Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 10 Jan 2019, 17:09 (Ref:3875304)   #1001
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Woodbury View Post
OH MAH GAWWWWD

Pretty good, glad they are going back to the traditional colors at Sebring however. Now we await if Porsche is doing anything. I like their factory colors too so its not a big deal if they stick to that.
Old 10 Jan 2019, 17:14 (Ref:3875305)   #1002
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Also like that BMW are back to 2 white cars again. Always liked that BMW, Porsche, and Ford keep their WEC and IMSA teams in cohesion with each other. Hopefully Corvette's Sebring WEC car will be the traditional yellow as well. Kinda can say that about Risi Ferrari, their Daytona drive line up is essentially the #51 AF Corse driver squad plus Rigon who drives the #71.
Old 10 Jan 2019, 18:05 (Ref:3875320)   #1003
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Woodbury View Post
OH MAH GAWWWWD

What kind of car is that? I can't see any decals identifying who it it
Old 10 Jan 2019, 18:12 (Ref:3875321)   #1004
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyb505 View Post
What kind of car is that? I can't see any decals identifying who it it
Hmm. I think it's the new Pinto.
Old 10 Jan 2019, 20:04 (Ref:3875351)   #1005
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Oreca Acura's are in the traditional white and orange like the realtime and comptech Acura's before them...

Old 10 Jan 2019, 20:23 (Ref:3875354)   #1006
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Have to admit, I'm a bit disappointed in them lol. They're still good, but I think Porsche maybe raised the bar a bit high. I was hoping for some classic Ford GTs. Didn't know what to expect from Acura, but by pure chance it's maybe a little too close to the Penske livery for my liking.

Not bad, but I'm still disappointed and don't know why. But even with those, the current IMSA grid, especially DPi and GTD, is maybe the best set of liveries on the grid right now.
Old 10 Jan 2019, 20:42 (Ref:3875356)   #1007
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
Retro Fords at the Rolex 24 means they get BoPed to victory right?

https://twitter.com/dailysportscar/s...95384309878784

I like 'em. The liveries. Not the Fords
I am having a hard time remembering an old IMSA Fords in Castrol colors.
Old 10 Jan 2019, 20:44 (Ref:3875357)   #1008
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm with him.

The Fords aren't bad and the livery works on the cars. But it's not really classic livery, but then maybe that's me being old and thinking that's not that old a livery.

The Acuras are just a waste of time and effort, looks pretty close to the '18 livery. I know it isn't and I see the RealTime and the older Comptech Spice/Acuras but nah, not worth it. But then what else could Acura really run?
Old 10 Jan 2019, 20:49 (Ref:3875358)   #1009
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
I'm with him.

The Fords aren't bad and the livery works on the cars. But it's not really classic livery, but then maybe that's me being old and thinking that's not that old a livery.

The Acuras are just a waste of time and effort, looks pretty close to the '18 livery. I know it isn't and I see the RealTime and the older Comptech Spice/Acuras but nah, not worth it. But then what else could Acura really run?
I think you're spot on there. It's at best old, but it isn't a classic. The GT40s ran at Daytona - it'd have been awesome to have a proper classic GT40 livery. The cynic in me says they didn't do that because you'd have to remove all the sponsor stickers. Instead they wanted stickers for money, so had to go for one like that.

Ford may have been better doing some sort of art car, and making a cool modern Castrol livery that fitted the classic GT40 shape or something.

