Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 14 Mar 2019, 19:47 (Ref:3890506)   #2576
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tel 911S View Post
This was originally reported in 2016
http://www.ccsassociation.org/news-a...on-ccs-report/
Where a report by Lord Oxburgh concluded that , "If UK houses were insulated up to the standard of houses in Austria , then it would only need another 200 GW of electric generation capacity to heat them with electricity ".

So that would be another 50 plus Hinckly C power stations , approx £1000 Billion , plus about the same again to upgrade the grid .

Peanuts.

Mind you, by the time new build (absent any more subsidies to pay the senior management of the builders) reaches a scale that become truly meaningful for any part of the objective, it will be today's Primary School children who will be paying for it.

I hope they appreciate the legacy.
Old 14 Mar 2019, 20:00 (Ref:3890509)   #2577
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Payback for ilictricity? Just have a look here where we were much encouraged to produce our own and resale it to the gov' at a much higher rate than when you buy it direct!!!
How does it work I dunno. But this gave ideas to many unofficial agencies installing officially solar panels on not rich people roofs. The best target was retired expecting electricity for free plus some pennies. Mainly the system is worn out far before any accounting balance is reached. C'est beau la France quand ça déconne Ã* plein tubes! Delivered by Fedex to FedUp people!
It's the same throughout Europe and the North American countries as far as I can tell.

Once subsidies stop most sales stop as well.

When you have politicians who are stupid enough to think they can convince most of their electorate that "smart meters" will save them money you know you have fundamental problems coming over the horizon.

When they tell you the saving will be £39 per annum - basically nothing compared to a typical bill, you know they are being extremely economical with the truth.

When they revise the number and say the real saving (only delivered through behaviour change, somehow) will be £11 you know it's a scam.

When they then start to cap retail electricity costs and the bills appear to go down at the first appearance of the cap, you smell a con trick in progress.

When at the first review (every 6 months apparently, I don't recall reading about that) the prices look like they will go up by about 3x the earlier reduction 'as allowed by the formula) you know that the large utilities suppliers have conned the negotiators in exactly the same way that the mobile phone companies did a couple of years back.

I await, with interest, to see which ministers who might have been involved with the decisions decide to leave politics come the next General Election and then take a well paid sinecure job with one of the utilities they claimed to be controlling.
Old 15 Mar 2019, 00:14 (Ref:3890552)   #2578
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I had a "thermal store" central heating system fitted about 18 months ago.
Basically it's the same as "normal" central heating by pumping water through radiators but the water is stored in a massive insulated tank.
The tank is heated by two 3kw immersion heaters and although it is heated on off peak electricity the heaters will kick in when the tank temperature drops to a set temp when in use during the day.
The domestic hot water works through a heat exchanger radiator so only heats the water when it's needed.
The plus side is that there in no maintenance and is dead quite and has been trouble free "so far" !!!
The downsides are that it takes a few hours to heat the tank from cold when it has been left to cool down for a few days if the mains have been off and
it is very expensive to run if it's left on unnecessarily, however I have a wood burning stove to back it up and I never pay for any fuel for it
I can't use solar panels because of the house being a 500 year old oak beamed grade 2 listing but we managed to get double glazing installed.
We did look into an oil fired or liquid gas installation (no mains gas unfortunately) that would have been dearer initially to install but would be cheaper to run, however what with maintenance and ever rising fuel costs plus heating oil theft (that is rife in our area) I made the decision to give it a go as electricity is always going to be there.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 15 Mar 2019, 06:25 (Ref:3890582)   #2579
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Grant I love you explanations. The calculation mad by politicians must be simple and cynical as on usual. They give us say £39 for the electricity we produce and the get £ 3000 more of different taxes. Anyway I still believe that solar cells installed in some deserts to help people and animals are worth. If not connected to an army related agency…
Old 15 Mar 2019, 09:27 (Ref:3890616)   #2580
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Grant I love you explanations. The calculation mad by politicians must be simple and cynical as on usual. They give us say £39 for the electricity we produce and the get £ 3000 more of different taxes. Anyway I still believe that solar cells installed in some deserts to help people and animals are worth. If not connected to an army related agency…
The Ivanpah solar plant in America , possibly the most advanced type & built in a desert , has never made any money & might be shut down because it probably never will .
https://wattsupwiththat.com/2016/03/...rced-to-close/

Germany has a lot of Solar plants , & I believe that during the Winter they produce about 1% of their capability , [ their wind generation only does 17% of its rating over the year .] Which is why Germany has the highest electricity costs in the world .

At least France has a lot of Nuclear generation .
Old 15 Mar 2019, 09:36 (Ref:3890622)   #2581
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:

At least France has a lot of Nuclear generation .

