Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 10 Feb 2019, 17:59 (Ref:3882993)   #376
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Is Spa gentlemen drivers for MG owners only? Do you have the date?
Old 10 Feb 2019, 18:07 (Ref:3882994)   #377
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Is Spa gentlemen drivers for MG owners only? Do you have the date?
Keep up at the back Gerard! Masters nearly always have a GD race at the Spa 6hrs.....

See the intro on the specific 6hrs thread.......
Old 10 Feb 2019, 18:19 (Ref:3882997)   #378
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCCheddaris View Post
Consternation over on the Classic F3 Association website at the price of the entry fee for Classic F3 races at the Silverstone Classic . Strangely the Historic F2 entry fee is £995 compared to £1150 for the Classic F3 race . Several competitors debating if it's worth it just to compete on the modern GP circuit .
The F3 race(s) are combined HSCC and HVM, and the F2 purely HSCC. It could be that the HSCC get a better deal for F2 as they run the race programme at the event? Just surmising.....

Personally, the circuit isn’t worth those entry fees, in my opinion. But as discussed nearly every year, the overheads of the Classic are huge, as are the layers of organisation all taking a cut......

Will, welcome to the real world of historic racing! If you think any entry fees mentioned recently are big, wait until Monaco Historique and Le Mans Classic come round again. Then you’ll see ‘big’........
Old 10 Feb 2019, 18:46 (Ref:3883012)   #379
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
What do you mean by big? If 2750 € each Sixties race are worth all in all what is big are the 13500 € for the season in one payment made mid February. This hurts even tho being a 3000 € rebate… My grandma could tell you "being poor is unaffordable" !
Old 10 Feb 2019, 18:56 (Ref:3883014)   #380
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
The F3 race(s) are combined HSCC and HVM, and the F2 purely HSCC. It could be that the HSCC get a better deal for F2 as they run the race programme at the event? Just surmising.....

Personally, the circuit isn’t worth those entry fees, in my opinion. But as discussed nearly every year, the overheads of the Classic are huge, as are the layers of organisation all taking a cut......

Will, welcome to the real world of historic racing! If you think any entry fees mentioned recently are big, wait until Monaco Historique and Le Mans Classic come round again. Then you’ll see ‘big’........
Shame it has to be that pricey as with some grids struggling (definetly not F2 or F3) but for others.With Monaco and LMC the prices dont mean much to some who go.Also its we are talking about two of (if not) the biggest tracks in the world so the entry fee can be surpasses by the rarity and experience of driving there.You might miss a couple of races or more just to do that one race.Thats what my old man (dont menrion that to him) has said when he was racing he makes sure every year his name was in that programme at Brands Hatch GP as its one not to be missed eas it was the standout round (and still is for the club in mention.

On the nature of historics I might be joining it soon as I have talked sbout before my dad and me are getting our 90s kart back together and plan on testing and finally maybe doing some f100 Spirit of the 90s stuff.Should be fun .
Old 10 Feb 2019, 19:41 (Ref:3883031)   #381
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
GCCheddaris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This may be a daft question but is there such a thing as prize money any more to offset the cost of entering ?
Old 11 Feb 2019, 05:51 (Ref:3883114)   #382
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
This may be a daft question but is there such a thing as prize money any more to offset the cost of entering ?
(Apologies, it's not a daft question )

This is rare (if not unique)- a proposed race meting at Estoril in October where start money is promised for Pre 86 F1 and Pre 75 SCs....

"We will be working with Diogo Ferrao of Race Ready organising races for pre-1975 Sports Cars and Formula 1 cars up to 1985 at the Estoril Classics meeting on 11-13 October. Both these races have attracted sponsorship and in the case of the F1 cars, substantial start money will be paid to all competitors. In the case of the sports cars, the first 20 competitors to enter will be paid start money."
Old 11 Feb 2019, 08:19 (Ref:3883130)   #383
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
(Apologies, it's not a daft question )

This is rare (if not unique)- a proposed race meting at Estoril in October where start money is promised for Pre 86 F1 and Pre 75 SCs....