Acura...no idea what they could've done. It's actually hard to think of a classic Honda livery that'd fit here. Being a Brit, all I can come up with is BTCC
Old 10 Jan 2019, 21:18 (Ref:3875362)   #1010
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well, I love them, but Gulf has been done to death and the other that jumps out is black with a circle number on the side. Badass but not really good for adverts, to your point Akrapovic, which is what race cars are these days; fast and fun billboards.
Old 10 Jan 2019, 21:21 (Ref:3875363)   #1011
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I am having a hard time remembering an old IMSA Fords in Castrol colors.
I don't think it exists, but here's a Castrol Ford at Brainard:

It's a "Mustang".
Old 10 Jan 2019, 22:01 (Ref:3875368)   #1012
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I don't think it exists, but here's a Castrol Ford at Brainard:

It's a "Mustang".
Lol, of course that's a mustang!
Old 11 Jan 2019, 00:05 (Ref:3875389)   #1013
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
The orange and white has been an Acura color scheme for a long time in the US racing scene. It doesn't look unique because their original livery is basically the same colors Not much more you can really do with them except the wing endplates could be orange too.
Old 11 Jan 2019, 06:32 (Ref:3875421)   #1014
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
It's really just pointless. What they had was Acura enough.

I really don't see how the Fords would be considered not old enough to be classic

The classic GT40 paint schemes are all not from IMSA, so not really applicable for the anniversary.
Old 11 Jan 2019, 07:35 (Ref:3875429)   #1015
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbsmith View Post
I really don't see how the Fords would be considered not old enough to be classic

The classic GT40 paint schemes are all not from IMSA, so not really applicable for the anniversary.
I don't think being old makes it classic. That red Ford livery is absolutely not a classic in my head. It's nice, but that's about it. The Jaguar may be a classic...but it's a Jaguar. Not a Ford.

Plenty of awesome GT40s have raced at Daytona. It won the 24 hours twice, and they have a 2 car entry, so use those liveries. Even if they aren't classics because they're beautiful, they're classics because they're D24 winners. But again, they'd have to get rid of sponsor logos.

They're not bad really. Kinda nice. But it was always going to be hard to follow the pink pig.

Last edited by Akrapovic; 11 Jan 2019 at 07:43.
Old 11 Jan 2019, 13:52 (Ref:3875496)   #1016
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
In the end, they're merely covers for a machine. Let's go racin'.
Old 11 Jan 2019, 14:23 (Ref:3875499)   #1017
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
In the end, they're merely covers for a machine. Let's go racin'.
Quit yer cryin' or we'll talk trash about someone's obsession with retro Falcons liveries in the NFL
Old 11 Jan 2019, 15:25 (Ref:3875511)   #1018
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Ford owned Jaguar in 1990. So that was really a Ford victory.
Old 11 Jan 2019, 15:48 (Ref:3875517)   #1019
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Quit yer cryin' or we'll talk trash about someone's obsession with retro Falcons liveries in the NFL
This is a personal attack and I'll have to report it to the mods.

But, please, continue with the useless argument about the Ford Prototype paint schemes
Old 11 Jan 2019, 16:50 (Ref:3875527)   #1020
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe View Post
Ford owned Jaguar in 1990. So that was really a Ford victory.

jimclark
Old 11 Jan 2019, 17:33 (Ref:3875545)   #1021
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Hey now.
Old 12 Jan 2019, 03:51 (Ref:3875643)   #1022
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Plenty of awesome GT40s have raced at Daytona.
The 24 Hours wasn't an IMSA race until 1975.

Using the Castrol scheme has little to do with being a Ford and a lot to do with the team's main sponsor being Castrol. I don't think they're required to go drag out an Emil Frey Jag, and pay $1m to get it into IMSA just to celebrate their long association with American sports car racing.
Old 12 Jan 2019, 15:53 (Ref:3875726)   #1023
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLFalconsFAN View Post
Hey now.
The chorus......
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjBwAYIxUso

('86 btw....sorta the right time period.... )

Last edited by jimclark; 12 Jan 2019 at 15:59.

jimclark
Old 16 Jan 2019, 03:01 (Ref:3876389)   #1024
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
A little info on the IMSA bop process.

https://racer.com/2019/01/15/hodgson...l-daytona-bop/

Interesting how much input the manufacturers have had in the process.
Old 16 Jan 2019, 20:25 (Ref:3876574)   #1025
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
well it seems Core got in on the IMSA throwbacks too, although it makes it look less like a street Nissan than the ESM livery did. But it does look like the old factory Nissan GTP cars, and other Datsun/Nissans