Less if the current policies are implemented and even less in a few years when plant replacement has been constantly deferred - as in the UK.
Old 15 Mar 2019, 10:17 (Ref:3890629)   #2582
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

I've just finished watching this video about the Geneva car show from Harry's Garage - Harry Metcalfe the founder of EVO magazine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6Yx4rvB8VE

Apart from the expected Hypercar excesses (well, EVO so what do you expect?) he also covers the way the market will be changing in the very immediate future as the latest round of emission regulations bite. In effect this starts in 2020.

If you are interested take a slightly longer Tea Break and watch the whole thing. If only the comments on regulation are of interest the message is delivered as cars are discussed starting about half way through - after the Mansoury nightmare section in the main.

Two point stood out at first watching. For some reason there is 95gm CO2 output average required across the manufacturer's 'fleet' and to avoid extreme fines they will need to manage their sales on a per annum basis to ensure they don't exceed that average.

If you want to buy a relatively high powered vehicle with a high CO2 output do it early in the year, it might not be available for sale later.

If you want to buy a small engined car .... you probably won't be able to. The new WLTP standards make it very difficult to beat the 95gm figure and with margins on the smaller vehicles being low there is no commercial reason to make them.

Presumably someone somewhere has worked out that the lower paid regions of the population can be driven away from car ownership and the potential of freedom of travel, other than by lowest cost short range electric cars that will be a pain for the users to charge, by playing the green joker card.

The more information I read the more I see the market moving to fleets of autonomous hire by trip electric pods owned and managed by global corporates as partners to government controlled programmes.

Interestingly exactly the same thing is happening in China with Chinese companies taking the lead.

http://carsalesbase.com/chinas-electric-great-wall/

To get to the nitty gritty of the reasons scroll down to immediately after the first 2 graphs.

What a remarkable coincidence.
Old 15 Mar 2019, 13:06 (Ref:3890659)   #2583
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
I can’t be arsed to edit that down to one small quote to respond to, but re the 95gm average Co2 that manufacturers will have to meet. The penalties come in in 2021, which is why, as I’ve mentioned before, there will be a bigger roll out of new zero emissions vehicles and plug-hybrids (the easier way out), to help reduce the ‘fines’ then. Sales are being held back as much as they dare at the moment..... It will make cars like the VW Up and it’s cousins unattractive to market, as they produce ‘average’ emissions. What you’ll see, and there was plenty of evidence at Geneva, is lower cost small EVs being introduced to replace those models.

All this only affects those buying new cars, of course. Anyone sticking with their current ‘mobile or buying pre-owned can issue all the emissions they like!
Old 15 Mar 2019, 13:13 (Ref:3890661)   #2584
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
I can’t be arsed .........................
Grumpy git!
Old 15 Mar 2019, 13:24 (Ref:3890666)   #2585
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Grumpy git!
life’s too short....
Old 15 Mar 2019, 13:25 (Ref:3890667)   #2586
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
The penalties come in in 2021, which is why, as I’ve mentioned before, there will be a bigger roll out of new zero emissions vehicles and plug-hybrids (the easier way out), to help reduce the ‘fines’ then.
But it seems that the fines this time around will be bigger and based on what people are buying not the notional average calculated numbers for cars in the range.

So they need to 'manage' what is sold.

And all for what?
Old 15 Mar 2019, 13:38 (Ref:3890675)   #2587
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
And all for what?
Err, to avoid paying so much dosh in ‘fines’. They’re going to be huge.......

Old 15 Mar 2019, 13:41 (Ref:3890677)   #2588
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
So, are you saying that if I buy the Bullitt Mustang, it'll stop Ford selling a wheezy Fiesta? If so I' believe I should perform that service.
Old 15 Mar 2019, 13:44 (Ref:3890679)   #2589
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
So, are you saying that if I buy the Bullitt Mustang, it'll stop Ford selling a wheezy Fiesta? If so I' believe I should perform that service.
If the annual road fund licence wasn’t so ridiculousy high on anything like that, it would make sense for all of us to get one!
Old 15 Mar 2019, 13:50 (Ref:3890683)   #2590
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
£750.00? A bargain.

Just seen it's £2050.00. Still reasonable.

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 15 Mar 2019 at 13:55.
Old 15 Mar 2019, 15:43 (Ref:3890722)   #2591
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
You’re not an old-age pensioner, Peter!