"We will be working with Diogo Ferrao of Race Ready organising races for pre-1975 Sports Cars and Formula 1 cars up to 1985 at the Estoril Classics meeting on 11-13 October. Both these races have attracted sponsorship and in the case of the F1 cars, substantial start money will be paid to all competitors. In the case of the sports cars, the first 20 competitors to enter will be paid start money."
1985 blimey getting serious now 😁.20(if they can get to that number)would be great
Old 11 Feb 2019, 08:27 (Ref:3883133)   #384
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmaz223 View Post
1985 blimey getting serious now 😁
1985 is the same cut-off date that the FiA Masters F1 Championship has. The event date is after the Masters season has finished, so it could be of interest to anyone that still has a healthy car....
Old 11 Feb 2019, 10:04 (Ref:3883157)   #385
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Yes, I'm hoping to claim Force Majeure since I'm not always in the UK or Europe. If not then perhaps I'll wait and do the Gold Cup with the HSCC.
Are you still running the Rover this year too?
Old 11 Feb 2019, 10:23 (Ref:3883168)   #386
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
No the Rover will be sold sometime this year.
Old 11 Feb 2019, 10:45 (Ref:3883181)   #387
Willmaz223
Veteran

Quote:
1985 is the same cut-off date that the FiA Masters F1 Championship has. The event date is after the Masters season has finished, so it could be of interest to anyone that still has a healthy car....
Is it,oh I thought it was 82.Hopefull HF1 can get some better grids,I believe at Zandvoort there was 9.Even the classic got 23.I know its still good when you consider the cars and money.
Old 11 Feb 2019, 11:12 (Ref:3883189)   #388
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Is it,oh I thought it was 82.
No, it’s for cars from 1966 to 1985. All the info is on Masters website.

Pre 1966 F1 is covered by HGPCA, and 1985 was chosen as the FiA cut-off as the cars were still relatively simple then. Although the later cars run in the ‘ground effect’ class, they are limited to one set of skirts per meeting, and these have to be fixed, so cannot slide vertically or be adjusted.
Old 11 Feb 2019, 12:09 (Ref:3883213)   #389
Willmaz223
Veteran

Quote:
No, it’s for cars from 1966 to 1985. All the info is on Masters website.

Pre 1966 F1 is covered by HGPCA, and 1985 was chosen as the FiA cut-off as the cars were still relatively simple then. Although the later cars run in the ‘ground effect’ class, they are limited to one set of skirts per meeting, and these have to be fixed, so cannot slide vertically or be adjusted.
You don't see many f1 cars from 66 to 72 ish.

Watchimg the Grand Tour and the piece they did of Jim Clark I thought was fantastic.
Old 11 Feb 2019, 12:38 (Ref:3883222)   #390
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
You don't see many f1 cars from 66 to 72 ish.
Maybe perceived by prospective owners to be slow in comparison, or there are less cars around / survived full stop......

At the Brit GP support there were 5 (total grid 28) ‘Stewart’ class Pre ‘73 cars, which was likely most of the season. The best finished 8th, so not that uncompetitive!
Old 11 Feb 2019, 18:43 (Ref:3883313)   #391
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Mike, I try my best to keep up at the back but may I ask why Silverstone Classic would not be worth the money asked? Its said to be one of your flagship and to any foreigner sounds like the place to be. I feel missing something, probably because I dont know you other tracks, but what?
Old 11 Feb 2019, 19:14 (Ref:3883318)   #392
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Mike, I try my best to keep up at the back but may I ask why Silverstone Classic would not be worth the money asked? Its said to be one of your flagship and to any foreigner sounds like the place to be. I feel missing something, probably because I dont know you other tracks, but what?
It’s the circuit layout that isn’t, in my opinion worth paying a premium to race on. I’m not a fan of the current GP configuration, even when the faster ‘historic’ Vale corner is used. In the UK, Brands Hatch GP or Donington are far nicer to drive. (Again, my opinion.)

Silverstone Classic as an event is superb, as long as you accept that because it attracts huge numbers of spectators it is very busy. More like LMC in that respect, complete with massive car club displays, Music concert and other activities for families. That side of the meeting I really enjoy.

One issue that can’t be overcome is having to use two different pits and paddocks to accommodate all the race cars- the original ‘National’ for morning races, and the new ‘Wing’ complex and paddock for afternoon races. So if you’ve got cars running AM and PM, you have to shuttle between the two paddocks, possibly with spares and equipment, negotiating the crowds of spectators carefully at the same time! It doesn’t bother me as you get used to it, but it does put some racers off.

