Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 14 May 2019, 17:22 (Ref:3903760)   #176
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Mechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Flying Lizard will be bringing back the Audi GT4 for the Sprint races at Sonoma, with Erin Vogel driving.
https://myemail.constantcontact.com/...id=ynz9QgVS0RQ
This is great news! There's been hints about it over the last couple of weeks, but it's cool to see confirmation.
Old 18 May 2019, 22:08 (Ref:3904572)   #177
cbbrit
Veteran

Jersey
Sonoma, California
cbbrit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcbbrit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great news for Andy Lally! He'll be racing a Ferrari F488 GT3 at Sears Point in three weeks!

https://sportscar365.com/sro/blancpa...but-at-sonoma/
Old 20 May 2019, 02:02 (Ref:3904782)   #178
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbbrit View Post
Great news for Andy Lally! He'll be racing a Ferrari F488 GT3 at Sears Point in three weeks!

https://sportscar365.com/sro/blancpa...but-at-sonoma/
Best part of this is that it will be his first World Challenge start since 2001!
Old 4 Jun 2019, 07:41 (Ref:3907818)   #179
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Back in the right direction for Sonoma - 19 GT3’s entered.
Old 5 Jun 2019, 17:05 (Ref:3908097)   #180
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
But just six GT3 entries have no bronze drivers.
Old 7 Jun 2019, 10:31 (Ref:3908434)   #181
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
But just six GT3 entries have no bronze drivers.

GT3 has always been intended as a pro-am formula. What’s the issue with that? Go watch GTE if you want pro only GT racing

Oh wait that’s only going to have 6 cars in PRO next year, so the pro pro formula is clearly a wild success

Paying amateurs is what funds these programs
Old 7 Jun 2019, 11:28 (Ref:3908439)   #182
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcarr6 View Post
GT3 has always been intended as a pro-am formula. What’s the issue with that? Go watch GTE if you want pro only GT racing

Oh wait that’s only going to have 6 cars in PRO next year, so the pro pro formula is clearly a wild success

Paying amateurs is what funds these programs
Except they have specifically marketed the cars as driven by pros and pro level racing. The management hasn't quite figured out they aren't the old SCCA WC with huge fields and mostly pro drivers at the front. It's a far change and frankly often a NASCAR event with drivers taking out other drivers aggressively seemingly without penalty. Add in nearly impossible to find and streaming that at least last time I tried wasn't the most stable thing out there means I've lost interest in the series I used to follow for every race in years past. I will admit it is multiple years but they just haven't made me want to find it.
Old 8 Jun 2019, 04:05 (Ref:3908572)   #183
Bcarr6
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Except they have specifically marketed the cars as driven by pros and pro level racing. The management hasn't quite figured out they aren't the old SCCA WC with huge fields and mostly pro drivers at the front. It's a far change and frankly often a NASCAR event with drivers taking out other drivers aggressively seemingly without penalty. Add in nearly impossible to find and streaming that at least last time I tried wasn't the most stable thing out there means I've lost interest in the series I used to follow for every race in years past. I will admit it is multiple years but they just haven't made me want to find it.

They stream on GT World’s YouTube?
Old 12 Jun 2019, 15:39 (Ref:3909554)   #184
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
https://sportscar365.com/sro/blancpa...nd-notebook-2/

Quote:
A first-of-its-kind series sponsor roundtable was held on Friday, which saw representatives from several series and team sponsors as well as series personnel exchanging ideas of how to leverage paddock relationships to make sponsorship in SRO America more effective and to raise the profile of the series.

It’s understood that the roundtable was popular and future events of this kind could be in the works at other events this year.

So now they care about sponsors and want to "raise the profile" of the championship.