Just spotted this 2CV variant that was unfamiliar with.... Never seen a pic of one before! Gerard?

http://www.citroenet.org.uk/foreign/...ile/chile.html
Old 15 Mar 2019, 16:18 (Ref:3890728)   #2592
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Mike watzat??? Never saw this horror before. One of my neighbor had an accessory on his old '57. We call that "malle bombée pour 2CV", maker was Raoul. I said to E.B this 2CV brought strange things. Remember the rather high profile? This car was planed to make enough room for four farmers going to the market without taking their hats off. With two 25 kilos bags of potatoes and a basket of eggs. May be the potatoes could help for a htp now!!!
Old 15 Mar 2019, 16:23 (Ref:3890730)   #2593
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Its no surprise that our car makers built commercial versions of their best sellers. Mainly you could see how many wine barrels could be delivered in the print adverts. May be E.b can find pics from Simca Vedette Abeille or Traction Citroën commerciale with a rear door? Thanks!
Old 15 Mar 2019, 16:52 (Ref:3890743)   #2594
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Mike watzat??? Never saw this horror before. One of my neighbor had an accessory on his old '57. We call that "malle bombée pour 2CV", maker was Raoul. I said to E.B this 2CV brought strange things. Remember the rather high profile? This car was planed to make enough room for four farmers going to the market without taking their hats off. With two 25 kilos bags of potatoes and a basket of eggs. May be the potatoes could help for a htp now!!!
That Citroneta certainly isn't pretty. I think the 'malle bombée' could be found on these shores as well.

Wasn't it said that the 2CV suspension design was so that the eggs wouldn't break while driving across a field?
Old 15 Mar 2019, 17:52 (Ref:3890754)   #2595
eamonn ledwidge
Racer

Ireland
Fyfield, Essex, UK
eamonn ledwidge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
That Citroneta certainly isn't pretty. I think the 'malle bombée' could be found on these shores as well.

Wasn't it said that the 2CV suspension design was so that the eggs wouldn't break while driving across a field?
2CV not much use on late delivery run for the Delta Croissant and Omelette Fest!
Old 15 Mar 2019, 18:34 (Ref:3890763)   #2596
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Good one Eamonn! Quite right Mike. Imagine me sometimes laughing when reading this forum. If I want real news from France, John E is here. Need a picture from a french road model, E.B is here together with Bob if its a race model. Any other info… you! Can you imagine that E.B knows every Montlhéry curve by its name better than my pupils when I was instructor there! This place is just fantastic. Really. Thank you for accepting me.
Old 15 Mar 2019, 18:37 (Ref:3890764)   #2597
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
I ignore what can of info can be found on the net ref to the 2CV. The main engineer was Pierre Jules Boulanger a really brilliant person but thick skin. Typically french he didn't want to share ideas or power. The simpler the better was his by word. The first prototypes had no electric starter only a rope Ã* la lawn mower. One dark night his daughter -used as a road tester- arrives at a cross road and the engine stalls…*Right in the middle of nowhere! She was scared like heck and tried to find help in a farm hosting angry dogs. There you go the 2CV got an electric starter! May be dog kroketts were invented that night to!

André Lefebvre as chief engineer more likely than Boulanger?

Last edited by Gerard C; 15 Mar 2019 at 19:05. Reason: Le Boulanger a livré les oeufs…
Old 15 Mar 2019, 20:39 (Ref:3890826)   #2598
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Harping back to green power supplies, Spain has a fair number of solar and wind farms and together it's claimed that they supply about 30% on average per year. It is said that on certain very windy days 50% is not uncommon ! and it is claimed that very rarely almost 100% has been met. However this was in the local rag and most of it has probably been paid for with the good old EEC handouts over the years.
There was a grant to start a farm up near my local race circuit at Tabernas to grow a plant that can be made into fuel, however that seems to have been "forgotten about" after the money disappeared "somewhere" like it does in the abandoned building sites around our area.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 16 Mar 2019, 09:35 (Ref:3890961)   #2599
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Harping back to green power supplies, Spain has a fair number of solar and wind farms and together it's claimed that they supply about 30% on average per year. It is said that on certain very windy days 50% is not uncommon ! and it is claimed that very rarely almost 100% has been met. However this was in the local rag and most of it has probably been paid for with the good old EEC handouts over the years.
There was a grant to start a farm up near my local race circuit at Tabernas to grow a plant that can be made into fuel, however that seems to have been "forgotten about" after the money disappeared "somewhere" like it does in the abandoned building sites around our area.
They claim that 30% figure for Germany wind & solar power . But for any industrialised country , there must be 100% back up for the total grid demand from conventional generation ,
http://notrickszone.com/2017/07/05/n...tional-energy/
Which is why Germany has the most expensive electricity in the world .
Why bother with expensive unreliable generation [ wind & solar ] when you already have sufficient , [ & a lot cheaper ] , generation from other power stations .

But the Green loony party did have a lot of support in Germany .
Old 16 Mar 2019, 22:12 (Ref:3891154)   #2600
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

But the Green loony party did have a lot of support in Germany .

Wasn't it Germany that decided to abandon nuclear power generation as a response to the Japanese Fukashima nuclear power station damage.....which (a) was caused by that ever=present threat to Germany - a tsunami, and (b) didn't actually cause any significant harm to the general population?

A classic case of emotion overlaying rational judgement - very un-Germanic!