Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 12 Jan 2019, 10:21 (Ref:3875674)   #2876
BLiTZ
Racer

United Kingdom
BLiTZ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I agree. It's a well known fact that I don't like JP (and I have my reasons), and although he does get lots of column inches and forum mentions I would say that not much of it is actually positive/constructive. I appreciate that there is a well worn phrase that 'no publicity is bad publicity' but if the team I ran was getting all of these comments pointing out that 'my' car, being driven by a so-called super driver (statistics show, multiple champion, almost 100 race wins, and that's without his own publicity machine) is incapable of getting anywhere near the pointy end are far greater than the publicity my 'other' (younger, quieter, less famous) driver who was getting the results, I would not be happy.

I view Plato as being similar to Mansell in that, if he has a good result, it's all down to him. If he has a bad result, its not his fault but someone else's, the car doesn't perform, FWD/RWD (delete where applicable) has too big an advantage, the accident(s) he was involved in were not his fault etc. It's all about him. You win as a team ("Thanks to my team, my sponsors and so on") but you lose as a team too. This is one of the reasons why I think a lot of teams would not want him on-board, irrespective of the money he maybring, but I also think that for the above reasons, that ability may be lessening now too...
(I will now put my flame proof clothing on and await the replies!)
Well said! In the last three years I think Plato's 'marketing' has done more harm to the Subaru campaign than it did good.

First Year: After 'bringing the deal together', he 'bigs' the car up to be a super mythical unicorn of unbeatable existence so much that when the inevitable teething problems arise, people are hyper critical of the team/car (myself included). Rest of the season his lack of pace is blamed on lack of development etc.

Year Two: He shunts the car at Brands, cue a year-long perma-excuse for his lack of performance that appears to tear apart the team in terms of moral and somewhat sours the fact that Ash drove the balls off the car to take the championship. (Funny how we saw more coverage of Plato's lack of performance than Sutton's success?!)

Year Three: We get the silent treatment. 'Crash-related car issues rectified' he still can't get the thing to go well so bat and ball are taken home and Subaru get hardly any mention again despite Ash peddling well. Perhaps a retaliation to the fact that he's only there to keep the team afloat financially (if rumours were true they'd have had no engines had he not opened his wallet).

All in all not the best experience from Subaru UK's perspective and after the trials and tribulations at MG I doubt he has the credibility to bring another manufacturer to the grid again. Would you want to get involved in the series if the driver you're funding spends half the year slagging off your car?

Whilst he's a great marketing man, he's far too quick to point blame unlike drivers like Ingram, Turkington, Shedden etc who manage to 'look on the bright side' when success doesn't go their way in a race.
Old 12 Jan 2019, 10:56 (Ref:3875681)   #2877
piekey
Rookie

piekey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think a press release/unveiling is very iminent from Bart @ Motorbase.

Some interest seat/team changes with teams now leaning towards business sense, taking ££ from a driver rather than raw talent.

Some big names will be without a drive for sure.
Old 12 Jan 2019, 11:29 (Ref:3875687)   #2878
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Autodptt show nearly over {as of posting, Saturday lunchtime, all reveals done and none expected for Sunday) , BTCC-wise I think it's posed more questions than it answered.

Great to see Clio's replaced by Mini Challenge. AMD Civic and Trade Price S3 both look mega. Everything else on show seems a bit underwhelming. I guess a lot of late deals being worked on.
Old 12 Jan 2019, 11:31 (Ref:3875688)   #2879
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by piekey View Post
I think a press release/unveiling is very iminent from Bart @ Motorbase.

Some interest seat/team changes with teams now leaning towards business sense, taking ££ from a driver rather than raw talent.

Some big names will be without a drive for sure.
Hamilton will be revealed away from Autosport as his unveiling will be a headline act (not that I agree with him having a drive)

Your right tho, I see a few big names missing in 2019 such as Austin, Goff, Jackson, Collard (maybe on medical) .. I wonder how many of these may end up in Maximum Motorsports series
Old 12 Jan 2019, 12:18 (Ref:3875695)   #2880
mprmke
Racer

mprmke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As things stand it looks highly unlikely that Goff will get a drive, which is a shame as he's a proven race winner.

Nic Hamilton at Motorbase is a done deal, been signed for a while, just not announced yet. Obviously, it won't be a Shredded Wheat-Sponsored car.

Mat Jackson will be alongside Smiley at BTC Norlin.

