Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 15 Apr 2019, 17:30 (Ref:3897729)   #3176
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Going back to Gerry, he was the speaker at an MGCC dinner I attended. The speech was average, the tales that flowed with the beer afterwards were awesome.

My father knew him quite well I think, so I came across him quite often.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 15 Apr 2019, 17:59 (Ref:3897735)   #3177
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
On a more sombre note. Very sad scenes at Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris. Hope nobody hurt.
Old 15 Apr 2019, 18:05 (Ref:3897736)   #3178
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Sad accident. It will take ages to bring it back to its former state. Still burning at the moment.
Old 15 Apr 2019, 18:55 (Ref:3897744)   #3179
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Thankfully the time scales of such major buildings are so long that in 1000 years this will just be seen as another rebuild in a glorious history. But such a sad occurrence all the same.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 15 Apr 2019, 18:57 (Ref:3897745)   #3180
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes. Twitter reminds us of rhe fire at Durham Cathedral in 1984. Then there was Windsor Castle more recently. Nonetheless Notre Dame is even more present in the collective consciousness so this is very sad.
Old 15 Apr 2019, 18:57 (Ref:3897746)   #3181
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Wood that be a log roll, then?

First few times I heard all the fuss about the Golf, I thought they were getting all worked up about the Grand National winner again......

On the other topic, many years since I went into Notre Dame, and I have no love of religion, but of course the loss of or damage to any historical artefact is a great shame. Hope the damage can be contained....
Old 15 Apr 2019, 19:01 (Ref:3897749)   #3182
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I think that's the point. I don't see it as a religious artefact per se. I see it as an important link to the development of society. Plus it's in Paris which is a wonderful city.
Old 15 Apr 2019, 19:16 (Ref:3897753)   #3183
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Yes. Twitter reminds us of rhe fire at Durham Cathedral in 1984. Then there was Windsor Castle more recently. Nonetheless Notre Dame is even more present in the collective consciousness so this is very sad.
Also York Minster.

Gerard we have a lot of experience of such events over here.

I'm sure everyone in Europe very well appreciates that.

It occurs to me that you could take the Palace of Westminster as a substitute if you like. It could be renovated as part of the relocation work.

We have no need for it anymore.

A plastic replica would do for the tourism industry.

And the electorate, come to think of it ...
Old 15 Apr 2019, 19:24 (Ref:3897755)   #3184
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I think that's the point. I don't see it as a religious artefact per se. I see it as an important link to the development of society. Plus it's in Paris which is a wonderful city.
Totally agree. The pics are not pleasant to see, and a reminder of how quickly all that history can be destroyed. Sad day.
Old 15 Apr 2019, 21:33 (Ref:3897780)   #3185
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
It occurs to me that you could take the Palace of Westminster as a substitute if you like. It could be renovated as part of the relocation work.
we could swap it for the bits of Bordeaux and the Loire that we once had.....
Old 15 Apr 2019, 21:43 (Ref:3897786)   #3186
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Well that sounds like an idea, but I doubt it would happen
Old 15 Apr 2019, 21:55 (Ref:3897793)   #3187
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
we could swap it for the bits of Bordeaux and the Loire that we once had.....

I thought some of the UK population had substantially achieved that result already ...
Old 15 Apr 2019, 22:03 (Ref:3897795)   #3188
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Totally agree. The pics are not pleasant to see, and a reminder of how quickly all that history can be destroyed. Sad day.
Indeed.

However buildings of this age are being quite regularly refurbished as the centuries pass and one wonders how much of the structures that we see and admire and appreciate today are, mainly, continuations of what went before.

Many a rebuild, for one reason or another, in their history. Typically.

These days is seems often to be marked down to human error of some kind.

