Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 Sep 2002, 09:43 (Ref:390428)   #1
pole2pole
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Belfast
pole2pole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ferrari Italian Job.

When are will ferrari sign an italian driver? Why not make the package the complete italian job.
Old 28 Sep 2002, 09:45 (Ref:390430)   #2
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Don't think they will for a while, as it always seems to get too political when they have an Italian driver.
Old 28 Sep 2002, 09:49 (Ref:390431)   #3
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Never, for the reasons Mr V mentioned.
Old 28 Sep 2002, 09:56 (Ref:390434)   #4
Total-F1
Veteran

Total-F1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They have had FAR too many problems with the Italian drivers - and too be honest, it's not really fair on them either, what with the tifosi and all...
Old 28 Sep 2002, 12:33 (Ref:390514)   #5
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Complete Italian job?

I don't think employing an Italian driver would achieve this.

Ferrari lives in the international world. An English technical director, a French team boss, a South African designer. A German and Brazilian driver fit in perfectly.
Old 28 Sep 2002, 12:43 (Ref:390520)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hey pole2pole, I was (coincidentally) watching Michael Palin's program as I replied to this!
Old 28 Sep 2002, 13:48 (Ref:390530)   #7
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think it's _that_ unrealistic... I can see Fisi there once M$ retires.
Old 28 Sep 2002, 14:46 (Ref:390546)   #8
LucaBadoer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Harrogate, N Yorks.
LucaBadoer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If LB was given a ferrari drive, he would do the job. The poor guy's just never been given a chance to race a decent car in F1.

Its all Ivan Capelli's fault.
Old 28 Sep 2002, 20:13 (Ref:390677)   #9
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by LucaBadoer
If LB was given a ferrari drive, he would do the job. The poor guy's just never been given a chance to race a decent car in F1.

Luca, don't wanna start a bun fight here, but Ferrari could quite easily given Badoer the chance on a temporary basis in '99 to stand in for TGF when he broke his leg, the thing is, Ferrari know he can't do the job, no matter how good a test driver he is, and thats why Salo got the job.

It's not Capelli's fault that Badoer hasn't been given the oppertunity.
Old 28 Sep 2002, 20:17 (Ref:390679)   #10
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Capelli , got a rough ride at Ferrari , and it wasnt all his doing .
Old 28 Sep 2002, 21:12 (Ref:390720)   #11
pole2pole
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Belfast
Why has schumi never had a italian team mate at ferrari?
Old 28 Sep 2002, 21:24 (Ref:390726)   #12
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Because the last Good Italian F1 driver was ...err,umm,hmmm,arrr????........Ascari
Old 28 Sep 2002, 21:28 (Ref:390732)   #13
Total-F1
Veteran

Total-F1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Scuderia would get slaughtered if Schumi's lackey was an Italian!
Old 28 Sep 2002, 21:31 (Ref:390737)   #14
pole2pole
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Belfast
What about Fisi are Trulli put these guys in this years ferrari and lets see what they do
Old 28 Sep 2002, 22:23 (Ref:390767)   #15
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The reason M$ doesn't have an Italian teammate is because Ross Braun and Jean Todt know they'd be LYNCHED by the Tifosi if Giancarlo had been forced to pull over at Austria the way Rubens did.
Old 28 Sep 2002, 22:50 (Ref:390780)   #16
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
I'm still hoping that the planets will align just right, and somehow Giancarlo will land a seat at Ferrari in 04. Pleeeeaaaaassse......
Old 29 Sep 2002, 01:24 (Ref:390833)   #17
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by LucaBadoer
Capelli was given a rough ride, and the F1A92 Ferrari was a truck. Alesi complained about it's power in Mexico when he got overtaken by Andrea de Cesaris in a TYRRELL-ILMOR!!

