Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Apr 2019, 20:53 (Ref:3897511)   #26
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
i bet who ever posted this thread is feeling stupid at this very moment, only 1 team in the championship so far
Only because of the typo.
Old 14 Apr 2019, 20:54 (Ref:3897512)   #27
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
What typo?
Old 15 Apr 2019, 08:21 (Ref:3897602)   #28
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
It's sad to see Mercedes in such dramatic decline. No fastest lap? They are clearly in complete disarray......
Old 15 Apr 2019, 15:05 (Ref:3897677)   #29
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I feel Mercedes are only just beginning
Old 15 Apr 2019, 18:58 (Ref:3897747)   #30
Kempi
Veteran

Germany
Düsseldorf, Germany
Kempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They are certainly the best at talking their performance down. How many times have we heard they feel they are .5s behind (on a lap, on the straights, in corners, whatever) and in the end sit on top.

Ferrari is nowhere. Mercedes did great sandbagging during the testing, probably the most impressive part of their performance this year.
Old 16 Apr 2019, 01:37 (Ref:3897823)   #31
S griffin
Veteran

Well I don’t think they were sure. And it’s taken a while to get up to speed. But now they are looking dangerous

I agree Ferrari are struggling and Merc, after being behind at the test, are now looking the dominant package
Old 16 Apr 2019, 01:58 (Ref:3897830)   #32
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kempi View Post
They are certainly the best at talking their performance down. How many times have we heard they feel they are .5s behind (on a lap, on the straights, in corners, whatever) and in the end sit on top.

Ferrari is nowhere. Mercedes did great sandbagging during the testing, probably the most impressive part of their performance this year.
Mercedes' only worry is that somebody wises up to the damage being done to F1 by their hybrid engine's dominance and changes the formula!
Old 16 Apr 2019, 02:15 (Ref:3897838)   #33
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
It's sad to see Mercedes in such dramatic decline. No fastest lap? They are clearly in complete disarray......
Should Mr Wolff look for the exit door?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 16 Apr 2019, 16:27 (Ref:3898020)   #34
S griffin
Veteran

That’s the last thing he needs to do at this time
Old 16 Apr 2019, 18:49 (Ref:3898074)   #35
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Should Mr Wolff look for the exit door?
Yes - his days are clearly numbered. Best to get out now and then blame the decline on someone else, keeping his own reputation intact.

It's obvious for all to see that Mercedes will soon be struggling to make the top ten, and they are only clinging on to results whilst all the bad luck goes to McLaren and Williams.
Old 16 Apr 2019, 22:42 (Ref:3898122)   #36
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Yes - his days are clearly numbered. Best to get out now and then blame the decline on someone else, keeping his own reputation intact.

It's obvious for all to see that Mercedes will soon be struggling to make the top ten, and they are only clinging on to results whilst all the bad luck goes to McLaren and Williams.
Oh, the irony.
Old 17 Apr 2019, 13:19 (Ref:3898216)   #37
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Mercedes' only worry is that somebody wises up to the damage being done to F1 by their hybrid engine's dominance and changes the formula!
It amazes me why people think that changing things will change the running order. In my experience of motor racing the best always wins no matter what changes take place.
Old 17 Apr 2019, 14:03 (Ref:3898222)   #38
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
It amazes me why people think that changing things will change the running order. In my experience of motor racing the best always wins no matter what changes take place.
I don't think that is a given. Why is a team like Williams who were the best, no longer the best? The same goes for McLaren. The best is the one who can make the most of the rules/technology at any given time and under the current regulations, that is Merecedes.
Old 17 Apr 2019, 14:04 (Ref:3898223)   #39
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
surely there are differences in where a team is in their development cycle which in turn means one team may be more adaptable/better prepared for change over another...a period of Ferrari dominance, followed by RB, followed by Merc.

all jump started by a change in the regs no?

aside from the engine regs though (where i think Merc's resource advantage can carry them through), if the sport is successful in reducing budgets then the challenge for Merc will be if they can maintain their excellence/dominance while downsizing.

generaly speaking, this is a hard thing for large corporations to accomplish.
Old 18 Apr 2019, 23:16 (Ref:3898464)   #40
S griffin
Veteran

