Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 29 Mar 2019, 12:36 (Ref:3894095)   #1326
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Hopefully by June it will have settled down. Until then I'll avoid France and/or the Channel.
I would think it will get worse as more people will be going on holiday , because there is no hard shoulder there is no way of any breakdown trucks or police getting through in the event of a major crash. The only way that I can see is that they would have to wait until the traffic ahead of the "obstruction" had cleared and drive back to it.
I can see this causing insurmountable problems with local "rat runs" being used by lots of vehicles including HGVs !!!
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 29 Mar 2019, 12:53 (Ref:3894096)   #1327
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Actually I was thinking of the French work to rule stuff. If that reduces the M2 won't be an issue.
Old 29 Mar 2019, 14:21 (Ref:3894103)   #1328
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't make you more clever. It simply makes you different to them. As to your assertion, yes quite right, our politicians got us into this in 1972.
He obviously thinks he's above everyone else
Old 29 Mar 2019, 15:31 (Ref:3894117)   #1329
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Actually I was thinking of the French work to rule stuff. If that reduces the M2 won't be an issue.
I’m wondering how much of the M20 congestion could be just down to Operation Brock? It happened with Stack, where trucks were held away from Dover to ‘ease congestion’ at the port. I only had to use it once, thankfully, but when you got to the port, it was empty, and ferries we’re leaving half loaded because the trucks were being held.....

I think tourist traffic, that will include Peter, will have far less of a problem. I’m already contemplating using the Portsmouth Caen crossing for Spa. It’s only 10 miles more, but double ferry cost..... Could be worth it- especially with the news just now that the 3rd attempt at PMs deal has failed!
Old 29 Mar 2019, 15:35 (Ref:3894120)   #1330
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
..... the news just now that the 3rd attempt at PMs deal has failed!
I heard Ken Bruce this morning playing the Average White Band song 'Let's Go Round Again' and he quipped something about Parliament. Very apt I thought.
Old 29 Mar 2019, 15:38 (Ref:3894122)   #1331
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
And now if you need to go from lets say Cambridge to south using the road to Dover but need to stop before how do you manage not to get caught in trafic jams? Detour?
Old 29 Mar 2019, 15:56 (Ref:3894124)   #1332
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
And now if you need to go from lets say Cambridge to south using the road to Dover but need to stop before how do you manage not to get caught in trafic jams? Detour?
I may have misunderstood the question, but to get to Portsmouth, for instance, the best route is to go round the west side of London on M25. That way, you just get all the everyday Heathrow chaos, plus similar at other junctions which bring a lot of traffic on.....

There are two routes to Dover from the M25. Operation Brock is on the M20 which most trucks use, but for me, if I’m approaching from the North, the best route is along the A2/M2. Problem is, the authorities do all in their power to stop trucks using it. Even to the extent, if they get to the port, of making them drive all the way along the M20 to join the back of the queue, when Stack was in place. I can’t see any written instructions on A2 use regarding Brock......
Old 29 Mar 2019, 16:13 (Ref:3894130)   #1333
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
He obviously thinks he's above everyone else
Well he is quite tall.
Old 29 Mar 2019, 18:52 (Ref:3894150)   #1334
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Hah! According to itv news, due to high demand, post offices have run out of, or are running out of, International Driving Permits!

Lucky they’re not needed yet, then......
Old 29 Mar 2019, 21:31 (Ref:3894169)   #1335
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
We went Dover-Calais with motorhome & trailer last Tuesday, no delay at all for us but a fairly long queue of trucks on the hill down into Dover, and in the port checkin area. Contraflow on the M20 with one side reserved for truck parking but not backed up that far (yet).
We return to UK Friday, will report back how we get on.
Lunchtime Friday - French Douane playing silly b's on the A16 Belgian > French border !
Down to 1 lane then off at a junction, past a crowd of about 20 uniformed types, round the roundabout and back on Autoroute, tailback of about 45 minutes.
Road into port completely empty, no queues at passport controls or check-in at all. Boats running on time.
The M20 Op Brock is about 12+ miles of 50 limit in the contraflow - followed by many more miles of 50 right up to the M26 junction, they're doing the roadworks for 'smart' motorway. Timing for this is appalling. Luckily I'm not due back there until Summer Classic.
Old 29 Mar 2019, 23:13 (Ref:3894186)   #1336
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Hah! According to itv news, due to high demand, post offices have run out of, or are running out of, International Driving Permits!

