Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 11 Jan 2019, 18:46 (Ref:3875560)   #2851
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plato View Post
JP could buy a seat wherever he wanted out of those 3, they would be stupid to turn down the $$$$$
Sometimes that isn't quite enough.
Old 11 Jan 2019, 18:58 (Ref:3875561)   #2852
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
JP could buy a seat wherever he wanted out of those 3, they would be stupid to turn down the $$$$$
He could.
But he also has no intention of spending his own money to race.

If he can find a sponsor that will cover the cost of a drive, plus paying him on top, then we'll see him on the grid. Of he can't, we won't.
Old 11 Jan 2019, 19:02 (Ref:3875562)   #2853
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_l View Post

My guesses are:-

Team Silverline Racing - Jason Plato
Monster Energy - Nic Hamilton

I can't think of any other drivers who would run under a different team name in deference to their sponsor.
Nic Hamilton - Duo
Old 11 Jan 2019, 19:03 (Ref:3875563)   #2854
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic View Post

If he can find a sponsor that will cover the cost of a drive, plus paying him on top, then we'll see him on the grid. Of he can't, we won't.
would his ego really allow NOT to reach those 100 wins as he is so close to them

if i remember he only needs 3 wins
Old 11 Jan 2019, 19:08 (Ref:3875564)   #2855
Plato
Rookie

Netherlands
Patagonia
Plato User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
got to love the open hatred of Jason on here,

whats the matter jealous ?
Old 11 Jan 2019, 19:13 (Ref:3875566)   #2856
Plato
Rookie

Netherlands
Patagonia
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
More would Motorbase have - The ego - Plato in their team ? Also how would the Chilton’s like to go down that road?
Its an act, he isn't really egotistical.

I will try dumb it down to your level.
its the simple wresting heel and babyface arrangement,

for example
Jason portrays a villain or a "bad guy" and acts as an antagonist to your baby faces, Your N**ls who are the heroic protagonist or "good guy" characters.

And it works cause its winds you lot right up a good un,
Old 11 Jan 2019, 19:22 (Ref:3875568)   #2857
porsche962fan
Veteran

^

so you say he is in essence WOLF from Gladiators ??
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-RiVnB9c8I
Old 11 Jan 2019, 19:33 (Ref:3875573)   #2858
Plato
Rookie

Netherlands
Patagonia
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
^

so you say he is in essence WOLF from Gladiators ??
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-RiVnB9c8I

Hope you didn't hurt what little brain you have thinking of that.
Old 11 Jan 2019, 19:33 (Ref:3875574)   #2859
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Robin Marriott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I had an argument with him on Twitter, it’s definitey not an act, his ego is as massive as his nose.

It doesn’t pay to play the villain, I’m sure many more people would rather one of the nice guys won a championship than JP won another 3 races before inevitably retiring. Being the bad guy just comes across as childish most of the time, especially in comparison to how grown up the young crowd come across.
Old 11 Jan 2019, 19:35 (Ref:3875575)   #2860
RS67
Veteran

RS67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by btccbloke View Post
So as this was in the context of someone claiming "I can't see a team that could get him (Plato) to the front consistently except Motorbase"
Considering there are no confirmed drivers at PMR, are you suggesting a works team which had 9 podiums including 3 wins as well as various races led, pole positions and fastest laps throughout the year doesn't also offer that?
The logic of substituting Cole for Tordoff is fine when there is the luxury to do so, neither Cook nor Proctor had won a race before 2018 and Proctor had only 1 season under his belt so if they approached the season with 2 drivers who have challenged for the title before like Motorbase did, then I would say PMR offer as good a chance if not better of getting to the front consistently
Proctor had already had a season in the car though, plus his win at Brands was a bit of a fluke really down to the weather and other teams making the wrong tyre choices.
Old 11 Jan 2019, 19:35 (Ref:3875576)   #2861
porsche962fan
Veteran