Well it depends how the development cycle goes. Ferrari had some challengers, RBR had looked good in the beginning and Merc are now ready to start dominating again

But rule changes are bound to have some effect and it’s how long they last
Old 18 Apr 2019, 23:26 (Ref:3898471)   #41
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Well it depends how the development cycle goes. Ferrari had some challengers, RBR had looked good in the beginning and Merc are now ready to start dominating again

But rule changes are bound to have some effect and it’s how long they last
Merc haven't stopped dominating, really, since their favoured "eco-friendly" engine regulations were passed as The Ones and then they revealed their trick "shaft through the block" technology. Nobody else has got near in reality.

It still amazes me that we're running races faster on 50% the fuel of a few years ago and nobody is making a really big tub-thumping thing of it. That said, given the BBC Attenborough doco this evening, I'm amazed I'm still allowed to post here...
Old 18 Apr 2019, 23:45 (Ref:3898483)   #42
S griffin
Veteran

Merc have had a few chinks in their armour. They have stayed on top by keeping on developing, despite what the sport throws at them
Old 18 Apr 2019, 23:51 (Ref:3898488)   #43
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
There is some truth in that but also think about recent examples of the running order being changed as a result of regulations changes:
Mercedes position in the running order changed markedly with the new engine regulations and the team has dominated through the current engine regs period. Now, I'm not suggesting that they'd be nowhere if the engine regs changed again (although it could happen) but that's one example.

Then there's Red Bull going in the other direction with the change to different engines (remember Red Bull's domination / strength prior to the changes to the engine regs).

Point is, sometimes changes DO shake up the running order - particularly if those changes are managed like the hybrid engine regs and give a free kick to any team that zigs whilst all the others choose to zag - and it turns out that zigging is the right gamble to take. The new engine regs stopped anyone who zagged from changing over to the zig path and Mercedes were off into the sunset and have maintained a lead on the engine front ever since.

Bloody good team though.
Old 19 Apr 2019, 00:09 (Ref:3898497)   #44
S griffin
Veteran

Mercedes: Will they ever dominate again?

Well yes, but not always. Merc were building up to the rule change, so it’s not like they came from nowhere. They were winning races the year before the rule changes

RBR seem to be hanging in there. They are still up there despite everything

Of course rule changes have the potential to mix things up, but the best budgeted teams usually end up on top. Mercedes simply have better resources than others
Old 19 Apr 2019, 00:37 (Ref:3898507)   #45
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Well yes, but not always. Merc were building up to the rule change, so it’s not like they came from nowhere. They were winning races the year before the rule changes

RBR seem to be hanging in there. They are still up there despite everything

Of course rule changes have the potential to mix things up, but the best budgeted teams usually end up on top. Mercedes simply have better resources than others
It wasn't that many. Mercedes got their first win, at the 2012 Chinese GP, with Nico Rosberg. In 2013, they were runners up in the WCC, with three wins; Rosberg at Monaco and Silverstone, Hamilton at the Hungaroring. However, Hamilton and Rosberg between them got 9 podiums.
Old 19 Apr 2019, 11:43 (Ref:3898575)   #46
S griffin
Veteran

True, but it wasn't like Honda/Brawn. Went from being a midfield team at best, to getting the title
Old 19 Apr 2019, 12:06 (Ref:3898581)   #47
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
True, but it wasn't like Honda/Brawn. Went from being a midfield team at best, to getting the title
When Mercedes came back to F1 in 2010, they were very much a midfield team for the first two years. Despite their first win at China in 2012, they only achieved two other podium finishes that year and didn't get their next win, until Monaco 2013. They won their first WCC in 2014.
Old 22 Apr 2019, 00:33 (Ref:3898933)   #48
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think Mercedes should just hand the team back to Mr Brawn to run..
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 22 Apr 2019, 00:44 (Ref:3898934)   #49
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
I think Mercedes should just hand the team back to Mr Brawn to run..
If anything, Ferrari ought to hand the technical directorship back to Mr. Brawn.
Old 22 Apr 2019, 08:57 (Ref:3898971)   #50
S griffin
Veteran

Ferrari have lost their way since they went back to being 'Italian'