Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 19 Dec 2018, 19:39 (Ref:3871482)   #1
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Re-make

I hear that there are plans for a re-make of Slum Dog Millionaire, based in a Hertfordshire town.
Old 19 Dec 2018, 20:33 (Ref:3871494)   #2
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
he doesn't half speak without thinking sometimes!
Old 19 Dec 2018, 20:54 (Ref:3871498)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
He does.

And people do like to be outraged over nothing.
Old 19 Dec 2018, 21:16 (Ref:3871501)   #4
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Wasn’t exactly the smartest thing to say, but meh, people have said a lot worst. Usually people who aren’t in the public eye
Old 20 Dec 2018, 04:56 (Ref:3871562)   #5
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Oh, is he still going on about coming from the mean streets of Stevenage, except now he actually called it "the slums"? That's just typical Lewis. Nothing to holler at.
Old 20 Dec 2018, 05:35 (Ref:3871564)   #6
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
And people do like to be outraged over nothing.
Yes. Nothing to see here.....
Old 20 Dec 2018, 05:43 (Ref:3871565)   #7
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Not so much....you folks are going on about how a kid from no where can ever amount to anything...so he must be a cheater

That's the point of slum dog millionaire.

Boring boring boring

Still imbibed but if you dont believe what your eyes tell you why should I care about the words you say?

Mods please delete if necessary.
Old 20 Dec 2018, 06:07 (Ref:3871566)   #8
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man View Post
Oh, is he still going on about coming from the mean streets of Stevenage, except now he actually called it "the slums"? That's just typical Lewis. Nothing to holler at.
He's probably spent more time in whichever tax haven he calls home these days than Stevenage anyway. I'd say Monaco or Switzerland, but I doubt living in either of those places you'd gain a forced Faux-merican accent.
Old 20 Dec 2018, 06:18 (Ref:3871567)   #9
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
Not so much....you folks are going on about how a kid from no where can ever amount to anything...so he must be a cheater

That's the point of slum dog millionaire.
Exactly. Read the plot.

But of course the thread gives ‘Hamilton haters’ somewhere new to express their opinions.....
Old 20 Dec 2018, 06:22 (Ref:3871568)   #10
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
For the record, it's another classic case of people getting offended for the sake of it in 2018.

It's fashionable to be outraged over something these days.
Old 20 Dec 2018, 09:38 (Ref:3871595)   #11
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
OOPs!

My original post was meant to be light hearted, and just a play on the original film, not a pot at Carl Lewis Hamilton.

I think views on Lewis are very much like the current Brexit debate in the UK, it's all or nothing, hate it or love it.

Anyway sorry for arousing ire at this season of goodwill.

Merry Christmas to EVERYONE.

Bob.
Old 20 Dec 2018, 10:03 (Ref:3871599)   #12
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
As it happens I thought he came over very well at those awards. A slip of the tongue is forgivable these days. All those who expressed outrage are, IMO just fuddy duddies. I don't like everything the Lewis does but on this occasion he deserves a break.
Old 20 Dec 2018, 13:56 (Ref:3871639)   #13
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
he did apparently mean to say “the sticks” which is still funny cause stevenage has and always will be a london dormitory town which means it’s pretty well connected. and you know, it’s got a big tescos and everything

he’s harmless. he’s out there living his best life, he’s a good ambassador for the sport and unlike some others, he cares about things that aren’t just f1 cars. he wears the heck out of any strange things he ends up leaving the house in, so fair play to him.

arguably there’s not a lot of clean living role models out there for young people at the moment (see: the entertainment industry) so someone who keeps his private life under control and doesn’t go around acting like a real ASBO just because he’s rich is worth respecting.

and before anyone grumbles, what you’d consider uncouth behaviour or poor manners and some out there fashion choices is not worth legions of kids withdrawing their support for him
Old 20 Dec 2018, 14:05 (Ref:3871642)   #14
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Big Tesco? What more could a town aspire to.

We’ve got a small Lidl- not sure where that leaves us..... (OK and a medium JS, but that would spoil the comparison. )
Old 20 Dec 2018, 14:22 (Ref:3871645)   #15
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
......A slip of the tongue is forgivable these days. All those who expressed outrage are, IMO just fuddy duddies. I don't like everything the Lewis does but on this occasion he deserves a break.
Actually the very opposite is true. Every tiny slip of the tongue is jumped on as a personal insult by those primed to take offence. As Mr Corbyn is finding....

Fuddy duddies and professional offence takers of the world unite, you have nothing to lose but your own peace of mind.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 20 Dec 2018, 15:07 (Ref:3871653)   #16
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Actually the very opposite is true. Every tiny slip of the tongue is jumped on as a personal insult by those primed to take offence. As Mr Corbyn is finding....

Fuddy duddies and professional offence takers of the world unite, you have nothing to lose but your own peace of mind.

This whole thing has gone too far, but if you lived next door to the Hamilton household in Stevenage I suppose one might take offence, It is possible that the garden was full of old mattresses, broken wheel barrows, bald car tyres etc., etc.
Old 20 Dec 2018, 15:41 (Ref:3871663)   #17
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It wasn't a slip of the tongue - he just doesn't have the capacity to appreciate what he is saying. And it's not the first time that he has used the same type of thought, either. Have you forgotten about his "attack" on Nico Rosberg a couple of years ago, trying to claim some sort of moral high ground because Nico had been born with a silver spoon in his mouth, whilst he, Hamilton, had come from a deprived background.

