Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 24 Jun 2019, 09:09 (Ref:3913883)   #26
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
they need two practice sessions as they dont have any pre-event testing on the friday like the support races do
OK, but do they need two?
Old 24 Jun 2019, 09:26 (Ref:3913885)   #27
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
they need two practice sessions as they dont have any pre-event testing on the friday like the support races do
Then give them 30 mins late on friday, all the teams are there anyway.
There are way around that
Old 24 Jun 2019, 09:31 (Ref:3913886)   #28
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by btccbloke View Post
Then give them 30 mins late on friday, all the teams are there anyway.
There are way around that
*** Edit - wrong info posted ***

Last edited by crmalcolm; 24 Jun 2019 at 09:36.
Old 24 Jun 2019, 09:41 (Ref:3913887)   #29
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
what his this future wish list got to do with a discussion on oulton park this weekend anyway?
Old 24 Jun 2019, 10:00 (Ref:3913892)   #30
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
*** Edit - wrong info posted ***
I seem to remember BMR being allowed this to shakedown the Subaru's so clearly possible
Old 24 Jun 2019, 10:15 (Ref:3913897)   #31
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Robin Marriott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It should be like it is in most club level racing, one qualifying session, your fastest time is taken for race one, second fastest time for race two.

Winning race one putting you on pole for race two doesn’t seem to work, there’s far too many occasions where the same driver wins race one and two.

The issue there is getting a qualifying session where people are able to get two laps in without a red flag...
Old 24 Jun 2019, 14:56 (Ref:3913953)   #32
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I seem to remember BMR being allowed this to shakedown the Subaru's so clearly possible
There's a big difference in the requirements at the circuit for a shakedown of 1/2 cars compared to a full 30-car session.
Old 24 Jun 2019, 15:24 (Ref:3913964)   #33
HopAlong
Racer

HopAlong should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally I think the Hard tyre is one of the reasons for the poor races, along with the resurfacing at Croft and bits of Thruxton. Its meant we haven't seen the difference in car speed between people who've looked after tyres better as there has been virtually no drop off like years prior. Doesn't help that the last three rounds have had that tyre.
Old 24 Jun 2019, 15:45 (Ref:3913969)   #34
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
There's a big difference in the requirements at the circuit for a shakedown of 1/2 cars compared to a full 30-car session.
Yes, but my point is that the facility is there, the Friday support session seems to finish at about 4,I don't believe they couldn't roll the btcc cars out if an extra practice was so crucial
Old 24 Jun 2019, 17:11 (Ref:3913980)   #35
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Yes, but my point is that the facility is there, the Friday support session seems to finish at about 4,I don't believe they couldn't roll the btcc cars out if an extra practice was so crucial
Support race testing finishes at 5pm.
Except at Donington, where it's on Thursday and Thruxton, where it's about three weeks earlier.

There really isn't any scope for BTCC testing on a Friday. As well as there not being any free track time, Friday is used for scrutineering the BTCC cars.

And some of the drivers aren't available on Fridays.

So the two practice sessions both need to be on Saturday, and there needs to be a minimum 90 minute gap between them, and a further minimum 90 minute gap before qualifying.

The Saturday timetable works pretty well as it is, and there's not much scope for changing it.

The qualifying format could be, probably should be, changed however. It just needs to fit into a 30-40 minute window.
Old 24 Jun 2019, 17:33 (Ref:3913981)   #36
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Remember this is a series where teams previously would miss events because of travel time.

Necessitating that teams are able to run a full practice session every Friday as not an insignificant extra burden.
Old 24 Jun 2019, 17:52 (Ref:3913986)   #37
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
what his this future wish list got to do with a discussion on oulton park this weekend anyway?
I was thinking the same.

Hopefully a friendly mod will be along shortly to split out the testing/timetable discussion into a separate thread.
Old 26 Jun 2019, 11:59 (Ref:3914257)   #38
Motormouth94
Rookie

Motormouth94 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't really understand why the success ballast was decreased - it was increased to 75kg in the first place in order to avoid repetitive R1/R2 results, which we now seem to be getting fairly regularly again....

In my opinion, if we went back to 75kg race winning ballast, there is actually no need for a reverse grid race. When the reverse grid was first introduced in the mid noughties, the drivers finishing at the back of the top 10 were (with respect) not usually anywhere near the pace of the top 5 or 6 drivers in the championship Therefore, excitement was guaranteed as those slower drivers fought tooth and nail to drag a result out of race 3, and the faster drivers found themselves racing people they didn't often come across. Nowadays, even drivers finishing somewhere like 15th position are more than capable of holding on at the front with no weight, especially if they are on the preferred tyre. By getting rid of the reverse grid, you guarantee that for races 2 and 3, the cars at the front will be slower (or at least in theory) than the cars behind them, thus guaranteeing overtaking/more exciting racing.

