Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Mar 2019, 10:02 (Ref:3890379)   #1526
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
I'm not trying to defend Sky but I would point out any TV rights, even between Sky and C4 would have to be approved by FOM, I'm sure they would have set minimum that Sky must provide within an endorsed highlights package. Had FOM wanted more than 50% programme length to be track action they would have insisted on more.
As for no grid walk or pen interviews of their own, are these essential to a highlights programme?

Sky have said that they won't have The Chain, it was used in the background of the advert as a historical reference as to many it is synonymous with televised F1.

Very much the way that things were dealt with when the BBC had the worldwide TV rights for F1. It was only internal politics within the Beeb, as well as external politics, that made it a must for the bosses at the BBC to walk away from the contract they had.

If they, the BBC, had managed the contract judicially and properly monetised their worldwide TV rights holding, then the cost to the licence holder should have been neutral at worst but with a profit at best.
Old 14 Mar 2019, 10:45 (Ref:3890387)   #1527
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Could the beeb have made any money from this worldwide? Surely they didn’t own the rights in any other country? Although they produced the shows for others.
Old 14 Mar 2019, 10:52 (Ref:3890389)   #1528
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
As for no grid walk or pen interviews of their own, are these essential to a highlights programme?
They're going to need something to fill the 50% that's not the race

I assume they'll be allowed to show the Sky interviews - but then of course you get the Sky logos plastered all over it which isn't ideal for Channel 4.

I can safely say I'll be watching less Formula 1 this year than I have since the early 90's. Well played Bernie.
Old 14 Mar 2019, 11:07 (Ref:3890395)   #1529
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Could the beeb have made any money from this worldwide? Surely they didn’t own the rights in any other country? Although they produced the shows for others.

They certainly had the rights for the rest of the world that hadn't a contract with FOM. For example, broadcasters from Germany and France used to have their own rights, whilst this allowed the BBC to sell the production - with or without the Beeb's own commentary/presenters - to other countries such as Canada and Australia.

It must also be borne in mind that it is FOM that actually produces and is responsibility for the direction of all the filming of track action and other official filming such as the podium ceremony. And as pointed out to me, just not at Monaco.
Old 14 Mar 2019, 13:14 (Ref:3890426)   #1530
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think I'm right in saying that the FOM own the rights to all the world Feed pictures as well as commentaries. As pointed out they provide the world feed through their own production team at all events except Monaco.

That's why Sky have access to the historic races through their contract. In those you here the English language commentary from BBC and ITV. Sky do not need to credit the pictures or audio to BBC or ITV.

Likewise, for example whomever has the current German rights for example would have access to all the historic races with German language commentary regardless of which broadcaster the commentator worked for at the time.

This is also the reason that F1.com can use Croft/Brundle commentaries in their website and youtube clips without having to credit Sky Sports for their usage.
Old 14 Mar 2019, 13:22 (Ref:3890430)   #1531
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
dont know the breakdown between broadcasters but according to this forbes article FOM received $601.2 million from all TV broadcasters...i assume a large chunk of that is from SKY.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/csylt/2.../#3a72570d3b5c
That's less money than Nascar gets from Fox and NBC...
Old 14 Mar 2019, 13:35 (Ref:3890434)   #1532
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
The Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series has over 30 races and then there is the Xfinity series and Truck series.
Old 14 Mar 2019, 13:51 (Ref:3890442)   #1533
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Yes, I read NASCAR receive $740 million pa from those two. ($300m from FOX and $440m pa from NBC.
Old 14 Mar 2019, 14:21 (Ref:3890451)   #1534
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
From this BBC Article ...hopefully not geo-locked

Quote:
The Sky deal is worth a reputed ÂŁ1.2bn to F1 over its duration. That means income from Sky UK alone amounts to about 11% of F1's turnover and Sky has effectively become the sport's biggest single sponsor.
Old 14 Mar 2019, 14:34 (Ref:3890453)   #1535
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
From this BBC Article ...hopefully not geo-locked
A very interesting article, thanks for posting it.

What I thought was particularly telling was the second paragraph after the sub-heading, What does this mean for F1 and UK audiences?

