Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 6 Aug 2019, 13:05 (Ref:3921680)   #176
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Is that why the cars are so floppy?
Old 6 Aug 2019, 13:27 (Ref:3921687)   #177
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Is that why the cars are so floppy?
its actually the opposite. the cage and the suspension subframes are all tied into each other. the difference is that they have full proper racing suspension front and rear. not production based suspension, so they have a greater range of adjustment.
Old 6 Aug 2019, 13:52 (Ref:3921688)   #178
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Another example of what is an NGTC car:

And the suspension setups:

Old 6 Aug 2019, 14:25 (Ref:3921693)   #179
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
So what causes them to roll around, dive and squat so much?
Old 6 Aug 2019, 14:37 (Ref:3921694)   #180
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Interesting if that's true about Jaguar. Maybe the hybrid technology appeals to them, even if they are only to be independent. After all they have really got involved in FE
Old 6 Aug 2019, 14:45 (Ref:3921695)   #181
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
So what causes them to roll around, dive and squat so much?
In a S2000 car, the suspension pivoted more than NGTC cars. This is because the suspension was based on standard production designs, as can be seen below:

This meant that, if the car was set up with zero camber, every mm of suspension travel reduced the contact patch of the tyre. To compensate, the cars ran quite a lot of camber and ran a suspension that was as firm as possible.

NGTC suspension is more of an up/down movement. This means that suspension travel does not necessarily reduce contact. The teams can run a 'softer' suspension and maintain the same level(s) of grip, and with the right damping carry a greater corner speed and cope with greater undulation.
This is why you see comparatively less occasions when cars get up on two wheels or lift a corner.

In short, they roll around more because they can and still keep a good contact.
Old 8 Aug 2019, 09:22 (Ref:3921920)   #182
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
https://www.motorsport.com/btcc/news...nship/4510004/

80% chance of Andrew Jordan leaving.

I guess BMW won't support 3 works cars then - either way, if a 330 / WSR seat is up for grabs it should make for an interesting silly season *cough* Sutton *cough*
Old 8 Aug 2019, 09:52 (Ref:3921927)   #183
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post

I guess BMW won't support 3 works cars then - either way, if a 330 / WSR seat is up for grabs it should make for an interesting silly season *cough* Sutton *cough*
He's got no money either!
Old 8 Aug 2019, 09:55 (Ref:3921929)   #184
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post

The concern regarding Jordan's comments (IMO) would be when desperation starts to kick in. If we head to the last round and Jordan sits, say, 15pts behind, then all conservative driving goes out the window.
Old 8 Aug 2019, 10:59 (Ref:3921937)   #185
Johno.UK
Racer

Johno.UK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought he was overly emotional after race 2 at Snett but I guess this explains it now. Cammish was pretty emotional as well so I hope he isn't in the same boat.
Old 8 Aug 2019, 13:15 (Ref:3921948)   #186
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
He's got no money either!
That was true of Cookie and then he landed the expensive BTC ride. Fortunes can change. Probably scope for a fortune cookie gag here...
Old 8 Aug 2019, 13:30 (Ref:3921949)   #187
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm disappointed, losing Pirtek backing is a major blow but I didn't think it'd be that hard for him to secure backing. When he claims he won't be on the grid in August, I bet it's very difficult for him.
It's really a shame that BTCC is a pay-and-drive series, no one likes seeing big names out because of lack of money. It doesn't happen in championships like Supercars or NASCAR.
Old 8 Aug 2019, 13:34 (Ref:3921950)   #188
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
I'm disappointed, losing Pirtek backing is a major blow but I didn't think it'd be that hard for him to secure backing. When he claims he won't be on the grid in August, I bet it's very difficult for him.
It's really a shame that BTCC is a pay-and-drive series, no one likes seeing big names out because of lack of money. It doesn't happen in championships like Supercars or NASCAR.
It is a shame but by declaring it in August it gives him more time to find the backing for next year. Even if he does win the championship this year it may be too late for him to secure backing i time (unless he already has someone on board who says they will back him if he's 2019 champion).
Old 8 Aug 2019, 14:10 (Ref:3921951)   #189
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
At this stage, my guess is that there is only four, and possibly five drivers that have a secured drive in 2020.

