothing better than short-notice flights for pricing, eh? Grrr.
Old 8 Dec 2018, 04:03 (Ref:3868680)   #770
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Not sure if ever before has there been such a global sportscar structure comparison possible in a single weekend

LMP1 H+NH
LMP2
LMP3
DPi
GTE
GT3
GT4
TCR

And since it's Sebring and not some tarmac runoff wastlend like COTA where half of the lap times might be questionable due to no-one respecting track limits, the info should be rather accurate too

Add into that the crappy Hoosier-Conties now having been phased off too
But will the wec run the same timing line as IMSA? I know they are making their own pit lane but I haven't heard about them moving the start/finish.
Old 8 Dec 2018, 04:38 (Ref:3868681)   #771
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Quote:
But will the wec run the same timing line as IMSA? I know they are making their own pit lane but I haven't heard about them moving the start/finish.
Eh? What? What difference does it make where the line is? Speed traps, sure (although there'd be no reason to relocate them, anyway). A lap time is a lap time, however, no matter where you take it.

jimclark
Old 8 Dec 2018, 16:42 (Ref:3868780)   #772
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Interesting question. I don't believe so but far from a stretch (and since it's WEC they probably will do so, not sure if they would need a second 'starter' stand on the back straight then).
Old 8 Dec 2018, 19:09 (Ref:3868819)   #773
Nick Woodbury
Veteran

United States
New England
Driver confirmation news...

BMW makes one driver change for IMSA, also officially confirms Zanardi for the Rolex 24!

https://racer.com/2018/12/07/bmw-rll...firms-zanardi/

In other BMW news....BMW hot shoe Chaz Mostert will drive with Alex Zanardi at the Rolex 24.

https://www.speedcafe.com/2018/12/08...ona-24h-drive/

Porsche retains their line-up for IMSA and WEC. Also, the Core Autosport team and Porsche Motorsport NA extend their partnership contract for another 3 years.

https://racer.com/2018/12/08/porsche...imsa-programs/
Old 8 Dec 2018, 21:24 (Ref:3868851)   #774
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
Interesting question. I don't believe so but far from a stretch (and since it's WEC they probably will do so, not sure if they would need a second 'starter' stand on the back straight then).
Why a second starter stand period? What does it matter where the pits are in regard to the start/finish/starter stand? 'Same as where the "timing line" is.
The pits could be down by the hairpin; the "timing line" at T-10; the start/finish where it always is; and the results would be the same. 'Makes no difference.

jimclark
Old 9 Dec 2018, 03:10 (Ref:3868884)   #775
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimclark View Post
Why a second starter stand period? What does it matter where the pits are in regard to the start/finish/starter stand? 'Same as where the "timing line" is.
The pits could be down by the hairpin; the "timing line" at T-10; the start/finish where it always is; and the results would be the same. 'Makes no difference.
Oh, I hear you, no difference at all but we're talking FIA (WEC) here so you do the maths..