Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 10 Feb 2019, 19:21 (Ref:3883025)   #651
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
After Brexit will we no longer have to enter the EU song contest?
Old 10 Feb 2019, 19:30 (Ref:3883028)   #652
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
We're leaving the European Union, not Europe. So yes we are still involved in the tuneless competition.
Old 10 Feb 2019, 19:35 (Ref:3883029)   #653
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Wasn't the only time we ever won it long before we joined the EEC?
Old 10 Feb 2019, 19:37 (Ref:3883030)   #654
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
Wasn't the only time we ever won it long before we joined the EEC?

More to the point, how many of the entries are from countries in Europe?
Old 10 Feb 2019, 19:41 (Ref:3883032)   #655
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
And this weekend's Rugby score v England is not going to improve things!

And after last week's injuries I think England were playing their B team?

Rugby is a strange game.
Old 10 Feb 2019, 19:44 (Ref:3883035)   #656
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
More to the point, how many of the entries are from countries in Europe?
Russia and Australia are in Europe aren't they?
Old 10 Feb 2019, 19:49 (Ref:3883037)   #657
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Just watched about 90 seconds of the UK entry, imaginative lyrics, great dress sense and he can sing..............NOT. carry on then.
Old 10 Feb 2019, 20:12 (Ref:3883041)   #658
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Russia and Australia are in Europe aren't they?

And Israel.

I thought the only reason anyone in the UK ever watched the thing was to enjoy Wogan's commentary. Obviously that would not be a current reason.
Old 10 Feb 2019, 20:28 (Ref:3883046)   #659
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
And Israel.

I thought the only reason anyone in the UK ever watched the thing was to enjoy Wogan's commentary. Obviously that would not be a current reason.
Dunno, some people are strange, I was speaking to someone today that watches Strictly and I'm a Celebrity, they also go to Ikea because they want to.
Old 10 Feb 2019, 20:51 (Ref:3883050)   #660
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Dunno, some people are strange, I was speaking to someone today that watches Strictly and I'm a Celebrity, they also go to Ikea because they want to.

Were you talking to my wife?

Even the Ikea bit - but usually only when there is a purpose.

Haven't been to Ikea myself for some years. The Swedish meatball lunch was a nice reminder of the many work trips I made to Stockholm back a few decades ago.

And the Dill flavoured crisps.
Old 11 Feb 2019, 01:53 (Ref:3883086)   #661
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I was shocked to read that apparently Australia has upped and moved... apparently Aus has contested the Eurovision song contest since 2015
Old 11 Feb 2019, 05:35 (Ref:3883111)   #662
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Going to Ikea just to see furniture in kit… puzzles me. If you like to see what a real politician is, have a look to Manuel Valls personal file. Born in Spain, probably his father knew Franco. Went to France, brilliant guy -I mean Manuel…-, mayor of a great town, french PM, wanted to be president for the left side déculotté aux présidentielles wanted to be Barcelona mayor for the left sidedéculotté aux élections and now protesting at Madrid for the right side. I wonder when someone will buy a decent pair of trousers to this half naked SoB?
Old 11 Feb 2019, 06:26 (Ref:3883119)   #663
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Well perhaps after brexit Ikea will retreat from the ‘Independent states of the UK’ or at least start serving proper grub......

So, soft brexit now on the cards?
Old 11 Feb 2019, 08:49 (Ref:3883142)   #664
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I received a pm from a member who voted remain and went to great pains to tell me that the Irish government was not at fault but that the UK as a whole is wrong to permit this to happen.

I respect the peron's position and indeed even understand it to an extent but, and this is a big but. The GF agreement is quite clear that there should be no hard border between North and South, so I do find it very odd that the Irish Government is pushing so hard to create one.