The car was slow, handled badly and rarely finished a race. It was certainly not Capelli's fault. And the last Italian to drive for the Scuderia was Nicola Larini, who did two/three races in 1994.
Old 29 Sep 2002, 07:44 (Ref:390919)   #18
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally posted by f1manoz
the F1A92 Ferrari was a truck.
careful, you may get sacked...

Larini did a decent job in the few races he had. IIRC he earned a couple of points at Imola.
Old 29 Sep 2002, 09:10 (Ref:390953)   #19
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore

careful, you may get sacked...

Larini did a decent job in the few races he had. IIRC he earned a couple of points at Imola.
Adam, that was in the Ferrari 412T of 1994, not the F1A92.
Old 29 Sep 2002, 09:13 (Ref:390955)   #20
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Quote:
Originally posted by pole2pole
Why has schumi never had a italian team mate at ferrari?
Because as it was explained before, Ferrari do not hire Italian drivers.
Quote:
Originally posted by pole2pole
What about Fisi are Trulli put these guys in this years ferrari and lets see what they do
They won't do that, because as it was explained before, Ferrari do not hire Italian drivers. Besides, Ferrari are not there to "lets see what happens". They're there to win. Another rather good and obvious reason is that maybe Trulli or Fisi, altough nice chaps and good drivers are not exactly the best...

Last edited by Red; 29 Sep 2002 at 09:17.
Old 29 Sep 2002, 09:22 (Ref:390959)   #21
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Oh, there's a difference between Capelli and Larini. Larini got along a little bit better, however he was not under same pressure. Larini was a test driver (and being an Italian driver to test Ferraris is not that hard) and he substituted Alesi in a couple of races. However Capelli was a full-time driver. He head to deal with the entire Italian press and entire nation's expectation. He didn't cope that so well, and that effectively ruined his career. That Ferrari car was really a truck, but as they say it is Ferrari who wins and the drivers who lose. Capelli was also Italian.
Old 29 Sep 2002, 09:26 (Ref:390962)   #22
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
mr v: Yeah, I know. I was just making a little funny about your Prost-esque remark and a separate point about Larini doing a good job.

Red, I think the old days of not hiring Itailan drivers (for all those scarey reasons!) could well be gone. More recently at the times when they have changed the number two the Ferarri management probably didn't rate the Italians on offer as much as the drviers they signed. It wasn't a case of ignoring the Italians, just prefering the ones the did actually sign. It is difficualt to tell when they only change every three years or so!
Old 29 Sep 2002, 09:31 (Ref:390967)   #23
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Yes, you're right, the Italian driver's offer is quite scarce, but the reasons I posted there I believe I're read them in an interview with Jean Todt. Apparently even if they had an excellent driver they would not be willing to risk a repeat...
Old 29 Sep 2002, 09:44 (Ref:390974)   #24
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
mention Italian Job and a thousand Mini lovers raise ther heads!

I find this debate a little tiresome, if the might of Ferrari cared a tinkers cuss they would troll around the Italian talent pool (and lets not carried away here - there is a Stirling Moss or Ayerton Senna (GRHS..) somewhere out there just waiting for their big break in every country) and foster a youngster/not so youngster for their program.

It seems to me that they are basically uninterested in National pride except where their cars are concerned. No being critical or too harsh, just economic reality, let someone else pay for the development costs (Germany in Schumi's case) and put the whole economic package together........

Might I suggest you all get back to sorting out why F1 is so boring! It weren't always that way!!

Last edited by 275 GTB-4; 29 Sep 2002 at 09:47.
Old 29 Sep 2002, 10:00 (Ref:390982)   #25
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Re: mention Italian Job and a thousand Mini lovers raise ther heads!

Quote:
Originally posted by 275 GTB-4
Might I suggest you all get back to sorting out why F1 is so boring! It weren't always that way!!
No offense, but I got back as you suggested and, damn, I LOVE IT!!!!!! However, if you might rephrase it something like "help me to sorting out why I find it so boring"....

Last edited by Red; 29 Sep 2002 at 10:01.