I suppose it has to be since in the absence of humans the structures would not be built.
Old 15 Apr 2019, 23:08 (Ref:3897806)   #3189
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Yeah. Buildings deteriorate over time. Whether a building is kept in good condition depends on how high a priority the house has
Old 16 Apr 2019, 01:12 (Ref:3897814)   #3190
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post

On the other topic, many years since I went into Notre Dame, and I have no love of religion, but of course the loss of or damage to any historical artefact is a great shame. Hope the damage can be contained....
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
Quote:
This. Terrible news to wake up to. Awful video vision. Thoughts with the folks of France.
The news here this morning suggested it can/will be rebuilt in some form. Hopefully that is the case.
Old 16 Apr 2019, 01:29 (Ref:3897819)   #3191
S griffin
Veteran

I know. Didn’t expect it to happen but it did. I am sure something can be salvaged of it so it can be rebuilt. It’s not the end of the world
Old 16 Apr 2019, 05:02 (Ref:3897857)   #3192
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Anyone living in the Donington area may be interested in the link below. New Ginetta showroom opening where the Caterham one was......

https://www.bookatrack.com/downloads...oom-launch.pdf

And RSVP here.... http://www.bookatrack.org/rsvp
Old 16 Apr 2019, 05:17 (Ref:3897864)   #3193
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Indeed.

However buildings of this age are being quite regularly refurbished as the centuries pass and one wonders how much of the structures that we see and admire and appreciate today are, mainly, continuations of what went before.

These days is seems often to be marked down to human error of some kind. I suppose it has to be since in the absence of humans the structures would not be built.
Looks like the main stone structure is still standing, but of course that doesn’t mean it isn’t damaged by the heat. Hopefully like a race car after an accident- remove all the damaged and broken bits and it never looks quite as bad.....
Old 16 Apr 2019, 05:25 (Ref:3897867)   #3194
S griffin
Veteran

I think it's stood up well, but we'll see. It should be repaired though
Old 16 Apr 2019, 06:15 (Ref:3897873)   #3195
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Gracious, such an out poring of grief over the destruction of a religious building, I had not realised we had so many of the faithful posting here, God Bless you all.
Old 16 Apr 2019, 06:48 (Ref:3897881)   #3196
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
It's history. Ignore that at your peril.
Old 16 Apr 2019, 07:01 (Ref:3897883)   #3197
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Looks like the main stone structure is still standing, but of course that doesn’t mean it isn’t damaged by the heat. Hopefully like a race car after an accident- remove all the damaged and broken bits and it never looks quite as bad.....
When rebuilt will that make it a resto-mod / modern build then Mike? And all the modern technology and parts .....

(Removes tongue from cheek)
Old 16 Apr 2019, 07:13 (Ref:3897885)   #3198
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
It's history. Ignore that at your peril.
On the history aspect it is at times like this when I get reminded of European (and other ) history.

In the current situation we have history dating back several hundred years.
Yet here is Aus we dont have any building more than just over 200 years old. Of course we have Aboriginal history going back tens of thousands of yeears but
I remember explaining to people when showed the oldest buildings in Aus and NZ that my house at the time in England was a cheap workers cottage almost 250 years old. And I only bought that because I could not afford a 'proper' old house, or for that matter a new build!

Times like this it is a stark realisation of the history in Europe I never appreciated until I got here.
Old 16 Apr 2019, 07:30 (Ref:3897890)   #3199
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
On the history aspect it is at times like this when I get reminded of European (and other ) history.

In the current situation we have history dating back several hundred years.
Yet here is Aus we dont have any building more than just over 200 years old. Of course we have Aboriginal history going back tens of thousands of yeears but
I remember explaining to people when showed the oldest buildings in Aus and NZ that my house at the time in England was a cheap workers cottage almost 250 years old. And I only bought that because I could not afford a 'proper' old house, or for that matter a new build!

Times like this it is a stark realisation of the history in Europe I never appreciated until I got here.
I remember the time-span of history being demonstrated in the archaeological programmes such as Time Team. When digging in the UK, they typically start with heavy machinery to dig the first few feet, before going delicate.
When they are in US or Australia, they start delicate straight away because the history is so near the surface, not buried under 1,000s of years....
Old 16 Apr 2019, 07:38 (Ref:3897893)   #3200
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
On the Beeb, an architect has predicted that modern techniques will be used to rebuild in the ancient tradition, and is fairly sure that the basic structure is still sound, but it will take 10 years to fully restore.