As to a soft Brexit? Life will be worse than being in.
Old 11 Feb 2019, 10:27 (Ref:3883172)   #665
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Going to Ikea just to see furniture in kit… puzzles me. If you like to see what a real politician is, have a look to Manuel Valls personal file. Born in Spain, probably his father knew Franco. Went to France, brilliant guy -I mean Manuel…-, mayor of a great town, french PM, wanted to be president for the left side déculotté aux présidentielles wanted to be Barcelona mayor for the left sidedéculotté aux élections and now protesting at Madrid for the right side. I wonder when someone will buy a decent pair of trousers to this half naked SoB?
Right in line with the guy in Holland who was well known as anti-muslim.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...become-muslim/

It's one thing to decide that whatever evidence one might have heard on a subject is wrong and to decide to publicise one's new understanding but quite a different level of thought must be necessary to completely convert one's views and abandon almost everything that one's life has been about. And yet such 'flexibility' seems to be a trait of those who seek power, though perhaps not quite so obviously as with this apparent example.
Old 11 Feb 2019, 10:38 (Ref:3883178)   #666
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I can proudly conform that I have never been to Ikea, are they in the EU?
Old 11 Feb 2019, 10:59 (Ref:3883187)   #667
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
It will certainly be more complicated!
Old 11 Feb 2019, 11:16 (Ref:3883191)   #668
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
I was shocked to read that apparently Australia has upped and moved... apparently Aus has contested the Eurovision song contest since 2015
You should be worried EB, the song contest is just the thin edge of the wedge, soon you will be unable to cross the Irish Backstop Border, use proper light bulbs, be ruled by unelected busy bodies, and not allowed back in to the UK.

Make a run for Papua New Guinea while you can.
Old 11 Feb 2019, 11:18 (Ref:3883194)   #669
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Right in line with the guy in Holland who was well known as anti-muslim.
Quote:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...become-muslim/

It's one thing to decide that whatever evidence one might have heard on a subject is wrong and to decide to publicise one's new understanding but quite a different level of thought must be necessary to completely convert one's views and abandon almost everything that one's life has been about. And yet such 'flexibility' seems to be a trait of those who seek power, though perhaps not quite so obviously as with this apparent example.
How could anyone be anti muslm?
Old 11 Feb 2019, 12:40 (Ref:3883223)   #670
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Let’s not let religion get into the Brexit discussion, please.
Old 11 Feb 2019, 13:20 (Ref:3883232)   #671
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Let’s not let religion get into the Brexit discussion, please.

Agreed, although there are aspects of the EU that would probably qualify it for religious status ...
Old 11 Feb 2019, 17:58 (Ref:3883307)   #672
Terence Bower
Rookie

Germany
Terence Bower should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
[B]

How could anyone be anti muslm?
😂😂
Old 12 Feb 2019, 12:41 (Ref:3883506)   #673
Podd37
Racer

Ireland
Dublin
Podd37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The broad sunlit uplands of next March. Yeah, really. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I received a pm from a member who voted remain and went to great pains to tell me that the Irish government was not at fault but that the UK as a whole is wrong to permit this to happen.

I respect the peron's position and indeed even understand it to an extent but, and this is a big but. The GF agreement is quite clear that there should be no hard border between North and South, so I do find it very odd that the Irish Government is pushing so hard to create one.

Not sure where you are getting your information Peter but the Irish Govt are absolutely not pushing for a hard border. As someone who lived through the bloody war (and that is what it was, not the soft ‘troubles’ word bandied around, it was a war with horrific consequences on both sides) believe me, no-one wants that horror back again and a border will create it. The UK chose to leave, nothing to do with us. The Irish govt have, must and are elected to protect the interests of the republic. And as a nation, the most recent poll shows 92% here want to stay in the EU, a number which has risen steadily in the last 10 yrs. We are not anti uk we are just trying to fight like hell to protect ourselves.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12 Feb 2019, 13:06 (Ref:3883508)   #674
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podd37 View Post
And as a nation, the most recent poll shows 92% here want to stay in the EU, a number which has risen steadily in the last 10 yrs. We are not anti uk we are just trying to fight like hell to protect ourselves.

Interesting.

What has changed in the past decade or so since the earlier vote to leave the EU and the subsequent re-vote to reverse that position when the EU objected?
Old 12 Feb 2019, 13:16 (Ref:3883513)   #675
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
But the UK as a whole voted to leave. What is happening is that certain parties are suggesting that because the UK wants to leave it is responsible for creating a hard border. As we know such a thing is unnecessary. Even if there's a hard Brexit borders won't be shut to UK or UK bound goods.

As reported the current regime, in terms of customs checks etc. On goods will remain.

The Irish backstop is a failed attempt to circumvent the will of the UK. If it had a break clause there would be no issue. But without a break clause the UK government cannot honour the referendum because it would be locked into the EU without any say in what goes on. Hence it is not the UK creating the problem but the EU.