Old 11 Feb 2019, 19:48 (Ref:3883330)   #393
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Thank you, I had got the picture that you are only giving your opinion. For instance, Jean Marc you met last year would love to go back, (he is one of the few who has entered every LMC edition) he reports the two events being on his wish list. Parfois, l'herbe semble plus verte dans le pré d'en face! In other words, attractive and exotic!
Old 20 Feb 2019, 09:00 (Ref:3885506)   #394
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Email from UK Motorsport regarding their 'Pre '64 series'-

"Pre ’64 is GO
The launch of our own new Series.
This is for road going production sports, saloons or GT cars which were built before 1964 (later cars accepted but must be to 1964 spec)"

• Cars must be below 2900cc although larger cc cars will be accepted on an individual invitation basis

• FIA compliant including use of Dunlop tyres

• All 30 minute races

Proposed dates (subject to confirmation)-
Saturday April 20th – Donington
Saturday May 25th – Snetterton
Sunday June 9th – Brands Hatch
Sunday June 16th – Mallory Park
Sunday July 28th – Cadwell Park
Saturday August 3rd – Silverstone
Saturday October 12th – Lydden Hill

And their full calendar-

Saturday April 6th – Silverstone (National) – Tin Tops, Super Saloons, Intermarque (2 x 15 mins)
Saturday April 20th – Donington (AMOC) – Pre ‘64
Saturday April 27th – Brands Hatch (Indy) - Super Saloons, Intermarque (2 x 15 mins)
Sunday April 28th – Brands Hatch (Indy) - Tin Tops (1 x 30 mins)
Saturday May 25th – Snetterton (300)(BRSCC) – Pre ‘64/Classic Series
Sunday May 26th – Snetterton (300) - Tin Tops, Super Saloons, Intermarque - (2 x 15 mins)
Sunday June 9th – Brands Hatch (Indy)(AMOC) – Pre ‘64
Sunday June 16th – Mallory - CMMC Classic and Modern Motorsport Festival
Sunday July 7th – Castle Combe – Intermarque only
Sunday July 28th – Cadwell Park (full) – CMMC Race Meeting
Saturday August 3rd – Silverstone (National) – BDC invite
Sunday August 4th – Brands Hatch (GP) – Tin tops, Super Saloons, Intermarque
Saturday September 28th – Brands Hatch (Indy) – Tin Tops - (1 x 30 mins)
Sunday September 29th – Brands Hatch (Indy) – Super Saloons, Intermarque - (2 x 15 mins)
Saturday October 12th – Lydden Hill – CMMC Race Meeting
Old 22 Feb 2019, 19:28 (Ref:3886020)   #395
Willmaz223
Veteran

Looking at the HSCC chart looks like the Pre 80 Endurance is now called Thundersports.Interesting to see if this changes anything.Hopefully the series can attract better grids after a rather poor season last year.
Old 22 Feb 2019, 21:22 (Ref:3886045)   #396
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
GCCheddaris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As well as changing the name didn't the HSCC also open the 'Thundersports' series up to newer Sports 2000 cars in an attempt to increase grid numbers ?

Talking of attempts to increase grid numbers I see the HSCC's Dunlop Saloon Car Cup ( nee Super Touring Cars ) will feature a class for Group 1/1.5 cars racing on slick tyres . I wonder how much this will impact on MRL's HTCC series ? I suppose only time will tell but , along with the new UK Motorsport Pre '64 Saloon/Sports series , it seems the cake is being cut into ever more , but probably smaller slices .

Finally , over on the Classic F3 website some good news as their entry fee for the Silverstone Classic has been reduced to the same level as the Historic F2 racers , £995 .
Old 22 Feb 2019, 21:31 (Ref:3886046)   #397
Willmaz223
Veteran

Quote:
As well as changing the name didn't the HSCC also open the 'Thundersports' series up to newer Sports 2000 cars in an attempt to increase grid numbers ?

Talking of attempts to increase grid numbers I see the HSCC's Dunlop Saloon Car Cup ( nee Super Touring Cars ) will feature a class for Group 1/1.5 cars racing on slick tyres . I wonder how much this will impact on MRL's HTCC series ? I suppose only time will tell but , along with the new UK Motorsport Pre '64 Saloon/Sports series , it seems the cake is being cut into ever more , but probably smaller slices .

Finally , over on the Classic F3 website some good news as their entry fee for the Silverstone Classic has been reduced to the same level as the Historic F2 racers , £995 .
I believe they did.

Maybe although as they are different races,sprint and enduro and most dates dont cpash it may just be extra races.They've got good interest so hopefully both do well and in the case of HTCC continue to do so.
Old 22 Feb 2019, 22:12 (Ref:3886052)   #398
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Thundersports. Those were the days. I did half a season in an Aquila S2000

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 23 Feb 2019, 01:35 (Ref:3886078)   #399
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I seem to recall Thundersports grids were improved by S2000 some were very quick with tweeks.
Old 23 Feb 2019, 05:31 (Ref:3886092)   #400
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

Don't think it will make much difference since Dunlop don't make slicks to fit many of the cars.

I tried to get some for my Rover for the CER series and in the end we got them to accept running on Yoko or Toyo tyres.