As for Oulton this weekend, I think only AMD and BTC are likely to be able to challenge the rear wheel drive cars, and BMW are likely to win at least 2, maybe all 3 races - first ever win for Oliphant perhaps....?
Old 26 Jun 2019, 12:54 (Ref:3914264)   #39
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motormouth94 View Post
I don't really understand why the success ballast was decreased - it was increased to 75kg in the first place in order to avoid repetitive R1/R2 results, which we now seem to be getting fairly regularly again....

In my opinion, if we went back to 75kg race winning ballast, there is actually no need for a reverse grid race. When the reverse grid was first introduced in the mid noughties, the drivers finishing at the back of the top 10 were (with respect) not usually anywhere near the pace of the top 5 or 6 drivers in the championship Therefore, excitement was guaranteed as those slower drivers fought tooth and nail to drag a result out of race 3, and the faster drivers found themselves racing people they didn't often come across. Nowadays, even drivers finishing somewhere like 15th position are more than capable of holding on at the front with no weight, especially if they are on the preferred tyre. By getting rid of the reverse grid, you guarantee that for races 2 and 3, the cars at the front will be slower (or at least in theory) than the cars behind them, thus guaranteeing overtaking/more exciting racing.

As for Oulton this weekend, I think only AMD and BTC are likely to be able to challenge the rear wheel drive cars, and BMW are likely to win at least 2, maybe all 3 races - first ever win for Oliphant perhaps....?
The success ballast was reduced because at 75kg + 30kg RWD penalty the BMW was something like 105kg heavier than the other cars and resulted in occasions like at Silverstone when they could barely qualify in the top 10, I think Turks managed 16th or something in that qualifying session. Even at 54kg, the BMWs (and Subaru’s in theory) could be as much as 84kg heavier than the FWD cars.
Old 26 Jun 2019, 13:49 (Ref:3914270)   #40
Motormouth94
Rookie

Motormouth94 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
The success ballast was reduced because at 75kg + 30kg RWD penalty the BMW was something like 105kg heavier than the other cars and resulted in occasions like at Silverstone when they could barely qualify in the top 10, I think Turks managed 16th or something in that qualifying session. Even at 54kg, the BMWs (and Subaru’s in theory) could be as much as 84kg heavier than the FWD cars.
However that clearly wasn't such a disadvantage over a season, since a BMW comfortably won the championship last year... And this years' BMW seems to have an even bigger advantage
Old 26 Jun 2019, 14:29 (Ref:3914272)   #41
Johno.UK
Racer

Johno.UK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motormouth94 View Post
However that clearly wasn't such a disadvantage over a season, since a BMW comfortably won the championship last year...
Not by winning races though which would have given them the biggest weight penalties for races 2 and 3.

Given it's the newest and best funded car on the grid with two of the best drivers out there it's not surprising they're doing well.
Old 26 Jun 2019, 14:33 (Ref:3914273)   #42
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I think the current system is right. There's no need to go back to high ballast of the last few seasons. It makes it too hard for a title leader to qualify in the top ten, which doesn't seem right
Old 26 Jun 2019, 15:59 (Ref:3914298)   #43
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
It makes it too hard for a title leader to qualify in the top ten, which doesn't seem right
I think this is just the reason to bring back higher ballast.

title leader qualifying at the front is one reason behind processional racing.
Old 26 Jun 2019, 22:24 (Ref:3914350)   #44
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
then can we not consider qualifying ballast free, with championship ballast then added in for the race?
Old 26 Jun 2019, 23:33 (Ref:3914355)   #45
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I think this is just the reason to bring back higher ballast.

title leader qualifying at the front is one reason behind processional racing.
So maybe it would be better to reverse whole field? 🙄 racing is racing, the best wins at the end. When a random driver gets pole and the championship leader struggles to qualify inside the top ten it's just a sign that something's not right. Similar to WTCR where you can dominate one weekend and be last the other just because someone is changing BoP...
Old 26 Jun 2019, 23:59 (Ref:3914356)   #46
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Jack Goff has the ITV4 in car camera this weekend. Any takers for the bet he doesn't make it past Cascades in R1, mechanical drama in R2 and a lonely mid 20-something in R3?
Old 27 Jun 2019, 02:00 (Ref:3914361)   #47
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by medius View Post
Jack Goff has the ITV4 in car camera this weekend. Any takers for the bet he doesn't make it past Cascades in R1, mechanical drama in R2 and a lonely mid 20-something in R3?
I thought that would have happened anyway?
Old 27 Jun 2019, 08:27 (Ref:3914388)   #48
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by medius View Post
Isn't there more than 1 onboard camera?
Old 27 Jun 2019, 08:51 (Ref:3914394)   #49
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Isn't there more than 1 onboard camera?
Think there are 4 per weekend.
Old 27 Jun 2019, 10:10 (Ref:3914403)   #50
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
Bit of a waste giving it to a team hard car really. It was great to have Jack back but what a complete waste of talent that is