Lucky they’re not needed yet, then......
I went to get one and the counter person asked me for what country, I said Spain and I have got to go to southern Ireland to video a wedding, it appears I need two ffs !!!! and if I drive to Spain via France I need another one !!!!! and they are only valid for one year
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 30 Mar 2019, 05:52 (Ref:3894217)   #1337
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
The different IDPs for Spain and rest of Europe I was expecting, so took two mugshots with me to the PO.

I’m confused over the Ireland requirement though- according to the Gov.uk website an IDP is not needed....... https://www.gov.uk/guidance/internat...-28-march-2019

But, considering the rest of the confusion, anything is possible!
Old 30 Mar 2019, 05:55 (Ref:3894218)   #1338
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
Lunchtime Friday - French Douane playing silly b's on the A16 Belgian > French border !
Down to 1 lane then off at a junction, past a crowd of about 20 uniformed types, round the roundabout and back on Autoroute, tailback of about 45 minutes.
Road into port completely empty, no queues at passport controls or check-in at all. Boats running on time.
The M20 Op Brock is about 12+ miles of 50 limit in the contraflow - followed by many more miles of 50 right up to the M26 junction, they're doing the roadworks for 'smart' motorway. Timing for this is appalling. Luckily I'm not due back there until Summer Classic.
So no change with the Douane then! Could the lack of queues at the port be due to traffic all being jammed up on the A16? Same as my theory on when Stack was used on the M20?
Old 30 Mar 2019, 06:42 (Ref:3894220)   #1339
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Is the A16 the road up to Brussels? If so they've had that roundabout loop on there for a few years.
Old 30 Mar 2019, 07:15 (Ref:3894223)   #1340
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Is the A16 the road up to Brussels? If so they've had that roundabout loop on there for a few years.
Yes, and the loop you’re thinking about had gone by the last 6hrs meeting. Not sure if it’s same place? The Calais A16 roadworks are all finished, at least. Google maps showing Ghyvelde, Brussels side of Dunkirk (close to the border) has the ‘loop’ diversion this morning, until April 12th.......
Old 30 Mar 2019, 10:00 (Ref:3894235)   #1341
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Dont expect any change from our Douanes in this area, they've been chasing drug transport for a long while now. If you compare what they find to what is supposed to travel in this particular area they must go on. From our regulations Douanes has more rights than Gendarmerie and we are one of the biggest cannabis user…*Smoking news!
Old 30 Mar 2019, 10:24 (Ref:3894239)   #1342
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Dont expect any change from our Douanes in this area, they've been chasing drug transport for a long while now. If you compare what they find to what is supposed to travel in this particular area they must go on. From our regulations Douanes has more rights than Gendarmerie and we are one of the biggest cannabis user…*Smoking news!

They same applies in the UK where our Customs and Excise have greater powers in some circumstances than our police services, such as the right to enter a private dwelling to conduct a search without the requirement to hold a search warrant.

This caused some concerns amongst the more liberal elements in the UK when the then government merged C & E with our Inland Revenue. The fear is that our tax inspectors/investigators may have become entitled to the same powers as their Customs colleagues.
Old 30 Mar 2019, 10:47 (Ref:3894242)   #1343
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
The different IDPs for Spain and rest of Europe I was expecting, so took two mugshots with me to the PO.

I’m confused over the Ireland requirement though- according to the Gov.uk website an IDP is not needed....... https://www.gov.uk/guidance/internat...-28-march-2019