Fans won't care as long as only six entries have no bronze drivers.
Old 12 Jun 2019, 22:41 (Ref:3909692)   #185
Nick Woodbury
Veteran

United States
New England
Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!
Is this series still sanctioned by USAC domestically or did that end when SRO stepped in completely?
Old 13 Jun 2019, 17:10 (Ref:3909842)   #186
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Mechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Woodbury View Post
Is this series still sanctioned by USAC domestically or did that end when SRO stepped in completely?
USAC is still involved.

https://files.world-challenge.com/ev...ntSchedule.pdf
Old 26 Jul 2019, 17:10 (Ref:3919467)   #187
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Big news for GT World Challenge America, as SRO has announced schedules today. The huge news is that Indianapolis Motor Speedway will replace Laguna Seca as the site of the IGTC's 8 Hour event, and that the Indy 8 Hour will also be the finale for the World Challenge America season.

https://sportscar365.com/sro/blancpa...c-round-added/
https://sportscar365.com/sro/igtc/ig...e-laguna-seca/

Personally I'm super excited about this, because Indianapolis is close enough to me I can easily make the trip, along with the regular trip to Road America!
Old 7 Aug 2019, 19:42 (Ref:3921850)   #188
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
GT3 cars will again be missing from GT3, because of a date clash with Monza (?)

Paddock space seems more relevant

https://sportscar365.com/sro/blancpa...obal-schedule/
Old 7 Aug 2019, 20:34 (Ref:3921863)   #189
Bcarr6
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
GT3 cars will again be missing from GT3, because of a date clash with Monza (?)

Paddock space seems more relevant

https://sportscar365.com/sro/blancpa...obal-schedule/

I kinda think Gt3 entrants don’t mind this so much. Long Beach and St Pete’s were always surefire ways to start the season with a hefty repair bill
Old 10 Aug 2019, 14:53 (Ref:3922195)   #190
cbbrit
Veteran

Jersey
Sonoma, California
cbbrit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcbbrit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Congrats on getting this drive for the remaining three races Mike! Thoroughly deserved!

https://sportscar365.com/sro/blancpa...est-of-season/
Old 10 Aug 2019, 14:59 (Ref:3922196)   #191
Mike Hedlund
Veteran

United States
Redwood City, CA
Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbbrit View Post
Congrats on getting this drive for the remaining three races Mike! Thoroughly deserved!

https://sportscar365.com/sro/blancpa...est-of-season/
Thanks man! Aiming to close out the season strong.

-mike
Old 23 Aug 2019, 00:54 (Ref:3923826)   #192
cbbrit
Veteran

Jersey
Sonoma, California
There were a couple of driver changes announced today for Ian Lacy Racing and Alegra Motorsports, in SprintX and GT America respectively, for the balance of the season:

https://sportscar365.com/sro/gt4-ame...-sprintx-east/

https://sportscar365.com/sro/blancpa...ada-at-alegra/
Old 23 Sep 2019, 18:58 (Ref:3929751)   #193
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
What is more expensive to run:

1) Full season Blancpain GT America schedule (with two 90 minute races, and longer qualifying sessions)

or

2) 2019 IMSA Weathertech Sprint cup schedule (with one 2 hour 45 minute race and just one 15 minute qualifying session)

I can't imagine Blancpain GT America is cheaper..now in 2020 we'll see what happens. Long Beach is sprint cup now for one. But maybe SRO should scale the races back to 60 minutes. I honestly have found the 90 minute races boring. Perhaps the 14-16 car grids for 90 minutes don't work very well.
Old 23 Sep 2019, 21:04 (Ref:3929780)   #194
Bcarr6
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
What is more expensive to run:

1) Full season Blancpain GT America schedule (with two 90 minute races, and longer qualifying sessions)

or

2) 2019 IMSA Weathertech Sprint cup schedule (with one 2 hour 45 minute race and just one 15 minute qualifying session)

I can't imagine Blancpain GT America is cheaper..now in 2020 we'll see what happens. Long Beach is sprint cup now for one. But maybe SRO should scale the races back to 60 minutes. I honestly have found the 90 minute races boring. Perhaps the 14-16 car grids for 90 minutes don't work very well.