The four all drive for family ran teams.
Old 8 Aug 2019, 14:18 (Ref:3921952)   #190
Johno.UK
Racer

Johno.UK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
BTCC isn't even close to those in the terms of money generated. Pretty sure there are still pay drivers in both though.
Old 8 Aug 2019, 15:08 (Ref:3921953)   #191
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
It is a shame but by declaring it in August it gives him more time to find the backing for next year. Even if he does win the championship this year it may be too late for him to secure backing i time (unless he already has someone on board who says they will back him if he's 2019 champion).
Pirtek ending their sponsorship was announced in April and the possibly of Jordan not continuing in BTCC was raised almost immediately.
https://www.autosport.com/btcc/news/...of-btcc-career

Not sure that the recent 'news' is telling us anything we didn't already know, other than being a reminder that he is still looking for potential sponsors (and frankly, find me a driver who isn't), or perhaps it's a journo desperate to fill a quota and re-hashing and old story.
Old 8 Aug 2019, 15:50 (Ref:3921955)   #192
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
other than being a reminder that he is still looking for potential sponsors (and frankly, find me a driver who isn't), or perhaps it's a journo desperate to fill a quota and re-hashing and old story.
Old 8 Aug 2019, 16:18 (Ref:3921959)   #193
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Pirtek ending their sponsorship was announced in April and the possibly of Jordan not continuing in BTCC was raised almost immediately.
https://www.autosport.com/btcc/news/...of-btcc-career

Not sure that the recent 'news' is telling us anything we didn't already know, other than being a reminder that he is still looking for potential sponsors (and frankly, find me a driver who isn't), or perhaps it's a journo desperate to fill a quota and re-hashing and old story.
What this story tells us today is that AJ hasn't secured backing for 2020. Although it's hardly surprising, what I'm more surprised about is that Jordan says he's almost certain about him not being in the championship next year. I think it's quite early for such claims.
Old 8 Aug 2019, 16:36 (Ref:3921962)   #194
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Having bounced around a number of different cars/teams, then perhaps the realisation of being in arguably the best NGTC car in arguably the best BTCC team still doesn't equal another title has struck home?
Old 8 Aug 2019, 16:40 (Ref:3921963)   #195
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Having bounced around a number of different cars/teams, then perhaps the realisation of being in arguably the best NGTC car in arguably the best BTCC team still doesn't equal another title has struck home?
I think it's more the realisation that he's had a single major sponsor for the last umpteen years and once that goes away, finding a replacement isn't that simple.
Old 8 Aug 2019, 17:05 (Ref:3921964)   #196
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johno.UK View Post
BTCC isn't even close to those in the terms of money generated. Pretty sure there are still pay drivers in both though.
Oh yes; Supercars I believe so and NASCAR I know so. In fact a young man, Justin Haley, was a surprise winner at Daytona last month. In a pay to drive ride. A good chunk of the cash came from a backer (Fraternal Order of Eagles) but the family contributed too.
Old 8 Aug 2019, 17:09 (Ref:3921965)   #197
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Quote:
I think it's more the realisation that he's had a single major sponsor for the last umpteen years and once that goes away, finding a replacement isn't that simple.
Absolutely. And Pirtek involvement with the Jordans goes back to when AJs dad raced. So it was Mike who originally built the relationship and struck a deal.

I hope he finds a way to stay as he is quality. Being second to Colin Turkington is a damn fine achievement.
Old 8 Aug 2019, 17:22 (Ref:3921966)   #198
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It seems the Pirtek backing was that crucial for him. Can’t remember though if he had any on his car when he drove for the works Vauxhall team in 09?

Despite being a works team, AJ runs under a separate banner from Colin and Tom, does that say something?
Old 8 Aug 2019, 18:16 (Ref:3921971)   #199
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yes he had Pirtek on his car only but they were small stickers

https://cdn-1.motorsport.com/static/...rew-jordan.jpg
Old 8 Aug 2019, 18:19 (Ref:3921972)   #200
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
It seems the Pirtek backing was that crucial for him. Can’t remember though if he had any on his car when he drove for the works Vauxhall team in 09?
Jordan had minor Pirtek sponsorship in 2009, following the withdrawal of Eurotech who didn't run their car. Pirtek became title sponsor of Eurotech in 2010.