But, considering the rest of the confusion, anything is possible!
I also had a look at the Irish one and although I probably didn't need it I thought that for the price it "might" just save a bit of aggro as I am flying over and hiring a car for a few days and knowing my luck all this will kick in on the day I fly !!!!
Old 30 Mar 2019, 11:10 (Ref:3894247)   #1344
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
They same applies in the UK where our Customs and Excise have greater powers in some circumstances than our police services, such as the right to enter a private dwelling to conduct a search without the requirement to hold a search warrant.
I never had to complain about this. If Gendarmerie check us when towing a race car they put the focus on the special driving licence. Fact is that many rules have change recently they dont know much about specially when it comes to the maximum speed limit with a more than 750 kilos trailer…*We are now supposed to be restricted at 90 kph on autoroute I guess…*
Old 30 Mar 2019, 14:43 (Ref:3894277)   #1345
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
I also had a look at the Irish one and although I probably didn't need it I thought that for the price it "might" just save a bit of aggro as I am flying over and hiring a car for a few days and knowing my luck all this will kick in on the day I fly !!!!
I know in the UK the hire companies have oddities such as IDP requirements and (although not relevant to you Gordon ) age in their small print. When they moved to Spain Dad used to fly to the UK with Mum for family visits and hire a car, until one year when he was booking the car they knocked him back on age and said they could not insure him (he was 80 at the time).... being a stubborn bugger he told them to get stuffed, cancelled the flights, loaded his LHD car up, got his Tom Tom Sat Nav out of the box and then drove across Spain to get the ferry to UK and drove happily from one end of the UK to the other and back home in Spain. From memory he never made a single car insurance claim in his life, having driven clean (other than speeding tickets!) for 70 years when he passed recently at 91!
Old 31 Mar 2019, 13:59 (Ref:3894430)   #1346
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And all the foregoing is only part of the very reason why the UK should never never had anything whatsoever to do with the whole shebang in the first place, as
De Gaulle said NON NON NON and even more NON to our application to join, I know me Dad had a bit o' bother getting his Brengun carrier to Berlin...... but all was fairly OK during the 60's
Old 2 Apr 2019, 07:59 (Ref:3894796)   #1347
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Many a true word spoken in jest:
Attached Thumbnails
Alex_002.PNG  
Old 2 Apr 2019, 09:48 (Ref:3894811)   #1348
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Good one!

No issues coming ashore in Spain this morn- but of course there shouldn’t be......
Old 3 Apr 2019, 08:34 (Ref:3895007)   #1349
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As a no deal Brexit or a non customs union Brexit is now highly likely, it is useful advice to look at what to do and what not to do.

There have been several instances of Swiss getting into trouble with German customs, either going to race tracks or to bike shows with exhibits.

https://www.bikeundbusiness.de/zollf...ring-a-764390/

This is in German, but it describes to Swiss bikers ending up paying customs charges of 3.200,- Euros on the bikes, plus a fine plus cost of persecution

pls note that the Swiss have an agreement with EU but it is more complicated that the British believe.
The fact that there are no checks at the Swiss / Eu border do not make smuggling legal it just means that one assumes responsibility when crossing it

It can make a difference if a car is road registered but this is be no means sure. Exhibitors at the Bodensee Bike Classic got fined and charged for road registered bikes that they had not declared on entry.

Having a Carnet ATA for each racecar makes life a lot easier and safer.

Failing that racing cars should better be declared on entry into EU after a non customs union Brexit. This can be done orally, but it having proof of declaration brings piece of mind
relevant law is: Artikel 136 Abs. 1 lit. b UZK-DA

personally I would be very very weary of crossing the EU border with non declared valuable goods, in fact I would not do that under any circumstances.

RuE
Old 3 Apr 2019, 12:25 (Ref:3895062)   #1350
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudernst View Post
As a no deal Brexit or a non customs union Brexit is now highly likely, it is useful advice to look at what to do and what not to do.

There have been several instances of Swiss getting into trouble with German customs, either going to race tracks or to bike shows with exhibits.

https://www.bikeundbusiness.de/zollf...ring-a-764390/

This is in German, but it describes to Swiss bikers ending up paying customs charges of 3.200,- Euros on the bikes, plus a fine plus cost of persecution

pls note that the Swiss have an agreement with EU but it is more complicated that the British believe.
The fact that there are no checks at the Swiss / Eu border do not make smuggling legal it just means that one assumes responsibility when crossing it

It can make a difference if a car is road registered but this is be no means sure. Exhibitors at the Bodensee Bike Classic got fined and charged for road registered bikes that they had not declared on entry.

Having a Carnet ATA for each racecar makes life a lot easier and safer.

Failing that racing cars should better be declared on entry into EU after a non customs union Brexit. This can be done orally, but it having proof of declaration brings piece of mind
relevant law is: Artikel 136 Abs. 1 lit. b UZK-DA

personally I would be very very weary of crossing the EU border with non declared valuable goods, in fact I would not do that under any circumstances.

RuE
Like this one Rudolph?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4750.jpg