Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 30 May 2019, 16:09 (Ref:3906997)   #901
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Martin Brundle's take on what an F1 car/F1 should be:

"F1 must be a drivers' championship, not an engineers' tech fest. The cars must be the angriest, flightiest most challenging machines on the planet. I don't want to see teenagers jumping in them and having it all mastered by lunchtime, and fully on the pace." Brundle

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/24...future-visions
maybe they should force everyone to use the Williams car?

im sure there are a lot of fingers to be pointed and blame to be apportioned but what Williams are going through, their lack of understanding of their problems and the lack of money to fix them is, quite frankly sirs, the predicament i would like to see every F1 team in.
Old 30 May 2019, 16:22 (Ref:3907002)   #902
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I don’t think there would be a long queue for Williams cars. If it was for the Mercs, they would probably bang the door down

At the end of a day it’s a team effort, the most organised usually stay on top and tbh that’s part of the attraction of F1. Seeing which team can make the most of what they have got under them
Old 30 May 2019, 20:30 (Ref:3907047)   #903
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
maybe they should force everyone to use the Williams car?

im sure there are a lot of fingers to be pointed and blame to be apportioned but what Williams are going through, their lack of understanding of their problems and the lack of money to fix them is, quite frankly sirs, the predicament i would like to see every F1 team in.
I think I made the same point in a round about way in the a thread recently (maybe in the "How to fix F1?" other the other that had that same topic recently).

Basically in a way... we are seeing what a cost capped team might look like. The car is not perfect. It has measurable deficiencies. But in the grand scheme of things, gets around the track quickly. Just not quick when compared to it's peers.

If everyone was driving around in something similar to the current Williams it might not be a bad thing. The top cars are so nearly "perfect" that they don't break, work well in most all situations, are likely a dream for the driver to drive and yet... are quite boring to watch most of the time.

Richard
Old 5 Jun 2019, 15:40 (Ref:3908085)   #904
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
The Rob Smedley interview in the current Motorsport Magazine is eye opening for what he didn't say.....
Found this earlier today...

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/n...sted-enough-rd

Richard
Old 5 Jun 2019, 17:06 (Ref:3908098)   #905
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Obviously budget was tight, but investing in R&D could have reaped more rewards than it would have cost
Old 6 Jun 2019, 00:01 (Ref:3908196)   #906
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Obviously budget was tight, but investing in R&D could have reaped more rewards than it would have cost
Not if you can't keep the lights on if spending exceeds income...
Williams appears to have found a number of developmental blind alleys, so there are no guarantees that R&D from that squad will deliver as promised..
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 6 Jun 2019, 11:07 (Ref:3908255)   #907
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Not if you can't keep the lights on if spending exceeds income...
Williams appears to have found a number of developmental blind alleys, so there are no guarantees that R&D from that squad will deliver as promised..
The rot started with the Wurlrus nose....
Old 6 Jun 2019, 11:27 (Ref:3908265)   #908
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
That's an interesting observation.
Old 12 Jun 2019, 22:46 (Ref:3909693)   #909
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Certainly the most obvious sign.

Could argue the rot started the day they fired Damon Hill?
Old 13 Jun 2019, 09:48 (Ref:3909751)   #910
S griffin
Veteran

I think it was more letting Adrian Newey go. He wanted a bigger stake in the company, but they refused, so their loss was McLaren's gain and now Red Bull's
Old 19 Jun 2019, 18:45 (Ref:3912950)   #911
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I think it was more letting Adrian Newey go. He wanted a bigger stake in the company, but they refused, so their loss was McLaren's gain and now Red Bull's
I think you're right about this, S griffin. Williams have always been very dogmatic in doing things the Williams why and that is/ was part of their appeal, but they could have done more to hold on to Adrian Newey, as it's clear he was integral to a lot of their success. Nowadays, with teams being much bigger and more matrix-style, perhaps the structure for success is a different world from those days, but back then they handed McLaren a massive advantage.
Old 19 Jun 2019, 19:48 (Ref:3912963)   #912
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
I can't argue with that. I suspect there has been a number of key moments in which the team could have tracked in a positive vs. negative direction. I would say doing Newey wrong (my read from his Motorsport interview) is one big one.

I also wonder if Toto Wolff leaving in 2013 was another. Not that things were good when he was there, but in hindsight, I wonder if he was doing good given what he had to work with. I don't think his exit was as much as Williams pushing him to leave (in classic Williams style) than him realizing he could do so much more at Mercedes than he ever could at Williams (probably a question of the quantity resources available to him.) I think he had (and may still have) a good relationship with Williams that went beyond him having ownership stake during that period.