Quote:
insult me instead of disproving my argument

thanks for your confirmation
Old 11 Jan 2019, 19:44 (Ref:3875579)   #2862
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Come on, basic rule: play the ball, not the player.
Old 11 Jan 2019, 20:12 (Ref:3875584)   #2863
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
JPs alright. Does the dominant alpha male thing well. Would have been perfect in NASCAR if he'd been born/ lived in the States. Sniff of something good his teeth will be biting the opportunity...
Old 11 Jan 2019, 20:14 (Ref:3875586)   #2864
Jiiiiiiim
Veteran

England
Devon
Jiiiiiiim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is one driver no-one seems to of mentioned who has a decent amount of backing and won’t be returning with the team he raced for last year - James Cole. His recent comments seem to point to him being back on the grid again this year.
Old 11 Jan 2019, 20:15 (Ref:3875587)   #2865
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS67 View Post
Proctor had already had a season in the car though, plus his win at Brands was a bit of a fluke really down to the weather and other teams making the wrong tyre choices.

A win is a win, they all count,(hey is the Astra was 3inches longer Cook would have had another win in the last round ) and again we are comparing 2 drivers at PMR who started 2018 without a win between them vs 2 drivers at Motorbase, Tordoff very nearly won the 2016 title and Chilton was 2017 WTCC independent champion, vs Josh Cook who spent most of the second half of 2017 crashing into things and Senna Proctor who was learning the ropes

So in the context of the point someone raised "I can't see a team that could get him (Plato) to the front consistently except Motorbase" I completely believe the now developed PMR car which has proven to have won races, taken podiums, taken fastest laps, had a pole position and finished 3rd in the teams championship should be consistently front running with a double champion or the right driver pairing at the wheel

Last edited by btccbloke; 11 Jan 2019 at 20:35.
Old 11 Jan 2019, 20:22 (Ref:3875588)   #2866
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiiiiiiim View Post
There is one driver no-one seems to of mentioned who has a decent amount of backing and won’t be returning with the team he raced for last year - James Cole. His recent comments seem to point to him being back on the grid again this year.

I think the BTC Norlin link is strong with this one
They spent last year sponsored by various rock concerts, he brings money from ticketmaster
Old 11 Jan 2019, 20:25 (Ref:3875589)   #2867
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

I will try dumb it down to your level.
its the simple wresting heel and babyface arrangement,

for example
Jason portrays a villain or a "bad guy" and acts as an antagonist to your baby faces, Your N**ls who are the heroic protagonist or "good guy" characters.

And it works cause its winds you lot right up a good un,
If that was all true - and it might be I don’t know him - why when it was down to him or another bloke did most of the grid wave the “other bloke” through to make sure Plato didn’t win the series. ? He has said so himself more than once
Old 11 Jan 2019, 20:45 (Ref:3875594)   #2868
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
got to love the open hatred of Jason on here,

whats the matter jealous ?
In the last three years we've seen that the BTCC doesn't need Plato.

Nowadays his attitude and most of his fans just come across as tiresome. That said he's done a lot for the BTCC and will arguably always be the biggest name associated with the series, but I think most of us would rather see him retire rather than running around at the back - especially when drivers like Goff & Cook are struggling for seats.
Old 11 Jan 2019, 20:52 (Ref:3875595)   #2869
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Well said. If Plato can’t win races in a car capable of winning, it’s time that the young lions were looked at
Old 11 Jan 2019, 21:08 (Ref:3875600)   #2870
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Well said. If Plato can’t win races in a car capable of winning, it’s time that the young lions were looked at
Agreed, and that's becoming more and more relevant - I know he brings money with him, but does Plato offer teams anything long-term?

It would be hard to argue against the fact that his career is going to be ending soon. He has been beaten by teammates for 3 straight seasons now, in a sequence of finishes that reads 7th, 12th, 27th.