Almost every team would love Plato to be driving for them. The publicity and PR he brings would be immense. He's the biggest name and biggest draw in the BTCC by a country mile. As someone has already alluded to, which other driver would bring a vast amount of publicity for struggling towards the back of the grid? Get him back up the sharp end and the sky is the limit. That said, he's a shrewd operator and will only be on the grid this season if the right deal is there. By far the most likely destination would be at Power Maxed Racing, but we'll see. It would be a crying shame not to see him on the grid, but it's 50/50 st the moment.
Old 12 Jan 2019, 12:28 (Ref:3875696)   #2881
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiiiiiiim View Post
There is one driver no-one seems to of mentioned who has a decent amount of backing and won’t be returning with the team he raced for last year - James Cole. His recent comments seem to point to him being back on the grid again this year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by btccbloke View Post
I think the BTC Norlin link is strong with this one
They spent last year sponsored by various rock concerts, he brings money from ticketmaster
I've heard Cole's name mentioned around the second TPC car. But I've also heard Proctor linked with that too, and I don't believe it's the only option for either.
Old 12 Jan 2019, 12:31 (Ref:3875697)   #2882
mprmke
Racer

mprmke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic View Post
I've heard Cole's name mentioned around the second TPC car. But I've also heard Proctor linked with that too, and I don't believe it's the only option for either.
That's where I have been expecting to see Proctor end up, but that's only based on my general thoughts and snippets of info I've been given. That seat is still up for grabs and yes, by the way Cole posted the other day it suggests that he will be on the grid next season and there aren't many options left for him, so he's got to be another candidate.
Old 12 Jan 2019, 12:44 (Ref:3875700)   #2883
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It will be interesting to see where Cole fits in this season. A solid driver who can do a good job. I just hope Goff gets a seat
Old 12 Jan 2019, 12:56 (Ref:3875702)   #2884
Plato
Rookie

Netherlands
Patagonia
Plato User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
In the last three years we've seen that the BTCC doesn't need Plato.

Nowadays his attitude and most of his fans just come across as tiresome. That said he's done a lot for the BTCC and will arguably always be the biggest name associated with the series, but I think most of us would rather see him retire rather than running around at the back - especially when drivers like Goff & Cook are struggling for seats.
Yet he still winds you and others up,
Its hilarious
Old 12 Jan 2019, 13:46 (Ref:3875706)   #2885
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
It will be interesting to see where Cole fits in this season. A solid driver who can do a good job. I just hope Goff gets a seat
I don't know if he is really "solid" few good drives at the start of 2018 and largely anonymous after Donnington.
Got a win in the Subaru when they were dominating but wasn't on the pace much aside from that, prior to that no results worth talking about.
I strongly think he has the BTC Norlin seat through sponsor links but I could probably name a dozen drivers who have made no announcements and would be better in that seat (Goff included)
Old 12 Jan 2019, 13:52 (Ref:3875707)   #2886
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by btccbloke View Post
I don't know if he is really "solid" few good drives at the start of 2018 and largely anonymous after Donnington.

Got a win in the Subaru when they were dominating but wasn't on the pace much aside from that, prior to that no results worth talking about.

I strongly think he has the BTC Norlin seat through sponsor links but I could probably name a dozen drivers who have made no announcements and would be better in that seat (Goff included)

No prior results to speak about before his win? Have you forgotten his two previous weekends at Snetterton and Knockhill?
Old 12 Jan 2019, 13:56 (Ref:3875709)   #2887
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Robin Marriott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plato View Post
Yet he still winds you and others up,
Its hilarious
Try a new angle, this one’s a bit dull.
Old 12 Jan 2019, 13:58 (Ref:3875710)   #2888
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
No prior results to speak about before his win? Have you forgotten his two previous weekends at Snetterton and Knockhill?

Just looked it up, and yes, rather forgettable 5th places in a dominant car and 17th in the series with 8 points finishes whilst his team mate won the title,
Similar to 2018, 21st while his team mate was 3rd.

The only way James's performances are "solid" are that he doesn't have too many accidents, certainly isn't someone a team can rely on as a contender, a wingman or even regular point scorer
Old 12 Jan 2019, 13:58 (Ref:3875711)   #2889
Plato
Rookie

Netherlands
Patagonia
Plato User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Marriott View Post
Try a new angle, this one’s a bit dull.
Not trying any angle at all,

Got no interest in angles, kinda things trolls have interest in.