"No matter what Sky does with its programming, it would be highly unlikely, based on past evidence, to get close to replacing all the free-to-air audience. If Sky achieved another 21.9% growth in live audience, it would rise to 862,000. That would be a drop of more than 58% from 2018 to 2019."
Old 14 Mar 2019, 21:18 (Ref:3890523)   #1536
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
I think the phrase that best fits this is "lmao".
they've now sent an email every day, for the past 3 days advertising the same rate...
Old 14 Mar 2019, 21:35 (Ref:3890528)   #1537
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
they've now sent an email every day, for the past 3 days advertising the same rate...
If they keep sending you them then you'll become accustomed to it soon and just give in.
Old 15 Mar 2019, 00:59 (Ref:3890561)   #1538
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
If they keep sending you them then you'll become accustomed to it soon and just give in.
And then once you subscribe... they will still hammer you with emails to sign up.

Richard
Old 15 Mar 2019, 01:06 (Ref:3890565)   #1539
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
They certainly had the rights for the rest of the world that hadn't a contract with FOM. For example, broadcasters from Germany and France used to have their own rights, whilst this allowed the BBC to sell the production - with or without the Beeb's own commentary/presenters - to other countries such as Canada and Australia.

It must also be borne in mind that it is FOM that actually produces and is responsibility for the direction of all the filming of track action and other official filming such as the podium ceremony. And as pointed out to me, just not at Monaco.
As ScotsBrutesFan says they don’t have the rights, they just produce some content (audio commentary and front and back end). I doubt they can make anywhere enough selling this production compared to the rights outgoings.

I don’t think I am missin anything here.
Old 16 Mar 2019, 13:40 (Ref:3890990)   #1540
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Just watched the C4 qualifying highlights, and enjoyed the new input from young Billy M and Stefano. With new young drivers on the grid, in my opinion Billy fits in well.

Hard work not to accidentally hear the Q result this morning, but managed. Will likely be more difficult tomorrow!
Old 16 Mar 2019, 14:07 (Ref:3890994)   #1541
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Watched the highlights on C4 of qualy and it was strange to see sky advertising it's coverage during the breaks, suspect that i will watch the free sky coverage of the race but very unlikely to pay the money for sky f1.
Old 16 Mar 2019, 14:45 (Ref:3891012)   #1542
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I didn't bother. It clashed with the rugby. I know the result and may watch tomorrow.
Old 16 Mar 2019, 16:57 (Ref:3891064)   #1543
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
I thought there was a bit of chuzpah in the Sky F1 advert running in the Ch4 break - but also noticed that one of the last comments on the Ch4 coverage was "watch us tomorrow at 2pm, or watch live on Sky F1", so presumably puffing Sky is part of the package deal.....
Old 16 Mar 2019, 20:03 (Ref:3891126)   #1544
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Noticed they've changed the theme tune on C4. It's alright, but it doesn't have the same vibe as The Chain.

I too enjoyed Billy and Stefano, both excellent contributions

And yes I found Steve Jones remark about the fact you could watch the race live on Sky F1 more a little curious
Old 17 Mar 2019, 05:36 (Ref:3891251)   #1545
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So no Ted Kravitz then
Old 17 Mar 2019, 07:23 (Ref:3891278)   #1546
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
So no Ted Kravitz then
Apparently he is coming back in Bahrain. No idea if he back for every race. Hope not.
Old 17 Mar 2019, 07:55 (Ref:3891282)   #1547
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsg View Post
Apparently he is coming back in Bahrain. No idea if he back for every race. Hope not.
I thought Chandock did a good job - no smug smart ar*e comments in hindsight - I won’t miss the previous incumbent
Old 17 Mar 2019, 15:49 (Ref:3891338)   #1548
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
Quote:
So no Ted Kravitz then
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsg View Post
Quote:
I thought Chandock did a good job - no smug smart ar*e comments in hindsight - I won’t miss the previous incumbent
Ted is doing 14 of the 21 races this season

If they are using Chandock as a pundit then they need someone technical when Ted isn't there, I feel the show was lacking that technical edge especially as there was new regulations.

Sky's midweek review show is apparently going to be a Technical review done by Ted from London so we will have to see what that looks like.
Old 17 Mar 2019, 17:29 (Ref:3891362)   #1549
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
I thought Ted did very well last year...Shame. I used to enjoy his Notebook before and after.
Old 17 Mar 2019, 22:38 (Ref:3891441)   #1550
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Well Ted is obviously not needed as much. He was good for the followers of F1

Tags
pinks