I attribute his management skills as being a significant factor in allowing Mercedes F1 to execute. Mercedes could have tossed money at F1 and have been another Toyota, but instead they made it work and crushed everyone.

Then again, who knows. I think Williams have said they have identified the point in time (decisions?) that turned them south. I think most assume that was recent with that reflecting on the current cars, but maybe they are looking way back to someone like Toto and saying he screwed things up before he left and gave Claire a mess.

I actually say that jokingly because I think I have seen interviews with Claire and Toto separately and I think they have good things to say to about each other today. If I remember correctly, I "think" Toto was involved in the process of putting Claire into her current position as part of his departure.

Richard
Old 21 Jun 2019, 01:46 (Ref:3913215)   #913
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would speculate that the family made decisions about Frank leaving that have bitten them on the bum hard, simply that and no more. Everything that has happened since has been born form those decisions.
Old 22 Jun 2019, 18:32 (Ref:3913528)   #914
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Williams must do something soon starting from the back every race is not going to attract sponsors and unless they improve soon i have serious doubts they can keep going
Old 23 Jun 2019, 09:18 (Ref:3913649)   #915
S griffin
Veteran

They need to pray for rain if they are to get anywhere
Old 23 Jun 2019, 09:21 (Ref:3913651)   #916
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!

Quote:
They need to pray for rain if they are to get anywhere
If they have to change tyres a couple of hundred times in the race their pitstop speed may help them!
Old 24 Jun 2019, 07:36 (Ref:3913852)   #917
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
No hope for points this year, disgraceful
Old 24 Jun 2019, 07:52 (Ref:3913859)   #918
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
Williams must do something soon starting from the back every race is not going to attract sponsors and unless they improve soon i have serious doubts they can keep going
They have a long established team whose physical engineering assets and facilities would be attractive to anyone. It is the management that has allowed this to happen and I wonder how far the family will allow the ship to sink before facing facts and doing something about the problems they themselves have caused.
Old 25 Jun 2019, 10:51 (Ref:3914092)   #919
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Paddy Lowe has finally left.

https://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/144362
Old 25 Jun 2019, 12:18 (Ref:3914113)   #920
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
“I would especially like to thank the Williams fans who are so supportive”. Both of them......I cannot believe any fan is sad to see the man who presided over the nose dive of Williams has been supportive.
Old 25 Jun 2019, 12:23 (Ref:3914114)   #921
Casper
Veteran

Quote:
“I would especially like to thank the Williams fans who are so supportive”. Both of them......I cannot believe any fan is sad to see the man who presided over the nose dive of Williams has been supportive.
Sounds like a sarcastic back hander to the management of Williams, Claire Williams to be precise.
Old 25 Jun 2019, 14:40 (Ref:3914132)   #922
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Sounds like a sarcastic back hander to the management of Williams, Claire Williams to be precise.
Probably was direct at Williams management.

Richard
Old 25 Jun 2019, 15:19 (Ref:3914136)   #923
S griffin
Veteran

Well he was probably their best hope. Now let's see if Head's advisory role does anything
Old 25 Jun 2019, 17:03 (Ref:3914162)   #924
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The simple fact that they couldn't even manage to arrive at the all important preseason test days,totally organized and ready to go, says everything about Williams you need to know.

That is solely down to hopeless mismanagement.How the hell can a dedicated F1 Team arrive, for arguably four of the most important days of the season, and still be screwing their car together.

That can only happen because the management isn't managing.....pathetic.
Old 26 Jun 2019, 09:58 (Ref:3914246)   #925
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The previous two posts actually encapsulate why he had to go.After a long enough spell to form an opinion of the capabilities of the team he should have been able to understand the strong and weak points and act accordingly.We are given to understand that there was a purge of middle managers at Grove late last year which hints that something was awry.Then the team shows up at the second test-not the first as the car was incomplete-and the car has suspension that doesn't comply with the regulations.

A few weeks later George Russell admits that there is a fundamental problem with the car and it will take months to fix.Months have now passed and any improvement is no more than the teams with initially superior cars have made and the relative positions are pretty much unchanged.I hope for the sake of Williams that the major change will be in place after the summer break and a string of decent finishes comes along.It might give enough of a confidence boost to help with the sponsorship situation next year and it would raise morale at Grove.It all hinges on whether the engineering brains still in place can come up with an effective solution as there is no indication of any of the better known names being recruited.If a car with a Mercedes engine is at the back at a circuit like Monza we will have an answer I suppose.