If you don't like it feel free to place me on ignore or leave some feedback,
Wait this isn't Ebay.
Have a nice day
Old 12 Jan 2019, 14:29 (Ref:3875713)   #2890
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

If you don't like it feel free to place me on ignore or leave some feedback,
Wait this isn't Ebay.
Have a nice day
You do realise that you are posting on a forum that uses reputation, and has an ignore option?
Old 12 Jan 2019, 14:42 (Ref:3875718)   #2891
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Got no interest in angles, kinda things trolls have interest in.
Indeed. Indeed, they do.
Old 12 Jan 2019, 14:54 (Ref:3875722)   #2892
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
You do realise that you are posting on a forum that uses reputation, and has an ignore option?
Out of interest, how do you use the ignore option?
Old 12 Jan 2019, 14:56 (Ref:3875723)   #2893
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwood View Post
Out of interest, how do you use the ignore option?
Click on "My CP" in the top left of the screen. There's a menu on the left of the new screen. Midway down, "Edit Ignore List", then enter "Akrapovic" into the username box.
Old 12 Jan 2019, 16:26 (Ref:3875729)   #2894
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Cole has a deal signed I am led to believe. I am surprised he didn't continue at Motorbase as he is solid, he brings backing and Bartie likes him. Maybe Cole, like Tordoff wasn't impressed with the Focus/ Motorbase? To me it's clear the Focus in Tom Chiltons hands was consistently good, so I conclude that the Focus is a decent set of wheels and I have long believed Motorbase to be a good team. Maybe Nic Hamiltons backing and publicity was a more attractive option for Motorbase than James - that's what I think.

Not much speculation as to who is in at BMR, I genuinely don't know who is driving - if anyone at this stage - or what sponsorship they have. I think Flux are gone, whether that is gone with JP or gone gone I don't know.

Still hoping that AWE may arrive with funding... be awesome to see him and Hill in those Audis.
Old 12 Jan 2019, 16:30 (Ref:3875730)   #2895
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overboost View Post
Two names I have heard that are looking at BTCC drives as an option, Tom Wrigley & Jamie Caroline.
Jamie barely managed to race in 2018 so I very much doubt he has the budget needed for the BTCC.

Not sure whether it's a good thing or a bad thing but there are certainly more drivers interested than they are seats avaliable. As someone mentioned, it looks like a lot of big names will be missing this year.
Old 12 Jan 2019, 16:30 (Ref:3875731)   #2896
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Still hoping that AWE may arrive with funding... be awesome to see him and Hill in those Audis.
I don't expect to see AWE back, by my reckoning there is only the 2nd MG seat free.
Old 12 Jan 2019, 16:35 (Ref:3875735)   #2897
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
Not sure whether it's a good thing or a bad thing but there are certainly more drivers interested than they are seats avaliable. As someone mentioned, it looks like a lot of big names will be missing this year.
That's racing these days and it's maybe a sign of how popular the BTCC has become. Look at Garth Tander in Australia getting dropped for someone bringing in sponsorship, when he had a confirmed deal.
Old 12 Jan 2019, 16:50 (Ref:3875736)   #2898
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
Calling my little prediction for the remaining seats:

Motorbase - Hamilton (pretty much a given)

BTC1 - Smiley (Feel this is a given)
BTC2 - Cole (Ticketmaster sponsorship sits nicely with Norlins previous sponsor arrangements)

PMR1 - Plato (for all the reasons stated before)
PMR2 - Proctor (initially thought Cook, but Plato would have an easier time against Proctor)

XLR8 - Whorton Eals (Has experience of the car (brief) and expect he knows XLR8 people from 2018)

BMR1 - Sutton (nothing to suggest otherwise)
BMR2 - Newbie with money

Parker - Jelley (nothing to suggest otherwise)

TPC - Ollie Pidgley

Meaning among other things the end of the road for Cook (will have a last year in Clios), Goff (British GTs/24hr series), Austin (Maximum Trophy), Lloyd (TCR of some sort or Maximum Trophy) and Collard (retire on medical grounds) and no return for popular guys like Jackson (back to doing nothing) or Epps (Ginettas)

....lets see how I do

Last edited by btccbloke; 12 Jan 2019 at 16:58.
Old 12 Jan 2019, 17:01 (Ref:3875739)   #2899
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I think it would be a shame if Josh Cook doesn't return (especially if the main reason for this being poor old JP is frightened to have such a talented team mate who might show him up - again!). I think he has great talent and although has been off the rails and over aggressive on occasions, he does appear to be able to race hard but far, as his duel with Ash Sutton in the final race last year showed. I'm sorry, but I certainly hope you're wrong on this one.
Old 12 Jan 2019, 17:02 (Ref:3875740)   #2900
RS67
Veteran

RS67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=btccbloke;3875706]I don't know if he is really "solid" few good drives at the start of 2018 and largely anonymous after Donnington.
[/ 5QUOTE]
It doesn't matter whether Subarus were dominating or not, he still required the ability to drive the car. He stuck it on pole and led lights to flag. Plenty of other drivers struggle to do that. I'd like to see him remain at Motorbase, he needs the stability of another season in a car he is used to to get some consistency in his results.