I agree, 90 mins with the smaller grids doesn’t seem to create too much excitement
Old 23 Sep 2019, 23:47 (Ref:3929801)   #195
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
And haven't they added pit stops to the races? That has to add plenty of cost and now the 8 Hour at Indy race is part of the season points as the finale to drive more teams to race than had in California. All I see is costs increasing each year and nothing new to show. And I think the GT3 races are all standalone events, think GT4 and TC get to support Indycars but I don't think the big guys go. I would go if they returned to Road Atlanta but I've gone for Ferrari Challenge and SCCA events with only a few cars in each class so I might not be their target growth audience
Old 24 Sep 2019, 06:57 (Ref:3929825)   #196
Bcarr6
Veteran

Quote:
And haven't they added pit stops to the races? That has to add plenty of cost and now the 8 Hour at Indy race is part of the season points as the finale to drive more teams to race than had in California. All I see is costs increasing each year and nothing new to show. And I think the GT3 races are all standalone events, think GT4 and TC get to support Indycars but I don't think the big guys go. I would go if they returned to Road Atlanta but I've gone for Ferrari Challenge and SCCA events with only a few cars in each class so I might not be their target growth audience

Everything is standalone now

If you shaved every race back down to 60 mins, 2 driver races, you’d already shave 6 hours of running in the season

Surely that’d help budget a little.
Old 24 Sep 2019, 14:00 (Ref:3929898)   #197
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcarr6 View Post
Everything is standalone now

If you shaved every race back down to 60 mins, 2 driver races, you’d already shave 6 hours of running in the season

Surely that’d help budget a little.
Trim qualifying too.15 minute session with 1 fast lap is all you need. Maybe for race 2 the grid can be set by the fast lap of the race 2 starting driver during race 1.

I guess it was a worthy experiment for 1 year, but going back to 60 minute races is probably the best course of action. Keeping it at 90 would do nothing but give teams the justification to leave GT America and move to GTD Sprint Cup.

Speaking from the prospective of the SRO here, personally I would love to see all of these teams leave for IMSA!!
Old 24 Sep 2019, 15:51 (Ref:3929909)   #198
nasportscar
Veteran

United States
Wisconsin
nasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post

Speaking from the prospective of the SRO here, personally I would love to see all of these teams leave for IMSA!!
This doesn't make any sense, so I'm guessing there's a typo?

Anyways, I would not be opposed to go to 60 minute races and mirroring what Blancpain GT Europe Sprint or ADAC GT Masters does. Right now IMSA GTD Sprint Cup and GT America offer essentially the same thing for the same cost. One of the two needs to differentiate themselves and I really think it's the SRO that needs to make a change to keep boosting GT3 grids with full-time competitors.
Old 24 Sep 2019, 18:41 (Ref:3929932)   #199
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasportscar View Post
Right now IMSA GTD Sprint Cup and GT America offer essentially the same thing for the same cost. One of the two needs to differentiate themselves and I really think it's the SRO that needs to make a change to keep boosting GT3 grids with full-time competitors.
WHAT?? There's a HUGE difference between what GTD Sprint Cup offers than GT America. First, there are multiple manufacturer reps at the IMSA races for multiple classes, much easier communication and networking. Second, IMSA races are actually on a channel at the time of racing, well a few times later that day, but it's better than weeks later on a channel dropped from a few channel lineups recently. Yes I am only counting the actual "broadcast" not streaming in that. Third IMSA offers another step above and networking for drivers, teams, sponsors, team members, etc that is not available if the GT3 car is the top rung.
SRO HAS to offer more for the money than IMSA does to retain teams if it's going to cost as much or more. Right now it seems more like teams running either series are embedded with that series but drivers and importantly AMs and Silvers may not have that attachment and their money drives the racing. If SRO is smart they will NOT follow IMSA with the adjusting and penalizing drivers because they're fast, although the auto-upgrade from AM class after too many wins seems to be that already. But importantly they can still drive and not get pushed out of the series by being "Gold" rated.
Old 24 Sep 2019, 20:51 (Ref:3929950)   #200
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
WHAT?? There's a HUGE difference between what GTD Sprint Cup offers than GT America......
Methinks the IMSA fan doth protest too much.