On paper, what does he offer a team that someone like Rob Austin doesn't?
Old 11 Jan 2019, 21:12 (Ref:3875601)   #2871
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Agreed, and that's becoming more and more relevant - I know he brings money with him, but does Plato offer teams anything long-term?

It would be hard to argue against the fact that his career is going to be ending soon. He has been beaten by teammates for 3 straight seasons now, in a sequence of finishes that reads 7th, 12th, 27th.

On paper, what does he offer a team that someone like Rob Austin doesn't?
Money, exposure and press coverage, without needing to turn to a crowdfunding effort to stay in the game. Also, considerable experience in terms of who to talk to and where to look for the big money, and a list of generous contacts far bigger than most other people have compiled over the years (the Neal family excepted).

So quite a lot, really. Last year Plato generated column inches and miles of forum posts/discussions simply by *not* being up front, and it's continuing this year before anyone knows what his intentions are.

He's had a few crap years and we're still talking about him. That's what Plato brings to any team that might want to take him in.
Old 11 Jan 2019, 21:14 (Ref:3875602)   #2872
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
But it’s no use if the car is not being driven to it’s maximum
Old 11 Jan 2019, 21:59 (Ref:3875608)   #2873
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Money, exposure and press coverage, without needing to turn to a crowdfunding effort to stay in the game. Also, considerable experience in terms of who to talk to and where to look for the big money, and a list of generous contacts far bigger than most other people have compiled over the years (the Neal family excepted).

So quite a lot, really. Last year Plato generated column inches and miles of forum posts/discussions simply by *not* being up front, and it's continuing this year before anyone knows what his intentions are.

He's had a few crap years and we're still talking about him. That's what Plato brings to any team that might want to take him in.
I get what you are saying, but how much of that brings something to the 'team', and how much of it is about the man himself?

In all of the column inches and forum chat, did BMR really gain anything?

He may have a great 'network', but again how much of that contributes to anything more than paying for his seat?

If it was a case of needing a driver to fund a seat to keep the TBL, then I can understand it. But the teams that will run a title contender already have enough behind them to stay on the grid.
Old 12 Jan 2019, 09:04 (Ref:3875662)   #2874
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
I get what you are saying, but how much of that brings something to the 'team', and how much of it is about the man himself?

In all of the column inches and forum chat, did BMR really gain anything?

He may have a great 'network', but again how much of that contributes to anything more than paying for his seat?

If it was a case of needing a driver to fund a seat to keep the TBL, then I can understand it. But the teams that will run a title contender already have enough behind them to stay on the grid.
I agree. It's a well known fact that I don't like JP (and I have my reasons), and although he does get lots of column inches and forum mentions I would say that not much of it is actually positive/constructive. I appreciate that there is a well worn phrase that 'no publicity is bad publicity' but if the team I ran was getting all of these comments pointing out that 'my' car, being driven by a so-called super driver (statistics show, multiple champion, almost 100 race wins, and that's without his own publicity machine) is incapable of getting anywhere near the pointy end are far greater than the publicity my 'other' (younger, quieter, less famous) driver who was getting the results, I would not be happy.

I view Plato as being similar to Mansell in that, if he has a good result, it's all down to him. If he has a bad result, its not his fault but someone else's, the car doesn't perform, FWD/RWD (delete where applicable) has too big an advantage, the accident(s) he was involved in were not his fault etc. It's all about him. You win as a team ("Thanks to my team, my sponsors and so on") but you lose as a team too. This is one of the reasons why I think a lot of teams would not want him on-board, irrespective of the money he maybring, but I also think that for the above reasons, that ability may be lessening now too...
(I will now put my flame proof clothing on and await the replies!)
Old 12 Jan 2019, 10:14 (Ref:3875673)   #2875
Overboost
Racer

Overboost should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOverboost should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Two names I have heard that are looking at BTCC drives as an option, Tom Wrigley & Jamie Caroline.