By the way, having in and around Stevenage for 20 odd years, I can tell you that there are no slums. Yes like virtually any town or city in the UK, some parts are better/nicer than others, but none of it can remotely be compared to a slum.

And to add a little, once he had latched on to Ron Dennis' coat tail (before he was even in to his teens, if I remember correctly) he actually ceased to live in Stevenage. In fact his father recently sold the family home in Tewin, which is a few miles from Stevenage, and got a figure not far removed from the multi million pound asking price. And I don't think that his very well heeled former neighbours appreciated the are being likened to a slum!
Old 20 Dec 2018, 15:45 (Ref:3871664)   #18
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Big Tesco? What more could a town aspire to.

We’ve got a small Lidl- not sure where that leaves us..... (OK and a medium JS, but that would spoil the comparison. )
Shouldn't the correct description be 'a little Lidl' Mike?
Old 20 Dec 2018, 16:52 (Ref:3871673)   #19
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It's the worst when an impoverished kid latches on to a rich person. Its so dickensian it makes me sick. It really ruins the holidays am I right?

But for real, that a thread can be started with such an overt amount of hate, without a link, without a purpose but to slag on someone and be allowed to continue is beyond me.

Is this the community we want?

Anyways if this kind of veiled trash is allowed to be posted then I'm free to stand up against it right?
Old 20 Dec 2018, 16:59 (Ref:3871675)   #20
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
This whole thing has gone too far, but if you lived next door to the Hamilton household in Stevenage I suppose one might take offence, It is possible that the garden was full of old mattresses, broken wheel barrows, bald car tyres etc., etc.
Shoot have you been Streetview-ing my house?

Old 20 Dec 2018, 17:24 (Ref:3871678)   #21
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
It wasn't a slip of the tongue - he just doesn't have the capacity to appreciate what he is saying. And it's not the first time that he has used the same type of thought, either. Have you forgotten about his "attack" on Nico Rosberg a couple of years ago, trying to claim some sort of moral high ground because Nico had been born with a silver spoon in his mouth, whilst he, Hamilton, had come from a deprived background.
i’ll bite.

your use of “not having the capacity” is a tiny smidge off the mark. what he lacks is context and perspective. he hasn’t always lacked that - he’s clearly lived in a bubble, in a very small world that is an echo chamber of his choosing. we’re all guilty of that - we pick and choose friends, people to follow on social media, news sources...

the rosberg thing had a point, but he articulated it badly. he clearly understood the relative context of what he was saying. i think that’s his mistake - he speaks to journalists who will use his words how they want to, or speaks directly to people through social media or tv and can’t articulate concepts without offending someone.

that’s an education thing, i think. a good education teaches you critical thinking, context, and not just vocabulary but the ability to describe and apply language in a complicated way. that’s something you see with people who fall through the gaps in the education system - very smart people who can understand complicated concepts but who struggle to use language to describe or explain themselves. i’m not saying he’s a highly intelligent person or whatever, i’m just explaining how disconnects come about.

where nico was incredibly fortunate was that his education was different - he’s clearly a smart guy, but his background and education allowed him to develop his intelligence and learn to use it. for whatever reason, lewis only ended up getting a decent education for a single year to pass a few gcses.
Old 20 Dec 2018, 18:29 (Ref:3871684)   #22
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
he did apparently mean to say “the sticks” which is still funny cause stevenage has and always will be a london dormitory town which means it’s pretty well connected. and you know, it’s got a big tescos and everything

he’s harmless. he’s out there living his best life, he’s a good ambassador for the sport and unlike some others, he cares about things that aren’t just f1 cars. he wears the heck out of any strange things he ends up leaving the house in, so fair play to him.

arguably there’s not a lot of clean living role models out there for young people at the moment (see: the entertainment industry) so someone who keeps his private life under control and doesn’t go around acting like a real ASBO just because he’s rich is worth respecting.

and before anyone grumbles, what you’d consider uncouth behaviour or poor manners and some out there fashion choices is not worth legions of kids withdrawing their support for him
I like all this, but I reserve the right to comment on his attire. Not that I’m well dressed or anything, far from it.
Old 20 Dec 2018, 18:33 (Ref:3871685)   #23
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post

I think we’ve even moved on to post-offence now. Where news is generated to attract those who get offended that some people might be offended (whether they are or not) at something inconsequential. It’s clickbait.
Old 20 Dec 2018, 18:37 (Ref:3871686)   #24
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post

that’s an education thing, i think. a good education teaches you critical thinking, context, and not just vocabulary but the ability to describe and apply language in a complicated way. that’s something you see with people who fall through the gaps in the education system - very smart people who can understand complicated concepts but who struggle to use language to describe or explain themselves. i’m not saying he’s a highly intelligent person or whatever, i’m just explaining how disconnects come about.
Good point. Thing is it’s not just the education of those saying it, but also of (all) those reading it. It’s a joint responsibility. You see it here we’re people aren’t willing to put in the effort to understand others. Trouble is with Lewis millions of people read his words and newspapers report them to attract readers.
Old 20 Dec 2018, 18:44 (Ref:3871688)   #25
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post
For the record, it's another classic case of people getting offended for the sake of it in 2018.

It's fashionable to be outraged over something these days.
Exactly so. For crying out loud get over it. Can't you tell it's the close season......